Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 159
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CSW223:
Those look like broken guns...the children are sitting with...any information on that pic...had the allies gone through?

ETA looks like the STG 44’s are missing their shoulder stocks
View Quote
Sadly no further informations.

I think these kids were collecting scrap metal to sell. This was very common in the first years after the war.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
I think these kids were collecting scrap metal to sell. This was very common in the first years after the war.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
Originally Posted By CSW223:
Those look like broken guns...the children are sitting with...any information on that pic...had the allies gone through?
ETA looks like the STG 44's are missing their shoulder stocks
and he is wearing her hand-me-down coat and shoes
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By somedude:
mas 38 submachine gun,
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/mas38-02.jpg
View Quote
Forgotten weapons tried to do a test with the Mas 38 with reloaded ammunition.  It was not a success.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
A past roommate of mine in college, his father grew up in Czechoslovakia during the war.  When the Americans were sweeping through the Germans abandoned a lot of equipment in their retreat.  His dad found an abandoned recoilless cannon sitting in a field.  He was about twelve at the time.  So out of curiosity, he pulled the lanyard.  The darned thing went off with a big boom.  He and all his friends ran off screaming in terror.  Luckily no one was injured so the story goes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:28:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#6]
Men of 11th Airborne Division assemble at a pre-destined point shortly after their parachute landing at Appari Airstrip in Northern Luzon, Philippine

A Grumman TBF-1 Avenger flies over fields bombed by U.S.

Puerto Galera - On the island of Mindoro, about five hours from Manila by bus and boat

popup shore battery. gun would raise above wall to fire and recoil would send it back down

West Coast Artillery Post - 10-inch Gun Firing

Fifth Army, Anzio Area, Italy. 101st Ordnance Co. M. M. placing the tube

loading a stug III from a converted ammo hauler
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Meadowmuffin:

A past roommate of mine in college, his father grew up in Czechoslovakia during the war.  When the Americans were sweeping through the Germans abandoned a lot of equipment in their retreat.  His dad found an abandoned recoilless cannon sitting in a field.  He was about twelve at the time.  So out of curiosity, he pulled the lanyard.  The darned thing went off with a big boom.  He and all his friends ran off screaming in terror.  Luckily no one was injured so the story goes.
View Quote
He's lucky.  The Germans were also known to booby trap weapons and equipment that they left behind.  My Grandpa brought back a K98 from France and he said that before he picked it up off the side of the road, he checked it for wires that might be a trap.  I guess some guys he served with had been injured by some booby trapped weapons that were just laying along the road, but exploded or were on top of a grenade or mine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Actress Marjorie Main is hoisted by soldiers of the 96th “Deadeye” Division during welcome home celebration in Los Angeles.
View Quote
I wonder if my father is in that picture somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
We had 4 16" battleship guns defending the entrance to the Golden Gate.  Two were in one battery in Marin County and two were in San Francisco City/County.

Here they are, postwar cutting up of the coastal guns

Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone has to police the brass.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:19:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#13]

improvised helmet snow camo. not far off since they sometimes used bedsheets, tarps and curtains or parachutes wrapped around vehicles when they did not have white paint.

Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#14]

improvised helmet snow camo. not far off since they sometimes used bedsheets, tarps and curtains or parachutes wrapped around vehicles when they did not have white paint.
http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/757935-2/da6a419c655762dbdadd3cdd8a459799
View Quote
Also works well when duck or goose hunting in a snow covered field.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:38:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#15]
Lead ship of her class, the USS Essex:

Launching of US Wintle, DE25.  One thing about DE is that they could turn tighter than a destroyer, making them extremely useful against submarines.

Nazi magazine, Der Adler (the eagle):

RN Admiral Tovey aboard the King George class battleship, King George V (10 x 14" guns):

Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I still can not believe they just cut the Enterprise up for scrap after WWII...  
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Commurado:
Brave men right there.  The best of all time actually.
View Quote
I think know the American Revolutionary War takes the cake and pie.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Blohm & Voss BV 141 reconnaissance aircraft.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
https://i.redd.it/qpm9z1qjssd01.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful execution of a flawed design.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
Originally Posted By Gopher:
https://i.redd.it/qpm9z1qjssd01.jpg
great pic - shows relative positions of wing and  landing gear to fuselage and control pod
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Vinegar Joe Stillwell:

Sharkmouth just isn't right here:

Coolie and bomber:

I think these are Chennault's bomber boys (ground crew and aircrew)
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#22]

A damaged U.S. Navy Douglas SBD-2 Dauntless of bombing squadron VB-6 on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CV-6), 1 February 1942. Withdrawing after launching an attack against Kwajalein, Enterprise was attacked by five Japanese Mitsubishi G4M "Betty" land-based bombers. Manning the flexible rear machine gun on an SBD-2 of bombing squadron VB-6, AMM Bruno Gaido attempted to help fight off the attackers. The wing of one of the disabled bombers severed the tail of Gaido's Dauntless, spreading burning gasoline across the deck before crashing into the ocean. For his heroism, Gaido was promoted and assigned duty as an aircrewman. Gaido was shot down with his pilot Ensign Frank W. O'Flaherty on 4 June 1942 and later picked up by the Japanese destroyer Makigumo. Circa 8-9 June both were murdered as they were tied to water-filled gasoline drums and dumped overboard.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/SBD_with_severed_tail_on_USS_Enterprise_%28CV-6%29_1942.jpg

A damaged U.S. Navy Douglas SBD-2 Dauntless of bombing squadron VB-6 on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CV-6), 1 February 1942. Withdrawing after launching an attack against Kwajalein, Enterprise was attacked by five Japanese Mitsubishi G4M "Betty" land-based bombers. Manning the flexible rear machine gun on an SBD-2 of bombing squadron VB-6, AMM Bruno Gaido attempted to help fight off the attackers. The wing of one of the disabled bombers severed the tail of Gaido's Dauntless, spreading burning gasoline across the deck before crashing into the ocean. For his heroism, Gaido was promoted and assigned duty as an aircrewman. Gaido was shot down with his pilot Ensign Frank W. O'Flaherty on 4 June 1942 and later picked up by the Japanese destroyer Makigumo. Circa 8-9 June both were murdered as they were tied to water-filled gasoline drums and dumped overboard.
View Quote
Bastards, the japs deserved more A-bombs than they got.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 4:45:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Land Wasser Schlepper
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:01:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bodybagger] [#25]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
View Quote
Yep, why Eisenhower wanted to let them save face baffles me. They should be a territory of the US to this day and never have their national sovereignty returned to them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Prinz Eugen in heavy sea. These poor guys manning the Flakvierling.

Link Posted: 2/7/2018 2:30:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:00:48 AM EDT
[#28]
wasn't the FT sharkmouth copied from Brit fighters?  and that the brits copied it from the Germans? seems I read that somewhere

here's some German sharkmouths

This plane is not German - it's Swiss
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 4:08:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#31]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
Yep, why Eisenhower MacArthur wanted to let them save face baffles me. They should be a territory of the US to this day and never have their national sovereignty returned to them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
Yep, why Eisenhower MacArthur wanted to let them save face baffles me. They should be a territory of the US to this day and never have their national sovereignty returned to them.
He was thinking of using them for the NEXT war...

Against the Communist Russians...

The Japanese will always have the stain upon their nation of their "Bushido" behavior in WWII...

The Koreans and Chinese still hold grudges against the Japanese for their treatment...

The way the Japanese treated Prisoners (Allied and Civilian) is fully as terrible as the Nazis and in some cases worse...
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:34:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Javak] [#32]
View Quote
It's not as if the krauts and wops were better at treating captured enemies, or civilians for that matter.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

He was thinking of using them for the NEXT war...

Against the Communist Russians...

The Japanese will always have the stain upon their nation of their "Bushido" behavior in WWII...

The Koreans and Chinese still hold grudges against the Japanese for their treatment...

The way the Japanese treated Prisoners (Allied and Civilian) is fully as terrible as the Nazis and in some cases worse...
View Quote
I misnamed MacArthur, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:07:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Manic_Moran] [#34]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
We had 4 16" battleship guns defending the entrance to the Golden Gate.  Two were in one battery in Marin County and two were in San Francisco City/County.
View Quote
My video on the subject may be of interest to you.

Naval Fortress: San Francisco Artillery Corps

Hmm. Link, just in case embed doesn’t work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--weWY58mR8
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Joseph Enright, the skipper of the Archerfish who sank the Shinano.

In his book, the Navy wanted to credit Enright with a much less tonnage.  They didn't believe him when he claimed its size and thought he was exaggerating.
View Quote
Apparently the thought process he had was “I have absolutely not idea what the heck that is, but i’m pretty sure it’s not ours, so let’s sink it.”

For amusement value.

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm going blind.

Nationalist Chinese soldiers.  After being removed as commander of the 100k strong Reichwehr, Hans von Seeckt went and trained the Chinese Army.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chinaww2.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F11%2Fhelme-1024x692.jpg&f=1
View Quote
I understand.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Lots of Germans trained other countries armies in the 20s.
Ernst Rohm trained the Bolivian army.
His collar insignia as head of the Sturm Abteilung are basically the same as Bolivian general officer's.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Manic_Moran:

Apparently the thought process he had was "I have absolutely not idea what the heck that is, but i'm pretty sure it's not ours, so let's sink it."

For amusement value.

https://images04.military.com/sites/default/files/styles/full/public/undertheradar-thumbnails/2017/02/SMLPO-funny-navy-memes-DD-214.jpg?itok=_RoEepjx
View Quote
Ha
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Javak:

It's not as if the krauts and wops were better at treating captured enemies, or civilians for that matter.
View Quote
Allied POWs had a death rate of 20 percent or more under the Japanese (75 percent for some Indian units), while the POW death rate under the Germans and Italians was below 2 percent.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:24:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#40]

Apparently the thought process he had was “I have absolutely not idea what the heck that is, but i’m pretty sure it’s not ours, so let’s sink it.”

For amusement value.

https://images04.military.com/sites/default/files/styles/full/public/undertheradar-thumbnails/2017/02/SMLPO-funny-navy-memes-DD-214.jpg?itok=_RoEepjx
View Quote
Great image of an early 4 piper destroyer.

Shark mouths on German aircraft may be traced back to WW I:

Here's the funniest sharkmouth I found:

And here's the Royal Navy:

A more modern application:

I think this is even more modern and it may be the 23rd Fighter Wing (original Flying Tigers after it took over from the AVG)

Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:52:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#41]

My video on the subject may be of interest to you.

Hmm. Link, just in case embed doesn’t work.

View Quote
Enjoyed the video.  You said it was closed permanently in 1984.  I remember wandering around it from '76 onward when I lived in San Francisco.  The entire Marin Headlands had been turned over from the DoD to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.  The old rifle range was nearby but unused.   There's also a Nike missile site that is open to the public there.  I hope you saw that.  The other 16" twin gun site on the SF side is also open to the public (but probably doesn't have any displays) and if you walk along the beach below, you will see a concrete ring laying on the sand.  Erosion over many decades caused a small gun emplacement to tumble down the hill.

I also met John Martini (ret. Park Ranger) who wrote the book, Fortress Alcatraz.  Alcatraz as you may know was a fort for most of its existence.  If an enemy ship bypassed Fort Point, the batteries at Fort Mason, Fort Alcatraz and Angel Island were supposed to destroy it with its triangle of fire.  Back in the late 1800s, the Army wanted to exhibit its awesome effectiveness and so tied up a barge loaded with explosives in the bay.  The three forts commenced firing.  They missed.  Undaunted, a lt. rowed out, lit the fuse and rowed back.  The barge blew.  The public got their fireworks.

I tell people if they want to see what Fort Sumter looked like, to visit Fort Point at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge.  Both Sumter and Point were built before the advent of rifled artillery.  We didn't know until the Civil War how devastating rifled artillery was to masonry forts.  After Battery Wagner (Morris Island, South Carolina and near Fort Sumter), the Army learned that having soft sand in front was superior to masonry because all you had to do to restore it was to shovel the sand back in place like the Confederates at Wagner did.

Alcatraz still has its gun emplacements, but it's on part of the island that the NPS discourages visitors from because of the birds' nests.

ETA:  The coastal defense battery had a unique mascot:  Judy, a mountain lion.  It jumped up to lick the Inspector General who told the battery, "Get rid of that animal!"
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Tube used as a bomb shelter:

Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#44]

Hurtgen forest

mounted coast guard beach patrol.

6th war dog platoon
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

Allied POWs had a death rate of 20 percent or more under the Japanese (75 percent for some Indian units), while the POW death rate under the Germans and Italians was below 2 percent.
View Quote
Maybe for Brits and Americans.  But move over to the  eastern front and see about 3.5 million soviet prisoners died in German custody. That's a death rate of about 55-60%.

And the rate at which Germans died in soviet captivity isn't much better.

That 20 percent death rate under Japanese is actually between 27 and 30 percent... for Americans, Brits and other europeans who were actually taken into custody.  Japanese Navy was ordered to execute all prisoners taken at sea in March 1943.  Those numbers aren't kept, we just get some anecdotal evidence.

For asian prisoners of Japan, it's impossible to tell.  IIRC only about 50 Chinese POWs were released by Japan at the end of the war.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:09:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami_JBT] [#46]
Cuban Navy during WWII

They conducted anti sub patrols and sunk U-176. It wasn't confirmed until after the war that the Cuban Navy bagged a U-Boat with a check of German Naval Records.

CS-13 was the ship that sunk the Krauts.

CS-13 under construction when she was USCG SC-35.

Her Captain, Alferez de Fragata Mario Ramrez Delgado, Comandante del CS-13.

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:52:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Troops of 11th East African Division on the road to Kalewa, Burma, during the Chindwin River crossing.

Soldiers of the British King's African Rifles on the Burmese front pose with a captured Japanese flag during WWII.

A British King's African Rifles unit during WWII, equipped with the Mk.II Tommy helmet and SMLE No.4 No I rifles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#48]
I made a similar thread for World War One pics...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/5-2079675/?page=1

USS Lexington CV-16

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Soviets "liberate" Manchukuo/Manchuria from the Japanese.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Russian Lavochkin La-7. Looks like an FW-190 and a P-47 had a love child.
Page / 159
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top