Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2019 4:58:26 PM EDT
Any large reptile owners here?

Ok, admit it.  Who else goes for the free food on Craigslist?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Oh, my God that is so horrible
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't wait to finish my smokehouse so I can "adopt" all the "free to good home" Vietnamese Potbelly Pigs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Kinda shitty.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
My HS science teacher raised pythons.
Once a month, he checkout the Sunday paper for  the " Free kittens" ads.(1970s)

Take his two young daughters, and they'd each pick a different kitten. He'd tell them " Just one!" And they would argue and tear up.
So he'd give in, "Aww heck, you can EACH have one!"

Then off to the next place for another performance.
Rinse and repeat.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh, my God that is so horrible
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Take his two young daughters, and they'd each pick a different kitten. He'd tell them " Just one!" And they would argue and tear up.

Rinse and repeat.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can't wait to finish my smokehouse so I can "adopt" all the "free to good home" Vietnamese Potbelly Pigs.
View Quote
I'm listening....  
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually this is a really bad idea.  You don't know what meds (wormers, antibiotics, etc.) that critter was on.  Some of them aren't safe for reptiles.  Not worth the $8-10 savings on a feeder for a snake worth more than many AR's.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually this is a really bad idea.  You don't know what meds (wormers, antibiotics, etc.) that critter was on.  Some of them aren't safe for reptiles.  Not worth the $8-10 savings on a feeder for a snake worth more than many AR's.
View Quote
Not a reptile expert by any stretch (have a leopard gecko that just eats crickets), but can't it be pretty bad for your reptiles if you're feeding them stuff they aren't adapted to eat?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. No way would I feed someone's ass hamster to my snakes. Not worth the risk to the health of the snake.

Same way I don’t feed yard insects to the spider. It’s taken 8 years to get her to size. No way would I give it a cricket covered in pesticide.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh man, WTF is goin on here
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't see it in the ad, but does the guinea pig come with a roll of duct tape? Or does one need to supply their own? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Why feed it to the snake?

Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, that escalated... wait- is that Sriracha?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep. No way would I feed someone's ass hamster to my snakes. Not worth the risk to the health of the snake.

Same way I don’t feed yard insects to the spider. It’s taken 8 years to get her to size. No way would I give it a cricket covered in pesticide.
View Quote
Just as a side note, a Guinea pig is considerably larger than a hamster, and would require an appropriately more massive ass. Gerbils are the rodents of choice for recreational rectal rodent rapelling.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#21]
In all seriousness, I hope the OP isn’t actually practicing this sort of thing. I find inappropriate and off color comedic situations totally hilarious but for the most part only the idea of that happening.

I get that it’s just a rodent and they live short often either violent or neglected lives. My dad collected snakes and had an entire room in his house devoted to his live snake collection. Yes they like live mice and rats.

I just hope this isn’t a case of someone actually feeding some else’s pet to another to save on a couple bucks every month or so.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks delicious, mate
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In all seriousness, I hope the OP isn’t actually practicing this sort of thing. I find inappropriate and off color comedic situations totally hilarious but for the most part only the idea of that happening.

I get that it’s just a rodent and they live short often either violent or neglected lives. My dad collected snakes and had an entire room in his house devoted to his live snake collection. Yes they like live mice and rats.

I just hope this isn’t a case of someone actually feeding some else’s pet to another to save on a couple bucks every month or so.
View Quote
I feel like this has excellent copypasta potential.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not a reptile expert by any stretch (have a leopard gecko that just eats crickets), but can't it be pretty bad for your reptiles if you're feeding them stuff they aren't adapted to eat?
View Quote
Usually they just leave a really nasty deuce to clean up about three weeks later.  As an example, it's obvious when the chicken comes out the back end because feathers don't digest all the way.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friend of mine's mother is a hoarder, who can't bear to see animals suffer. So she puts out food for the rats. He sneaks into the house when she'd not home with a .22 and shotshells when she's not home.

Offered me some rats he had shot for my snakes, I declined due to lead and parasite hazards. But they were the biggest fucking rats I'd ever seen, easily 2-3 pounds.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Rinse and repeat.
View Quote
LOL
Holy shit.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Buying frozen is safer, cheaper, more humane and more efficient
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#28]
There was a local pet store years ago, that all the kittens that didn't get adopted in certain time would get fed to the shop's pet snake.  He got busted and charged with animal cruelty charges and eventually had to close his business.

I guess some people don't like to recycle.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Really though, in addition to the health and nutrition concerns listed above, I think there's something wrong with using a pet animal that's being given away in the hopes that it will have a better life.

I mean if you're the first person taking it home and it's never known anything other than the farm/breeding center, hell I don't really care as long as you pre-kill humanely. (Live feeding, unless your snake refuses to eat any other way, is not a good idea.)

An animal that's known humans and been cared for as a pet, and that is adopted with the expectation that it will continue to be a pet, is something different. I don't think many people here would give their dogs away knowing they'd get squashed by a python.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Cuy is good eating. Fuck the snake.

Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Rinse and repeat.
View Quote
Well, we know what happened to at least one of the daughters

Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#34]
rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, i've "rehomed" a lot of rodents when i was breeding reptiles.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Richard Gere
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Back when I had a snake that wouldn't eat pre-killed, I pointed out the irony of buying feeder rats and taking them home in a box that exclaimed about how happy they were to have a new home...
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Prototype flesh light for mice.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Really though, in addition to the health and nutrition concerns listed above, I think there's something wrong with using a pet animal that's being given away in the hopes that it will have a better life.

I mean if you're the first person taking it home and it's never known anything other than the farm/breeding center, hell I don't really care as long as you pre-kill humanely. (Live feeding, unless your snake refuses to eat any other way, is not a good idea.)

An animal that's known humans and been cared for as a pet, and that is adopted with the expectation that it will continue to be a pet, is something different. I don't think many people here would give their dogs away knowing they'd get squashed by a python.
View Quote
Yep, pretty much this.

People gonna do people things, though.  Not like it's a new phenomenon.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Rinse and repeat.
View Quote
that's shitty.  I know,  nature,  but that's shitty.  Rats, I get, but someone that can feed a healthy kitten to a snake, is a psycho.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you......
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
that's shitty.  I know,  nature,  but that's shitty.  Rats, I get, but someone that can feed a healthy kitten to a snake, is a psycho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rinse and repeat.
Kittens are better for pet crocs and gators anyways.

What's the difference if the animal is going to be put down anyways?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, no shit.

Not much difference between sedated euthanasia, or being penetrated by multiple knives, immobilized, and then being slowly crushed and suffocated.

Not much difference at all.

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nah I don’t have a snake and wouldn’t do that if I did.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rinse and repeat.
LOL, well he went back to active duty soon after, had one HELL of a career, and climbed even higher since. Pretty well known guy, in some circles.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I wouldn't feed cats to snakes, but more because of opinion/image of such things and risk of injury to the snake than because I think it's wrong.

Remember, one man's pet is the next man's vermin.

Shit, I've seen fancy rats bring as much money as some snakes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Rinse and repeat.
View Quote
Damn I hope karma exists.

Wonder how many people him, and his daughters have murdered to date?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Rinse and repeat.
View Quote
Unethical as fuck.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Amazing the types we have in GD

The opposite of you in that member here who is a LEO down in LA that saved the three legged cat named Mindy now.   I imagine you'd have just thrown that kitten in a swamp for gator or croc bait.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah, no shit.

Not much difference between sedated euthanasia, or being penetrated by multiple knives, immobilized, and then being slowly crushed and suffocated.

Sheesh.
View Quote
Nobody does edgy cat killing better than GD.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah, no shit.

Sheesh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no shit.

Sheesh.
I know, right?

Just like abortion.... ODs, criminality, and whatnot. Satanic Demons need to eat too.

Ha! Just fucking with you!

Or am I? Who knows!

J/k, I'm drunk.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top