Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2021 9:33:16 PM EDT
Sure it sucked not having power since Monday morning, but you know what...I haven't had to get a beer out of the fridge since then. It is so much more convenient just having them with you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Just like up north.    

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I mean, I hate Yankees as much as everyone else...but they're onto something with that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to our world, TX.

Sucks when you're not ready for it, but I've got to admit, looking in as an outsider it gets a little hilarious sometimes.

We finally got a break from subzero today. Still cold as fuck, but not horrible like the past 10 days. Temps trending up and supposed to hit 40 by Monday.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Cold just sucks the life out of you. Quite literally. Yeah, I have cold weather clothes. Doesnt change the fact being outside sucks. And then you just get drenched in sweat from trapping in too much heat. Once you take off your winter jacket now your wet AND cold. I should move...
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The bigger problem is yet to come.  The price of electricity is going to sky rocket.  Hopefully somehow this shit doesn't happen.  We really need to harness the resources we have and use them to our advantage.  

And Texas wants to be it's own country.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sure it sucked not having power since Monday morning, but you know what...I haven't had to get a beer out of the fridge since then. It is so much more convenient just having them with you.
View Quote

Positive thinking, my dude
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cold just sucks the life out of you. Quite literally. Yeah, I have cold weather clothes. Doesnt change the fact being outside sucks. And then you just get drenched in sweat from trapping in too much heat. Once you take off your winter jacket now your wet AND cold. I should move...
View Quote

Unless you're Wim Hoff
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sucks when you're not ready for it, but I've got to admit, looking in as an outsider it gets a little hilarious sometimes.

We finally got a break from subzero today. Still cold as fuck, but not horrible like the past 10 days. Temps trending up and supposed to hit 40 by Monday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We were fine. The SIL right down the road had a generator running heaters and a tv to keep the kids busy, and I have enough hunting clothes to where when it was down in the teens/20s, I was just kinda chilly like I'd need to put a hoodie on. I slept at home, (I've been playing by deer camp rules, but not enough to stay in a house with like 7 kids), and my mom was freaking out that I was going to freeze to death without a heater. Slept in my clothes in a sleeping bag and I woke up sweating.

Quoted:
The bigger problem is yet to come.  The price of electricity is going to sky rocket.  Hopefully somehow this shit doesn't happen.  We really need to harness the resources we have and use them to our advantage.  

And Texas wants to be it's own country.

This is a positive thread...go be negative somewhere else.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully it freezes all the dam ticks and fleas off!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably...I found a couple birdsicles in my yard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I have to ask, how was everyone's preps etc?

I would think the average Afcomer saw this as a good SHTF test for their equipment and preps.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What ya'll need, a bunch of pallets, torch, a snow shovel or flat shovel, lawn chairs, and A snow plow on a regular cab short box.

What you do is make a snow bank like a circle shape. This is where a regular cab short box with a plow is handy.
Plow your circle.
It should be open enough the hitch taps the snow bank behind you.
You will exit the circle where you initially plowed into.

Now. In the middle? Take your pallets. Throw them down and make a teepee shape with some.

Place your lawn chairs about 10 feet back.
Get your show shovel and make mounds of snow and pack them tight. This is supposed to be level with the armrests on your chair.
Place your beer in the mounds.
Light pallets with your torch.

We used to line the ladies chairs with tin foil to reflect the heat because they're always boohooing they're cold meanwhile their boots are melting that's how close they are to the fire... if it's not your first go with snow... then its okay.

Best part about "cold" and winters up north? You can drink double triple what you normally could and no hang over.

Now why the circle snow bank around the fire pit?
2 reasons.
1. If you did it right/have enough snow? The snow bank should be about 6 7 feet high to defeat the wind.
2. Keeps the heat in. The snow sort of acts like insulation... it won't all melt. But. If it's cold enough? What started to melt will freeze solid as concrete.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
About 10yrs ago we had almost a month of single digit temps.

Those fuckers were still around come april.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would think the average Afcomer saw this as a good SHTF test for their equipment and preps.
View Quote

I had to make a beer run because it was too early for whiskey. Normal beer was still in stock, imports and craft beer was going fast. Other than, it was like a hurricane party, even if I didn't have any food, I knew plenty of people that were grilling and they said if I wanted to come over I was more than welcome and there was more than enough. I really need to up my grill game because I'm horrible at it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing kills the bastards. -50 and the following spring I got ehrlichiosis from a tick.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What ya'll need, a bunch of pallets, torch, a snow shovel or flat shovel, lawn chairs, and A snow plow on a regular cab short box.

What you do is make a snow bank like a circle shape. This is where a regular cab short box with a plow is handy.
Plow your circle.

Now. In the middle? Take your pallets. Throw them down and make a teepee shape with some.

Get your show shovel and make mounds of snow and pack them tight. This is supposed to be level with the armrests on your chair.

We used to line the ladies chairs with tin foil to reflect the heat because they're always boohooing they're cold meanwhile their boots are melting that's how close they are to the fire... if it's not your first go with snow... then its okay.

Best part about "cold" and winters up north? You can drink double triple what you normally could and no hang over.

2 reasons.
1. If you did it right/have enough snow? The snow bank should be about 6 7 feet high to defeat the wind.
2. Keeps the heat in. The snow sort of acts like insulation... it won't all melt. But. If it's cold enough? What started to melt will freeze solid as concrete.
View Quote

That's all well and good, but we didn't even get enough snow to cover out yard, let alone do all that. I am going to use this as a reason to tell my wife I need a flamethrower though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Not this Texan:
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Fuck that shit...my cowboy boots are way to worn out to wear close to anything resembling ice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Few years ago we went something like 64 days where the air temperature never got above zero.  We still have tons of ticks every summer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Back in the day men were men and prepared to be ready for anything and didnt need nothin from the gubment.

Now muh gubment will help me, I think, haha.

I hope you Texans realize aint nobody gonna save you but yourself/family/neighbors and you aint as badass as you think cause yall live in Texas.

This time is more important than ever to solidify the bond with thy neighbor and look out for each other cause gubment dont care.

Except for commies, because fuck commies and FJB.

God Bless Texas.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#23]
It's nice I just went out and used the snowblower outside  for abit..wearing shorts and a shirt.  Its minus 20 but not to damp so it's ok.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That, not having to process game right away and less ‘undesireables’ is why the cold North is good.

People wonder why we have fridges in the garage. So the beer doesn’t freeze in the winter.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#25]
It is about 40F in NC.  Does your wife have a boyfriend because you are sure a retard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Back in the day men were men and prepared to be ready for anything and didnt need nothin from the gubment.

Now muh gubment will help me, I think, haha.

I hope you Texans realize aint nobody gonna save you but yourself/family/neighbors and you aint as badass as you think cause yall live in Texas.

This time is more important than ever to solidify the bond with thy neighbor and look out for each other cause gubment dont care.

Except for commies, because fuck commies and FJB.

God Bless Texas.
View Quote

Ya, it's not that hard. One guys grilling shit, ok, I'm going on a beer run, who wants what?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, you should just buy better quality winter clothing that allows you to vent moisture properly.

Layering is something even this Florida cracker can figure out... spent eight days camping in the desert between 7 degrees and 60 degrees in December, both on snow and dry ground, and was never wet or (too) cold...
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They not dumb, they hide.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mild inconvenience.

I have learned to love sweatpants. Does anyone know if Crye makes tier one sweatpants?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It is about 40F in NC.  Does your wife have a boyfriend because you are sure a retard.
View Quote

I'm.not in NC

You new guys sure bring alot of quality to the board
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No, you should just buy better quality winter clothing that allows you to vent moisture properly.

Layering is something even this Florida cracker can figure out... spent eight days camping in the desert between 7 degrees and 60 degrees in December, both on snow and dry ground, and was never wet or (too) cold...
View Quote

I don't even have decent winter clothes, just long johns, flannel and hoodies was good enough for the 20s.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm.not in NC

View Quote

Tag says NC, USA for you ma’am.  I assume NC in your definition means No Cajones?

I await your studious reply, but only if your wife’s bf approves.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm.not in NC

View Quote

At least I'm not as stupid for being a teener anymore.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Few years ago we went something like 64 days where the air temperature never got above zero.  We still have tons of ticks every summer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This settles warm weather has caused tick apocalypse.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

How many times today did you want muh gubment cause your balls are lost between your rolls?

How do I get another zero so my post count matches my join date?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't even have decent winter clothes, just long johns, flannel and hoodies was good enough for the 20s.
View Quote

Heck, you can go hobo style.  Wad up newspaper into loose balls and stuff your clothes with them, maybe between layers.  

You'll be warm.  Real warm.

Cold feet?  Trace your feet out on three or four layers of newspaper, cut that out and stick it in your shoes like a dr scholls insert.  They'll warm up quick.

Just don't get TOO warm or you sweat and then you'll freeze.  If you sweat up your clothes, change 'em, especially cotton stuff.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The nat gas supply issues should have sent a bit of a rumble through the nat gas generator guys.  

It's usually a ridiculously reliable method of fueling stuff like that and has proven itself through all manner of hurricane and whatnot, but it's NOT a failsafe, run or die utility.  It too can fail.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#38]
It is because wussies + internet.  I remember standing a small peak outside of Bandera, Tx when i was like 12. That big hill is called Polly's Peak. My brother, me and two buddies climbed up, just to get a good view to check out the ice storm that glazed the Hill Country down there. We all had coats, gloves, knit hats, wool sox, cowboy boots and Converse on. We walked back down the mile to my bud's ranch when our feet were getting cold.

In my dad's young days they just bundled up for what they called "blue tailed northerns". Sucked, but they just endured it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How many times today did you want muh gubment cause your balls are lost between your rolls?

How do I get another zero so my post count matches my join date?  
View Quote

None, I was helping my neighbors, toting buckets of water so they flush their toilet and shit because it was colder in my house than it was in NC and everybody's stuff got froze over.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Heck, you can go hobo style.  Wad up newspaper into loose balls and stuff your clothes with them, maybe between layers.  

You'll be warm.  Real warm.

Cold feet?  Trace your feet out on three or four layers of newspaper, cut that out and stick it in your shoes like a dr scholls insert.  They'll warm up quick.

Just don't get TOO warm or you sweat and then you'll freeze.  If you sweat up your clothes, change 'em, especially cotton stuff.
View Quote

Ya, at first I had a waist length duster on, but it was too warm. It was fine for throwing snow with my kids, because it's waterproof, but for actually doing shit, it was making me sweat.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ya, at first I had a waist length duster on, but it was too warm. It was fine for throwing snow with my kids, because it's waterproof, but for actually doing shit, it was making me sweat.
View Quote

Yea, don't sweat.  Move slower.  Take it easy.  It sucks being cold until your clothes dry out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Man, to be a plumber in TX the next month or three....

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Man, to be a plumber in TX the next month or three....

https://www.dictionary.com/e/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/money-mouth-emoji.png
View Quote

It'd be like my dad (builds houses) after all the hurricanes. One of my friends was just taking to him about who could do some addons to his house or something after Harvey...

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Tag says NC, USA for you ma’am.  I assume NC in your definition means No Cajones?

I await your studious reply, but only if your wife’s bf approves.
View Quote

Stay in school kid, eventually your balls will drop and youll learn how to have a conversation with adults.  Odd you keep mentioning my wifes boyfriend. Maybe you want to fuck the boyfriend? Its ok buddy, we dont judge, you go get some man love and report back how it was being the catcher...cause based on your replies I dont see you pitching nothing but bullshit..

Cheers sunshine...
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a 13er now your practically a lifer .  We like 13ers now..your like family. Just leave the wifes boyfriend alone, hes reserved for the little fella above who humps legs and maybe livestock...
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:39:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL yeah after having to work outside all weekend , I went out to start the car the last couple mornings in jeans and a T shirt and thought hell it's not too bad out
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:43:10 AM EDT
[#48]

What am i looking at in your avatar?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LOL yeah after having to work outside all weekend , I went out to start the car the last couple mornings in jeans and a T shirt and thought hell it's not too bad out
View Quote

I did a 3 mile walk with the dog yesterday. I wore just sweatpants, tshirt, and a under armor 3/4 zip lightweight thing that doesn't do much and it was 34 degrees. It was fucking hot and had to peel a layer....
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Plow your circle.

2 reasons.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top