Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 107
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I was about to buy one of these but I tested my space heater using a Kill-A-watt meter. It pulls 1800watts on high, so the HF Predator 2000 wouldn't be enough to pull it.

Was wanting one that could pull the space heater, charge phones and possibly run a TV.

Question: If the power is out and you hook your modem up to a power supply will the internet work? We have Windstream DSL and it runs off our phone land line.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:53:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Banditman] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
I was about to buy one of these but I tested my space heater using a Kill-A-watt meter. It pulls 1800watts on high, so the HF Predator 2000 wouldn't be enough to pull it.

Was wanting one that could pull the space heater, charge phones and possibly run a TV.

Question: If the power is out and you hook your modem up to a power supply will the internet work? We have Windstream DSL and it runs off our phone land line.
View Quote
We lost our power at midnight just as Irma's eye wall was upon us. About 30 minutes
later I started up one Honda 2000 and ran cords to 2 fridges and to the modem. We had
internet then. When I got up the next morning there was no internet. So it is possible
to still have internet, but during a widespread power outage it would be unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#3]

View Quote
Internet will work as long as your provider's network is up and running. If a network line is down the  you have no signal. Much like cable TV. You can have power feeding your modem. But if down the the network somewhere a feeder line is damaged. You get no signal. 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
That's only a 30A kit,designed for the 2K generators.
It'll work for paralleling the 3500W generators, but you only get another 500W.

For paralleling the total output of the 3500s you'd need a 60A inlet, outlet, circuit breaker and some 4AWG wire.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote
Consider a propane Heater Buddy for space heating.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And heated bed covers instead of electric blankets.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anybody thought about taking one of the bigger non-inverter "smoke and noise generators" from HF or elsewhere and trying to put a cabinet around it to quiet it down? That could be another good budget option for those DIYers in here. Heck even for the inverter generators a small enclosure might not be a bad idea to keep the elements off the genset.

There seems to be pre-made options out there but they seem ridiculously expensive for what you'd really need to do something on a budget. Even if you didn't have a lot of equipment to fabricate something "nice" I think you should be able to do it with some basic hand tools and a couple trips to Lowes or Home Depot. Just make sure there's enough natural or assisted airflow so it won't heat soak.

Most enclosures could be made for easy assembly so it would store flat somewhere or you could use the enclosure itself to store a smaller generator and genset supplies like cables, adapters, oil, plugs, fire extinguisher, etc. to make a nice self-contained storage option.

People get desperate so in an extended SHTF scenario being able to run quiet is a good thing to stay inconspicuous. In 2011 when we lost power for over a week the last couple nights were horrible as the cheap gensets started flooding the area and my neighborhood sounded like the infield at Talledega 24/7. The noise pollution was getting bad as it started getting hard to rest/concentrate. Telegraphing that you have power and gas will always lure some unsavory or just plain panicking/desperate types too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
I keep my modem and router on a UPS as well. That helps provide clean protected power. If your line goes down elsewhere you could lose internet. Between my cable modem and 4g cell phone I had pretty good redundancy in 2011 when we lost power for a week. The internet went down first but the cell towers are pretty redundant. We were on 3g/1g mostly though but with some patience I could do some basic updates/communication via social media.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a GI Shelter-Half Tent as a cover for the larger generator.

Keep it dry and allows proper airflow to keep it from overheating. 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Has anybody thought about taking one of the bigger non-inverter "smoke and noise generators" from HF or elsewhere and trying to put a cabinet around it to quiet it down? That could be another good budget option for those DIYers in here. Heck even for the inverter generators a small enclosure might not be a bad idea to keep the elements off the genset.

There seems to be pre-made options out there but they seem ridiculously expensive for what you'd really need to do something on a budget. Even if you didn't have a lot of equipment to fabricate something "nice" I think you should be able to do it with some basic hand tools and a couple trips to Lowes or Home Depot. Just make sure there's enough natural or assisted airflow so it won't heat soak.

Most enclosures could be made for easy assembly so it would store flat somewhere or you could use the enclosure itself to store a smaller generator and genset supplies like cables, adapters, oil, plugs, fire extinguisher, etc. to make a nice self-contained storage option.

People get desperate so in an extended SHTF scenario being able to run quiet is a good thing to stay inconspicuous. In 2011 when we lost power for over a week the last couple nights were horrible as the cheap gensets started flooding the area and my neighborhood sounded like the infield at Talledega 24/7. The noise pollution was getting bad as it started getting hard to rest/concentrate. Telegraphing that you have power and gas will always lure some unsavory or just plain panicking/desperate types too.
View Quote
There's guys on Youtube that have made homemade enclosures.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

There's guys on Youtube that have made homemade enclosures.
View Quote
If you want to build a soundproof enclosure you need to line it with 2" acoustic insulation and finish it with perforated mesh panels.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes

Yep.

Using a generator to power an electric heater is crazy inefficient.

Basically, you're burning fuel to produce heat, which the engine turns into mechanical energy, which the generator head turns into electrical energy - only to get turned back into heat by your heater. Each step in that conversion process wastes some energy.

Much better to burn fuel and use the heat directly.

If you don't like propane heaters, consider a kerosine heater instead.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Heads up to anyone with the harbor freight 3500 change the craptastic "torch" brand sparkplug ASAP.

Bought one a week or so before hurricane Irma hit. it started first touch of the starter and ran great. Later after the storm had passed, we used it for a couple days and it worked admirably. Didn't miss a beat and kept us in power the whole time.

Just went out this weekend to start her up and she wouldn't start. Pulled the plug and tested It but alas, there was no spark. Drained the oil and gas and was about to exchange the unit, but there were none to exchange it with locally. Figured I would try to change the plug out first. Got an e3 plug, slapped her in and refilled the oil and gas. She started right up.

Factory plug was shot after a mere 40 hours of operation

Change that shit plug!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SKWEE-G:
Heads up to anyone with the harbor freight 3500 change the craptastic "torch" brand sparkplug ASAP.

Bought one a week or so before hurricane Irma hit. it started first touch of the starter and ran great. Later after the storm had passed, we used it for a couple days and it worked admirably. Didn't miss a beat and kept us in power the whole time.

Just went out this weekend to start her up and she wouldn't start. Pulled the plug and tested It but alas, there was no spark. Drained the oil and gas and was about to exchange the unit, but there were none to exchange it with locally. Figured I would try to change the plug out first. Got an e3 plug, slapped her in and refilled the oil and gas. She started right up.

Change that shit plug!
View Quote
For any type of critical equipment spares should be kept in stock.
For my Honda snowblower I have put a kit together which includes both an auger and drive belt, a spark plug, oil, and multiples of every shear bolt along with the factory service manual.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#16]
i just scored a low hour (claiming 10 or so) Power Horse 2000 inverter from a neighbor for $200! Northern tool sells them for $600 so I figured it was worth a shot, fired right up.

now what should I do to make sure it's in top shape? new plug and oil change? I'm going to assume this guy did nothing,
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SKWEE-G] [#17]
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:

For my Honda snowblower I have put a kit together which includes both an auger and drive belt, a spark plug, oil, and multiples of every shear bolt along with the factory service manual.
View Quote
Excellent advice! Need to get a second quality plug to keep as a spare. Would be a terrible feeling to have a giant paper weight instead of a generator when the power goes out.

EDIT: just ordered 2 spares.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Excellent advice! Need to get a second quality plug to keep as a spare. Would be a terrible feeling to have a giant paper weight instead of a generator when the power goes out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:

Given the cost and size I'd keep at least 2-3 plugs and oil changes on hand.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#19]

I've had this Porter & Cable 5250 since Hurricane Katrina. She still runs great. Has a Briggs & Straton engine on it. Just changed the oil today. She works like a charm. 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:25:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jefflebowski] [#20]
Looks like my five year Champion has a leak.  Just ran it, started on the first pull.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Change that shit plug!
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up.  I just ordered some spares (well I am going to replace the "Torches").  I ordered the Champion Z9Y (808) plugs for the Pred2000.  The Pred2000 has Torch A5RTC plugs in them...
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#22]
Originally Posted By drmgallen:

Thanks for the heads up.  I just ordered some spares (well I am going to replace the "Torches").  I ordered the Champion Z9Y (808) plugs for the Pred2000.  The Pred2000 has Torch A5RTC plugs in them...
View Quote
I was just going to ask if the Champion Z9Y was the only cross, I have always heard Champs aren't the best.

I was also wondering what the gent with issues with his Predator a page or two back did, return it? Maybe the spark plug is his problem too.

Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jetlag:
Any opinions on this: Sportsman 2800 / 3000 $ 429 ?
View Quote
That'd be a great deal if you can parallel 2 of them?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:34:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Igloo87] [#24]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

I was just going to ask if the Champion Z9Y was the only cross, I have always heard Champs aren't the best.

I was also wondering what the gent with issues with his Predator a page or two back did, return it? Maybe the spark plug is his problem too.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71g1GvPmp2L._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
They had NGK CR5HS (2874) as a cross...could not find one...

Denso cross is U16FSR-U (4171)
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Change that shit plug!
View Quote
What plug do I need to order for the 3500?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
Looks like my five year Champion has a leak.  Just ran it, started on the first pull.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/109690/735F5491-F41E-46EB-BD2A-15B054156654-316058.JPG
View Quote
May be a common issue, mine did to.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:37:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#27]
What is this leak you guys are seeing? Isn't that yellow shit tiger snot (3M adhesive for the gasket to hold for assembly)?

Maybe I have had too much

Was looking for a drip or puddle I guess.

ETA: Maybe the slight oil sheen collecting dust towards the bottom? Tighten the bolts and wipe it off is what I would do.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Igloo87] [#28]
I found this place that had the Denso U16FSRU (4171) plug available to order.  Shipping is $9 but the plugs were $1.97.  For the Pred2000...

I bought some other plugs to help with the shipping...
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Who bought the extended warranty, because its ONLY 90 days?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#30]
The troll is back
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71g1GvPmp2L._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
@josecuervo  Is this the right plug for the 3500 also?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:11:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#32]
The Champion 80cc 73531i Inverter Generator manual gives this info regarding spark plugs:

Intermittent use (less than 1 hour/month) or
colder temperatures (below 60°F)
NGK BR6HS or equivalent

Moderate use (less than 3 hours/month) or
seasonal temperatures (50-80°F)
NGK BR7HS or equivalent

Extreme use (continuous) or hot climates
(80-100°F)
NGK BR8HS or equivalent
View Quote
Your manual should have all the info you need. Folks should get spare plugs when they buy their generators. It's a great idea.

On another note, the people who frequent the Survival Forum have been discussing and reviewing many of these various generators for years. This is kind of old hat for them, and many have chimed in here to help. There is lots of great info in the Survival Forum Archives, including how-to on nat gas conversion, what gennys run what appliances, etc. Poke around over there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#33]
My box already has 4 of the double breakers on top.  Main switch is on the bottom.  Entire bottom half of the box is filled up with 240 breakers (hot water heater, stove, dryer, and 4 for the HVAC + 2 120's).  This was new construction with no modifications or additions.  I guess that I will need an electrician to take a look at it to see what can be done.  I was about to just purchase extension cords, but those will end up running almost $200!  Makes the cost of a manual transfer switch more appealing...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:48:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#34]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Internet will work as long as your provider's network is up and running. If a network line is down the  you have no signal. Much like cable TV. You can have power feeding your modem. But if down the the network somewhere a feeder line is damaged. You get no signal. 
View Quote
There is also equipment out on the poles and pads that requires power to operate.  Once their backups die, you're down.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Nootropics:

@josecuervo  Is this the right plug for the 3500 also?
View Quote
I do not know as I don't have one. Check your owners manual for the part number, it may be but check. Z9Y crosses from the Torch A5RTC.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#37]
In three days we used 6 gallons of fuel. We have 15 gal on hand and would have been good for a while. Ended up running out of sta-bil which is a requirement per the warranty info in the manual
View Quote
Surely you don't need sta-bil for fuel you are putting in and using right away, only needed for gas left in the tank for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CVO:
I just bought a Generac 3300/3650 watt at Lowes for $331.00, its a steal.

Don't need it now, but it was so cheap I couldn't resist.
View Quote
Yes, looks like a good buy : https://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-GP-3300-Running-Watt-Portable-Generator-with-Engine/50013592

Now even cheaper (by $2 !)
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Stoop:
Surely you don't need sta-bil for fuel you are putting in and using right away, only needed for gas left in the tank for a long time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stoop:
In three days we used 6 gallons of fuel. We have 15 gal on hand and would have been good for a while. Ended up running out of sta-bil which is a requirement per the warranty info in the manual
Oddly, the manuals for all their generators specify stabilizer treated gas.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#40]
What takes twelve to equal one?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By CVO:
What takes twelve to equal one?
View Quote
Donut holes?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't feed the troll.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#44]
What spare spark plug do I need for my Predator 2000 inventer. 

Also the HF Tailgator is good for exactly what?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:45:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#45]

View Quote
Here's 25 pages singing the praises of the Tailgator.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Review-of-the-79-Harbor-Freight-Generator-with-pics-56k-noway-update-page-14/18-632490/
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#46]

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Review-of-the-79-Harbor-Freight-Generator-with-pics-56k-noway-update-page-14/18-632490/
View All Quotes

So does it have enough juice to power a tv and cable box?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

What's the placard on your TV say for power consumption?

800W

Most flat screens are less than 200W.
A cable box, maybe another 50W.

Look at the placard near the cord entry.
Or read the manual.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Don't feed the troll.
View Quote
I don’t even get it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Little Champion came in today from Acme tools.  Started on second pull.  Running like a champ.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
65" LED

Page / 107
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top