BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ask anyone from Idaho if they support this.Beacause I want to date a supermodel doesnt mean she wants to date me.
View Quote

I'm from Idaho and I do support annexing the conservative eastern parts of Oregon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
How long til Boise dictates how everyone in those larger borders lives though?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
In this thread, we see who took high school civics, and who didn't.

Moreso, outside of the infrastructure subsidies that the rural areas get from the liberal/dense areas (which the libs don't care about), why would they want to let them go to Idaho?  Why would they want to loose those Electoral College votes, especially since the House rep is going to go with the district anyways?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In this thread, we see who took high school civics, and who didn't.

Moreso, outside of the infrastructure subsidies that the rural areas get from the liberal/dense areas (which the libs don't care about), why would they want to let them go to Idaho?  Why would they want to loose those Electoral College votes, especially since the House rep is going to go with the district anyways?
View Quote

This really does remind me of Texas' History...... Ol Santa Ana was not too happy at that time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
What does eastern Oregon offer Idaho?

What major industries?  No, not logging.  

How much below the poverty level?

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only thing this MAY offer Idaho is the Port of Coos Bay. It is a deep-water port and has potential for a container terminal as well as bulk. This matters because both OR and WA are in talks to remove dams on the Columbia/snake river system and if that were to happen it would leave Idaho without access to marine shipping options. The potential for Natural Gas Import/export and a pipeline to Idaho is there as well.

Other than that, it takes the most economically depressed parts of the state and hands them to Idaho which would be a net drain on Idaho's resources.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How so? It only covers SW OR and NorCal.
View Quote
Exactly. No Idaho involved.

We would also get a new, conservative State.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The only thing this MAY offer Idaho is the Port of Coos Bay. It is a deep-water port and has potential for a container terminal as well as bulk. This matters because both OR and WA are in talks to remove dams on the Columbia/snake river system and if that were to happen it would leave Idaho without access to marine shipping options. The potential for Natural as Import/export and a pipeline to Idaho is there as well.

Other than that, it takes the most economically depressed parts of the state and hands them to Idaho which would be a net drain on Idaho's resources.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing this MAY offer Idaho is the Port of Coos Bay. It is a deep-water port and has potential for a container terminal as well as bulk. This matters because both OR and WA are in talks to remove dams on the Columbia/snake river system and if that were to happen it would leave Idaho without access to marine shipping options. The potential for Natural as Import/export and a pipeline to Idaho is there as well.

Good feedback, thanks.

Also, good luck.

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you have to wait until after the Wendigo before Idaho can start conquering other states.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Having lived in both western and eastern Washington, just divide Oregon and Washington with a North-South line, rather than an East-West line. Down the Cascades would do fine.

Same number of states.
View Quote

This, or let us join Idaho. To this day I don’t know why this isn’t pushed more by eastern Washington?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They can make new states, but leave Idaho as Idaho. We really don't need more people from OR and WA. The less-insane parts of those states can eject the big cities and do their own thing if they want.
View Quote

Idaho could easily go blue. I’d take every conservative country you can get.    I miss living there but damn it got expensive
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This, or let us join Idaho. To this day I don’t know why this isn’t pushed more by eastern Washington?
View Quote

Similar question as before.

What does eastern Washington offer Idaho?

What major industries?

What percentage of the population below the poverty level?

As far as offerings random college student serial killers don't count.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]
How they going to stop them?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think you have to wait until after the Wendigo before Idaho can start conquering other states.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been told eastern Oregon is full of poverty and would wreak havoc on Idaho's economy if they joined.

Also if that includes Bend, that is tipping Democrat anyways. So you would be adding another city that will become liberal leaning within the decade. They're already voting that way. The net result would be a more Democrat greater Idaho.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Libs always foul their own nests and then move to nice nests and foul them as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been told eastern Oregon is full of poverty and would wreak havoc on Idaho's economy if they joined.

Also if that includes Bend, that is tipping Democrat anyways. So you would be adding another city that will become liberal leaning within the decade. They're already voting that way. The net result would be a more Democrat greater Idaho.
View Quote

It doesn't
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:23:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I live in Eastern Washington and it's not red anymore. Seattle is a lost cause, but that doesn't make the rest of Washington sane. It would be a Trojan horse that would destroy Idaho.  More than half the poeple are tuned out or are bat shit crazy. If conservatives in Washington and Oregon want to become part of Idaho, just move there. We started building on some acreage at the start of the covid bullshit and will hopefully be out of Washington this Summer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:28:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
State of Jefferson > Greater Idaho
View Quote
East of the cascades to glacier..
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:36:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ask anyone from Idaho if they support this.Beacause I want to date a supermodel doesnt mean she wants to date me.
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And there it. Is. Balkanization begins in USA.
View Quote

It's either that or railcars and camps.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Been posted here several times over the last couple of years. It’s not gonna get anywhere. Way too many hurdles for it to happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Been posted here several times over the last couple of years. It’s not gonna get anywhere. Way too many hurdles for it to happen.

Regardless of how residents vote, to actually change the states' borders would require lawmakers in Oregon, Idaho and U.S. Congress to sign off on it.

We're in a post-law world now where literally anything can happen if you have the stones to see it through.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:46:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You say that as if idaho is just waiting for the chance to take you in.

I own homes in both Idaho and Washington,  soon to be Idaho only.

I say leave idaho out of it. It's perfect just the way it is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:48:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Idaho could easily go blue. I’d take every conservative country you can get.    I miss living there but damn it got expensive
View Quote

Yet the evidence indicates idaho is getting  more conservative.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:28:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it’s true that Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon, Western Montana and Utah are all getting more liberal, do you really believe that Idaho won’t slowly be infiltrated?

There was a time when I thought Boise electing a leftist lesbian mayor and pride parades/festivals and drag queen shows in Boise and CDA were beyond the realm of possibility, too.

Not saying Idaho should expand to include Eastern Washington or Eastern Oregon, either. I more like the idea of combing them to form a new state. If Puerto Rico is ever allowed statehood, the GOP better be fighting like hell to allow new carveout states in WA, OR and CA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bring it on.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:26:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

It started with LBJ backers when he was president.  LBJ was front man for establishment of the welfare plantation and re-enslavement of blacks.  

The welfare state is hugely profitable for the politically connected but it destroys civilization and caused increasingly totalitarian politics and government.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:26:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Agreed, I don't want any part of Oregon.  Least of all Ontario.  Fucking gross!
View Quote

What’s wrong with Ontario? Do you live on Gay Way in Fruitland?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:28:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
so, what are all the "...drr just move to anudder state" bro's say, when the lib states move to them?

View Quote

Those bros are superior to you.  

DU is a place for the Low IQ Left, Arfcom isn't.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:32:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Let's just leave idaho out of this .

It's fine just like it is.
View Quote

I thought that too, back when Driggs was just another humble conservative town, when there were just 6,000 people in Rexburg, when Boise was kept in check… Idaho most definitely isn’t “fine just like it is” because it is changing every day. The cities are growing and becoming more liberal and more powerful.

Bringing rural Eastern Oregon and Washington into Idaho would delay the population-center liberal takeover that is already happening.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:45:41 AM EDT
[#31]

https://idahocapitalsun.com/2021/08/20/census-2020-data-illustrates-idahos-urban-rural-divide/
More at link:

For instance:

Star, an Ada County city located west of Boise, grew by 91.9%. Population increased from 5,793 in 2010 to 11,117 in 2020.
Middleton, a Canyon County town that is located between Boise and Nampa and situated near Star, grew by 70.6%, from 5,524 in 2010 to 9,425 in 2020.
Stanley, located in Custer County in central Idaho, grew by 84.1%, from 63 people in 2010 to 116 in 2020.
Each of those grew by a greater percentage than Meridian, which saw its population increase by more than 56%, from 75,092 in 2010 to 117,635 in 2020.

Overall, the Treasure Valley’s growth drove much of the state’s population growth. Ada and Canyon counties alone added 146,748 people between 2010 and 2020, whereas the state of Idaho as a whole added 271,524 people.

But over the same 10-year period, 71 named towns and cities in Idaho lost population.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#32]
The only redeeming qualities of Ontario are The Outdoorsman Sporting Goods store and no sales tax at Home Depot.  Otherwise, it has become a den of druggies and gang members.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This isn't anything new, you had the State of Jefferson movement back before WWII. Various secession movements within states to leave and join other states, etc....

I support it in the simple principle that people should have the right to be represented. The rural areas feel underrepresented and they are. But people make up a state not dirt and trees. Thus the rural populations want to secede and form Greater Idaho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This isn't anything new, you had the State of Jefferson movement back before WWII. Various secession movements within states to leave and join other states, etc....

I support it in the simple principle that people should have the right to be represented. The rural areas feel underrepresented and they are. But people make up a state not dirt and trees. Thus the rural populations want to secede and form Greater Idaho.

That is an artificial imposition of the Warren Court.  Governmental structures can be set up so that "dirt and trees", as it were, have a vote.  A lot of what you see going on has to do with the court unconstitutionally stripping State constitutional provisions that permitted rural, exurban, and a number of suburban areas to have effective representation that is not possible in more majoritarian structures.  They used to be able to check the urban and other population-dense areas.  Now a concentrated populace deems itself the arbiter of "what is" for everyone else without regard for their various interests, cultures, values, etc.  Only the urban matters.  It's interesting to me how much the Left obsesses about artificial diversity in the form of race, color, and sexuality, demanding that they get more of a say and even mandating that they be guaranteed one by law like California does), but when it comes to natural and genuine diversity found as a result of geography, cultural variation, and more, it rejects the notion that such diverse groups should have any meaningful say.  Of course, the political proclivities of the two categories likely plays a role in how they view such matters.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dirt and trees don't make up a state. People do. The majority of the population of Oregon is urban, not rural. Thus, the state government reflects that. If you go back far enough, libs moved to California during and soon after the Great Depression and started the downward trend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so, what are all the "...drr just move to anudder state" bro's say, when the lib states move to them?

Dirt and trees don't make up a state. People do. The majority of the population of Oregon is urban, not rural. Thus, the state government reflects that. If you go back far enough, libs moved to California during and soon after the Great Depression and started the downward trend.

Majoritarianism is an unsound governmental principle.  Geography should matter and it can be made to matter as it did for most of American political history.  

It should be noted, though, that Oregon was one of the minority of States that was at most only minimally impacted by the Reapportionment Cases.  Still, it is clear that a constitutional structure that is non-majoritarian in nature is preferable and warranted.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No more so than when the northwestern part of Virginia broke away to become West
Virginia. Both were still states.

I don't know if the South's secession and formation into the Confederacy could be
properly called balkanization.

Now, several areas breaking away from the US, setting up shop as their own countries...
That would be closer.

As for Greater Idaho... ambitious, and I wish it well, getting hard working people away
from a slothful uncaring government.

An alternative would be, as mentioned, merging Oregon and Washington together,
and drawing the line between a West Cascadia and Cascadia to where Seattle and
Portland are on one side, and real people on the other.

It's in the Declaration of Independence, people.

"But when a long train of abuses, and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object,
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

And this country didn't even get it right the first time, either ... or do schools not teach
of the Articles of Confederation, that preceded the Constitution?

To the arrogant city-states of Portland and Seattle... what's left of this decade may well
find you on your own. It's to be hoped that CHAZ was enough of a lesson for you, and
it sank in.

Probably not, though.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure the residents of Spokane and Pullman would soundly reject that idea.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The only redeeming qualities of Ontario are The Outdoorsman Sporting Goods store and no sales tax at Home Depot.  Otherwise, it has become a den of druggies and gang members.
View Quote

Exactly!  

It's nice that the Outdoorsman has a deal set up to transfer pistols to the Gem State Pawn in Fruitland.  Makes it easy to buy pistols.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Pretty sure the residents of Spokane and Pullman would soundly reject that idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or we could push for a state electoral college
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Having lived in both western and eastern Washington, just divide Oregon and Washington with a North-South line, rather than an East-West line. Down the Cascades would do fine.

Same number of states.
View Quote

This.  WA, OR, and Eastern ORWA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Having lived in Boise, and now in Clackamas (next to Portland), I'm all for it.  I may have to move a little bit east, but I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some awesome fishing... As an Idahoan, I support this because I want Idaho to have those Electoral college votes, and I'd rather have my fishing license fees go to Idaho than Oregon.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't help as much as needed since it is the legislature which passes laws.  What you need is geographic apportionment of at least one of the legislative chambers.  Having a legit electoral college (and not just what amounts to a point system) with some geographic apportionment as well to elect the Govenor and his second is icing on the cake.  Also, cabinet offices should be appointed, not elected, same with judicial offices.  Making them elected is an idiotic constitutional design.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I love it!

I have a modest proposal for the rest of us.

Everyone gets 3 votes:

1 county
1 state.
1 vote either in national election *or* a city election, if you live in a city. But not both. If you vote in Portland (or Podunk) you can’t vote in a federal election. Choose *one* of the latter two.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Regardless of how residents vote, to actually change the states' borders would require lawmakers in Oregon, Idaho and U.S. Congress to sign off on it.

In the post Constitutional US I totally agree with you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.greateridaho.org/greater-idaho-bill-filed-in-oregon-state-senate/

A bill inviting Idaho to begin talks with Oregon on the potential to relocate the state line they share was read on the floor of the Oregon Senate yesterday. Oregon state senator Dennis Linthicum (R-Klamath County) is the lead sponsor, and the initial cosponsors are Senator Brian Boquist (R – Dallas) and Rep. Werner Reschke (R – Klamath County). Freshman Representative Emily McIntire (R – Eagle Point), sworn in yesterday, has indicated to leaders of the Greater Idaho movement that she will sign on as a cosponsor when House rules allow.

The bill, SJM 2, became public yesterday along with other pre-session filed bills. It states “we, the members of the 82nd Legislative Assembly stand ready to begin discussions regarding the potential to relocate the Oregon/Idaho border, and invite the Idaho Legislature, the Governor of Idaho, the Governor of Oregon to begin talks on this topic with this Legislative Assembly.”

The bill notes that, of the 15 rural, conservative counties of eastern Oregon that are proposed to become parts of Idaho, eleven have already approved ballot measures indicating support. It notes that Oregon slightly relocated its border with Washington in 1958.

The bill lists several reasons that the Democrat majority of the Oregon Legislature should want to relocate the boundary: support for the self-determination of the people of eastern Oregon, financial benefits of offloading eastern Oregon, and concern about the interference of (conservative) eastern Oregon into the (progressive) politics of western Oregon.

The bill states that eastern Oregon is an economic drain on Oregon’s state budget because of the high income taxes paid by the Portland area. The bill also references a poll that found that only 3% of the voters of northwestern Oregon are willing to pay what it costs to have rural regions of Oregon included in the Oregon state budget.  The movement estimates the cost is over $500 per northwestern Oregonian wage earner annually.

Along with all other bills filed prior to the beginning of the legislative session, the bill now lies on the desk of the new President of the Senate, Rob Wagner. According to rules approved yesterday, any progress on a Senate bill requires his approval. The Greater Idaho movement’s website greateridaho.org calls on him to allow their bill to get a hearing. Spokesman for the Greater Idaho movement, Matt McCaw pointed to the same January 2022 SurveyUSA poll that showed that 68% of northwestern Oregon voters thought that the Oregon Legislature should hold hearings on the idea, and only 20% opposed.

“Portland voters forced a gun control measure on the whole state, although eastern Oregon voters almost defeated it. And then an eastern Oregon judge blocked it. His injunction might stand for a couple years while he decides the case.  If Oregon had let Grant and Harney counties go when they requested to join Idaho, then their judge wouldn’t have blocked an Oregon measure. Grant and Harney counties are ranchland, and Portland is not. It doesn’t make sense for these two cultures to be dictating policy to each other,” he said.

Note: parts of the Oregon Legislature’s website were inoperable at the time of this release but can be expected to be repaired soon.

Uncopyrighted photos regarding the movement are here: https://www.greateridaho.org/uncopyrighted-photos-for-use-by-media/ 

Read the backgrounder for the Greater Idaho movement: www.greateridaho.org/backgrounder-intro-to-greater-idaho 

Or we can keep whining and getting punched in the face, because deep down, we know he loves us.

Leftists: no WAY we could ever get these people accept transgenderism and cross-dressing stripshows for preteens where the kids are taken there unwillingly by their parents ... that'll NEVER HAPPEN!

They never give up. We never even try.

Than we wonder why we never win.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let it be so.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Let it be so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let it be so.

We're already balkanized.

It takes some serious gaps in knowledge to miss that we are.

The genius of the intended federal system in the constitution (the one the states were sold during ratification) is that it allowed for a LOT of 'balkanization.'  It no longer does and has not for an extremely long time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And may the Southern counties and Northern California counties secede and become Jefferson!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for them! I wish them luck.

And may the Southern counties and Northern California counties secede and become Jefferson!

How did this "Jefferson" name for this particular part of territory come into being?

I'm assuming it's after Thomas and not George.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top