Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Cuffing a 6 year old

During college I worked at a Catholic School as a student teacher. Most of the students were from broken homes. I was assigned to a Kindergarten class and I was told that many of the kids had suffered horrible things at home and in the group homes they lived in. Most of the kids were good kids, just being kids, but every class had a red panic button for when a kid had a break down. A special team of 2-3 women would respond when you pressed the red button. Now you may laugh but there were one or two kids that were pretty big kids for age 5-6 and they were pretty hard to get a hold of. There was this one kid who just happened to be the biggest of them all and when he had a breakdown it was epic. This kid knew to put his legs through the bottom of the chairs as they had bracing and he would lock his legs together. As sad as it was to watch it was almost comical to see two or three adults struggle to untangle the kids legs from the chair while his arms were swinging away and his mouth was trying to find flesh. Most times they just carried him out as he would never go voluntarily.

I will never forget Frankie who stole $5 from his mothers purse. That $5 could make the difference if they ate that night or not. Well he showed me and told me if I told anyone he would stab me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should arrest the grandmother for those eyebrows.
View Quote
They look like they came out of a colorforms box from the 70's.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#3]
What the f....

Seriously?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there a father in that household?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thank the Democrats for this. Almost 75% of Black kids are raised in a single parent home (mother) or by grandparents. This is what happens when you institutionlize generational welfare and make it profitable to have children and remove the father from the household.

SJWs bitch about slavery, etc...Lol.

BTW, the SRO is fucked. An arrest of anyone under 12 yo in FL requires a supervisors approval. He failed to do that. He's pretty much done and the 35 yo Grandma is getting paid.
View Quote
This. Officer only fucked up by not getting approval, aside from that I'm not sure what choice he had. It's not like schools are actually allowed to discipline kids anymore, they've farmed that out to the local police unfortunately.

Classic case of government being able to do nothing right at multiple levels.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Please? That's $3k to go away at most.  As to arresting a 6 year old, I'd go with no.  We certainly don't do that here. Why wasn't a parent called to pick them up?  I wouldn't want the liability of transporting a kid under arrestable age.
View Quote
Per statute, a child has to be booked (fingerprinted) for the misdemeanor charge of battery or assault.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My 6 year old for instance is one of those people. She is a student that has sleep apnea and a wicked leg kick from watching tons of MMA fights on youtube but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my 6 year old in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
View Quote
If staff starts doing this next the brunduru is on
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no easy answer to this problem only really hard solutions that no one has the guts to implement plus you would have to deal with the riots.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is there a father in that household?
View Quote
Take a wild ass guess.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Serious question, what should be done with children acting out in class?
View Quote
Back in the dark ages when *I* did that, *I* got my ass paddled by the principal. Seemed to work at the time. Now, the fucking handwringers go all epileptic when a paddling is merely mentioned.    
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Are we supposed to be outraged or something?

Outsourcing your parental responsibilities isn't new and the story in the OP is what you get when you do it.

Our society is so fucked.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The wailing of some people on this site was intense when we had an AL member state that his son was in trouble at school and possibly subject to corporal punishment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question, what should be done with children acting out in class?
Back in the dark ages when *I* did that, *I* got my ass paddled by the principal. Seemed to work at the time. Now, the fucking handwringers go all epileptic when a paddling is merely mentioned.    
The wailing of some people on this site was intense when we had an AL member state that his son was in trouble at school and possibly subject to corporal punishment.
You want a government employee hitting your kid that's on you. One hits mine and I'll try to handle it legally 1st....
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A six year old cannot form the requisite criminal intent to commit a crime.
View Quote
WAT

Have you ever met any kids?

They may not fully understand the effects of their actions, but they most certainly are capable of knowing right from wrong.

And they are most definitely capable of intentionally committing criminal acts.

Granted those decisions are generally brought about by piss poor upbringing by "parents".
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Going to be a hero now...fighting the man.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My 6 year old for instance is one of those people. She is a student that has sleep apnea and a wicked leg kick from watching tons of MMA fights on youtube but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my 6 year old in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck those pussies.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#20]
So the kid is likely 3rd gen fetal alcohol syndrome?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He will learn the definition of mens rea.

It’s important to remember that a SRO is often the person who wants off patrol and is unable to get to another unit like investigations, k9, etc for whatever reason. Take from that what you will.
View Quote
Article I saw about this said the SRO is a reserve officer - after retiring from a 28 year career.

And the Chief seems more hung up about the officer not following dept policy to obtain a supervisor's approval to arrest someone under 12 y/o.

I have to wonder about the kids behavior history for an officer to make the decision that arresting a 6 y/o is the best answer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sometimes it takes a while to get it just right.

I have a friend who teaches in an elementary school and she's been assaulted countless times by students, so I'm having a hard time working up any sympathy for the little tyke.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Failed with own child.
Now failing with grandchild.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Police Chief: Officer Who Arrested 2 6-Year-Olds Has Been Fired

ORLANDO, Fla. — The officer who arrested two 6-year-old children at an Orlando charter school last week has been fired, according to Orlando's police chief.

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2019/09/23/outrage-sparked-over-sro-arrests-of-6-and-8-year-old

Now time to cut those checks
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#26]
And the next SRO will let the next feral animal do whatever they want to school employees why he/she leans back against a wall, smiles at the ones being kicked and hit and says ''she's all yours people.''
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Saw this on FoxNews. Apparently, the guy has used bad judgement in the past and also failed to get approval from a supervisor before taking action.  Why is the school calling the police for a 6y/o anyways?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#28]
And now the extortion starts:

"U.S. Rep. Anna Eskamani spoke out about the arrests, stating on Sunday, "I spoke to the Orlando police chief today and told him my concerns, and we would be reaching out with community activists around other concerns about the Orlando Police Department and law enforcement, in general, in working with many communities, especially our communities of color."

Eskamani believes that additional action needs to be taken at a state level to ensure this doesn't happen to another child."

Wouldn't surprise me they push for a shit worded law that prevents the arrest of any Minor
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"U.S. Rep. Anna Eskamani spoke out about the arrests, stating on Sunday, "I spoke to the Orlando police chief today and told him my concerns, and we would be reaching out with community activists around other concerns about the Orlando Police Department and law enforcement, in general, in working with many communities, especially our communities of color."

Eskamani believes that additional action needs to be taken at a state level to ensure this doesn't happen to another child."

Wouldn't surprise me they push for a shit worded law that prevents the arrest of any Minor
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Now hold on.  The school resource officer in question is black....this mean a discount?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#30]
This doesn’t sound right to me at all.

What ever happened to discipline within the school?

A six year old does not need to be arrested on a battery. A 6 year old knows right from wrong, but no way needs to be arrested.

I’d like a chance to read the actual report.

There is a reason why under 12 requires watch commander approval, and a reason why this officer circumvented it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Shoulda tazed the little monster too, IMO.
View Quote

Spare the rod spoil the child
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Six year olds should not be arrested. They should be disciplined/spanked. The criminal legal system cannot handle six year olds and six year olds don't have the metal capacity to understand the consequences of their actions.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I’d be interested to see how a prosecutor establishes criminal intent with a child that young. I agree, children mirror behavior from their parents, and grandma certainly seems to be overindulgent but still arresting?

Breaking as I write, the officer has been fired for failing to follow procedures. Prosecutors have dropped all charges.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Agreed but you still have to apply some common sense and follow policy. His department policy was to contact a supervisor before making an arrest on anyone under the age of 12. He arrested a six year old and an eight year old on the same day without getting that approval from a supervisor.
View Quote
I was taught that I wasn't a law enforcement officer, but a peace officer with a duty to keep the peace.  If that meant arresting someone to keep the peace, so be it.  If it meant not arresting someone, so be it.  I was also taught that I had a lot of discretion in what to do.  I want to ask the cop, "what were you thinking?"

What I see happening is that there won't be any prosecution of either the six or eight year old, and the cop will likely lose his job.  Probably a settlement between the city and the families as well.

Good cops spend time with kids to help them learn that cops aren't their enemy and you can trust them.  An officer like this nullifys all those efforts.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Saw this on FoxNews. Apparently, the guy has used bad judgement in the past and also failed to get approval from a supervisor before taking action.  Why is the school calling the police for a 6y/o anyways?
View Quote
More than likely, the school is required to have an SRO on campus with the post Parkland/MSD school security requirements.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

More than likely, the school is required to have an SRO on campus with the post Parkland/MSD school security requirements.
View Quote
This will continue to happen due to the Parkland requirements.  Because every school has to have an SRO they will have officers not compatible with the role, untrained for the role, don’t want to be there, etc.  Also, school district police are hiring like crazy to meet demands.  This will lead to lower standards that will come to light down the road in not particularly exemplary examples.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Please? That's $3k to go away at most.  As to arresting a 6 year old, I'd go with no.  We certainly don't do that here. Why wasn't a parent called to pick them up?  I wouldn't want the liability of transporting a kid under arrestable age.
View Quote
Cause parents see it is the school or a blocked number calling and refused to pick up.  Many have no license or car.  I have to deal with shit like this all the time as an SRO.  Worthless families spawn uncontrollable kids all the time.  I wish I could share even what I dealt with today let alone last year.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You want a government employee hitting your kid that's on you. One hits mine and I'll try to handle it legally 1st....
View Quote
Corporal punishment by school staff is legal in Florida.  Some have been arrested but were found not guilty.  Also legal in 20 other states.  Teacher lost job but she was ready to retire.  Happened in the panhandle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Place needs a consent decree.

CONSENT DECREES FOR ALLLL
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This will continue to happen due to the Parkland requirements.  Because every school has to have an SRO they will have officers not compatible with the role, untrained for the role, don’t want to be there, etc.  Also, school district police are hiring like crazy to meet demands.  This will lead to lower standards that will come to light down the road in not particularly exemplary examples.
View Quote
Yes and who would want to be an SRO these days?  Plenty of children ranging from spoiled brats to legitimate developmental and mental health issues in the system.

I'm old. Attended schools in Jax,  We got "swats" all the way through graduating at the end of the senior year.  No cops assigned to the schools.  Large schools had a Dean of Boys and a Dean of Girls who handled discipline.  Up to three swats per infraction with a big custom fabricated paddle (plywood and plexi glass were popular).  Fighting was usually a suspension signed off on by the Principal.  If your parents did not want swats, it was an in school suspension (doing x number of days in a classroom doing all your class work with one of the Dean's supervising the class) or an out of school suspension.  You either conformed or were dis enrolled after being a big enough pain in the ass. Oh the fucking horror.

Now we have laws for disrupting a school function (arrestable) and teachers/staff who look to the cop to be the disciplinarian for all breaches of conduct.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
She is six dude. At six she is along for the ride developmentally. She doesn't understand her home life is shit and she is being set up for failure. If anyone should be tazed it should be her family.. Wherever they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoulda tazed the little monster too, IMO.
She is six dude. At six she is along for the ride developmentally. She doesn't understand her home life is shit and she is being set up for failure. If anyone should be tazed it should be her family.. Wherever they are.
And we have to jump through hoops backwards and on fire to adopt....
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#44]
FUCK OFF.....really I mean it..

I've seen much much much worst when I was teaching...

I had a 6 yr old that stabbed with his pencils...several girls in the class, there is an article about it in the Los Angeles Times in 1997....

Mom and dad were fucked up beyond fucked up....both undergoing sex change so they can love each other more.

I had a 9 yr old who was mentally disturbed put up a punjee trap style setup on a seat and it impaled a girl in the leg, she nearly lost it.

I had  a 5th grader come to school with a gun.

Cops didn't want to arrest for any of it...

I hope they arrested, gas or did whatever.....

I read up on those kids and I found them still fucked up beyond all measures.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Not surprised in the slightest. Sure the girls family is garbage but arresting a six year old. Good firing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That ought to generate a nest egg college fund.  What an idiot.
The settlement will be much more than $3K since the police chief fired the SRO for the arrest/not following procedure/whatever.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top