Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:51:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt_sporter] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By somedude:
we posted some pics of this battle but not sure if this video was shown. it details the larger part of the battle as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDT9flAOpA
View Quote
The eyewitness report does not make any sense--"nothing was recovered but a hand," --when by the film it was obvious she was recovered intact and alive.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:35:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:
The eyewitness report does not make any sense--"nothing was recovered but a hand," --when by the film it was obvious she was recovered intact and alive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:
we posted some pics of this battle but not sure if this video was shown. it details the larger part of the battle as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDT9flAOpA
Unless I am confusing the locations, wasn't in that area that a Panther showed-up, blew-up a Sherman and was destroyed by a Pershing?

If so, things might have got a bit messy over there and God knows what happened during and after those engagements.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:03:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#5]
they were saying she was retrieved and put on a stretcher.  then they were saying she might have gotten run over while waiting for a ambulance.  one tanker said they took fire and gunned the gas.  guess sometimes they ran over their own as well they mentioned.  the girls sister says she was never found so... there is that. but it could just mean she died elsewhere. or from being shot.  I shared it because it showed a lot more footage than the other clips.

USS Franklin after being hit by Japanese dive bomber march 1945

desert rats

British tanks at Ruweisat Ridge during First Battle of El Alamein, 1942

oops
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
http://ww2today.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Attack_on_carrier_USS_Franklin_19_March_1945.jpg
View Quote
One of my great uncles is in that pic. He was the navigator on that ship on that cruise. I have the navigation log books and ships phone directory here in my house.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:23:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#7]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

One of my great uncles is in that pic. He was the navigator on that ship on that cruise. I have the navigation log books and ships phone directory here in my house.
View Quote
he is damn lucky, was over 700 killed and 300+ wounded. had to have been a nightmare that day with all the carnage.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:28:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#8]
View All Quotes
http://ww2today.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Attack_on_carrier_USS_Franklin_19_March_1945.jpg
My great-uncle RM1C Darryl A. Grose was killed on that day.

He was my grandma's little brother. During World War II while my grandfather was in France fighting his way across Europe and my great-uncle was in the Pacific, my grandmother sewed silk powder bags for the Indiana Army ammunition plant in Charlestown Indiana.

He was buried at sea.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
This hydroplane is part of the R.A.F. rescue service in the Middle East. It operates on the lakes of the Nile Delta for the assistance of pilots
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
he is damn lucky, was over 700 killed and 300+ wounded. had to have been a nightmare that day with all the carnage.
View All Quotes

Yes, he was damn lucky. Very lucky.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Heckuva story.  Amazing the damage that ship took but stayed afloat.  A testament to that crews commitment to "never give up the ship."   Did he stay with the ship as they sailed back to the mainland for repairs?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:
Heckuva story.  Amazing the damage that ship took but stayed afloat.  A testament to that crews commitment to "never give up the ship."   Did he stay with the ship as they sailed back to the mainland for repairs?
View All Quotes

I am under the impression he did not. He was wounded. He died when I was very young so all I have are the items from the cruise and my great aunt's information before she died.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
few of these posted before, but I think these are larger versions of the images.  and pretty clear.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Medevac on a C-46, wounded while retaking Manilla, with flight nurse:
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#19]
A soldier of the Royal Scots provides covering fire with his Thompson submachine gun in the village of Namma, Burma, October 1944.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#20]
it's not WWII, but it is interesting, sorta applies to the topic, and has some cool pics:

ever wonder how they came up with dazzle camo for ships?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#21]
125 sailors, wingtip to wingtip.  There are two still flying.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Stolen from other websites, not my work.

US 5th Marines Iwo Jima
Attachment Attached File

US 25th Infantry Division Solomon Islands

Attachment Attached File

US 3rd ID Cisterna Italy

Attachment Attached File

Unsure of unit but in Cologne Germany.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#23]
That last one is a particularly beautiful pic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#24]
What boots is he wearing?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By lew:

What boots is he wearing?
View Quote
Snow pacs, cold weather boots.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By InternationalM:

Snow pacs, cold weather boots.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:43:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beet223] [#27]
the boots were just 4 buckle rubber over shoes. they could be slipped over normal combat boots.  dad and uncles brought there home after war (dad was in occupation Germany right after the war worked on tanks they used them all the time he said) . spent time with him today in nursing home hes 93 mind slipping fast .  they could be folded up and put in pack, they helped keep feet dry but also made the feet feel heavy and could quickly be removed in case they had to move quick.  use to play with there 4 buckle over shoes when I was a kid.  I have a book with pictures of him working on the tanks wearing those kind of over boots. Dad and I just recently went throught his pictures and books with pictures of him and his unit. he was in the 28th the bloody bucket.  the unit books are of there unit book titled "Roll on 28th". he had 3 brothers in the war one in 749th tanker landed on Utah beach was farthest unit in Germany at end of war had 3 tanks hit with him in them made it home safe, other 2 brothers infantry france Italy and Germany one at battle of the buldge. all came home. sorry after spending time with dad on all this recently just needed to say it. oh father n law still living 97 slipping fast was in Italy and france. all home safe and all sergeants.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By beet223:
the boots were just 4 buckle rubber over shoes. they could be slipped over normal combat boots.  dad and uncles brought there home after war (dad was in occupation Germany right after the war worked on tanks they used them all the time he said) . spent time with him today in nursing home hes 93 mind slipping fast .  they could be folded up and put in pack, they helped keep feet dry but also made the feet feel heavy and could quickly be removed in case they had to move quick.  use to play with there 4 buckle over shoes when I was a kid.  I have a book with pictures of him working on the tanks wearing those kind of over boots. Dad and I just recently went throught his pictures and books with pictures of him and his unit. he was in the 28th the bloody bucket.  the unit books are of there unit book titled "Roll on 28th". he had 3 brothers in the war one in 749th tanker landed on Utah beach was farthest unit in Germany at end of war had 3 tanks hit with him in them made it home safe, other 2 brothers infantry france Italy and Germany one at battle of the buldge. all came home. sorry after spending time with dad on all this recently just needed to say it. oh father n law still living 97 slipping fast was in Italy and france. all home safe and all sergeants.
View Quote
Correct. Slip on rubber boot covers...with metal "buckles" that were surprisingly effective. My father brought them home from the army too and I remember them as a kid.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

U.S. Marine Raiders gathered in front of a Japanese dugout on Cape Totkina on Bougainville, Solomon Islands, which they helped to take. Photographed January 1944.

Wonder how many made it home.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Creature:
Correct. Slip on rubber boot covers...with metal "buckles" that were surprisingly effective. My father brought them home from the army too and I remember them as a kid.
View All Quotes
My grandpa used either his from the war, or the exact same style for many years afterwards.  I still remember them being right outside the door on the breezeway on their farm house.   I know my dad had a pair for a long time too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#32]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

just a wallpaper but figured why not.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Element94:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195471/7270246112_2e257f20ec_o_jpg-867555.JPG

U.S. Marine Raiders gathered in front of a Japanese dugout on Cape Totkina on Bougainville, Solomon Islands, which they helped to take. Photographed January 1944.

Wonder how many made it home.
View Quote
Some of those guys have " the look."  I wonder what their life was like if they made it home.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 7:40:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InternationalM] [#34]
I stole this from the WW2 Colorized photo group on facebook.

The US Marine, Johnny N Popham, lifts a badly injured infant from a cave where native islanders had been hiding during the battle for Saipan, July 1944.

"Hands trained for killing, gently worked the soil away from the small lopsided head and extricated the infant."

"The eyes were covered with the clinging flies. The head was badly injured, and the little body was covered with scratches—but it was alive, and though death was almost sure, we used precious time to carry it back to the Jeeps for medical care."

Paul White is the other Marine at the bottom of the ravine with the rifle, and a cigarette, “Johnny Popham was at the top of the incline. I had yelled up to him, and asked what the hell do we do with this baby? I didn’t see how they could possibly save its eyesight, but it was alive. Johnny, who was a devout Catholic, said, “I think we have to leave it up to God’. I don’t know if it survived.baby was passed to three others until it got to the top."

W. Eugene Smith took this picture and was himself, seriously injured by mortar fire while photographing the Battle of Okinawa in 1945.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:23:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#36]
hurtgen forest

Link Posted: 3/8/2019 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
My Dad was in Korea at the end of the fighting. IIRC he had some as well. We wore his green wool socks as an extra layer when we'd go out and play in the snow.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#40]

More Here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By InternationalM:
Attachment Attached File
View Quote
I always wonder what the inside of a knocked out tank looks like, if not completely burned out.

I remember reading a semi-fictional book on Stalingrad by a German POW after the war, in it he described the driver of a knocked out tank as a headless body, still sitting in the seat with flesh of its upper torso torn off revealing blacken rib cage, leaving only the skin on its hands like a skeleton wearing gloves.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 4:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InternationalM] [#43]
17th airborne.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 4/17/2019 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#46]
hurtgen forest
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b6/42/30/b6423019c42d058e151e72bbaf5f3e51.jpg

https://9thinfantrydivision.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/village-fighting.jpg
View Quote
@somedude

I just read an American infantry officers memoir that covers the Hurtgen Forest. That was some brutal fighting.

If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story

https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Survive-Normandy-American-ebook/dp/B0049P1M1S/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Anyone recognize these places?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Nuremburg on the top and Spandau on the bottom?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deere_John_16] [#49]

Nuremburg on the top and Spandau on the bottom?
View Quote
Correct on Nuremburg, it is the Zepplin grounds.

Incorrect on #2, will wait to reveal it.  It is harder since I couldn't get a picture that captured the full site.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Correct on Nuremburg, it is the Zepplin grounds.

https://i2.wp.com/binaryapi.ap.org/fe4a58c9dced4179b34e059a5c90acc9/preview/AP718942973713.jpg?resize=760%2C537

Incorrect on #2, will wait to reveal it.  It is harder since I couldn't get a picture that captured the full site.
View Quote
the second one looks like a train depot for maintenance. but not sure where. or if that is even it. but similar to one I saw on a documentary.
Page / 159
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top