Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 159
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By E-95:

I think I have Armored Attack somewhere.  I'll take a look to see if I can pick up what I'm missing.
View Quote
If you shop Amazon they have them on there
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Dog1:

If you shop Amazon they have them on there
View Quote
Is there anyone that doesn't shop Amazon?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If you look closely at the guy at the front of the plane, just before they slide off he tosses a large bottle of vodka rearward. First man to the ground gets it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't recall why but I'd pulled that book off the shelf and it's sitting on our coffee table.  I'll take a look in it tonight when I get home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Was it Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck?

Some of the pics in that book I referenced, had spare tracks for extra armor. Most notably on the Eastern Front they used T-34 tracks. Mostly though, the Germans did not add extra armor.

Now the Americans used all sort of field expedient armor. From cutting up Shermans and Panzers hulls, to sand bags, logs and even used rebar welded to hulls then poured concrete.

Some worked, some did not.

Patton hated that. He would stop and berate tank crews if he saw that, even eventually outlawed it.
I don't recall why but I'd pulled that book off the shelf and it's sitting on our coffee table.  I'll take a look in it tonight when I get home.
I have that book as well. I don't think it was in there. It would be a bear for me to find which book as I have over 300 books on military history.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

I have that book as well. I don't think it was in there. It would be a bear for me to find which book as I have over 300 books on military history.
View Quote
Same here I get something stuck in my head and then I go to find it and it takes me weeks because I have no idea which book it is in
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Is there anyone that doesn't shop Amazon?  
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay guys, I need a hand here.  What purpose would the crews have for wood logs and fence posts strung together and hung on the turret sides and upper glacis.  The most plausible theory I've heard is field expedient traction assistance for slogging through the mud, but no one I've talked to knows for sure.  The only photos I've seen with this seem to all be identified as tracks around Anzio after Operation Shingle.  And I know from field reports they got a shit ton of rain in mid February.

Any other ideas or definitive answers?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7684/17029727129_863e6c573d_b.jpg

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/wp-content/gallery/germany/tanks/panther-tank/Panzer_V_Panther_Italy_3.jpg

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/wp-content/gallery/germany/tanks/panther-tank/Panther_tank_number_114_with_zimmerit_Italy.jpg
View Quote
Another possible explanation is that they would detonate shape charge or HE rounds before they reach the armor, thus diffusing the explosion.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Javak:

Another possible explanation is that they would detonate shape charge or HE rounds before they reach the armor, thus diffusing the explosion.
View Quote
I thought about field expedient Schürzen but you would think they'd make an effort to not have such large gaps in their up-armor job.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought about field expedient Schürzen but you would think they'd make an effort to not have such large gaps in their up-armor job.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Javak:

Yeah I just don't see that being the case here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]
You know that could be something for sticking foliage on the tank for camouflage. Remember in the summer of 44 the US Army Air Force was free-ranging all over France, and German panzers could barely move in the daylight and when they did they heavily camouflaged their vehicles of all types
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 4:29:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: E-95] [#11]
You know that could be something for sticking foliage on the tank for camouflage. Remember in the summer of 44 the US Army Air Force was free-ranging all over France, and German panzers could barely move in the daylight and when they did they heavily camouflaged their vehicles of all types
View Quote
Tom Cockle from Osprey Publishing confirmed they were used for additional traction on soft or muddy terrain.  Someone on another forum also posed the following photo of a Tiger Ausf. B in Lviv, Ukraine during July 1944 with a similar device strapped to the turret side:

Link Posted: 1/4/2019 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#12]
The Tiger Ausf. B is a Panther Ausf. A
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
The Tiger Ausf. B is a Panther Ausf. A
View Quote
You are right sir.  I guess I was too focused on the turret and didn't look at the Schürzen, road wheels, and driver's port.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Just saw this while leafing through the Steven Zaloga book Armored Thunderbolt

Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By somedude:
If used for training the grenade up there might be because many tank commanders fought with a open hatch. So maybe chance to wound kill or just deafen the Tc is my guess.

Also early in the war many Soviet tanks did not have a radio just the company command tank I think it was and they used flags and hand signals to communicate.

If attacked from the rear they could not communicate it to the column much at all.
View Quote
Those that grenade (and the other one, that is harder to see) are moving...and the porcelain ball to initiate the fuze has been pulled, and it's hanging out the bottom (horizontally).  There is another grenade in the air between the camera and the mantlet.  It's facing the camera, and it's also in motion.  The shadow (or part of it) can be seen on the fender.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/201300/cosa-602473.JPG

2nd Lt. Alton Frazer made it back to base in this bird.

View Quote
The first words out of his mouth when he got out of the airplane and looked at it were "I'm not signed for it."
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By piccolo:
The first words out of his mouth when he got out of the airplane and looked at it were "I'm not signed for it."
View All Quotes

According to the Marine Corps Aviation association's Facebook page that airplane in that picture was involved in a collision with another aircraft when they were landing.

https://m.facebook.com/MarineCorpsAviationAssociation/photos/a.230671293609632/1273514559325295/?type=3
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Tom Cockle from Osprey Publishing confirmed they were used for additional traction on soft or muddy terrain.  Someone on another forum also posed the following photo of a Tiger Ausf. B in Lviv, Ukraine during July 1944 with a similar device strapped to the turret side:

https://arsenal-info.ru/img/3770508587/pic_108.jpg
View All Quotes

https://arsenal-info.ru/img/3770508587/pic_108.jpg
In the American Civil War, they would corduroy muddy roads or swamp tracks to facilitate the passage of troops or supply wagons. Same principle with these mats and logs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Since I'm reading about the Navajo Code Talkers:

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F160907143620-navajo-code-talkers-3-exlarge-169.jpg&f=1
http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/140604181221-01-chester-nez-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

We also had Commanche Code Talkers who served in Europe.  Code Talking goes back to WW I when Lakota and other tribes were used.
View Quote
FWIW a Navajo ham radio operator did a special event thing on the Code Talkers a while ago. I made a contact, sent for a QSL card and I got a certificate autographed by a couple of the remaining Code Talkers and several children of code talkers.

It's easy to know which signatures are of the actuals as it is a shaky 90+ year old man's signature.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes

He was fine.  When I was a Marine, we were told that we could survey (turn in) a damaged item, but we had better not lose it.

The hard part was for the Marine who lost an item to convince a buddy to split his item in half and then the two of them survey both halves as two damaged items.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#22]
That's neat Piccolo.  In my library are many autographed books and some are out-of-print which only enhances their value.  I buy plastic dustjacket covers for my books and this protects the dustjacket from harm arising from handling.  A good dustjacket enhances the value of the book.

There are Navajo codetalkers in NM and AZ, but I'm too lazy to go there and look them up.   They may be unhappy about an outsider trying to enter into their world too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 6:59:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#23]
British Pacific Fleet carrier

USS Savannah hit by a german guided bomb sep 1943 off Salerno

chow in Italy

chow in the pacific

Kokoda Track Aussies

Link Posted: 1/5/2019 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#24]
That is a low mileage B-24.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]
possibly, the caption did not mention it. but they probably had more than one cameraman so they probably knew they were being filmed.    every side staged photos as well
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]
possibly, the caption did not mention it. but they probably had more than one cameraman so they probably knew they were being filmed.    every side staged photos as well
View Quote
Oh yeah no doubt, but caught a pretty cool moment for that crew.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Don’t know anything about this pic but it was taken during the war I’m pretty sure.

Possibly testing the Dragon Wagon?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By EMSflyer:
Don’t know anything about this pic but it was taken during the war I’m pretty sure.

Possibly testing the Dragon Wagon?https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46283/67635069-9DD1-4511-912B-4037D082AE83_jpeg-798289.JPG
View Quote
could be, or post war filming or scrappers. since a lot was sold off.

here is one towing a landing craft.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:41:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt_sporter] [#30]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#31]

8AF, 44BG, 67BS
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:28:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThornBooger] [#32]
View Quote
My great uncle was on the Savannah when this happened. He was an awesome guy but definitely haunted by his experiences during the war.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#33]

could be, or post war filming or scrappers. since a lot was sold off.

here is one towing a landing craft.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ac/74/9b/ac749b02a1b438a3fce3e8743e9de214.jpg
View Quote
My grandfather crossed the Rhine River in a landing craft. After all the bridges were blown in their area they brought up landing craft to cross the Rhine
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 13starsinax:

What is the deal with the focke wulfs next to the hanger-?
View Quote
Is that a hangar or a bombed out factory?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:

What is the deal with the focke wulfs next to the hanger-?
Oschersleben FW190 factory US Army Quartermaster troops inspecting found FockeWulf fighter planes ...
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#37]
There were 2 Curtiss Wright factories in Buffalo. One in North Buffalo, still standing, and one at the current site of a Buffalo Airport parking lot.  The planes were built Nor Buffalo, then trailered as pictured to the arpt factory for final assembly.  My dad / uncles? said they later assembled them for flight in NorBuf,  taxied out of the factory and flew out of the parking lot to the airport factory for final whatever. Sped things up considerably.  Hopefully they had some Buffalo Arms Corporation .50 cals in the wings. BACo made .30 and .50 cal Browning's in various configurations at 2 locations just outside of Buffalo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Oschersleben FW190 factory US Army Quartermaster troops inspecting found FockeWulf fighter planes ...
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks.
View All Quotes

Thanks.
👍
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Burned out Panther and Jagpanther factory in Hanover.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#42]
my online collection of original recon jeep pics mostly ww2 with extras.

Enjoy.  I did a ton researching online through the archives and saved most pics I found relating to ww2 jeeps with guns mounted or unusual field modifications.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#43]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9749/Screenshot_20190112-171919_Chrome-805566.jpg

Burned out Panther and Jagpanther factory in Hanover.
View Quote
Maschinenfabrik Niedersachsen Hannover - MNH
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 83rdrecon:
my online collection of original recon jeep pics mostly ww2 with extras.

Enjoy.  I did a ton researching online through the archives and saved most pics I found relating to ww2 jeeps with guns mounted or unusual field modifications.
View Quote
Cool, thanks.

2nd pic I wondered “what weapon is that?”  Third pic showed it was twin mounted bazookas.  That’s a new one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#45]
New Mexico loading AMMO think its 1942, i misplaced the long caption.
Attachment Attached File

Sailors in the Royal Navy

HMS King George V men training while underway.

not sure what is going on here, officer training?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#46]
not sure what is going on here, officer training?
https://media.iwm.org.uk/ciim5/30/786/large_000000.jpg
View Quote
Isn't that last one an officer's club?  They had a similar one on an episode of Hogan's Heros.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

Isn't that last one an officer's club?  They had a similar one on an episode of Hogan's Heros.
View Quote
no idea, if I saw that episode I do not remember.  image search did not seem to help.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACDer] [#48]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

View Quote
Google says..Royal Navy officers 'aboard' 'HMS SPURIOUS MARK II' - a bus converted to resemble the island of an aircraft carrier. The bus is being driven along a runway or taxi way at Royal Naval Air Station East Haven at Carnoustie, Scotland.

Used to train deck landing officers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Best Thread on Site
Have enjoyed every page, thanks.

But am biased...
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#50]

7th AF Liberator under phosphorus attack over Truk. Japanese Zeroes dropped air-burst phosphorus bombs above the formation before making strafing passes.
Page / 159
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top