Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 107
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Undefined:
Fuck it, I fent on a Westinghouse WH2200iXLT.
View Quote
Price?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By kingoftheroad:
Up here we have something called winter. It can be below 0 degrees before the windchill.
No furnace is not an option. Water pipes can and will freeze and if they burst it's even worse.
View Quote
Size your generator to your situation.  Obviously small inverter gens aren't for you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I started a spreadsheet on the Yamaha 2000w and its clones for another forum (not spamming!), anyone interested in helping maintain and expanding it?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:03:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#4]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Which is why people ask for help.

So the connection method is to connect L1 (black) to L1, L2 (red) to L2, and Neutral (white) to Neutral. The ground connection on the generator plug is unused.
View Quote
Back feeding is dangerous and you know it.  For other reasons than grounding, especially by a novice.

I mentioned routing the neutral through the ground, with the caveat the generator would remain ungrounded.
Every generator manual I've read describes attaching a ground lead to the grounding screw.
If you're hooking into a house panel, that occurs through the grounding lug of the outlet.
Neutral and ground aren't bonded on my EU2000.  I doubt they are on my Preadtor 7000.

But I wasn't going to describe a step by step how to.

Look at that pic of the dryer plug.  
It's got romex hanging off of it instead of SOOW appliance cord.
That's got jerry rigged written all over it.
At least it's 10 AWG.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By scubadown:
Help with some wiring please.

My current 220 VAC dryer plug is this:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16393/220-2-338145.JPG
View Quote
Even if you manage to wire your backfeed correctly, you might want to consider using service cord rather than solid wire...   That Romex will eventually break from vibration and handling.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
Price?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Fuck it, I fent on a Westinghouse WH2200iXLT.
Price?
$449 shipped, no tax, new, with 3 year manufacturer warranty. I ordered from eBay store of the company that owns the Westinghouse brand of generators (Midwest Equipment bought out Westpro Power). I did buy the extended warranty through eBay for another $18.

I picked the model based on watching comparisons between the Westinghouse ixlt series generators and other inverter generators. At idle, it is as quiet or quieter than the Honda EU2000I. At full load, it is 2 - 3 decibels higher than the EU2000I, but still quieter than its peers.

This was a good deal for me as I had eBay Bucks (their cash back program) to spend before the end of the month and eBay was running a one day promotion of 8% eBay bucks back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I started a spreadsheet on the Yamaha 2000w and its clones for another forum (not spamming!), anyone interested in helping maintain and expanding it?
View Quote
I would be interested. The Honda EU2000i is a known quantity. The Yamaha seems less so. I have found little on the Chicom clones other than cost and unboxing videos. More information is always helpful. You can IM me a link if you like.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Why is this thread in "General Discussion". To me this topic would be a better fit in "Outdoors >> Survival Gear" with the similar generator equipment threads(Tailgator & such). Does anyone else think it should be moved?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By two4spooky:
Why is this thread in "General Discussion". To me this topic would be a better fit in "Outdoors >> Survival Gear" with the similar generator equipment threads(Tailgator & such). Does anyone else think it should be moved?
View Quote
Hell no it shouldn't be moved. Putting it in GD exposes more people to it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scubadown] [#10]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Which is why people ask for help.

then you post...

Ahem. The three prong plug is L1, L2, and Neutral. Neutral is connected to ground at the panel, so except for some special cases, a separate ground wire is superfluous.
Click To View Spoiler
Many/most generators have neutral and ground connected at the generator, so having that extra conductor does nothing other than add weight and cost to your cord. Inverter generators apparently often don't have those bonded, but as described earlier in this thread, it's necessary to bond them together at the generator in some circumstances.

So the connection method is to connect L1 (black) to L1, L2 (red) to L2, and Neutral (white) to Neutral. The ground connection on the generator plug is unused.

As posted many times, there is serious potential hazard in doing what you describe. You must ensure that the house is completely disconnected from the power grid via main breakers or power pole disconnect. There is also a hazard of having lethal live voltage on a male plug, so make sure everything is connected before energizing the cord and/or put a disconnect in the cord assembly. There are safer, but more costly and involved methods of connecting a generator.
View Quote
That what I thought. Thanks.

Is it really that hard to remember to turn the main breaker off be making the connection to the generator? I deal with more hazardous stuff every day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
+1. 

I'd have never seen it in the survival forum. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]

That what I thought. Thanks.

Is it really that hard to remember to turn the main breaker off be making the connection to the generator? I deal with more hazardous stuff every day.
View Quote
You'd have to be quick on the switch to save your genny when the power comes back on..
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Its like the people who have just "discovered" Jerry Cans. Every question they had is answered in the 7 year old sticky in the Survival Forum. Likewise, generators and house hookups have been a hot topic there for a long time with exceptional responses from real-world professionals and users. Same thing with RO systems and food storage and ammo cans. I dunno. I can see it being moved with the rest. Its not like this thread sits on the front page for more than a minute or so.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
+1. 

I'd have never seen it in the survival forum. 
View Quote
You need to get around more.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

You'd have to be quick on the switch to save your genny when the power comes back on..
View Quote
That makes no sense.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:46:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#16]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
That makes no sense.
View All Quotes

That makes no sense.
ETA: Sorry, I see what you mean, the main is off so no back feeding the genny from the utility. Maybe wifey sees the neighbors power on and throws the switch forgetting the generator is still running.

Just what I have read, shown Here. The context is a transfer switch, not an interlock, but they act in a similar capacity. Maybe I am wrong, but "remember to" shouldn't be part of the plan IMO.

The switch also will prevent utility power from damaging the generator when regular service is restored.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Just what I have read, shown Here. The context is a transfer switch, not an interlock, but they act in a similar capacity. Maybe I am wrong, but "remember to" shouldn't be part of the plan IMO.
View Quote
So you think electricity would travel past a open circuit in a breaker?

Only if it was defective otherwise it can't.

You are wrong
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scubadown] [#18]

View Quote
I don't get it. If the main breaker is off, it doesn't matter when the power comes back on, the house is isolated. During Irma, the power came back on and I was away from my house with the generator running. Turned off the generator, unplugged the back feed cable, switched the main back on and everything was fine.

I agree with the Romex comment, I have switched it out with SO cable.

Now for the real scary part. I am going to convert my generator to natural gas and tie it into my house natural gas line.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I got it gents, my foot was in my mouth.  Carry on. It still doesn't sound wise to not have a mechanical device of whatever kind, transfer or interlock IMO.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I got it gents, my foot was in my mouth.  Carry on. It still doesn't sound wise to not have a mechanical device of whatever kind, transfer or interlock IMO.
View Quote
Maybe you should not own a firearm, after all they can be misused and harm others.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#21]

I don't get it. If the main breaker is off, it doesn't matter when the power comes back on, the house is isolated. During Irma, the power came back on and I was away from my house with the generator running. Turned off the generator, unplugged the back feed cable, switched the main back on and everything was fine.

Now for the real scary part. I am going to convert my generator to natural gas and tie it into my house natural gas line.
View Quote
There have been a couple of threads on this in the SF. Probably archived by now, been a couple of years. I did my Champion Inverter genny to tri-fuel. Works very well, I must say.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#22]

You are wrong
View All Quotes

You are wrong
In all reality what's going to happen is the utility is going to snatch the portable gen back into sync with the utility.  If that doesn't toast your gen, then assuming the gen can't stay in sync with the utility it gets loaded up with a bunch of load until it shuts down assuming you're not connected via the 30 amp plug which has no breaker on the Honda's.  If you're connected via that 30A plug all kinds of bad things are going to happen and you'll end up with an ignition source near your fuel tanks.  

If your gen's frequency is running a little slow then the utility is going to drive your gen, or try to, into sync by pumping current into your inverter unit.  I'm not sure what the internals look like but it's probably a bad thing.  

But let's assume you open the breaker and no one closes it.  Now you've still got the male end of a plug that is non locking that is hot and your source is out of line of site of your plug so even if you unplug it de-energized what's to prevent someone from restarting the gen?

What you're proposing is just dangerous and breaks so many safety regulations it's insane.  My company makes generator paralleling systems for generators from 200 to 3000kw as well as transfer switches. For the record we hate the residential market, so much so I don't have an ATS because we charge too much for them.  But by all means go ahead and do as you wish, it's your house and family.  But as someone that has seen footprints burned into the floor by electricity take my advice spend a few hundred dollars and do it right.  

Oh yeah EE with 20+ years and a JD.  So not only are you doing it wrong technically if the shit does hit the fan, I can tell you you'll probably get sued as well.

Sorry to high jack folks, lets go back to cheap gens.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:01:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#23]
This showed up today.  $497 shipped from Zoro.com using a 20% off coupon.  I'll go through the manual tonight and get it going tomorrow.

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
This showed up today.  $497 shipped from Zoro.com using a 20% off coupon.  I'll go through the manual tonight and get it going tomorrow.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84711/001_JPG-339046.jpg
View Quote
That looks very tempting especially with a parallel kit and another unit at those prices.

Very interested in what the noise & fuel consumption are like.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

In all reality what's going to happen is the utility is going to snatch the portable gen back into sync with the utility.  If that doesn't toast your gen, then assuming the gen can't stay in sync with the utility it gets loaded up with a bunch of load until it shuts down assuming you're not connected via the 30 amp plug which has no breaker on the Honda's.  If you're connected via that 30A plug all kinds of bad things are going to happen and you'll end up with an ignition source near your fuel tanks.  

If your gen's frequency is running a little slow then the utility is going to drive your gen, or try to, into sync by pumping current into your inverter unit.  I'm not sure what the internals look like but it's probably a bad thing.  

But let's assume you open the breaker and no one closes it.  Now you've still got the male end of a plug that is non locking that is hot and your source is out of line of site of your plug so even if you unplug it de-energized what's to prevent someone from restarting the gen?

What you're proposing is just dangerous and breaks so many safety regulations it's insane.  My company makes generator paralleling systems for generators from 200 to 3000kw as well as transfer switches. For the record we hate the residential market, so much so I don't have an ATS because we charge too much for them.  But by all means go ahead and do as you wish, it's your house and family.  But as someone that has seen footprints burned into the floor by electricity take my advice spend a few hundred dollars and do it right.  

Oh yeah EE with 20+ years and a JD.  So not only are you doing it wrong technically if the shit does hit the fan, I can tell you you'll probably get sued as well.

View Quote
That is the stupidest thing I have read all week.
Please tell us which company you work for because I do not want to buy anything
from a company that has an employee that does not know the difference between an
OPEN circuit and a CLOSED circuit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
So your not sure? Okay, I'll put you down as "undecided".
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:13:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: two4spooky] [#27]
Originally Posted By SR712:
Its like the people who have just "discovered" Jerry Cans. Every question they had is answered in the 7 year old sticky in the Survival Forum. Likewise, generators and house hookups have been a hot topic there for a long time with exceptional responses from real-world professionals and users. Same thing with RO systems and food storage and ammo cans. I dunno. I can see it being moved with the rest. Its not like this thread sits on the front page for more than a minute or so.
View Quote
Yeah, I almost never visit GD. I can't find particular topics because the threads change so fast. I found this thread by chance. I was Googling info on my smoke and noise generator and I was like "Hey, there is a thread on ARFCOM" listed in the search results. End result: Quip-All inverter
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Regarding the Quip-All 2200 Inverter Generator... I've seen prices mentioned in this thread ranging from $330-429 but they're currently $479 on ebay.  Does the seller adjust the price frequently or what am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84711/001_JPG-339046.jpg
View Quote
Wow, that's a great deal. Looking forward to your review.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:22:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#30]
Help with some wiring please.

My current 220 VAC dryer plug is this:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16393/220-2-338145.JPG

The generator connector is this:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16393/220-1-338147.JPG

It has white, black, red and green wires in the cable.

How do I hook the 4 wires to a 3 wire plug.

Thanks
View Quote
First, change your dryer receptacle to a 4 wire type.

Then identify what the connections are vs. colors at the genny and associated plug.

Be prepared for the #NeverSuicideCord folks to have a kitten.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
lol!
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#32]
from a company that has an employee that does not know the difference between an
View All Quotes

3rd paragrpah 1st sentence  .....see above.  

It's your house your family do as you wish.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:56:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Banditman] [#33]

View Quote
Who is going to close it? A ghost?  

Do you have any loaded arms in your house? What keeps others from shooting it.

People should be responsible for their own actions. But your post was pure stupidity.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
I can chew gum and walk. My family will be just find without your suggestions. Do you even read your posting?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By FirefighterCT:
Regarding the Quip-All 2200 Inverter Generator... I've seen prices mentioned in this thread ranging from $330-429 but they're currently $479 on ebay.  Does the seller adjust the price frequently or what am I missing?
View Quote
When this thread started they went on special for $329.
I don't know if that's a regular thing or a one off.  It's a nice genny.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#36]
the HF is going to be $429 on Black Friday
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By FirefighterCT:
View Quote
When this thread started they went on special for $329.
I don't know if that's a regular thing or a one off.  It's a nice genny.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
I don't have a ton of experience, willing to admit, but without a furnace, what would you do?  It sounds like there might be a lack in insulation, maybe older construction?

Inductive heaters on pipes, while letting water run a little?  I do get how shitty ruptured pipes are.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kingoftheroad:
Everyone in a winter zone would laugh at your methods. 
I don't have a ton of experience, willing to admit, but without a furnace, what would you do?  It sounds like there might be a lack in insulation, maybe older construction?

Inductive heaters on pipes, while letting water run a little?  I do get how shitty ruptured pipes are.
I’ve seen water freeze out of the faucets at a house that heat went out - in less than 2 hours. 
Every pipe in the house had burst at that point. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

US Carburetion is good to deal with for conversions.

http://www.uscarburetion.com/" target="_blank">http://www.uscarburetion.com/
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Ran my Wen 56200i for 2.6 hours to uplight my wood....oak tree Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Also, when filling the gas tank, rock the generator to release trapped air and add more gas.  You can squeeze a surprising amount more than the "gauge" shows.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#42]

People should be responsible for their own actions. But your post was pure stupidity.
View All Quotes

Pray tell.  Care to explain the amount of current that occurs when you close two sources out of phase?  Or what happens when you inadvertently connect a rotating machine to an infinite bus?  I"m going to guess the vector math required to calculate the current based on phase angle difference is beyond you.

But hey you know how to connect the red and black wires and that goes along with the other stupidity I've seen posted such as the white and green are pretty much the same. you're only supposed to bond the neutral at one location if you're wondering.

Sure you can open the breaker and yes current isn't going to magically jump an air gap but shit happens and people make mistakes.  Backfeeding is a jerry rig plain and simple.  Someone is posting pictures of a 3 prong plug asking about how to backfeed and I explained in stark terms what's going to happen if he fucks up.  If he really knew what he was doing he wouldn't need to ask those questions.  

My post was many things but hardly stupid .... carry on
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Pray tell.  Care to explain the amount of current that occurs when you close two sources out of phase?  Or what happens when you inadvertently connect a rotating machine to an infinite bus?  I"m going to guess the vector math required to calculate the current based on phase angle difference is beyond you.

But hey you know how to connect the red and black wires and that goes along with the other stupidity I've seen posted such as the white and green are pretty much the same. you're only supposed to bond the neutral at one location if you're wondering.

Sure you can open the breaker and yes current isn't going to magically jump an air gap but shit happens and people make mistakes.  Backfeeding is a jerry rig plain and simple.  Someone is posting pictures of a 3 prong plug asking about how to backfeed and I explained in stark terms what's going to happen if he fucks up.  If he really knew what he was doing he wouldn't need to ask those questions.  

View All Quotes

Sometimes it’s better to just stop posting. 
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:54:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jefflebowski] [#44]
Ran my Wen 56200i for 2.6 hours to uplight my wood....oak tree https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38726/20171021_200602-340403.JPG
View Quote
Daughters with curly hair rock  Mine gets her curly hair from her Hispanic mother.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DieselII:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DieselII:

Go ahead I'm all ears what did I post that was incorrect?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Go ahead I'm all ears what did I post that was incorrect?
View Quote
Well let's just start the the very first sentence of recent post; "In all reality what's going to happen is the utility is going to snatch the portable gen back into sync with the utility." With the main breaker open, yeah that is really going to happen. Anybody that would look to you for advise, my guess on any subject, will be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Can we knock off all the "You're stupid!" "No you are!" nonsense?

It's pretty clear there are folks here who are Ok with things like lawnmowers with the safety disabled, while others point out that leaving such things around is a liability.

Sure, if everything goes right - i.e. the person with knowledge of the kludge is the only one who ever operates the equipment AND that person doesn't screw up - then plenty of the kludges are fine.  I don't understand the need to berate someone for pointing out "If anything doesn't go perfectly with that setup then something very bad will happen".

I feel like we've adequately covered the pros and cons of dual-male cords, lack of lockouts, etc... so can we stick to the excellent information this thread has been generating? (Pun intended)
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By rsolomon:
Can we knock off all the "You're stupid!" "No you are!" nonsense?

It's pretty clear there are folks here who are Ok with things like lawnmowers with the safety disabled, while others point out that leaving such things around is a liability.

Sure, if everything goes right - i.e. the person with knowledge of the kludge is the only one who ever operates the equipment AND that person doesn't screw up - then plenty of the kludges are fine.  I don't understand the need to berate someone for pointing out "If anything doesn't go perfectly with that setup then something very bad will happen".

I feel like we've adequately covered the pros and cons of dual-male cords, lack of lockouts, etc... so can we stick to the excellent information this thread has been generating? (Pun intended)
View Quote
Concur.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
Can’t help in maintaining it but I’d be interested in the link
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#50]
Concur.
View Quote
.... Hazards of publishing this stuff in GD instead of a technical Forum like SF.
Page / 107
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top