Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would argue that Miata spec is popular because of the cost of entry and that's about it.  If you could buy a prepped Lotus for what a Miata costs, there would be a dramatic shift.

edit: Speaking of Lotus, why not?  Maybe an Elise to stay closer to that price range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

There's a reason they're the most-raced car in the world. Also, they're just a British roadster made in Japan. If an MGB or a Jag E-Type isn't gay, then neither is the Miata.

I would argue that Miata spec is popular because of the cost of entry and that's about it.  If you could buy a prepped Lotus for what a Miata costs, there would be a dramatic shift.

edit: Speaking of Lotus, why not?  Maybe an Elise to stay closer to that price range.

I think it's also good performance level for fun, safe, competitive racing... That's highly maintainable and available. The Elise... Is what it is, it might be a little faster, but it's a glued together tub with some fiberglass panels screwed on made out of unobtanium parts and quite frankly I'm surprised they were able to sell them as long as they did in the US. It was fun to drive though, there's not a lot like it and their won't ever will be again sold for the street.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My BMW Z4 roadster was a lot of fun
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]
When I retired from the Navy I bought myself a sporty car.

I started out to buy a convertible and test rode most of them through the city I lived in and then on a short on ramp/off ramp on the freeway with each. I put the top up and down and drove in traffic. Of the rag tops I test drove the most impressive was the Porsche Boxster S followed by the 911. I came to the conclusion I didn't like other people's exhausts, music, and smoke as much as I thought I would so I bought a hard top sporty car and a convertible SUV.  

The Porsches were clearly connected to the road yet had manners in traffic and on the pot hole and speed bump prone side streets. They felt better crossing the rail-road tracks. Uniquely their tops came insulated. I don't know if that's a SoCal thing or the other manufactures just don't do the felt liners. In the heat of the day the black top of a convertible converts all that sunlight into heat really quickly, the roof was scorching hot in some rides.

On the freeway the Boxster's 3.2 was fast from 25 to 65 mph and the brakes never felt challenged. Only the Nissan 350Z's brakes felt better. The 997 I test drove wasn't turbo but did have a 6-speed manual and I would love to know just how fast that thing could go. Unfortunately my right foot (and the left foot too) isn't as smart as they should be.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well no shit. If I could get a prepped 911 or Ferrari for what a Miata costs there would be a dramatic shift.

Can’t even look at a used Elise for $30k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well no shit. If I could get a prepped 911 or Ferrari for what a Miata costs there would be a dramatic shift.

Can’t even look at a used Elise for $30k

My point being that Miata spec racing is cost driven and nothing further.  Saying that it is the most popular car to race kind of obscures the point.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hard to beat an older BMW Z3 from 97-05 or so for pure bang for the buck. Get the manual transmission though.
View Quote

Yes...YES, this is the way...come over to the dunkel side, OP. Just go 2.8 or higher six cylinder...I wouldn't buy a four cylinder, personally.

This is 3.0 I sold my Miata for. Five speed manual, soft top, 231 horse and 221 torques. Beautiful BMW leather with walnut trim, relatively spacious with a good reputation for reliability. I loved this car, I should have had my head examined for not taking it to Germany when we left Florida.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My point being that Miata spec racing is cost driven and nothing further.  Saying that it is the most popular car to race kind of obscures the point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't even look at a used Elise for $30k

No. Cost is only one component of many including fun, performance, support, availability, etc...

The Miata is the most popular car to race because it's a fantastic balance of all those things.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If Porsche is an option, Porsche is the answer.
View Quote

I'd agree with this
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think it's also good performance level for fun, safe, competitive racing... That's highly maintainable and available. The Elise... Is what it is, it might be a little faster, but it's a glued together tub with some fiberglass panels screwed on made out of unobtanium parts and quite frankly I'm surprised they were able to sell them as long as they did in the US. It was fun to drive though, there's not a lot like it and their won't ever will be again sold for the street.
View Quote

The Elise's drivetrain isn't too bad parts-wise, but everything else? Yeesh. Don't damage the clamshell.

They're superb cars, though, and if you can handle the fact that they don't even attempt at being practical, have at. Just remember that the British sports car experience requires a bit of masochism.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Miata if you are gay
Mustang if you are gay and hate crowds
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes...YES, this is the way...come over to the dunkel side, OP. Just go 2.8 or higher six cylinder...I wouldn't buy a four cylinder, personally.

This is 3.0 I sold my Miata for. Five speed manual, soft top, 231 horse and 221 torques. Beautiful BMW leather with walnut trim, relatively spacious with a good reputation for reliability. I loved this car, I should have had my head examined for not taking it to Germany when we left Florida.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457055/Trial1_jpg-2740839.JPG
View Quote

I have access to a 4 banger with custom exhaust and drive it at least once a month and its a lot of fun even with the smaller engine.
That said, when I buy one to own it will be a 6 with manual. I use automatics in my other 2 cars but a sporty convertible has to be a
manual. Z4? too refined IMO, there is something purely joyful about the simplicity of the older Z3's.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Really? Can you spell USA? Chevy Corvette Stingray. C8
(Next question)
We're done here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
My poor man convertible,  but it's got room for a spare 15 round mag in the trunk." />
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless you can get a good deal on an S2000; the overwhelming internet consensus says get a Miata. I have not driven either but I tend to agree. Hard to fight the internet community.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
(Next question)
We're done here.
View Quote

Despite appearances not everyone here is wealthy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have access to a 4 banger with custom exhaust and drive it at least once a month and its a lot of fun even with the smaller engine.
That said, when I buy one to own it will be a 6 with manual. I use automatics in my other 2 cars but a sporty convertible has to be a
manual. Z4? too refined IMO, there is something purely joyful about the simplicity of the older Z3's.
View Quote

My Dad has a '96 Z3 that he's owned since 1996; he did the Euro delivery as he was stationed in Germany at the time, despite the car being built in South Carolina. It's still in absolutely beautiful condition and he loves that car.

The first model year cars were all I4s; it has something like 130hp. Doesn't matter, it's still stupid fun to drive.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My poor man convertible,  but it's got room for a spare 15 round mag in the trunk.https://i.postimg.cc/RZvBTjnd/44306.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/RZvBTjnd/44306.jpg
View Quote

The Sky/Solstice was a neat car. I still see them around from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#17]
What about the Mercedes C & E and SLK series soft top and the hardtop convertible models?  Even some slightly older SLs are in the 30-40K price range.  Not much mention of those so far.  Are some of those models OK or all they financial suicide?
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What about the Mercedes C & E and SLK series soft top and the hardtop convertible models?  Even some slightly older SLs are in the 30-40K price range.  Not much mention of those so far.  Are some of those models OK or all they financial suicide?
View Quote

They're mostly financial suicide, and there's nothing really to distinguish them from more reliable competitors. The SL/SLK is a fairly soft car; it's more of a Grandma boulevard/highway cruiser than a sports car. It's in the same class as the old Lexus SC.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If Camero is an option, Camero is the answer.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My Dad has a '96 Z3 that he's owned since 1996; he did the Euro delivery as he was stationed in Germany at the time, despite the car being built in South Carolina. It's still in absolutely beautiful condition and he loves that car.

The first model year cars were all I4s; it has something like 130hp. Doesn't matter, it's still stupid fun to drive.
View Quote

I am so happy to 'meet' someone else who gets this, the endless drone of Porsche and Miata gets boring after while.
That said- the Miata is also a lot of fun and not expensive to keep on the road. Porsche? nothing wrong with a Porsche
Just bring your wallet along or be a capable mechanic.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They're mostly financial suicide, and there's nothing really to distinguish them from more reliable competitors. The SL/SLK is a fairly soft car; it's more of a Grandma boulevard/highway cruiser than a sports car. It's in the same class as the old Lexus SC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except the Benzes are better looking in every way imaginable.

But yes, not sports cars at all. Could argue that the SLK toes the line a bit, though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But yes, not sports cars at all. Could argue that the SLK toes the line a bit, though.
View Quote

Yeah, the SC430s aren't good looking. A lot of it is the awful OEM wheels, though - there's a black one in the neighborhood that's on aftermarket wheels of some sort and it looks about a million times better.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
That actually would be OK with me.  I'm old and will never hit the mountain roads or drive 100 mph.  Those days are over.  Evenings and weekends only for me.  I do like the look of their hardtop convertibles.  I've seen several SLK 350s with low miles in the 2016 model year that look really nice for close to $30K.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Jag F type.

Jaguar F-Type - An X-Rated Hardcore Monster | Car Review | Top Gear
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, the SC430s aren't good looking. A lot of it is the awful OEM wheels, though - there's a black one in the neighborhood that's on aftermarket wheels of some sort and it looks about a million times better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can agree with that, they certainly don't help anything.  I think it was top gear that said the design team spent a ton of time in Monaco/French Riviera "studying" sailing and yachts to come up with the styling.

I really think it might be the ugliest thing Toyota has released, with the third gen tundra being a solid second place.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That actually would be OK with me.  I'm old and will never hit the mountain roads or drive 100 mph.  Those days are over.  Evenings and weekends only for me.  I do like the look of their hardtop convertibles.  I've seen several SLK 350s with low miles in the 2016 model year that look really nice for close to $30K.
View Quote

I'd have it looked at by an independent mechanic that knows MBs before pulling the trigger, but there are worse automotive decisions you could make.

If what you are looking for is luxury/comfort first and then enough performance to be respectable, the SL/SLK will fit that bill perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
(Next question)
We're done here.
View Quote

Please tell me where I can buy a C8 vette for $30k
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Camero is an option, Camero is the answer.

FIFY

As a side note... the Caps need to unfuck themselves. This has been a rough last couple months.

I live about 5 mins walk from their practice rink. Maybe I should go give them a piece of my mind.

@CapsFan
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Miata
depending on your styling, consider the RF (retractable top)  It's essentially a T-top

Most fun you'll have in a car for the price and it punches above its weight class in terms of performance, especially in the suspension.
sure you could get a porsche but the second you break something in it (and you WILL), have fun with those repair bills.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As a side note... the Caps need to unfuck themselves. This has been a rough last couple months.

I live about 5 mins walk from their practice rink. Maybe I should go give them a piece of my mind.

@CapsFan
View Quote

I completely agree. The amount of man games lost this season due to injury is insane though. We don't make the playoffs this year, but can recoup during the off-season and be a contender next season.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

There's a reason they're the most-raced car in the world. Also, they're just a British roadster made in Japan. If an MGB or a Jag E-Type isn't gay, then neither is the Miata.

Still rides decently, handles well, reasonable costs to actually run, fantastic road feel, not a cop magnet like some other makes, doesn't feel bloated, great manual gearbox, actually HAS a manual gearbox available, reasonable to upgrade, tons of aftermarket.

And yes, cheap, I could buy pretty much everything up to 100K writing a ''check'' but for a third car just for fun, that is incredibly stupid for most middle class people. One that cost 3 grand, WGAF, that is almost one Wilson .45.

It's been cheap as hell to keep on the road, VERY basic maintenance, fuel, oil, filters, one coolant flush, trans and diff oil, one clutch master cylinder [$30] since bought and  that is it. Maybe about $3100 into it now. Does need new tires this year, Pretty cheap compared to the typical 17,18,19, 20 + ones on sporty cars today.

Attachment Attached File

As for ''it's a chick car?''............... That is correct. It attracts them like flies to honey. Stupidly weird but true. Gay cars.............well, those attract guys with dicks.......

What guys don't understand is that women DGAF about how your 500HP cop magnet hoon ride looks and DGAF about all the numbers you pull out of your ass. What they care about is how THEY look in a car and they look damn good in the passenger seat of a Miata.

And they are still fun as F on a empty back road with lots of twisties. At 38K on the odometer now and 30 years old [93], It has a lot of miles left in her.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's been cheap as hell to keep on the road, VERY basic maintenance, fuel, oil, filters, one coolant flush, trans and diff oil, one clutch master cylinder [$30] since bought and  that is it. Maybe about $3100 into it now. Does need new tires this year, Pretty cheap compared to the typical 17,18,19, 20 + ones today.
View Quote

This one is well worth pointing out. Even the ND only has 16" or 17" wheels from the factory. Compare tire prices between a Miata and something like a Corvette. The Miata is much, much cheaper to buy tires for, and they last much longer for a number of reasons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Still rides decently, handles well, reasonable costs to actually run, fantastic road feel, not a cop magnet like some other makes, doesn't feel bloated, great manual gearbox, actually HAS a manual gearbox available, reasonable to upgrade, tons of aftermarket.

And yes, cheap, I could buy pretty much everything up to 100K writing a ''check'' but for a third car just for fun, that is incredibly stupid for most middle class people. One that cost 3 grand, WGAF, that is almost one Wilson .45.

It's been cheap as hell to keep on the road, VERY basic maintenance, fuel, oil, filters, one coolant flush, trans and diff oil, one clutch master cylinder [$30] since bought and  that is it. Maybe about $3100 into it now. Does need new tires this year, Pretty cheap compared to the typical 17,18,19, 20 + ones on sporty cars today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32224/20210919_121737_jpg-2741487.JPG

As for ''it's a chick car?''............... That is correct. It attracts them like flies to honey. Stupidly weird but true. Gay cars.............well, those attract guys with dicks.......

What guys don't understand is that women DGAF about how your 500HP cop magnet hoon ride looks and DGAF about all the numbers you pull out of your ass. What they care about is how THEY look in a car and they look damn good in the passenger seat of a Miata.

And they are still fun as F on a empty back road with lots of twisties. At 38K on the odometer now and 30 years old [93], It has a lot of miles left in her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32224/20210919_121737_jpg-2741487.JPG

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Hardtop Miata, so that when you realize convertibles are dumb you at least don't have a ragtop.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Yeah, sports cars are dude bro magnets. Nobody gave a shit about my old FR-S other than car nerds.

Color seems to have an effect, though - I've had a bunch of young women comment positively on my Supra, and I'd be willing to bet it's entirely due to the fact that it is yellow.

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#38]
OP, here’s a little heads up on owning a convertible in SC.   In the spring time, you’re lucky to get a week before pollen dust storms start.  After the heavy pollen stops, you get a few more weeks of enjoyment before the summer heat is just too damned hot to drive around with the top down.  If pollen doesn’t bother you, it will get in every crack, crevice, radio dials, buttons, CD slots, cloth seats (yea, cloth seats are better in a convertible and definitely not a black interior) trim, up in the dash defrost vents, etc.   See where this is going?   Don’t put the top down during pollen season.

Fall is convertible season in SC.

If you see anyone in SC driving around in the summertime during the daytime with the top down, it’s a new car to them. Wintertime, new car.  Summertime, after the sun sets and still running the AC it’s pretty nice.
Again, avoid a black interior or leather/vinyl.  The burn is real.

I’ve had a couple convertibles in my lifetime. Last was a ‘95 Mustang GT.  Slow as hell, but a fun car for a short time during the year.  When it got totaled out it was a tough decision to not go back with a convertible, but I was tired of dropping $1200 buying new tops every 5 years.  Just finding a shop that still does them is a task all in its own.

Oh, and never, ever, ever use any top cleaner that contains bleach. About the time I got my last top I had found a great cleaner and protectant that kept my top looking new for years.  Never, ever park under trees either.  They drop sap so small you cannot see it until it starts turning black and green.

Good luck and enjoy it!  On occasion I really miss not having the ability to put the top down.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, sports cars are dude bro magnets. Nobody gave a shit about my old FR-S other than car nerds.

Color seems to have an effect, though - I've had a bunch of young women comment positively on my Supra, and I'd be willing to bet it's entirely due to the fact that it is yellow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Despite his other issues, Matt Farrah commented on this with his pinkish "Frozen Berry Metallic" Boxster. He said something to the effect of he's gotten an enormous amount of comments on the color in supercar saturated California compared to other  arguably more impressive/expensive things he's driven.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Boxster

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#41]
If you want American, then find a Corvair.
Inexpensive and the turbo models are lots of fun.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you want American, then find a Corvair.
Inexpensive and the turbo models are lots of fun.
View Quote

Well, there's one out of left field. If you're going to go way eclectic, you might as well throw in the Volks Karmann Ghia convertible. Teenage friend had one, I thought it was butt-ugly, but looking at them now the styling is beginning to take on that '60s European chic.
Attachment Attached File

Huh, good lord they're beginning to knock down semi-serious money. I had no idea. The auction summary page from BaT:

'Ow much?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I’ll give you great deal on this one OP.

Can you drive four pedal?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#44]
The almost twin of my 08 S is up for sale
2008 S2000
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#45]
This went for $32k

$38k

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Despite his other issues, Matt Farrah commented on this with his pinkish "Frozen Berry Metallic" Boxster. He said something to the effect of he's gotten an enormous amount of comments on the color in supercar saturated California compared to other  arguably more impressive/expensive things he's driven.
View Quote

He totally f’d it up by building an street engine that require gas octane additives to insure it does not blow up.

Insanity. What if he mixes it wrong?  Cancer causing additives?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#47]
drop top TJ wrangler with the six popper and a manual tranny.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#48]
S2000 is first choice followed by an NA or ND.2 Miata.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Can't go wrong with a Miata. It's affordable, reliable, and fun. I'd recommend the ND because it is a modern car while the NC is an early 2000s design and the NA/NB are 1980s cars. The RF hardtop looks nice, but the soft top is so simple and give you much more of the open air experience. The ND got a nicer engine for 2019, so look for that if possible.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a BMW 328i convertible with the M3 sport package. Unfortunately it doesn't have the engine. But it handles like a go-kart. And they can be got cheap. And still easy to work on
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top