Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry IWB at 4:00.  With a covering garment, I can pretty effectively put the first round on target in 1.5-1.75 seconds.  

You can practice this at home, get the Dry Fire Par Timer app for your phone and dry fire it.  10 minutes a day for a couple weeks should have you right about where you should be.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I typically carry IWB 4:00 positions

....but this is faster

38 snubbie front pocket nemesis holster

less than one second,....five times in a row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyINbsBVGpU
View Quote

No offense, but I do not think that is in the spirit of what the OP or anyone else would consider drawing from concealment..  I think when most people think fastest draw from concealment it means hands down and not already on the firearm.  Now if you anticipate a problem you could preposition your hand in such a way and it would look casual versus how we would need to preposition our hand with other forms of concealment.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm carrying just a little too much paunch for AIWB, so I carry IWB at 3 o'clock. Haven't checked times between that and OWB yet.

I did see a video with a guy who timed himself, and was faster AIWB. What I don't get, is he is MUCH fatter than me.
View Quote

Have you tried AIWB or just assume you're too fat? I'm 6'1" @ 260 in a 40" waist and its plenty comfortable to me, probably more so than 3:30/4. I really didn't think it would be but I took the plunge and got a T1C holster and love it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fastest is AIWB but I cannot conceal at all. I'm exactly where I should be weight wise but I look like I have a comical pot belly with every holster I've tried.
View Quote

Dude, do you even 300th Parallel, its science
If nothing else this is funny
@Obrez

Fat Guys Concealed Carry & The '300th Parallel'
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#5]
What will effect your draw more than anything else is your mental state or awareness. I can draw and hit an A zone at 10 yds in 1.2-1.6 seconds when I am standing there ready waiting for a beep from a OWB holster and a full sized pistol. Now when your mind is occupied with all the bullshit in regular life you will add quite a bit of time to your draw.

Practice gives you good muscle memory, you are not looking for your gun, how to get the safety off if it uses one. But you still loose time when surprised. Kind of like driving, when you are driving fast and you are putting 100% of your attention into driving you can drive a lot faster than when you only devote 30-40% of your attention to driving.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry AIWB and can draw and put a shot on target at five yards, center mass, in about a second. It's all muscle memory with no sights. My aimed fire is more accurate, but slower.

I can do a draw from concealment and put two rounds in center and one in the head (just for fun) in about 2 seconds.

I also practice drawing WITHOUT firing and practice reloads a TON. Every 5 shots I practice reloading. I also stop live fire and do some dry fire practice if my shot placement starts to drift low -- means I'm anticipating recoil. Usually resets me and clears it up.

More than you asked, but...
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I love these threads.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Have you tried AIWB or just assume you're too fat? I'm 6'1" @ 260 in a 40" waist and its plenty comfortable to me, probably more so than 3:30/4. I really didn't think it would be but I took the plunge and got a T1C holster and love it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm carrying just a little too much paunch for AIWB, so I carry IWB at 3 o'clock. Haven't checked times between that and OWB yet.

I did see a video with a guy who timed himself, and was faster AIWB. What I don't get, is he is MUCH fatter than me.

Where does the waistline of your pants ride? I wear mine under my gut instead of up on my waistline which means aiwb means the gun blocks me from sitting/ bending forward.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No offense, but I do not think that is in the spirit of what the OP or anyone else would consider drawing from concealment..  I think when most people think fastest draw from concealment it means hands down and not already on the firearm.  Now if you anticipate a problem you could preposition your hand in such a way and it would look casual versus how we would need to preposition our hand with other forms of concealment.
View Quote

it’s pretty common for me to walk thru the grocery store, or out n about,  with my right hand on my snubbie...head on a swivel
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]

I was half expecting Miami_JBT to post that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the beer gut going on and could not do aiwb because my gut pushed the grip out way to much. I made a kydex holster that put the grip lower to the waistline and now I carry aiwb no problem. Longer barreled pistols work better for it for me though. My glock 34, Beretta 92a1, glock 21, and sig m17 are comfortable.  My small guns like a cz rami or m&p .40c are not as comfortable.  I can carry for most of the day aiwb and that includes sitting in a car for hours. But i cant do it with a light mounted pistol. If I can lose this gut it will be even better. Try a lower sitting holster with a more full size barrel length. It may work but our body types are comfort levels do differ.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where does the waistline of your pants ride? I wear mine under my gut instead of up on my waistline which means aiwb means the gun blocks me from sitting/ bending forward.
View Quote

I know your pain. My DD214 made me fat...
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I love these threads.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I went from OWB to 4:00 IWB to AIWB. Once I got a proper holster (Tenicor Velo 4) I cant see myself carrying any other way now. When I'm driving I pull my shirt and seat belt behind my gun. Instant access. It's also the fastest for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

it’s pretty common for me to walk thru the grocery store, or out n about,  with my right hand on my snubbie...head on a swivel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

Tell the RO at your next match that a gripped pistol is how you should start since you’re a creepy guy that keeps his hand clenched on his gun 24/7.

Claiming a sub second draw when you start with a gripped pistol is blatantly dishonest.  

If you’re seeking to impress, you’re doing the opposite.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol.

Tell the RO at your next match that a gripped pistol is how you should start since you’re a creepy guy that keeps his hand clenched on his gun 24/7.

Claiming a sub second draw when you start with a gripped pistol is blatantly dishonest.  

If you’re seeking to impress, you’re doing the opposite.

View Quote

@JAD762

RO ???

are we talking about gun games or CCW?

arfcom get both

let’s see your videos

maybe you can impress LOL

here’s a few more of mine

nothing wrong with snubbie nemesis carry

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@JAD762

RO ???

are we talking about gun games or CCW?

arfcom get both

let’s see your videos

maybe you can impress LOL

here’s a few more of mine

nothing wrong with snubbie nemesis carry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGoYToPeBAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S31aVTPzR_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY3XP8Ghe1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsT_K2to6k8
View Quote

Way to totally ignore the point.

You're basically shooting from low ready and calling it a "draw."

Walk around for 5 minutes and let that holster settle in your pocket and then draw with your hands at your side.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't really have a gut that hangs over. Its more of a muffin top.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Way to totally ignore the point.

You're basically shooting from low ready and calling it a "draw."

Walk around for 5 minutes and let that holster settle in your pocket and then draw with your hands at your side.
View Quote

OK

fair enough

I’ll try that with a timer next time i practice with my snubbie

hands at sides

still waiting for your videos to post

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well maybe when I lose enough weight to put the cummerbund on my plate carrier I'll be ready to give AIWB a shot
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was half expecting Miami_JBT to post that.
View Quote

Guess you can say I beat him to the draw.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I just point shoot through the pocket of my vest with my J frame.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I believe it.  It's simply the least amount of movement required to clear the cover garment and draw.
View Quote

Yup. OWB uncovered will beat AIWB assuming equal skill levels on each, but when it comes to concealment I've yet to see anything that'll best AIWB on speed and efficiency.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derek, in a bad situation you are right to have a hand on the gun, head on a swivel. I have seen police do that as they approach a car on a traffic stop. Same as going into a shitty area you can not avoid going to.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OK

fair enough

I’ll try that with a timer next time i practice with my snubbie

hands at sides

still waiting for your videos to post

View Quote

I've made no claims to my shooting, so I don't know what my videos will prove.  But whatever.

Rolla State Match 11 3 2012 Stage 5
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yup. OWB uncovered will beat AIWB assuming equal skill levels on each, but when it comes to concealment I've yet to see anything that'll best AIWB on speed and efficiency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe it.  It's simply the least amount of movement required to clear the cover garment and draw.

I wonder how fast AOWB would be...

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder how fast AOWB would be...

https://blog.udemy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/shutterstock_137493509.jpg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Aiwb is best carry.

As long as you’re relatively thin in the gut, it’s the best option around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always wanted to give AIWB a try. It seems like it would conceal better and be quicker. I like carrying my IWB closer to 2:30 than 3, but it sucks sitting in a car and I can't help but wonder if AIWB would be even worse.

Aiwb is best carry.

As long as you’re relatively thin in the gut, it’s the best option around.

What if you are not thin in the guy?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#29]
There’s sub one second draws from concealment in pretty much every way.

My personal opinion is AIWB is the fastest. My hand has far less to travel to grab the gun and get on target.

OWB feels like there is more garment to clear and then I have to go all the way down to my side, back up and out front. Ymmv

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I've always been fastest with a shoulder holster. Second would be 3-O'Clock, OWB, with an outer shirt/jacket covering (which also applies to the shoulder holster).
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#31]
OWB, t-shirt covering, 3 shots with a G20. My best ever, which is why I took a pic.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OWB, t-shirt covering, 3 shots with a G20. My best ever, which is why I took a pic.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33962/6524_jpeg-1553410.JPG

View Quote

That's fast, especially for a best MM.

Have the 2nd and 3rd shots landed yet?

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've made no claims to my shooting, so I don't know what my videos will prove.  But whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWfCLmCrNCA
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Derek, in a bad situation you are right to have a hand on the gun, head on a swivel. I have seen police do that as they approach a car on a traffic stop. Same as going into a shitty area you can not avoid going to.
View Quote

thanks

dispite what JAD762 posted, I’m not the “creepy clutching it 24/7” he imagined

i’m the normally laid back dude who practices every week, and if i have to stop for gas in the city, my hand may by on that snubbie

although lately, ive been CCWing my full size M&P
IWB

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top