Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2018 4:40:47 PM EDT
Probably getting a new place, on 5 acres which is all cleared.  Flat, level, pretty wide open.

Fastest and most cost effective way to mow it?  60" zero turn?  Finishing mower?

Hopefully some guys with large lawns can offer some advice on what to look at and what to stay away from.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Love our Bad Boy Outlaw XP.  Would buy again.  Mow 2 acres without a straight line on it, went from 4.5 hours on a rider to 2.25

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Try and find a lawn mower who does it for the love of mowing.

Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love our Bad Boy Outlaw XP.  Would buy again.  Mow 2 acres without a straight line on it, went from 4.5 hours on a rider to 2.25

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/D7EB9227-A57D-42C3-B5B5-87169457F021-431159.JPG
View Quote
I saw those, have you had to buy parts for it?  I heard the parts are hard to come by and expensive?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I saw those, have you had to buy parts for it?  I heard the parts are hard to come by and expensive?
View Quote
Haven't had to replace anything.  Parts are reasonable and available at the local dealer or online.  Only issue we had was the right side pump fried after 37 hours due to a line being routed wrong and getting pinched.  Replaced under warranty no questions asked.  Shit happens, dealer handled it very well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
72" @ 8mph.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
72" @ 8mph.
View Quote
What brands/models can do that?  A lot of the Husqvarna I looked at weren't at that capacity.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#8]
72" at 13mph. Ferris is what you seek.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Zero turn
Now which model

I have a Ferris and mow my lawn in 20 minutes.

1 acre
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Bad Boy, zero problems and cuts great.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bad Boy, zero problems and cuts great.
View Quote
Yep.  Easy to work on too

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the happiest days of my life is when I sold the big yard place in the country and moved into the city and could  complete the yard work in under a hour.

You young guys, knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Find out what the dealers are in your area first.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Kubota
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#15]
5 acres?  Make sure whatever you get has a decent cup holder and a spot to mount cooler for keeping the beer cold.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
5 acres?  Make sure whatever you get has a decent cup holder and a spot to mount cooler for keeping the beer cold.
View Quote
Lol ok.

Surprised at the votes for bad boy but I'll give them a look
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/D7EB9227-A57D-42C3-B5B5-87169457F021-431159.JPG
View Quote
It takes you 2.25 hrs to mow 2 acres? I have 5 and I can do it in 2 hrs with a 48" deck non zero turn. Turn up the power and mow. I have shit tons of Tree's and different lots.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a kubota ztr.  Look at exmark.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Kubota
View Quote
commercial ZTR diesel 3 cyl motor,welded plate deck, 72 inches of speed and power. Last mower I will ever need
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It takes you 2.25 hrs to mow 2 acres? I have 5 and I can do it in 2 hrs with a 48" deck non zero turn. Turn up the power and mow. I have shit tons of Tree's and different lots.
View Quote
You're welcome to come over and try to do it faster
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Video or you both sit when you pee
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

This any good?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#24]
At least take a good look at Dixie Chopper. They're a buy once, cry once deal, though. I've got 3 close friends that have them now for quite a few years (60 inch Silver Eagles, I believe) and they do a fine job. They aren't cheap, but they've all been dead nuts reliable for them.

The key is they (Zero turns) do best on flat, even ground which you seem to have. Hilly, or rough, not so much! Keep your blades sharp, deck level and free from debris that can rust hydro fittings. The easy access to the external hydro pumps seems like a good feature, too, though none have failed yet.

http://www.dixiechopper.com/dealer-locator
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy a lightly used commercial grade zero turn.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Ferris 48" is600z.

Commercial Kawasaki motor, Hydrogear ZT-3400 hydros, and coilover suspension.

It mows at 10mph.  Holy cow it moves.

$4,999.  3 year warranty if I remember right.

Look at the Ferris offerings and I'd so recommend the Husqvarna MZT line.
I looked into about a dozen brands, and you almost always get more for your money when you don't buy one of the more recognizable brands.

But they almost all use the same components off the shelf.

The real difference is the deck design and a few little things that each brand brags about.

Ferris's unique point is the suspension.

Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lol ok.

Surprised at the votes for bad boy but I'll give them a look
View Quote
I really wanted to like the Bad Boy brand, but their quality just didn't feel as good to me as some of the others.

You definitly pay a little more for the name and their advertising.
They are certainly flashy, tho.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#29]
You probably won't be able to get a new one for any cheaper.

But it probably won't last you a long time, it won't be as fast, won't cut as good, or be as enjoyable as a nicer machine.

But either go cheap as possible, or do it right.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Honestly OP, just take a look at these.
You won't find a better mixture of value on the market.
Just punch in your zip code and find the nearest dealer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I will soon be starting my 13th season with my Scag 61” cut with a 27 hp Koehler.

No complaints and almost no problems. I had to replace the PTO actuator and the belts. That’s it other than normal maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Personally, no.

I'd buy something from an actual dealer. That way if there's ever a problem, you have someone to go to.

I've had great luck with Hustler and would recommend one to anyone. Again, not from a big box store.

I'd also recommend getting a commercial grade mower for 5 acres. Do you need it? No. But you'll be glad you have it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

But it probably won't last you a long time, it won't be as fast, won't cut as good, or be as enjoyable as a nicer machine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting, I thought John Deere would be one of the better machines
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:54:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I have an old 48” Exmark Metro run-behind. It makes short work of pretty much anything and it doesn’t tear up the yard quite as much as a zero-turn.

That Kohler V-twin replacement engine I have on it also basically converted it to a bush hog; it’ll mow 12” wet grass in 5th gear. I might snap a belt if it gets too crazy but the engine won’t stall.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:56:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Deere has some good models in the commercial line, but the consumer grade offered through Home Depot are not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:07:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ve got 3 flat acres and my Cub Cadet 54” ZTR (it has the Kohler v-twin engine too) does an awesome job. Definitely go for something at least slightly larger, like a 60”, for 5 acres. The fact that your lot is flat I think makes the a ZTR your best choice. I got mine new for under $3k, and I think it is about the least expensive brand.  I suspect $5k is about the minimum you’ll want to spend on a ZTR. If you want something bigger you’ll probably need to spend like $20k for a big ass tractor, which you might choose to do if you have to have a tractor anyways...

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I mow am an acre at home and 3 acres at the family cemetery.  Bought a Hustler Raptor SD with a 54" deck, Kohler industrial motor and the optional cushioned front end.  Great maneuverability weighs about 700 pounds, bolted frame, 3 year/300 hour warranty, easy to trailer. Cost was about $4600.00  Takes about 40 minutes to mow home and an hour and a half to mow the cemetery.  Only problem is traction, could use a little more weight on the drive tires, may look for wheel weights.

I went to the Raptor SD for the heavier spindles and deck.

My gun club just replaced their 13 year old Cub Cadet "Tank" which was beginning to eat us up on maintenance. with a 72" Hustler X-One with the cushioned front end and optional seat.  Welded frame.  Cost is in the $11,000.00 range.  5 year/500 hour warranty.  We mow about 10 acres and the guys that do most of the mowing could not be happier.  Mower weighs about 1100 pounds.

Don't buy from your local big box store, they only handle the base models.  Look for a servicing dealer.  Spend the extra bucks for the cushioned front end and get a model that you will be happy with for the next 10 (or more) years.  Buy once, cry once.

I went to the Hustler on the recommendation of a friend who runs seven (mostly X-Ones) commercially.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#38]
The commercial Kubotas z300 series and the Zxxxx I don' remember the numbers...four digit are the real deal. The z700 stuff is lighter duty and I was not impressed when I checked them out.

I have a Z332, 33hp Kubota gas engine, built like a tank. Heavy as hell, works great on steep slopes, they will tear up turf in real zero turns if it's wet.  They are stingy on fuel and have tons of power and speed. They don't stripe as well as the Ferris 3 wheeler we have but they do a decent job and double as a wood chipper and stump grinder.

They are also about 15k new, so...yeah...find a good used one unless you're one of Arfcoms well hung millionaires with the kinky supermodel wife.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Old Ford NAA and a brush hog.  Not the fastest or cleanest but pretty economical and definitely the most fun.  Then start buying implements when you want to put in a garden, drill fence posts, plow snow, etc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Ferris, Scag, Gravely, Dixie Chopper, Grass Hopper, ExMarkn Kubota and Bad Boy. Find a dealer near you.

The hydro drives at least 3100 series. The box store ones are sealed or 2800 series.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've got 3 flat acres and my Cub Cadet 54" ZTR (it has the Kohler v-twin engine too) does an awesome job. Definitely go for something at least slightly larger, like a 60", for 5 acres. The fact that your lot is flat I think makes the a ZTR your best choice. I got mine new for under $3k, and I think it is about the least expensive brand.  I suspect $5k is about the minimum you'll want to spend on a ZTR. If you want something bigger you'll probably need to spend like $20k for a big ass tractor, which you might choose to do if you have to have a tractor anyways...

Good luck!
View Quote
This is exactly where I'm at.  In a way I want to get a tractor with a loader and just pull a finishing mower but I really don't know yet how much I'll use the tractor
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Old Ford NAA and a brush hog.  Not the fastest or cleanest but pretty economical and definitely the most fun.  Then start buying implements when you want to put in a garden, drill fence posts, plow snow, etc.
View Quote
I found an 8N with a rebuilt engine for 3200 lol, it would be useful to have a bucket and a PTO
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I found an 8N with a rebuilt engine for 3200 lol, it would be useful to have a bucket and a PTO
View Quote
You can get a Deere 1025R or Kubota BX with a loader and belly mower for ~$225 a month on a 0% interest loan.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Find out what the dealers are in your area first.
View Quote
This.  There are a number of good mowers on the market that will suit your need.  Figure out which ones you can get parts/service for easily.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Crap, Every John Deere that is not a farm tractor is a green turd. The line of buying from a dealer is false as well .
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#46]
I have the Z655 (2015) with a 60" and it takes me about 50 minutes to cut my two acres.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#47]
My recommendation is to find a zero turn with a 60" or larger deck.

Dont skimp on power.

Someone said to find a brand with a close(ish) local dealer, this is also sound advice.

This thread, like all other mower reccomendation threads, will bring out people who love one brand and absolutely despise others.

Warranty can make a difference too, especially if you're buying new.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
OP....I would avoid the 8N for your intended use. Without live PTO they are less than ideal for running a mower. Same goes for a loader. They were a great little innovative tractor 75 years ago but there are a lot better choices. If you are seeking the best way to get your mowing done then I would highly recommend a commercial grade zero turn. I run a Scag and am very impressed with it. As has been stated before... there are several choices for quality units on the market.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Scag Cheetah. I also mow around 5 acres. The Scag cut is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#50]
I just turned 1300 hours on my Exmark and have never replaced a belt.  I take good car of it with normal maintenance but have never had a repair.

Buy once, cry once from a trusted outdoor power dealer, not a big box store.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top