Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Even all the science aside, there is no way it was straight down because then only way for that to happen would be if it were fired from his roof straight up. Anywhere else it would have had to have been in an arc to hit his house.

Either way scary situation. Hopefully the moron that fired it falls down a flight of stairs into a store room at a metal dildo factory.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly the myth busters said falling bullets wouldn’t be lethal because the terminal velocity of gravity would slow down a bullet but now I disagree.

He lives in Atlanta and was asleep.  A rifle round (looks like 5.56) came vertically down through his roof and put a good dent in his hardwood floor.

PSA - I’m sure we all know this by now.... don’t fire into the air!
View Quote
You are familiar with the technique of "plunging fire", correct?

Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/87bJfOR
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Problem is no one fires them off at 90*

When your arc them they go a long way and still fuck stuff up
View Quote
This, the mythbuster's test was done at 90*, everyone just shoots them at 45* though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What goes up must come down.  Simple physics!
View Quote
Usually, but not always.

https://www.space.com/43151-how-particles-escape-black-holes.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I worked at a large inner city hospital 15 years ago or so. Standard operating procedure was to have a crew inspect the roof of the main buildings at daybreak the next morning. Always 3-5 holes found and patched. Rubber roof. Shortens the life span, too. Roof was on a shorter replacement schedule than suburban facilities.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Even all the science aside, there is no way it was straight down because then only way for that to happen would be if it were fired from his roof straight up. Anywhere else it would have had to have been in an arc to hit his house.

Either way scary situation. Hopefully the moron that fired it falls down a flight of stairs into a store room at a metal dildo factory.
View Quote
That’s why it is scary it was like someone was standing on his roof but the bullet is pretty much ungrazed so I think it just zipped through the roofing and drywall but at a steep angle
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You are familiar with the technique of "plunging fire", correct?

http://www.tpub.com/seabee/12003_files/image240.jpg
View Quote
Vertical plunging fire that causes a 5.56 bullet to go through an attic? Bullets do weird things I guess
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Arab wedding near by?
View Quote
That would be 7.62.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a perfectly round hole. This would be expected.

It could the the iPotato pic quality but if you look at the tip of the bullet there seems to a fairly flat portion on the ogive. That is how the bullet impacted not on the point.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What goes up must come down.  Simple physics!
View Quote
In maintenance we used to say takeoffs were optional but landings were inevitable.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone did a magdump getting on the freeway by my house last night.
Morons.

A couple of years ago I found what looked like a .45 slug (just lead, no jacket) in my driveway. Didn't hit the house or anything but it smacked something pretty good before winding up there as it was pretty mangled.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/87bJfOR
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]
A few years ago Florida Man killed himself firing a pistol straight up. Good shot!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Mythbusters never read T. E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom.  Lawrence mention the Arab habit of discharging firearms in the air, sometimes with fatal consequences to man and beast alike.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#16]
That looks like a 30 caliber bullet that fell base first (which it would).

That would have enough sectional density to do what op suggested.

OP is vindicated.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I call total BS.

A fired bullet would never hit the roof tip first unless it was fired straight down.

A bullet in a ballistic arc does not "Nose Over". The spin on the bullet keeps the bullet aligned to axis of the bore the entire flight, that is the whole point of the rifling.

Bullets are not footballs.
View Quote
Well, it depends.

A bullet will stay aligned with the bore, more or less, until the center of gravity and the center of pressure on the round diverge enough to create a moment strong enough to overcome the rotational stability created by the rifling.

Once the moment caused by the center of gravity and the center of pressure overcomes the bullet's stability, it will start to meander towards whatever direction is most aerodynamically stable for that bullet type/shape/weight.

I believe it was the Brits, on shooting their .303 at extremely long ranges, found that it often landed base first.

Just think about shooting a round that is too heavy for a particular rate of twist.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A woman was killed last night in Houston TX.

Woman dies after being hit by celebratory gunfire
View Quote
3 yo kid was hit by fragments last night in Phoenix

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/pd-child-injured-by-random-gunfire-in-phoenix
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’ll tell him to do this, I’ve only seen pictures but it looks like it came in literally vertical.  Through a roof and attic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use a long thin dowel rod or even string to connect the ceiling and roof holes to see the actual angle of entry.

At long distances bullets are dropping fast.  Use a ballistic calculator set to 10 yard increments and see the drop rate.

At 1000 yards StrelokPro says my 80 grain Sierra Match King is still doing over 1000 fps but dropping about 10 inches for every 10 yards.

At 1500 yards it’s doing 850 fps and dropping over 30 inches every 10 yards.

Someone else can calculate the angle of those drops.
I’ll tell him to do this, I’ve only seen pictures but it looks like it came in literally vertical.  Through a roof and attic
Hitting the roof likely altered the angle of the trajectory.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A few years ago Florida Man killed himself firing a pistol straight up. Good shot!
View Quote
In a vacuum, a bullet fired straight up is decelerated by the force of gravity. On its way back down, it is accelerated by the force of gravity. The two forces are equal. It will hit at the same velocity that it left the muzzle, IN A VACUUM.

In real life, the equation is much more complex, as air resistance plays a significant deceleration role.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#22]
At my last job, someone found a bullet on the office floor after New Years that had come down through the roof our the metal building.  When the workers went up to fix the hole, they found another round on one of the ceiling metal beams.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, it depends.

A bullet will stay aligned with the bore, more or less, until the center of gravity and the center of pressure on the round diverge enough to create a moment strong enough to overcome the rotational stability created by the rifling.

Once the moment caused by the center of gravity and the center of pressure overcomes the bullet's stability, it will start to meander towards whatever direction is most aerodynamically stable for that bullet type/shape/weight.

I believe it was the Brits, on shooting their .303 at extremely long ranges, found that it often landed base first.

Just think about shooting a round that is too heavy for a particular rate of twist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I call total BS.

A fired bullet would never hit the roof tip first unless it was fired straight down.

A bullet in a ballistic arc does not "Nose Over". The spin on the bullet keeps the bullet aligned to axis of the bore the entire flight, that is the whole point of the rifling.

Bullets are not footballs.
Well, it depends.

Exactly right!

That was my point about "nosing over" tip-forward flight requires spin stabilization. At long distances the tip is above the axis centerline, once it is not spin stabilized it will fly base forward.

Good video explaining it.
Bullet Stabilization and Barrel Twist
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm going to hell for laughing.
Quoted:

In a vacuum, a bullet fired straight up is decelerated by the force of gravity. On its way back down, it is accelerated by the force of gravity. The two forces are equal. It will hit at the same velocity that it left the muzzle, IN A VACUUM.

In real life, the equation is much more complex, as air resistance plays a significant deceleration role.
Wouldn't wind also play a role?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arab wedding near by?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsgMGkaqRCM
WTF at 0:09 ?  
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hitting the roof likely altered the angle of the trajectory.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good point.  It could’ve been deflected directly downward to make it look like it was coming vertically.  He hasn’t gone to check the roof hole yet.  I’ll tell him that
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Was a less than vertical flight path.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly the myth busters said falling bullets wouldn’t be lethal because the terminal velocity of gravity would slow down a bullet but now I disagree.
View Quote
I don't know if they said that or not, but Mythbusters says a lot of stupid shit that isn't true.

Fired perfectly straight up, a bullet will sometimes fall base-first, sometimes, not, but it can certainly kill someone if it hits them coming down.

Fire not perfectly straight up - like anyone actually shooting into the air like a tard - and the horizontal component of the velocity isn't affected by gravity, only by air resistance, and they will be going A LOT faster and can easily go through exterior walls and roofs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#31]
this didn't happen, but if it did, it was fired by someone claiming that they had a draco
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#32]
news said a lady got hit by a round last night in Delray, Florida. they think it was a falling round.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes- weather, wind, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, altitude, etc. That's why physicists always calculate in a vacuum, otherwise the equations become daunting.

And like a previous poster said, if NOT fired straight up, the horizontal component of velocity is not affected by gravity.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There was some idiot down the road doing a mag dump last night.  What a waste of good ammunition.
View Quote
Ummmm...what state are you in?
We did a couple of mag dumps last night. Into my backyard range.

IIRC, the Mythbusters segment on this was their only one where they determined it to be Busted, Plausible, and Confirmed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Brother is a Sheriff Deputy at an airport in FL. Couple years ago he came out and found a bullet hole in the hood of his police car after new years. It went through the sheet metal and stopped by the hood frame. It definitely came from someone firing into the air but what angle, no idea. It had to be filled and repainted.
View Quote
Brother is a cop in Houston.  Last he told me, they have a standing order to be under hard cover 5 min before and 10 min after midnight.   Inside a building or car under an overpass.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Redacted.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He lives in Atlanta and was asleep.  A rifle round (looks like 5.56) came vertically down through his roof and put a good dent in his hardwood floor.

PSA - I’m sure we all know this by now.... don’t fire into the air!  
View Quote
HOTLANTA.  I spent New Years Eve at our terminal there one year and spent some time underneath my trailer load of boxes of copier paper when the denizens of the neighboring projects started doing AK mag dumps at midnight.  Before the party was over there were several other people taking shelter with me under that trailer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I pull a ton of bullets out of roofs. They ALL get stuck in the top of the roof without penetrating the deck and going into the building. The only full penetration I’ve found was on a shitty rusted structural metal roof - those don’t have anything below the metal.

If a bullet went through your friends roof, deck and ceiling then it was fired in an arc at the roof and was not just falling down.

Roof bullets:

Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A woman was killed last night in Houston TX.

Woman dies after being hit by celebratory gunfire
View Quote
Must be fake news.  GD has firmly decided this can not happen. I guess some of the GD experts could be FOS.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Also GD has concluded that Home Owner stood on top of his
Roof and shot straight Down into his Own Home while Asleep!!  

It can't Happen, OP is Lying, Someone Shot into the Roof on Purpose???  

So the Hole in the Ceiling and the Hole Mark in the Floor
must be Photoshopped then??    

Damn, GD is full of Loony Tunies!!

Diddiidde, Deddididide, That's All Folks!!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#42]
No way in hell the terminal velocity of a 55-grain bullet is high enough to penetrate a roof AND ceiling, let alone have anything left over to dent a floor.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah but only if shot straight up*.

Most fools shooting are shooting off at angles less than 90 degrees.

* except when shooting from a tread mill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I remember correctly the myth busters said falling bullets wouldn't be lethal because the terminal velocity of gravity would slow down a bullet but now I disagree.
Yeah but only if shot straight up*.

Most fools shooting are shooting off at angles less than 90 degrees.

* except when shooting from a tread mill
Incorrect. It will always fall at the same rate. However, the horizontal component of the velocity is what you worry about.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#44]
People die every year from celebratory gunfire in cities, its fucking dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#45]
If I dropped or shot that to the edge of space, you wouldn't be in much danger and it wouldn't go through a shingled roof/plywood and drywall.  If I shot it from say 45 degrees it so it probably would, that is the difference.  If you shoot something near vertical its probably not going to do much, that wasn't shot near vertical.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The bullet has to have maintained trajectory. A bullet free falling is tumbling and will not hurt anything.
View Quote
You suck at math.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Call 'em god bullets.

And yeah, you can get fucked up from one.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top