Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/22/2021 10:58:54 PM EDT
I know that no one has strong feelings about Garand Thumb around here, but his upcoming series on field craft looks like its going to be pretty good & I'm looking forward to it.

Part 1:

Basics of RECCE and Recon Kit (How to become DEADLY in the mountains, PART 1)

Two personal takeaways.  

A - His comment about how ham radios can advertise your position easily.  In another video he mentioned that Baofengs were a favorite of the Taliban, so I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are really good at finding Baofengs.  That, plus Cuba's jamming 40 meter last summer during their troubles, has made me really think about my radio situation.  I don't have an answer, but I've been thinking about it.

2 - Making sure your gear works together.  I've been backpacking/camping for years & I have several packs that I really like.  I just recently started buying some web gear so that I can participate in Run & Gun matches.  After watching part 1 I wondered if I could wear my TT Mav with a backpack and, sure enough, I had it set up too low & it interfered with the kidney belt.  So if I ever find myself wearing both I'm going to have to adjust the Mav higher.

Part 2:

Recce Rifle Setup and Camouflage / Mountain Rifle Setup. Becoming Deadly in the Mountains Part 2.

One personal takeaway.

I'm glad that I've been involved in competitive shooting for as long as I have been.  If I were to camo them, it sounds like my match guns would make ideal recce rifles.  My dad advice for the day; shoot competitively on a regular basis.  You'll buy good gear and you'll be good at using it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Rumor is he’s local to me. Would love to go shoot or just have a beer with him.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rumor is he’s local to me. Would love to go shoot or just have a beer with him.
View Quote

Same here. His videos are usually pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I watched that last night and I’m looking forward to more videos on the subject.

On another note, “Administrative Results” is good for a laugh in his videos. Very entertaining.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I watched that last night and I'm looking forward to more videos on the subject.

On another note, "Administrative Results" is good for a laugh in his videos. Very entertaining.
View Quote
they are both entertaining. enjoy both of them as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I seem to enjoy his videos but have a gripe...

When the weapon/accessories/etc he is describing is sitting on the table in front of him, at least keep them in the shot.  So often they let the subject matter he is discussing slip out of frame so he can keep his face in the shot.  I'm watching the videos about the gear not the guy.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
He's legit
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I enjoy his videos.
View Quote

Me too.

This video/series feels more like "classic Garand Thumb".

When I first started watching him he was doing how to's for setting up packs and belts and chest rigs.  While I've enjoyed his reviews, his old videos are where I actually learned a thing or two.

I've hunted/hiked/camped my entire life, but I'm certain that I can pick up something new with these videos and I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I liked his old videos. His recent stuff seems campy and kind of silly. However, if this is done right I'll watch for sure.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Is he trying to ‘tell’ us something?
I like the guy. Good sense of humor.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is he trying to 'tell' us something?
View Quote

I like him too.

Truth is, nobody is good enough for Arfcom, or at least not for very long. The mob errr hive mind is fickle and decides it doesn't like people anymore for the most baseless reasons. I think gun celebrities are like fashions, and Arfcommers are like women and they lose interest in fashions after a time to be honest. The average Arfcommer doesn't know what it takes to stay fresh, witty, and interesting when it comes to entertainment and even education.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
He's one of my favorite YouTube stars. Great technique with all of his weapons. Good humored and a little sick, just like me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the guy quite a bit. He doesn't take himself too seriously and his videos are usually entertaining.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Like him or not, the dude probably knows a thing or two about this shit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
This one will be a good series although most people will have no idea why it is important.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This one will be a good series although most people will have no idea why it is important.
View Quote

Keep this thread updated with releases?
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I enjoy his videos.
View Quote

I do as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#18]
His Ron Jeremy/Macaulay Culkin intros are the best.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Flannel Dad was giving strong hints to leave the cell phones at home. It's going to be worth the time to watch and download these next videos in the series.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Keep this thread updated with releases?
View Quote

We can probably figure something out to that effect.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Flannel Thumb is the fucking man and anyone who posts otherwise will earn a heartfelt grumble from me
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Half of GD will be wearing their boonies like GT next summer as they waddle around Disney World in their compression socks and Crocs
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is he trying to ‘tell’ us something?
View Quote

Seems like it. He is on our side for sure.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Half of GD will be wearing their boonies like GT next summer as they waddle around Disney World in their compression socks and Crocs
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I enjoy his videos.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#26]
One of my favorite channels alongside TRexArms and SuperSetCA.

The comments section scares me though. It's like a cult sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Pretty interested in him sharing his know how.  His normal gear/guns overview are pretty interesting, but also not that informative, relative to me at least.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG.

I don't have a boonie hat, compression socks, crocs, or go to Disney anything.
So nyah.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Like him or not, the dude probably knows a thing or two about this shit.
View Quote

He was a SERE school instructor for the AF, and is now a TAC-P. I think he would be a SME in this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#30]
He gave me the impression he’s no longer in the military. I may have missed that pet somewhere. He kept saying “I used to use this in the military.”
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Did Hi-Point ever reach out to him for a re-do?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
He gave me the impression he’s no longer in the military. I may have missed that pet somewhere. He kept saying “I used to use this in the military.”
View Quote

I caught that too, He did a video last year where he said he recently graduated from OCS and became a TAC-P, I would think he wouldnt resign his commission that soon after graduation.
What did I accomplish this year (year in review)
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I have no strong feeling about any YouTube personality ….I live in reality ..not fantasy land

Except James Yeager… now that’s a dude I listen to
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jokes aside, I would bet that a large portion of his audience is young and doesn’t fit the “over weight boomer” archetype that get thrown around here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#35]
It was a good video with some great info. Looking forward to the rest of this series.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have no strong feeling about any YouTube personality ….I live in reality ..not fantasy land

Except James Yeager… now that’s a dude I listen to
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

They 'gon learn though.  

Total on-topic thread hijack; he does briefly mention the arguments revolving around Gore-tex pants without hitting up any details.  

Personally I've never owned or used them and rely on water-repellent nylon stuff when needed - the Army level 5 stuff.   Used to use the wet weather top/bottom when I was in; we had the woodland nylon stuff with the PU coating on the inside that looked like the ECWCS Gore-tex gear, except not breathable, that we sometimes used in utterly awful cold wet weather if we were going to be static enough.

Any opinions?   I've found that if it's cold enough to rain, usually the level 5 pants shed enough water and dry fast enough that they're sufficient when used with a silk-weight base layer.   But I'm sort of wondering what I might be missing with Gore-tex bottoms or some similar breathable hardshell.

Relevant infographic:

I find this matches my own usage of a bunch of this.  Some of the issue items (lookin' at you, level 7) are flimsier than I'd like but for the going rate of ~$80 for new with tags, not bad for a Primaloft garment.

For those not familiar with the PCU stuff - level 5 is water repellent lightweight nylon, level 6 is hardshell (what used to be the ECWCS Gore-tex shells), level 7 is puffy insulated stuff with similar water repellency to level 5.

Newer issue level 4/5/6 is Multicam or Scorpion OCP; no idea what the puffy stuff is.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#38]
SURPRISE GRENADE
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I know someone who met him at triggercon in Seattle. Sounded like a nice dude.

Looks like I'm in before his resident arfcom hater.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I caught that too, He did a video last year where he said he recently graduated from OCS and became a TAC-P, I would think he wouldnt resign his commission that soon after graduation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4s01BW2EhA
View Quote

I wonder if the COVID shot shenanigans convinced him to leave. I haven’t kept up with his videos for a long time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I know someone who met him at triggercon in Seattle. Sounded like a nice dude.

Looks like I'm in before his resident arfcom hater.
View Quote

There's some ranger here that gets real mad whenever people bring him up because he doesn't have combat deployments lol

GT is a funny dude and doesn't take himself too seriously.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#42]
That presentation is literally his former classroom training presentation.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

He used to be a SERE instructor.

He is a TAC-P/J-TAC now and a LT. He was an E5.

I looked him up on the USAF global email last year sometime. I don’t even remember his name now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#44]
His mannerisms drive me nuts. That being said his content is always good and I watch his vids.  Gotta say this one is excellent.

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There's some ranger here that gets real mad whenever people bring him up because he doesn't have combat deployments lol

GT is a funny dude and doesn't take himself too seriously.
View Quote

He also says GT is a bad father. Don't forget that

This vid was solid, albeit pretty basic stuff. I look forward to the rest of the series.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
SURPRISE GRENADE
View Quote

Not one, but two surprise grenades.

And here I am like a chump with no surprise grenades.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I got a little nervous/excited when he asked about going into the woods
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

He used to be a SERE instructor.

He is a TAC-P/J-TAC now and a LT. He was an E5.

I looked him up on the USAF global email last year sometime. I don’t even remember his name now.
View Quote

Mike Jones, I think.

No way he's out already, but that was some weird phrasing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no strong feeling about any YouTube personality .I live in reality ..not fantasy land

Except James Yeager now that's a dude I listen to

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/ThatsBait-133.gif

All my gear is OSOE.....everything else sucks......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top