BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like OP's family friend may not have many years left.  At 30% heart function, how much would healthy living be expected to extend their life?  Maybe their plan of enjoying their remaining time isn't so bad.
View Quote
No no no, they are enjoying themselves because it's too much trouble to not be fat and not smoke.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
People here do it and look at it as some badge of honor or proof of toughness

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think people do this because they think they deserve it.
View Quote

That's part of it (and I'm speaking from personal experience).  I will also agree that my liver will never forgive me for what I put it through.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh well. This world is turning to shit and 99% of the people in it are shit. I’ve raised my children and enjoyed most everything that I wanted to in this life. When it’s over, whether it be tomorrow or in 50 years, no complaints.
View Quote

100% this. We are on borrowed time from our first breath. Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had four weekend neighbors who were drunks, one is now dead.

One is 400 lbs and just came up for the weekend. He brought 60 bears and drank all 60 plus a half of bottle of vodka. Sad thing is the guy had a lap band put in years ago to help lose weight and he is heavier than ever because of his drinking. He has some heart issues now and is on meds for it.

Another has been a functional alcoholic for his entire adult life, now 70. He is also a pain pill popper and a two pack a day smoker. By his own admission he had tried ever drug there was to be had during his life. Two years ago he had a serious heart where they cracked him open. He now has a major issue with a blockage in his leg. He said he will switch to vaping. As if that is going to help him.

Another one is a beer a day guy with the rest of the day being spent by consuming a never ending glass of vodka on ice.  His wife died from alcoholism, she was also a two pack a day woman.  Looking at old pictures it was amazing how her looks transformed as her alcoholism got worse.

My buddy who died had diabetes like his father and just like his dad they started cutting toes off and than a finger. They wound up taking his leg and shortly thereafter he died. He would come up with a case of alcohol for a few days and several cakes. He would test his blood sugar and smile if it was in a good range which meant he could drink more.

Life long friends wife died just before Christmas. She apparently drank herself to death in about five years.
View Quote

I keep thinking about all the threads claiming doctors are making us fat, or that there is some kind of government conspiracy making our food bad and that's why everyone is fat and sickly.

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
had a heart attack at age 44.  when i woke up, doc says "you can keep smoking and probably be dead in 5 years, or quit and live another 50."

not only did i quit, nowadays i take vitamins and vegetables and shit.
View Quote

I had a heart attack a little over 10 years ago when I was 56. The cardiologist asked if I smoked and when I told him I had quit seven years earlier, he said "That probably saved your life".
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Former coworker.

Was huge when I started working. Fought with company insurance to get lap band surgery. Since she had a long history of weight related issues, they made her go through counseling, eat a strictly controlled diet, lots of conditions had to be fulfilled both before the surgery and for years AFTER the surgery.

She got much thinner and fit, and was happy.

Since she couldn't take out her destructive impulses on herself with food, she turned to destructive sexual behavior, even going so far as it get herself held hostage by a rapist.

Once the dietary and psychological requirements were met, she went back to self destructive eating. She blew up even bigger than she was before, and started drinking bottles of alcohol at a time. I once saw her drink a 750 of Eagle Rare in like half an hour.

Because of the surgery, she was supposed to take specific vitamins, and she didn't   She had the expected joint issues from weight as well.  She ate herself into the hospital, and then died.

Her family said it was cancer. We all know better.
View Quote

I don't know anyone that has had gastric surgery of any kind that doesn't have some kind of vitamin or medicine adsorption problem. Even the ones that don't gain the weight back seem to have these problems.

I have a friend/ex coworker that had I think a lap band. Her stomach is smaller, it wasn't a gastric bypass.

She has terrible arthritis, high BP, diabetes, AFib, and a really bad memory. Really bad. She likes to dance and goes a lot, it's pretty tame dancing, not the kind that Basil lady does. She can't walk far and walks really really slow when she does.

Some of those things are likely from poor habits from before the surgery but not all. The unpredictable effects of medicine happens because her stomach is small.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I see it all the time in my line of work. Of course people always say that they are here for a good time, but not a long time. But as soon as death knocks at the door they demand every single ungodly expensive intervention known to medical science. This has enormous costs and then -as soon as they get better- they go right back to doing what they were doing.

It's like someone who never changes their oil  complaining about how expensive it is to keep rebuilding their engine. Except the taxpayers eat those costs most of the time
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a family member with COPD so bad she can barely walk across the room without sitting down to catch her breath, but she still smokes like a chimney. She'll buy cigarettes rather than inhalers, then complain about being short of breath. Refuses to go to a doctor because they just "judge" her about smoking and being dramatically underweight. She won't eat because of "anxiety," but won't see a doctor about that, either.

It's fundamentally mental illness. Depression, self-loathing, unconscious death wish, something alone those lines.
View Quote

I know someone like that.
Yep, all that. You directly hit the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see it all the time in my line of work. Of course people always say that they are here for a good time, but not a long time. But as soon as death knocks at the door they demand every single ungodly expensive intervention known to medical science. This has enormous costs and then -as soon as they get better- they go right back to doing what they were doing.

It's like someone who never changes their oil  complaining about how expensive it is to keep rebuilding their engine. Except the taxpayers eat those costs most of the time
View Quote

GTFO. People do not want to suffer? Odd.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of people.

Just go out in public some time.

Lots of people I went to high school with, and younger, have ruined their bodies with booze, all before age 40.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Smokers.

Not only are they nasty as fuck, they make everything/everyone around them nasty as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

GTFO. People do not want to suffer? Odd.
View Quote

They don't way to do the things to prevent the suffering and when things are suggested it's responded to with edgy comments about enjoying life, and "nobody lives forever". Then when the inevitable happens others have their lives interrupted to take care of a forever child.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Most of us believe this person is mentally fucked up, and needs serious mental therapy, meds, etc, but rages if anyone suggests they have an issue. Fuck, mentioning they probably have sleep apnea results in angry rants. “ I DONT HAVE SLEEP APNEA!!! “.

Lol, ok.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a family member with COPD so bad she can barely walk across the room without sitting down to catch her breath, but she still smokes like a chimney. She'll buy cigarettes rather than inhalers, then complain about being short of breath. Refuses to go to a doctor because they just "judge" her about smoking and being dramatically underweight. She won't eat because of "anxiety," but won't see a doctor about that, either.

It's fundamentally mental illness. Depression, self-loathing, unconscious death wish, something alone those lines.

Most of us believe this person is mentally fucked up, and needs serious mental therapy, meds, etc, but rages if anyone suggests they have an issue. Fuck, mentioning they probably have sleep apnea results in angry rants. “ I DONT HAVE SLEEP APNEA!!! “.

Lol, ok.

Not sure why you’d spend time around or even bother talking to or interacting with someone like that.

FaMiLy FrIeNd

Yeah, sounds like an amazing friend.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#15]
See it?.....hell, I've LIVED it.....2nd wife....been divorced since '08....she still nose-dive'n t'day fars I know....
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Congrats on getting something like easily treatable colon cancer because DURR HEALTH SYSTEM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some people are like me, and just say fuck it I’m going to live until I die and I’m going to enjoy myself in between then.

I’m not into any hard drugs and I don’t drink, but I am 47 years old 6 foot tall and have never weighed more than 150 pounds. I don’t gain weight, and I can lose 5 pounds a day on demand. My entire life I eat anything and everything I want at any time. I haven’t been to a doctor in over 20 years and I don’t go unless there is a major issue. I refuse to be a cash cow for a corrupt health system. Again I plan on living until I die and enjoying myself while I’m here.

The end.

Congrats on getting something like easily treatable colon cancer because DURR HEALTH SYSTEM

Yep. Sounds like my wife’s ex. Everything is the government’s fault and everyone is out to get him. He’s a decent guy, but he’s also an ignorant sumbitch who has an excuse for everything and does everything he can to make sure nobody expects anything from him.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Unfortunately, yes I have.  He died at 56 years old from a heart attack brought on by alcoholism and prescription drug abuse after getting several DUIs and getting into a couple wrecks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They don't way to do the things to prevent the suffering and when things are suggested it's responded to with edgy comments about enjoying life, and "nobody lives forever". Then when the inevitable happens others have their lives interrupted to take care of a forever child.
View Quote

Yeah what you going to do though with human nature, free will, and such? Worry about the shit you can control not others actions.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I worked with a guy who on Friday, on the way home, would stop and get three cases of beer, 72 cans, and by Sunday afternoon, they were all gone, he did this every weekend...

He died of liver cancer/failure

It will take me 10 years to drink 72 cans of beer

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Perfect thread to recommend Dr. Peter Attia. He’s a longevity expert and has great things to say about all this. I just started his book today.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Im an electrician. We have a 60 year old apprentice (he’s a retired data comm guy) and the dude drinks so much beer and smokes so much weed and takes so many pills that no one, not even him, can figure out how he is alive. We constantly joke about his impending death and dude just has 0 fucks to give. Id almost respect it if he didn’t have 3 kids.

The worst part of the whole thing is that doped up boomer shithead is more reliable and a better worker than most of my younger guys.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#22]
alcoholics all the time
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I knew a guy years ago, a biker, really a good guy.  he lost his wife to cancer.  a few years later he came home to find his only child, a son, had shot himself dead.  that was it, nothing to live for. the fella quit his job, sat down & drank continuously until he died.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#26]
My mother used to smoke as I was bringing her back from chemotherapy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#27]
People have the freedom to live however they would like.

I quit smoking a few years ago. What funny is the people in my family who don't take care of themselves end up living forever while the ones who are obsessed with being healthy have died off from cancer.

Really a roll of the dice even if you do everything right.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
every body dies and no one makes it out alive.....fuckin live it up and enjoy yourself.

I ain't here for a long time, Im here for a good time.

View Quote

Fair enough, but not being able to breathe and alienating friends and family because you're disgusting is not much of a good time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I see a 400lb dude who walks with a cane bring a sack to the work self-serve snack center and fill it with all kinds of shit. I've also heard him complain about his knees. He's swollen like a walking dog tick and doubt the dude makes it to 50. A heart attack waiting to happen if diabetes doesn't get him first.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I see a 400lb dude who walks with a cane bring a sack to the work self-serve snack center and fill it with all kinds of shit. I've also heard him complain about his knees. He's swollen like a walking dog tick and doubt the dude makes it to 50. A heart attack waiting to happen if diabetes doesn't get him first.
View Quote

Must be an impressive snack center. The super fat hate moving, it’s painful. What all do they have?
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I watched helplessly as a friend of 50 years committed suicide last year

He put the bottle to his head and pulled the trigger,  and there was nothing we could do to stop him

Fuck alcohol
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
i'm in oncology sales and last week i saw these two old couple has to be over 90 years olds go back into their old pick-up and fire up their cancer sticks outside of a cancer hospital too, they left their oxygen tanks in the parking lot
View Quote

If I make it to 90, I'll probably burn one in the Hospital parking lot too.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I quit smoking a few years ago. What funny is the people in my family who don't take care of themselves end up living forever while the ones who are obsessed with being healthy have died off from cancer.

View Quote

That's just confirmation bias. It happens, but not as often.

The scary part it really though, is that if a healthy person lives long enough, they will get cancer. It's just a matter of whether or not something else takes them out first. Cancer rates are lower in obese people because they don't live long enough for it to show up.

Anecdotally (and I use this story as an example a few times a year), I have two uncles on either side of the family that are the same age (or were). One of them was overweight and smoked his whole life, loved to eat and drink and have fun, and didn't have any major issues for awhile. I think he was either late 40's or early 50's when he had a heart attack. They fixed him up and he felt a lot better.

Then as he approached 60 the chickens came home to roost. Health issues compounded rapidly, and he was basically on borrowed time. Ended up dying after a few years of really being in a lot of pain.

My other uncle, never smoked and only drinks socially. Always active, coached sports, works outside at his house constantly, and got into riding his bike up to 100 miles at a time. He's in his 60's now and still kicking. Showing his age, but still in better shape than many men 20 years younger than him. Quality of life has remained high and probably will remain high for many more years.

Being obese and smoking are the two things that people have complete control over regarding their own health, and will still chose to do either or both. The difference it makes in quality of life, especially in older age is substantial, and everyone knows it, but no one seems to care.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I think some people just lose interest in life.  Maybe not enough to put a gun to their head, but they reach a point where they just feel like life is something that has become a take it or leave it sort of thing and they don’t much care either way.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fair enough, but not being able to breathe and alienating friends and family because you're disgusting is not much of a good time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
every body dies and no one makes it out alive.....fuckin live it up and enjoy yourself.

I ain't here for a long time, Im here for a good time.

They don't realize that, if they don't go in their sleep or drop dead on the toilet, the last 1 or 2 years of pain and misery is going to feel like a whole lifetime.

My dad's misery lasted for 22 years. He was a miserable person, to add to it. Amazing that he lived that long. I knew he'd given up (he said as much many times), and he'd land in the hospital with some major problem...you figure this is the end for him, and he fights just enough to get back home...wtf, death must be scary for some.

You show everybody you have no respect for yourself, don't expect anyone else to respect you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My mother used to smoke as I was bringing her back from chemotherapy.
View Quote

I worked with a lady that had emphysema. She would sit at her sewing machine on oxygen, then take it off and go have a couple of cigarettes on break time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Ever see someone simply DESTROY their health, and keep doubling down on it ?
View Quote
Every time I see my PCP. Every female in there is either obese or morbidly obese.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think I remember you posting that you had a heart attack - maybe like 6 or 8 years ago?  Didn't you used to have an avatar of a fish and a woman in a yellow raincoat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
had a heart attack at age 44.  when i woke up, doc says "you can keep smoking and probably be dead in 5 years, or quit and live another 50."

not only did i quit, nowadays i take vitamins and vegetables and shit.

I think I remember you posting that you had a heart attack - maybe like 6 or 8 years ago?  Didn't you used to have an avatar of a fish and a woman in a yellow raincoat?

yep - 2016.  old avatar was 'red tide' by frank hopper (NSFW).

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#39]
My brother in law. He was one of the most athletic guys I’ve ever known but he was a lifelong smoke and heavy beer drinker most of his life. One day he straight up quit smoking and didn’t have another cigarette for 13 years. Then out of the blue, he started smoking like a chimney. He lasted a few more years and told my sister he couldn’t breathe and needed her to take him to the hospital. He had one last smoke in the hospital parking lot. He was dead in 3 days.

It’s like just said “fuck it, I’m done”. He ended up leaving my sister with a mountain of credit card debt and owing me several thousand dollars. He apparently got himself buried in debt by trying to keep up with his wealthy golf buddies. We learned later that he would go golfing with his friends, golf one hole then sit in the cart the rest of the round. He never stopped drinking. Fuck his asshole friends for not saying something to my sister.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, I knew some people who got the vax.  They knew it was risky but wanted to travel......   Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Confirmation bias. As I age the people I know that didn't take care of themselves are as you would expect. Of course they all blame it on genetics, luck, what have you. One thing that stands out for me is the ones that blame genetics actually have a healthy extended family, except for the ones with poor eating habits.

It's so bad that I rarely see them, it's like hanging out with 90 year olds. Their "I want to enjoy life" habits have made them into invalids before their time. They are hardly enjoying life, and it's been awhile before they've had any joy, unless you count living on beer and cigarettes joy.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top