Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. I know a guy that got baited by a guy after getting repeatedly flipped off during a shift (same guy), and he finally pulled him over without reason.

The guy was filming everything, got him flustered, and then he maced him.

He got fired over it (rightfully so) but the story is funny as hell when he tells it because it was an act of frustration after getting fucked with for hours.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 5:46:48 AM EDT
[#2]
It's legal, and law enforcement doesn't like your constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 5:50:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live in KY and some State Trooper......I won't go into what he did driving but would it have been legal for me to make a "gesture" to him? Would that be freedom of speach? Would it be illegal? I was tempted..........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I live in KY and some State Trooper......I won't go into what he did driving but would it have been legal for me to make a "gesture" to him? Would that be freedom of speach? Would it be illegal? I was tempted..........

Quoted:
Probably legal but not very wise

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OP, if you CC, grow up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
First Amendment. You may, likely, get pulled over and asked what your problem is. Some States have higher levels of what road rage is, flipping someone off may be considered road rage.
View Quote

The Supreme Court says that it is not. Constructive charging will get the flipper a federal payday.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#6]
It’s free speech but just plain rude and childish.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#7]
He’s going to pull you over and search your vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The fact that bodily harm/death is a potential result of showing disrespect towards govt employees says a lot about policing in the US....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i would suggest not picking out armed gov agents to bait into lawsuits. doesn't seem wise from a life expectancy standpoint.

The fact that bodily harm/death is a potential result of showing disrespect towards govt employees says a lot about policing in the US....

Interesting how disrespect leading to harm via one demographic gets ridiculed here, but the demographic in this topic gets a free pass.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably earn you a free pit maneuver in Arkansas
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Probably legal but not very wise
View Quote
Even if it's 100% legal, not good math.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely constitutionally protected speech. It is also the worst form of contempt of cop. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of people flipping off cops and getting arrested for it, or getting pulled over for a fishing expedition.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#13]
You are breaking some kind of law 100% of the time. Just a question of how hard someone wants to look to find it
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Legal, sure. Don’t invite the law into your life though. That’s dumb.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep.  Basically- bad choices and lack of impulse control has a high correlation to having other things wrong.  

It isn't the finger that gets you in trouble, it is the extra 20 seconds of the trooper looking at you going WTF? which leads to the problem.  

If you seek attention, don't be surprised if you get it.
View Quote
Yep.

Legal though
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Legal but make sure you are filming so you don't get hemmed up on a BS retaliatory charge.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's legal, and law enforcement doesn't like your constitutional rights.
View Quote
Not true of most cops I know
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Probably “legal” but extremely childish. Maybe think about who was really being the asshole?

Not a flame, just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#20]
It’s speech, and protected.

Doesn’t mean they won’t try to jam you up, but you’ll beat the rap. And maybe win the civil suit.

Just don’t be doing something like cutting a chain on a gate while you’re doing it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seems Childish
View Quote

When I was a child, I used to think like a child…

I’ve done it (unprovoked, 30 years ago), cop seemed surprised but apparently was disinterested in running at me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I've done several videos on this.

The protections of the First Amendment are not limited to spoken words, but rather include gestures and other expressive conduct, even if vulgar or offensive to some. For example, in Cohen v. California (1971), the Supreme Court held that an individual wearing a jacket bearing the words “F**k the Draft” in a courthouse corridor could not be prosecuted for disturbing the peace.

Consistent with this precedent, although “the gesture generally known as ‘giving the finger’ … is widely regarded as an offensive insult,” Bad Frog Brewery, Inc. v. N.Y. State Liquor Auth. , (2d Cir. 1998), it is a gesture that is generally protected by the First Amendment. See, e.g. , Cruise-Gulyas v. Minard (6th Cir. 2019) (“Any reasonable [police] officer would know that a citizen who raises her middle finger engages in speech protected by the First Amendment.”); Garcia v. City of New Hope (8th Cir. 2021) (“[Plaintiff’s] raising his middle finger at [a police officer] is a rude and offensive gesture but nonetheless, under current precedent, is a constitutionally protected speech activity.”); Batyukova v. Doege(5th Cir. 2021) (same); accord Swartz v. Insogna (2d Cir. 2013) (holding that giving the middle finger could not support arrest for disorderly conduct); see generally Ira P. Robbins, Digitus Impudicus: The Middle Finger and the Law , 41 U.C. DAVIS L. REV. 1403, 1407–08, 1434 (2008) (observing that the middle finger can express a variety of emotions—such as anger, frustration, defiance, protest, excitement—or even “possess[ ] political or artistic value”).
View Quote

One I'm currently litigating:

Client Stopped For Giving Cops The Finger
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, it was ruled legal. But if you do they will write up a list of things just to let the court filter through it. Prosecutor and judges should be sick of them.

Our troopers really need to be reigned in. In rural areas they can be raging assholes, and go unchecked. They bog courts down with unnecessary misdemeanors. If shtf ever goes down, they are not your friend, they serve the governor/state period. They run over small town deputies and treat them like children.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:44:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Something something dont invite the man in to your life.
View Quote

Agreed, ego is a hard thing to hold down sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#25]
http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/2022/11/trooper-im-going-to-see-this-m-today.html?m=1

This trooper arrested a guy for flipping him off for disorderly conduct and wreckless driving. There's a bit more to the story in the link
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#26]
flip them off hell, i got pulled over for waving at one

he was running radar on a feeder road to the interstate in bumfuck edroy, TX.  not a soul but he and i on that road.  passed him to make a delivery, waved at him on my way back 10 minutes later and on come the lights.

told him when he approached that it was the first time i'd ever been pulled over before for waving.  seemed to have caught him off guard and then he came up with a story of it being suspicious that i'd passed him twice there in so little time.

i was driving a delivery truck...  best i can figure is that he wasn't paying enough attention and thought that i'd flipped him off
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I flipped the bird to a Sheriff earlier this year.

He was driving a marked F-150 that I couldn’t tell while he was riding my ass while I was going the speed limit in the right lane (cruise control in use).

No other cars around and I had watched as he gained on me from way back.  

I didn’t flinch and after a couple of minutes he passed me. As he did so I saw it was a Sheriff’s vehicle and flipped him the bird.  At which point he slowed down and paced me, rolled his window down. So I rolled mine down. He was hollering something I couldn’t quite make out nor did I give a shit.

I just put my hand to my ear and said “I can’t hear you.”

He drove off when I’m pretty sure he saw my dash cam.

I forget the county but I looked it up at the time.  It was the Sheriff of whatever county.  At that time a news article said he was running for some elected position within the NC Republican Party.

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#28]
fpni
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes.  It's a safe and legal thrill.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep.  Basically- bad choices and lack of impulse control has a high correlation to having other things wrong.  

It isn’t the finger that gets you in trouble, it is the extra 20 seconds of the trooper looking at you going WTF? which leads to the problem.  

If you seek attention, don’t be surprised if you get it.
View Quote

One of many like minded posts that shows the immaturity goes both directions.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#31]
A buddy did this right after getting his license to a smallish town cop. That cop made his life hell until he moved away lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Legal? Depends on your state law.

Smart? No. Why start something with a cop?

JMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, protected speach.   Having said that, my buddy flipped off an off duty officer on the highway.  He didn't know he was a cop. The guy radioed in that my buddy pointed a gun at him. He got drug out of his car at gunpoint and spent the night in jail because they found weed.   My buddy doesn't smoke weed.

My advice is to keep your cool while driving.  You just never know what people are capable of.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#34]
If you can flip him off he can flip you off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
while flipping off the cop is legal i'm almost positive, with how many laws are on the books, the cop could end up finding something illegal you are doing.
View Quote

Watch out for the KSP, they like to say you were "following too closely".  I just had jury duty and that's how most trouble starts
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Legal? Depends on your state law.

Smart? No. Why start something with a cop ANYBODY?

JMHO YMMV
View Quote

FIFY

The gesture gains you NOTHING but risks the potential for all sorts of life-long regret. If name calling and childish gestures really give you a sense of self-importance , maybe you need to stop driving until you grow-up a little more.

Honestly, adults who start name calling or making obscene hand gestures just look stupid. It’s funny in the movies or among a close circle of friends but in real life, directed towards strangers, it just makes you look like a low-intelligence clod struggling to control your emotions.

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
No OP, not freedom of speach.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Getting into a dick swinging contest with a giant kielbasa when you only have a Vienna sausage isn’t a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#40]
How about free speech isn't even free speech.

Pulled Over For Free Speech #filmthepolice

Talk about thin skinned.

Respect my authorahtahhhh(said in Cartman voice).

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
while flipping off the cop is legal i'm almost positive, with how many laws are on the books, the cop could end up finding something illegal you are doing.
View Quote

Your tail light might be broken.  Never invite the man into your life.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Seems Childish
View Quote

Quoted:
Rude, unwise, not very grey man. All around bad idea.
View Quote

Quoted:
Don't get on his radar.
View Quote

Seems like a great way to entice the cop to put your vehicle under a legal microscope and see what they can find..
Expired tag
License plate not illuminated
Brake/tail light out
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#43]
It would probably be better to call into the state HP # and report the license plate as a distracted driver
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Something something dont invite the man in to your life.
View Quote

That's literally rolling out the red fucking carpet for the man.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#45]
As a teenager, I flipped off a car that was tailgating me (w/ high beams) on a dark road. Turned out to be a (local) cop.
He charged me with Disorderly Conduct. I got a good lawyer and beat it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Seems like a great way to entice the cop to put your vehicle under a legal microscope and see what they can find..
Expired tag
Brake/tail light out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems Childish

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't get on his radar.

Expired tag
Brake/tail light out

Its just evidence that good cops aren't.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't have an issue with law enforcement in general. I'm not some anti cop guy.  I try to respect good and decent cops but speed traps are a real trigger for me. I think it's childish and kind of cowardly to hide behind a radar gun and pretend that it's anything else but revenue generation. So whenever I see a cop behind a radar gun I make it a point to roll down the window and give em a big middle finger as far as I can reach out the window.

I know it's childish and I need to grow the fuck up but speed traps just piss me off.   I have had some cops jump on their bikes or in their cruiser and follow me for a mile or 2, but I have not yet been pulled over for this. I'm sure they were running my plate and looking for any slightest driving infraction to bust me when following me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#48]
It is legal AND you should do it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Boolzie, my fellow Kentuckian, knows  these goons. Everyone else's State Troopers must be Mary Poppins in a Smokey hat. Not here in Kentucky. In my stupid youth I found a guy guilty on the testamony of a State Trooper to a minor charge. Won't do that again if I get jury duty in the future.
 Since this thread took off I'll say what he did. I was waiting at a stop light on a 4 lane road. He cut the corner on me, he was driving slow, so that I thought he was going to scrape my bumper. I guess he was trying to get a reaction out of me. Typical State Police BS here in Kentucky we have to put up with all the time. Never any issues with the county or city police.

I;m a 62 year old white male with severe disablity (wheelchair). I would have LOVED for him to pull me over and tried to find a issue. At least the time he was wasting on me would keep him occupied. Never thought in my wildest dreams America would come to this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems Childish

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't get on his radar.

Expired tag
Brake/tail light out

I was a cop for a couple years.
Flipping me off?
Somebody wants my attention.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top