Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 159
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:01:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACDer:

Google says..Royal Navy officers 'aboard' 'HMS SPURIOUS MARK II' - a bus converted to resemble the island of an aircraft carrier. The bus is being driven along a runway or taxi way at Royal Naval Air Station East Haven at Carnoustie, Scotland.

Used to train deck landing officers.
View Quote
thanks, I was thinking it was a trainer of some type.

An Italian-American soldier reunited with his cousins in Palermo. Photo: Nick Parrino, National Museum of the US Navy

Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, US 101st Airborne Division

Soldiers of the 7th Armored Division stand atop a camouflaged M4 Sherman medium tank and scan

Soldiers of the 116th Panzer division in an armored personnel carrier Sd.Kfz.250 / 5 during the Ardennes offensive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#2]
From a known collection in Ukraine. I know this first one is Walter Nowotny
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Nowotny.
Amazing pilot. Floated at sea at one point for three days, and got back up in a plane. I think he killed in bf-109,fw-190,me-262.
Attachment Attached File

I took a chance on the second picture as it is a Focke Wulf , and from same collection. They are all British roundels, any guesses as to whose tail that is?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 13starsinax:
From a known collection in Ukraine. I know this first one is Walter Nowotny
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Nowotny.
Amazing pilot. Floated at sea at one point for three days, and got back up in a plane. I think he killed in bf-109,fw-190,me-262.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/303716/IMG_1477_jpg-818692.JPG

I took a chance on the second picture as it is a Focke Wulf , and from same collection. They are all British roundels, any guesses as to whose tail that is?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/303716/IMG_1479_jpg-818693.JPG
View Quote
Erich Rudorffer?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:19:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 13starsinax] [#4]
Originally Posted By Dog1:

Erich Rudorffer?
View Quote
I could see that, the collector was into jg-54. With it possibly being correct, due to him fighting in all of the theaters.

edit: How many of his kills were British?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:23:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#5]
I could see that, the collector was into jg-54. With it possibly being correct, due to him fighting in all of the theaters.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Erich Rudorffer?

If his kill records are to be believed and it seems that depend on what you read there might be a little bit of skepticism, according to his record 36- 45 British aircraft were shot down by him.

Edit to add hyphen that's based on different sources that I've read, so that number could either be less than 36 or greater than 45.

Although there's more than forty-five roundels on that tail
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]

If his kill records are to be believed and it seems that depend on what you read there might be a little bit of skepticism, according to his record 36- 45 British aircraft were shot down by him.

Edit to add hyphen that's based on different sources that I've read, so that number could either be less than 36 or greater than 45.

Although there's more than forty-five roundels on that tail
View Quote
Thank you, I am going to do some more reading.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
edit: your edit: Ok, well that takes him out of it then.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes

Of course I never thought of this - he could actually have shot down free Polish Air Force pilots flying Spitfires. They would have British roundels on the wings even though they were flown by the Poles.

Not to mention everybody else who fled their countries when the Germans invaded and made their way to England to fight. So if they're counting the aircraft as British then the score would add up with the tail but if you're talking about Pilots nationalities I don't know
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes

65 roundels on the tail there. Should narrow it down some if it is a JG54 bird.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Of course I never thought of this - he could actually have shot down free Polish Air Force pilots flying Spitfires. They would have British roundels on the wings even though they were flown by the Poles.

Not to mention everybody else who fled their countries when the Germans invaded and made their way to England to fight. So if they're counting the aircraft as British then the score would add up with the tail but if you're talking about Pilots nationalities I don't know
View Quote
Again, thanks.

I am assuming that is how they scored their kills. I think you correct, but that photo does not have a tail number. So it makes it harder to figure. I know a lot of these photos are series of a stream. I have seen photos as if you were standing there you would have felt like the paparazi was filming. Propaganda shoots kind of all follow the same theme with the ace pilots.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

65 roundels on the tail there. Should narrow it down some if it is a JG54 bird.
View Quote
Well if the pilot was on his way to 222 for instance, unless he is standing there or a tail number, it is really hard to narrow down. Unless you had the entire propaganda shoot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Field expedient modification.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1670/6-50_jpg-818840.JPG
View Quote
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#14]

Again, thanks.

I am assuming that is how they scored their kills. I think you correct, but that photo does not have a tail number. So it makes it harder to figure. I know a lot of these photos are series of a stream. I have seen photos as if you were standing there you would have felt like the paparazi was filming. Propaganda shoots kind of all follow the same theme with the ace pilots.
View Quote
no idea how the kill markings work.   I think some of JG-26 flew all those aircraft as well.

could they have gotten some of them fighting over France as well. the Raf was there for a little bit.  do they count knocked out on the ground as kills to?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By somedude:

no idea how the kill markings work.   I think some of JG-26 flew all those aircraft as well.

could they have gotten some of them fighting over France as well. the Raf was there for a little bit.  do they count knocked out on the ground as kills to?
View Quote
Well the pilot in question flew in every theater, he had kills in all of them and in all principal German "fighter" aircraft. I think ground kills were on each report as well, but I have only seen a few with them clearly marked on the tail. Stuka's obviously had them prominently marked.

I am learning too, and it is a cool subject.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:29:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalahnikid] [#16]

View Quote
I remember reading in a book about them how much they frustrated the RAF command because not only did they not speak English on the radio, they hated the Germans so much they would take enormous risk even to the detriment of the mission to kill Germans. Cant blame them though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:
I remember reading in a book about them how much they frustrated the RAF command because not only did they dont speak English on the radio, they hated the Germans so much they would take enormous risk even to the detriment of the mission to kill Germans. Cant blame them though.
View All Quotes

I remember reading in a book about them how much they frustrated the RAF command because not only did they dont speak English on the radio, they hated the Germans so much they would take enormous risk even to the detriment of the mission to kill Germans. Cant blame them though.
Yup..it was portrayed in the movie Battle of Britain...the Poles were tenacious
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
Never seen a picture of that or a similar mod on a B-17.

That had to be stupid heavy and have a complex feed system.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

View All Quotes

It also appears to be fixed and not moveable like a normal chin turret. I wonder if that was a pacific modification for shipping.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:53:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 13starsinax] [#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Well the pilot in question flew in every theater, he had kills in all of them and in all principal German "fighter" aircraft. I think ground kills were on each report as well, but I have only seen a few with them clearly marked on the tail. Stuka's obviously had them prominently marked.

View All Quotes

Ground kills were not counted on fighters. As far as I know they counted them for ground attack aircraft but not air superiority fighters.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#22]
What was the name of that project? They tried basically doubling up on guns on some experimental 17s and 24s but it didn't work out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Ground kills were not counted on fighters. As far as I know they counted them for ground attack aircraft but not air superiority fighters.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

I am trying to find the photos I have seen before, but it had clearly marked ground kills and Ships.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#24]

What was the name of that project? They tried basically doubling up on guns on some experimental 17s and 24s but it didn't work out.
View Quote
For the B-17 it was the YB-40.  Chin turret, two top turrets, two belly turrets, offset waist gunners. They didn't upgrade the engines so they were slower than the group they were supporting. Chin turret and offset waist gunners were about the only improvements that came from it from the B-17F to G models.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:24:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#25]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/303716/b59025e9cd7c51b95fdc5de519e3aa4c_jpg-819370.JPG

I am trying to find the photos I have seen before, but it had clearly marked ground kills and Ships.
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/303716/b59025e9cd7c51b95fdc5de519e3aa4c_jpg-819370.JPG

The Luftwaffe high command didn't count them, but it doesn't mean individual pilots didn't. The rudder markings were more for the point system for medals than an individual "kill" tally. This is not a universal method of score keeping is what I am driving at.

For example, Wilhelm Balthasar marked his ground kills on his tail/rudder, but they did not count towards his total victory tally.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:35:48 AM EDT
[#26]

The Luftwaffe high command didn't count them, but it doesn't mean individual pilots didn't. The rudder markings were more for the point system for medals than an individual "kill" tally. This is not a universal method of score keeping is what I am driving at.

For example, Wilhelm Balthasar marked his ground kills on his tail/rudder, but they did not count towards his total victory tally.
View Quote
OK, I am following now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2019 6:07:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I know some tactics were to attack the bombers head on, trying to break up the formations and possibly kill the pilots. thinking this was a response to that. I know B-25 ,B-26 and A-26 would sometimes strafe ground targets and ships but don't recall anyone trying it with a larger bomber.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:49:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#29]

Link Posted: 1/24/2019 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#30]
For the B-17 it was the YB-40.  Chin turret, two top turrets, two belly turrets, offset waist gunners. They didn't upgrade the engines so they were slower than the group they were supporting. Chin turret and offset waist gunners were about the only improvements that came from it from the B-17F to G models.
View All Quotes

Single belly turret, though some guns were mounted firing down/rear between belly and tail.

Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#31]
PBY
Attachment Attached File

My Dad, waist gunner on a PBY, VPB 117
( and thanks to Arfcom members for cleaning up pic)

Attachment Attached File

Their scoreboard.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:36:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#32]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
This B-17G was fitted with an experimental chin turret armed with 6 fixed .50 cal. machine guns, designed by Armaments Officer Mike Mazer. The firing of the guns was controlled by the Pilot. Aircraft 42-31435 successfully completed many operational sorties with the new nose gun installation but, while conclusively proving the mechanical practicability of the design, a temporary cessation of head-on attacks by enemy attacks prevented the proof of its effectiveness. The ship crashed returning from a bombing mission on July 6, 1944.
http://photos.384thbombgroup.com/index.php?/category/G42-31435
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Single belly turret, though some guns were mounted firing down/rear between belly and tail.

http://dmn.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/YB-40-2.jpg
View Quote
What's going on at about 2:30 in this video? Seems like this bird got shot down every week on 12'O Clock High.
[youtube]JVxtJULJ0KA?t=151[/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#35]
What's going on at about 2:30 in this video? Seems like this bird got shot down every week on 12'O Clock High.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxtJULJ0KA?t=151
View All Quotes

Not sure what you are asking?
It is a view from below showing the belly and chin turrets.
We're you thinking the forward pair was another ball turret?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Not sure what you are asking?
It is a view from below showing the belly and chin turrets.
We're you thinking the forward pair was another ball turret?
View Quote
It had never occurred to me that the second set of guns was the chin turrets pointed down and to the right. Makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

IIRC this B-17 was brought down by a BF110G-2
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxoSmaeXQAEkS2b.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxoSn2BXgAEDpO5.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxoSo2eWoAEw999.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxoSqHQX0AIxnOp.jpg

View Quote
For a long time I wondered if this clip was from a similar bomb strike, but sounds like it was actually a direct flack hit in the wing  Watching the slow motion it had to be terrifying enough for the crew that they were hit, but then the spinning prop starts to slice into the fuselage.

[youtube]lioRCye2Dug?t=51s[/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]
we posted some pics of this battle but not sure if this video was shown. it details the larger part of the battle as well.

Battle of Cologne 1945 - A young woman between the frontlines - The source
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Great pics! Anything else you can share about his experience?
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:

For a long time I wondered if this clip was from a similar bomb strike, but sounds like it was actually a direct flack hit in the wing  Watching the slow motion it had to be terrifying enough for the crew that they were hit, but then the spinning prop starts to slice into the fuselage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioRCye2Dug?t=51s
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 1:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stryfe] [#42]
PB4Y

PBY is the Catalina. PB4Y is the liberator naval variant.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Judas Goat.  B17E 41-9100 379 Bomb Group, 525 th Bomb Group, 7-24-44 painted as a formation leader for large group raids.

Link Posted: 2/4/2019 7:41:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dave15] [#44]

Great pics! Anything else you can share about his experience?
View Quote
LOL, had his 93rd BDay party yesterday.
Cigars and beer, same every day for the last 80 years.

He enlisted Jan of 43, on his 17th BDay.
Wound up AMM3, in VPB 117, Pacific theater.

Believe their tonnage records still stand.
As he says, "We blew the shit outta stuff!"

After the war ended, he spent months scuttling new US equipment. Uncrate, burn crates, load stuff, run it out and sink in ocean. Repeat. For months.

Here he is on bike. Took a bad spill.racing on beach.
Afcommer thought the crates were wing tanks.
Mountains of them.

Attachment Attached File

On the right.

Attachment Attached File

Lot of stories.
Getting caught stealing pies from the Officers Mess.
" Borrowing " a motorcycle at Camp Kearney, CA, before heading over.

I tracked down his pilot about 10 years ago, they hadn't spoken since 1946. My Dad got a call and they spent hours catching up. Last one of his crew now.

Still has a lot of metal in his left eye, his "good one" that has really been troubling him lately.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Holy shit I would be pissed if I was on that crew...talk about a fighter magnet
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DOW:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DOW:
Polka Dot Warriors
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Captured Zero for T&E.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:02:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kar98k] [#49]
Originally Posted By Creature:

Polka Dot Warriors
View Quote
ARFCOM got a photo credit on linked page

funny the things one notices in old pics, like the way socks were rolled in these 2 I found online...

Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#50]

thanks, I was thinking it was a trainer of some t

Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, US 101st Airborne Division
https://66.media.tumblr.com/45a9841f950fb77b649e9e16741c29a1/tumblr_inline_phe5efYK1J1vtjpod_540.jpg
View Quote
I don’t think that is correct.

I’m looking Ian Gardner’s book Deliver Us from Darkness about 3rd battalion of the 506th at Market Garden and this photo is captioned on the 167th page as, “This staged photograph shows a group from 326th Airborne Engineers passing a burnt-out GMC truck along Hoog Straat in Veghel.”
Page / 159
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top