Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2021 1:26:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It was in reality a pretty shitty plane. Once they got bounced off the carrier a few times and exposed to salt air for a few weeks, none of the magic systems worked. On paper they could turn, but as an adversary my philosophy was to make them prove it, and not one ever did. And you could see them forever and ever amen.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Great airplane fer sure. But it is very complex and expensive to maintain.

I have fondness for the F4 Phantom....  but that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]

I love the classic Bear intercept pics from the cold war Tomcat days.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was in reality a pretty shitty plane. Once they got bounced off the carrier a few times and exposed to salt air for a few weeks, none of the magic systems worked. On paper they could turn, but as an adversary my philosophy was to make them prove it, and not one ever did. And you could see them forever and ever amen.
View Quote

Booooooo
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty birds, but most spent the deployments in Hangar Bay 3.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

But they still looked cool. I loved them at the airshows back in the day. Didn't they try to launch a J version - it was loud as F%^*.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
But, did the Soviets know that?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Always loved the paint.

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Now this is just rubbing their noses in it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Saw one at a roadside park just a couple days ago.  Off I-70.  Let me see if I can find it on ye olden google maps:

See if this works: F-14 at WaKeeny Kansas

(I've stopped there and taken pics in the past, but can't find them right now....)
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its seems like the secret to success in fighter aircraft design is to make something that appeals to the immature Corvette-like capabilities: burn a shit ton of gas going straight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Very cool jet, I fly one in a flight sim. I'm glad I don't have to worry about the reliability issues they've been said to be plagued with.

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Its seems like the secret to success in fighter aircraft design is to make something that appeals to the immature Corvette-like capabilities: burn a shit ton of gas going straight.
View Quote

There was a lot to be said for One-Pass-Haul-Ass back in those days.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You and your damn reality.

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]
From the USS Midway.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Still my favorite plane. Challenging but fun to fly in DCS.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I loved the F14 until I saw a documentary where one was almost shot down by a Zero.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I loved the F14 until I saw a documentary where one was almost shot down by a Zero.
View Quote

I saw that one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Early in my EE career, I worked for a defense company that did RES and EW systems for several fighters/APGs, mainly F-14 and F-15. I made a few on-site trips to Pt Mugu, Pax River, and Hughes LAX labs for integration and test stuff. I talked to several pilots, heard some cool stories, and a couple guys gave me some patches.  I've nothing but respect for military aviators.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#21]
The A/B models are kind of stuck in between the 3rd and 4th gen fighters.  If you lump in in with 3rd gen the absolutely rule the roost.  If you put them in with 4th gen then they are difficult to fly/maintain and cannot use many of the more modern weapons.  It was plane designed for a specific mission (fleet defense) and that mission was just never really came to be needed.  IThe F-14 and more specially the phoenix missile was a phenomenal deterrent.    The D model became a really good air to ground platform in later years but at that point they are just trying to make the best of what they had.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone watched Top Gun too many times.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#23]
The maintainers don’t miss them.

Actually a really good plane for what it was designed for, intercepting Soviet bombers.

Their time has long passed though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This coming from an F4 pilot. A plane that turned, "like a manhole cover."
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#25]
F-14 fans should check out Ward Carroll's YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the Skystriker XP-14F version.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like the Skystriker XP-14F version.
View Quote

Took mine apart and disconnected the wings from the gear, so that I could have the wings extended in flight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After the F-4, I flew the A-4 as an adversary.

In the F-4, I didn't generally try to out-turn anyone.

In the A-4, you aren't going to run away from anyone, so you have no option. Besides, as an adversary, it was my job.

The F-14 should have been able to out-rate and out-radius an A-4, but they just never did.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
F-14 fans should check out Ward Carroll's YouTube channel.
View Quote

Came to post this.

His vid on Payne Stewart was emotional for me. I remember watching him play golf with my dad.

His video on callsigns was super interesting as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#31]
It may have been a maintenance pig and not the mythical bird it was was hyped to be but it was the most beautiful plane we've ever flown.

It was almost as if the designers first goal was to make it beautiful then everything else came after. Maybe that was in fact the case and why it never lived up to what it was claimed to be?

In seriousness the early P&W engines really fucked the Tomcat.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Most over-rated fighter ever.

The only thing it did well was look good.

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Didn't one of them have Zero kill markings?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for making me realize that image is reversed....  
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, yeah, yea, but when they would fly into Nellis for a Flag, they really have "a nice ass" for an airplane. Just saying.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Tomcats!
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#38]
It was built as a sole purpose Phoenix missile platform. Anything above and beyond that was really gravy.

F-14 and F-111 are my two favorite airplanes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

After the F-4, I flew the A-4 as an adversary.

In the F-4, I didn't generally try to out-turn anyone.

In the A-4, you aren't going to run away from anyone, so you have no option. Besides, as an adversary, it was my job.

The F-14 should have been able to out-rate and out-radius an A-4, but they just never did.
View Quote

Thanks for clearing that up. A-4 vs F-14 in a turning fight. That gives me the image of a man trying to use an axe to kill a mosquito.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Best air show performance I’ve ever seen, hands down. MKC ‘04ish. Pilot was from KC. Flew right over the Thunderbirds with a vapor cone forming on it’s nose, it was pretty impressive. “What’d those thunderchickens think of that?!?!?!” First thing he said when he got down from the ladder, freaking hilarious!

Pilot came back a few years later with the Blue Angles, cool dude.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Ramstein Air Base, 1983-1986.    The F-4 was on it's way out in 86' and the F-16 was being brought in.

I was in the fuels testing lab, and me and my partner  spent our days running around the base pulling fuel samples off the fuel trucks and various pump houses, to make sure the aircraft were getting good fuel.    Was a lot of fun having the freedom to wander around the base, and the F-4's flew a lot.  

Ramstein was a great base and the loud ass F-4's made it better.    

But yeah, the F-14 was cool as hell.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The shortcomings of the TF30 were well known, a lot of the Tomcat crews I got to know early on described it as a great aircraft powered by two pieces of junk.

I also want to say there was a G limitation on the jet for airframe longevity.

Did you ever fly against the D models with the 110?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It may have been a maintenance pig and not the mythical bird it was was hyped to be but it was the most beautiful plane we've ever flown.

It was almost as if the designers first goal was to make it beautiful then everything else came after. Maybe that was in fact the case and why it never lived up to what it was claimed to be?

In seriousness the early P&W engines really fucked the Tomcat.
View Quote

F-106 FTW on the beauty part.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Years ago the F14 imprinted itself in my mind forever.....

The Cleveland airshow is at lakefront airport which as the namesake implies, is right on Lake Erie. Sooo most of the flight demo ends up out over the lake. One year we took my buddies boat out there to get a better view. I'm pretty sure the F14 pilot was using our boat as a reference point because he came in full turn and burn multiple times.

He was so close I could see the paint job on his helmet. Couldn't have been more than 100 foot off the deck and full afterburners. Fucking awesome.. One thing that struck me was how dirty and shopworn it looked. It also sprayed us with hydraulic fluid every time it went by.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Download DCS and buy the F14. I fly that more than any other plane on there
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, would procuring the Super Phantom with the PW1120 and upgraded avionics been a smarter choice?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#50]

I use to manage the Subway across the street from Miramar back in the early 90’s and remember the four ship come in and one peel off at a time, so awesome. We provided all the 6ft sub’s for every Top Gun graduation too. Fun times..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top