Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I Watched CIVIL WAR So You Don't Have To

This told me all I need to know, not going to see it in the theater, but I'll watch it when it's streaming.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going this weekend to check it out.

Last movie I saw in the theaters was Dune Part 2. So I'm prepared to be let down
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you really shouldn’t take relationship advice from here or medical advice for that matter
View Quote

Exactly. You should come to GD for financial advice only.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That was a crocodile, dumbass.
View Quote

Australian Civil War, crikey mate

Edit- Just saw your update OP. Glad you liked it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought it was a very good film. No political bias.

And as a student of history, it did show a civil war as chaotic, don’t surrender to anyone, don’t trust anyone and that it will be very very violent.
View Quote

NOOO IT WAS JUST ABOUT TRUMP

But yes, I agree with you... the basic point that I took away from the movie was, to most people caught up in such a conflict, things suck. Actual news/intelligence will be rare and most likely false or misinterpreted; a lot of people are going to die for a bunch of, often stupid, reasons. And at that point, politics don't really matter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But yes, I agree with you... the basic point that I took away from the movie was, to most people caught up in such a conflict, things suck. Actual news/intelligence will be rare and most likely false or misinterpreted; a lot of people are going to die for a bunch of, often stupid, reasons. And at that point, politics don't really matter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought it was a very good film. No political bias.

And as a student of history, it did show a civil war as chaotic, don’t surrender to anyone, don’t trust anyone and that it will be very very violent.

That and psychopaths in disguise.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's not that I don't believe that this movie could really not have a political slant, it just that I've doubt it anymore. Over the years I've heard numerous times from people on this website about how a certain movie is not political and i watch it only to discover it is loaded with so much political bullshit that I can't even finish it.

It's not even that I can't handle different opinions than my own, it's just that so prevalent and predictable now that it's all so tiresome. I just want to be entertained and not preached at about how I'm a bad person.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the move portray the media as biased partisan propagandist that they are or as a neutral entity just trying to report the story?

The journalists are in-the-shit combat photographers.  Political opinions are irrelevant and never mentioned in the movie.  "The media" you refer to are mainstream talking heads, not the ones imbedded in war zones.  The main message is "war is ugly".

Jesus, this place is a broken record with the "there HAS to be propaganda in this movie!" nonsense.

It's not that I don't believe that this movie could really not have a political slant, it just that I've doubt it anymore. Over the years I've heard numerous times from people on this website about how a certain movie is not political and i watch it only to discover it is loaded with so much political bullshit that I can't even finish it.

It's not even that I can't handle different opinions than my own, it's just that so prevalent and predictable now that it's all so tiresome. I just want to be entertained and not preached at about how I'm a bad person.

I don't disagree and I'm usually quick to point out political/woke bullshit but the movie did a great job of leaving it out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Still a better love story than Twilight.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Having some bbq afterwards
View Quote

How was the 'cue?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How was the 'cue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having some bbq afterwards

How was the 'cue?

I had tacos
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had tacos
View Quote

Thread saved!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thread saved!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had tacos

Thread saved!

TACOS REPRESENT THE OPEN BOARDER AND SUPPORT BIDEN WAKE UP PEOPLE

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I only really come here for relationship, fitness and nutrition advice
View Quote

I came here to save money. It's not going so well...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

My favorite part of the movie is when the Mexican trannies feed the poisoned tacos to Donald Trump, but instead of killing him they only make him stronger.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It’s not that I don't believe that this movie could really not have a political slant, it just that I’ve doubt it anymore. Over the years I’ve heard numerous times from people on this website about how a certain movie is not political and i watch it only to discover it is loaded with so much political bullshit that I can’t even finish it.

It’s not even that I can’t handle different opinions than my own, it’s just that so prevalent and predictable now that it’s all so tiresome. I just want to be entertained and not preached at about how I’m a bad person.

View Quote

So watch the movie. You might be surprised.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

With all the Californians spreading to better states, and then still voting for broken policies, you could see a scenario where TX and CA are teamed up.
View Quote
Or lots of Americans hate the gov, this was their chance at a slot on Purge DC.

I think many characters portrayed hated the gov in general and enjoyed their new Anarchy and tax free world.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll probably wait till it hits Netflix or Prime from what I've been hearing about it.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep and that's with makeup.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He actually gets eaten by an alligator in the film. So you're wrong.
View Quote
Wasn't Al Gore the President?

It was pretty mean how they beheaded him over poor broadband access.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had tacos

Thread saved!

I once went into a sushi restaurant that was rumored to have the best happy hour sushi and sake deals. When I looked in the kitchen, there were 2 white dudes, a Mexican, and an Indian (dot, not feather) rolling the sushi. I guess that's how they kept the prices low. Tacos can still support local businesses. That's American!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#21]
From what I understand the war scenes although filmed well with great cinematography are pretty cringe.  Plus, if you're going in expecting a war movie be prepared to be underwhelmed, it's not Blackhawk Down.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
From what I understand the war scenes although filmed well with great cinematography are pretty cringe.  Plus, if you're going in expecting a war movie be prepared to be underwhelmed, it's not Blackhawk Down.

View Quote

Curious, cringe in what sense?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He posted "from what I understand", which I take to mean that he hasn't actually watched the film either, and is just relaying what someone else, who also may or may have not seen the film, told him.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He posted "from what I understand", which I take to mean that he hasn't actually watched the film either, and is just relaying what someone else, who also may or may have not seen the film, told him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am curious too as to what he has heard that was described as cringe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Apaches literally hovering 20 feet off the street in between buildings launching hellfires.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Apaches literally hovering 20 feet off the street in between buildings launching hellfires.
View Quote

It kind of reminds me of Rambo 2

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't find that realistic but it didn't really bother me either because I knew I wasn't watching a documentary on what an Apache  helicopter can and can't do.  Same with a lot of the other stuff in the film that I knew wasn't real.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I mean yeah it’s a movie. I dont really care about inaccuracies like this. Especially in movies like this.
I was just pointing it out. I actually liked the combat scenes more than the rest of the movie. I didn’t care for 75% of it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I didn't find that realistic but it didn't really bother me either because I knew I wasn't watching a documentary on what an Apache  helicopter can and can't do.  Same with a lot of the other stuff in the film that I knew wasn't real.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the trees that ruined the movie for me.

THOSE TREES DON'T GROW IN WV IMMERSION RUINED

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I know lot of it wasn’t real like the macflurry machine in the McDonald’s scene was working.

Oh well. I liked it
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how anybody could suspend their belief for an hour and 49 minutes with that kind of outlandish shit going on in the background.  

It's like watching Jurrasic Park and feeling the need to tell the world that it's not really Isla Nubar, it's actually filmed in Hawaii!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't know how anybody could suspend their belief for an hour and 49 minutes with that kind of outlandish shit going on in the background.  

It's like watching Jurrasic Park and feeling the need to tell the world that it's not really Isla Nubar, it's actually filmed in Hawaii!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know lot of it wasn’t real like the macflurry machine in the McDonald’s scene was working.

Oh well. I liked it
View Quote

Yeah, that's complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#34]
An observation.  I was in Haiti in 2004 when Aristide departed. The movie has an accurate depiction of shit falling apart.  Also, I'd like to what happens after the end of the movie.  Once revolutionaries win, the real killing starts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well. I liked it

Literally less believable than the Apache scene.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I’ve seen a trailer.

I don’t think Florida will be attacking Trump any time soon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you haven't seen it but decided "nothing about it makes sense"?

Alrighty then.

I’ve seen a trailer.

Looked more like a fat, washed up Gavin Newsom.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you haven't seen it but decided "nothing about it makes sense"?

Alrighty then.

I’ve seen a trailer.

If the director had just made the President an asian female then everybody wouldn't have had to expend so much emotional energy on arguing if it is or isn't Trump.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'll probably wait till it hits Netflix or Prime from what I've been hearing about it.
View Quote

Assigned seating is why I will wait to see it at home. I'm not going to be stuck someplace I don't want to sit in a theater.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I watched it and thought  it would of been better than it was.
View Quote

Would have.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Literally less believable than the Apache scene.
View Quote

Yeah that Apache seen was a whole lot of WTF
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
a bazillion threads and no one has mentioned the pot needles.
Much pot needles.  This is destroying the fabric of 'Murica.  Refrain from financially rewarding them!  
View Quote

Civil War pro tip. You might need Canadian moneys to buy pot needles.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Just based on the responses here, everyone is going to have their own take on this movie.  

I felt it was done with a MSM world view.  As everyone involved in making of this movie probably have this world view and lean left.

Mostly it was a little slow.  And I felt the ending was predictable.

My biggest disappointment was the popcorn had too much salt on it.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Did not like it at all.  False advertising.  Was a movie about journalists. Not civil war.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’m not saying it was a masterpiece, but it wasn’t as bad as a lot of posters are saying.

Some of them are saying it was bad because that’s the “cool” thing to say.

It really was made in a way that you could put a name on either side. Who’s good, and who’s bad.

I don’t care what the Director’s personal opinions are. He did a good job of keeping them out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Did not like it at all.  False advertising.  Was a movie about journalists. Not civil war.
View Quote

Seems harsh, but OK.  I'm not sure what "advertising" you're referring to.  They were photojournalists in a civil war, taking photos, interviewing and interacting with participants, trying to survive.  That's what photojournalists do.  They didn't interact with anyone at Reuters, they were on their own, being part of "old school big media" was incidental.

Wartime photojournalists take bigger risks than 97.5% of GD.  There.  I said it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top