Quoted:
Now do 1911.
View Quote

Better not be polymer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting choice. Glock has remained committed to doing but basic, cheap to produce pistols for so long. And their first non-pistol is an AR. Would have been interesting to see them try something different. Just an odd choice because they went from market leader (everyone is copying the Glock style pistol) to following trends with this one.

I wonder if we're going to see a more risk taking Glock in the future. Maybe they'll come out with high end semi custom pistols like SIG, Beretta and others do. They've let that market fill out with companies like ZEV. Maybe we'll see Glock try and go after that market directly.
View Quote

It would be less trend following if they came out with their version of the PCC. They would probably put a reasonable price on it and it would probably sell.

The second paragraph above made me think of their tan and green models. The tan one looks good in person. I never saw the green one in person but it looks good to my eyes in pictures.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The SIG SPEAR exists.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted: Some inbred illiterate fucks on here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They may build one that is excellent in reliability and longevity for a price less than equal ARs. Time will tell.

If they get the military contract, they'll probably start making them for the civilian market. It seems like it would almost be guaranteed success.
View Quote

Less?

You can bet your bottom dollar Glocks will be on the upper end of the price range. Like their shitty pistols.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
So it has a glock switch?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Less?

You can bet your bottom dollar Glocks will be on the upper end of the price range. Like their shitty pistols.
View Quote

Glocks on the upper end of the price range?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CONFIRMED

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
CONFIRMED

Glock has confirmed to AmmoLand News that the pictures that set the Internet on fire of the AR-15 style Glock carbine are real.

“Glock is always in development of future products and technologies through the pursuit of perfection,” Ainsley Cash Conner, Communications Manager for Glock, told AmmoLand News. “The image shared is of a product developed for select solicitations and it is not available for the general market at this time.”

The Glock carbine designated the GR-115F is in trials with the British Army. The British Army is looking to replace its current SA-80 rifle. The British Royal Marines awarded a contract Colt Canada to replace its existing stock of aging SA-80 rifles with M4 like rifles. It is reported that Glock is up against Knights Armaments (KA) and Lewis Machine and Tool Company (LMT) for the lucrative British contract. However, there could be other companies in the running.

According to the source, the GR-115F is chambered in 5.56 NATO, which is the standard round for all NATO countries. The rifle has a 14.5-inch barrel like the American military’s M4 carbine and an OSS suppressor with a flash hider. The Glock rifle appears to have an impingement gas system. The handguard is marked “Glock,” which indicates the firearms giant makes it. It has an MLOK rail system to allow for easy attachment of accessories. The handguard also has quick detach mounting points for things like slings.

The fire controls on the rifle are ambidextrous with safe, semi-automatic, and automatic settings. The bolt release on the gun is also ambidextrous. The GR-115F also has a Magpul pistol grip and an oversized trigger guard. The firearm is equipped with a standard buffer tube and a Magpul CTR stock.

Although Glock has confirmed that the pictures are real, the company said it is for select solicitations and is not available for the general public at this time. It appears any hopes for the Glock carbine to be available to the civilian market will have to wait.

Fuck them, I have 2 of their hand guns and they get very little use as it is. I have other AR's that would dust the ones that Glock is going to produce.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It would be less trend following if they came out with their version of the PCC. They would probably put a reasonable price on it and it would probably sell.

The second paragraph above made me think of their tan and green models. The tan one looks good in person. I never saw the green one in person but it looks good to my eyes in pictures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting choice. Glock has remained committed to doing but basic, cheap to produce pistols for so long. And their first non-pistol is an AR. Would have been interesting to see them try something different. Just an odd choice because they went from market leader (everyone is copying the Glock style pistol) to following trends with this one.

I wonder if we're going to see a more risk taking Glock in the future. Maybe they'll come out with high end semi custom pistols like SIG, Beretta and others do. They've let that market fill out with companies like ZEV. Maybe we'll see Glock try and go after that market directly.

They need to make something like this that takes Glock mags:

Not sure how ergonomic the grip would be as a shouldered PCC, but probably not too bad. Ideally the grip portion and barrel/bolt can be swapped out so you can go from 9mm to .45 to 10mm.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
So... I think everyone is willfully ignoring the key element here.

This is a reality, a timeline... Whatever, where the SA-80 could be replaced in service by a Glock carbine.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Jesus 8700 people have repeated this point. THEYRE COMPETING FOR A MILITARY CONTRACT, NOT FOR CONSUMER MARKET. Some inbred illiterate fucks on here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would Glock make a product for an already saturated market?
Jesus 8700 people have repeated this point. THEYRE COMPETING FOR A MILITARY CONTRACT, NOT FOR CONSUMER MARKET. Some inbred illiterate fucks on here.

I expect unadulterated retardation when it comes to automotive related threads on this site, but Jesus, I expect better when it comes to firearms related topics.  This is just embarrassing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve been an unashamed Glock fanboy for years. This is sweet!
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does it take Glock mags?
View Quote

Yes, Glock will make AR mags
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Gas piston I guess. Those Euros love them gas piston.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I hope it has pic rails to hang dildos off of the front hand guard. I like pic rails. I like hanging stuff to LARP on Facebook.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those wanting to buy one:  I have my doubts it would ever even be offered on the civilian market.
View Quote

I’ve already got 3
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Less?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may build one that is excellent in reliability and longevity for a price less than equal ARs. Time will tell.

If they get the military contract, they'll probably start making them for the civilian market. It seems like it would almost be guaranteed success.

Less?

Time will tell. If that is true, they won't be providing anything special in terms of design or value.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So it has a glock switch?
View Quote

Is that the full auto thing?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it take Glock mags?

Maybe they'll prove to be better than Magpul.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’ve already got 3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those wanting to buy one:  I have my doubts it would ever even be offered on the civilian market.

I’ve already got 3

How did you acquire them?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Glock would sell a ton of them to fanboyz. Thing could be equivalent to a POS Olympic Arms and they would still buy the "perfection".

FWIW... The British SAS and SBS recently selected the MCX as their issued carbine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve already got 3

My supermodel 10 girlfriend got em from the gettin place

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:09:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Glock would sell a ton of them to fanboyz. Thing could be equivalent to a POS Olympic Arms and they would still buy the "perfection".

FWIW... The British SAS and SBS recently selected the MCX as their issued carbine.
View Quote

Silly goose don’t you know SiG only makes garbage in the US
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Can't wait for 2028 when they come out with a PCC, by 2030 they'll have one that folds in half and takes glock mags!
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:18:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This.  I don't understand the hysteria.  Its a government proposal for bids.  If Glock wants to do nothing original whatsoever and simply clone a Colt M4 to meet the contract, its a win for them.  They have the manufacturing and QC capability to make a superb durable M4 at a bid winning price.  Its just government procurement.  Nothing more or less.  Nothing to get excited about or get one's panties in a wad about either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He makes a good point.   Maybe answer his question.

The MILITARY CONTRACT MARKET IS ALSO SATURATED

sig MCX, Sig SPEAR, HK 416, Colt, FN, DD, Larue, KAC, SIG RATTLER.  

ITS FUCKING SATURATED AS FUCK

It's completely irrelevant how saturated it is. If you can meet the requirements in that one specific RFP at a winning price that allows you to make a profit then it's worth doing. It's not like there's much sunk cost for Glock in this.

This.  I don't understand the hysteria.  Its a government proposal for bids.  If Glock wants to do nothing original whatsoever and simply clone a Colt M4 to meet the contract, its a win for them.  They have the manufacturing and QC capability to make a superb durable M4 at a bid winning price.  Its just government procurement.  Nothing more or less.  Nothing to get excited about or get one's panties in a wad about either.

HK have been winning lots of contracts like that lately. They must be kicking themselves over the development cost and effort they put into the G36, apparently they can just make an AR that's not compatible with standard handguards and they've got a winner.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why?

Theres hundreds of established rifle makers...what is Glock going to do that KAC or others haven't?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why?

Theres hundreds of established rifle makers...what is Glock going to do that KAC or others haven't?

Have manufacturing in Europe. Which is significant for winning large European contracts. (Just like manufacturing in the US is important for winning US contracts). Does KAC have a factory in Europe? Can they setup a factory in Europe while remaining competitive with organizations that already have a factory there (and they paid off the building decades ago)?

Quoted:
The American companies competing with Glock may be at a disadvantage due to Glock being European. Anyone have any idea how much so if that is true?

Scoring in everything except price is always a bit subjective. Manufacturing in the UK would almost certainly get you max marks for that element of the quality score (I'd have to pull the document and dig through it to see how highly weighted that section is). How much better does the UK see manufacturing in Europe versus the US post-Brexit? European countries really like European manufacturing but the UK may be more ambivalent

Setting up manufacturing in the UK is going to hurt the price score for sure. How much depends on the other prices since the score is generated by comparison with the best price.

One possible option for KAC/LMT is to get AI or BAE or someone to do the assembly - that keeps their costs from going up too much while also getting them some extra points for their quality score. Whether that is the best way to optimise their score depends on how the various elements are weighted.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:23:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oGTYnPKz-LU/maxresdefault.jpg

Not sure how ergonomic the grip would be as a shouldered PCC, but probably not too bad. Ideally the grip portion and barrel/bolt can be swapped out so you can go from 9mm to .45 to 10mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oGTYnPKz-LU/maxresdefault.jpg

Get yourself a B&T USW-G17 chassis and you can have that right now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:30:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Now do 1911.
View Quote

Chambered in 9mm luger.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:31:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah... that pesky auto sear pin hole in the receiver spoils the whole idea!

It would be cheaper to etch an 80% build with a Glock Logo!

It is just another M16/M4 clone... at least with the HK 416 they owned the design in an attempt to build a better M16/M4!
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:39:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are ARs importable with the current sporting purposes nonsense?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:57:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can't wait for 2028 when they come out with a PCC, by 2030 they'll have one that folds in half and takes glock mags!
View Quote

A Glock MP7ish in 9mm that took G17 mags would be awesome.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Silly goose don’t you know SiG only makes garbage in the US
View Quote

Is the American Sig bigwig the same guy who was at Kimber?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:36:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Have manufacturing in Europe. Which is significant for winning large European contracts. (Just like manufacturing in the US is important for winning US contracts). Does KAC have a factory in Europe? Can they setup a factory in Europe while remaining competitive with organizations that already have a factory there (and they paid off the building decades ago)?

Scoring in everything except price is always a bit subjective. Manufacturing in the UK would almost certainly get you max marks for that element of the quality score (I'd have to pull the document and dig through it to see how highly weighted that section is). How much better does the UK see manufacturing in Europe versus the US post-Brexit? European countries really like European manufacturing but the UK may be more ambivalent

Setting up manufacturing in the UK is going to hurt the price score for sure. How much depends on the other prices since the score is generated by comparison with the best price.

One possible option for KAC/LMT is to get AI or BAE or someone to do the assembly - that keeps their costs from going up too much while also getting them some extra points for their quality score. Whether that is the best way to optimise their score depends on how the various elements are weighted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Quoted:
The American companies competing with Glock may be at a disadvantage due to Glock being European. Anyone have any idea how much so if that is true?

@Scott-S6

Thanks for the interesting post.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 3:04:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@Scott-S6

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Quoted:

@Scott-S6

No worries. I will try to lay my hands on the document and see if it's actually public or not really. (Some countries are 100% open about military procurement docs, some are open after the fact, some not at all). If I can get it and talk about it I'll summarize the mandatory and desirable characteristics and factors.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#35]
I have the contract summary (not the full doc) and this is public info. I'll continue trying to lay my hands on the full doc. There is some interesting stuff in the summary (but bear in mind that this is incomplete in detail)

An "AR platform" rifle is required and that is detailed somewhat.
"Gas operated" seems to leave the door open for DI or piston
Standard buffer isn't specified, possibly allowing a sig-type recoil spring arrangement, but
Industry standard takedown pin arrangement is required implying a desire to swap uppers
Must shoot Brit SS109 equivalent
Supressor mounted is intended to be the primary use configuration but operator must be able to remove the supressor
Rifle to be supplied with optics (which can be made by someone else)
Nothing about optic spec except that it must be ballistically matched There are quite a few dual optics in use with the Brits currently (elcans and acogs with dots)

Six vendors will be selected to provide rifles+optics (We know that LMT, KAC and Glock are in. Presumably HK because of the BAE connection and they've bought from Diemaco in the past. Who's the 6th? FN? Do they manufacture ARs in Belgium?)
88-528 rifles to be supplied for testing. That's a big range with oddly specific bounds
After testing there will be two mini competitions, one for the rifle and one for the optic. One vendor can win both but this isn't required.
Quantities are interesting. This is nominally for the new SF brigade so they're buying 3K. They also have the option of buying up to 10K which is described as "full fleet" but that's way more than a single brigade. So it's clearly for multiple units but it's only a fraction of just active infantry. Definitely not an L85 replacement procurement. Possibly for all of the various SF units?

ETA contract is expected to be between half a mill and 90 mill pounds. That implies a unit cost of between $180 and $9,900. Quite a range. That low end is a bit optimistic (is it a typo and the low end is 5mill making the unit cost $1800?) Before someone comes back with "I can get a PSA for five hundred bucks" that's a price for rifle, optics, ten years of spares and probably (summary doesn't say but it's pretty standard) a load of mags, slings, armourer tools and training, transit cases, armoury racks, etc.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure is, the crazy thing is Sig is now small arms leader for government contracts, even to the SOCOM.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Cool but I wish they'd done something along the lines of what was to be the Masada.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Cool but I wish they'd done something along the lines of what was to be the Masada.
View Quote
They have some pretty interesting AR-180/piston type patents.  We could see something like that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#39]
I wonder if this gun shares much similarity to the AR my friend saw when he worked for Glock.

This had to be 8 or 9 years ago when he visited Smyrna and shot a Glock AR

Glad to see it is actually getting an opportunity to be bought.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Interesting. Had not seen any reports. Nor heard any rumours.
View Quote
Ours (LE), are currently out of service, got that first hand from our Armourer who maintains them. I'm told military ones too, but can't confirm that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The SIG SPEAR exists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm done with the AR-15.  Why not make a rifle in a more powerful cartridge that actually addresses some of the issues of the platform?  I have enough AR, I want something in a larger caliber, not .308, that isn't an AR-15.  Glock as usual didn't do what I want and they should be ashamed of that.

The SIG SPEAR exists.

Maybe… An ACR in 6.8 SPC?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Brits are looking to give up their bullpup, as is China.
While nice and compact, they have limited real estate to mount all the modern accessories.
Not giving up mine though!
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sure is, the crazy thing is Sig is now small arms leader for government contracts, even to the SOCOM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, jeez! I wish he would leave for some other industry.

I guess the level of care they use in manufacturing their guns for government contracts is higher than for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 2:24:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Oh, jeez! I wish he would leave for some other industry.

I guess the level of care they use in manufacturing their guns for government contracts is higher than for the rest of us.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm wondering if the Glock "AR" looks like a AR is because whichever government wrote the contract pretty much penciled in the AR specifications so the submission looks like a AR.

Plus you can have 20 companies submitting AR type rifles and the winning rifle will need to pass all the tests plus be the cheapest.

So who ever can make it cheapest gets the contract even PSA.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#47]
They will sell.
If for no other reason, departments will be able to only deal with one vendor for rifle and pistol procurement.

Glock should have been in the ammo game long ago and could be sole source for both weapons and consumables.  That, and slap their logo on some holosun optics. Worked for Sig.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have to look at generals who retire and work at Sig for the answer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if the Glock "AR" looks like a AR is because whichever government wrote the contract pretty much penciled in the AR specifications so the submission looks like a AR.
View Quote

I posted a summary of the contract summary above - it needs to be a standard AR of some flavour that shoots SS109. This is mandatory.

No room for anything especially innovative.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They will sell.
If for no other reason, departments will be able to only deal with one vendor for rifle and pistol procurement.

Glock should have been in the ammo game long ago and could be sole source for both weapons and consumables.  That, and slap their logo on some holosun optics. Worked for Sig.  

View Quote

Good post.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top