Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 107
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
Somebody talk me out of the HF 3500w inverter with warranty.
View Quote
No.

If you need a generator and can live without 240v (in other words, if you can live without air conditioning), buy one.

If you live in a cold climate, keep a good sleeping bag handy in case you aren't comfortable living without your furnace. Cold is easy. Put on more warm stuff. Hot is hard. Can only take off so much.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:31:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jefflebowski] [#2]
Originally Posted By Undefined:
No.

If you need a generator and can live without 240v (in other words, if you can live without air conditioning), buy one.

If you live in a cold climate, keep a good sleeping bag handy in case you aren't comfortable living without your furnace. Cold is easy. Put on more warm stuff. Hot is hard. Can only take off so much.
View Quote
Well, I already have a smoke and noise Champion 3500 that runs well after I fixed its surging idle issue and that can run AC/well pump and maybe the water heater?  I'm envisioning soner or later getting an elctrician to install a hookup for the Champion to run the well/water heater and keeping the 3500 for all other duties, mainly because of its wife-friendly ease of use.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Got cut off in my first pass at my last post, updated it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
This cord should work with any 120v generators.

Amazon Product
  • Easy to use, compact, plug-and-play parallel sytem featuring illuminated plugs and switches
  • No bulky, complicated junction boxes, extra hardware, or tedious ground terminal wiring needed
  • Durable, rubber-molded receptacles: features two 120V household power outlets (NEMA 5-20R) and one NEMA 120V L5-30A (RV style) power outlet

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
This cord should work with any 120v generators.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00RW9Z0WA
View Quote
I'd be careful with generators, like the one posted on the previous page, that don't have parallel outputs.  They might not have the phase aligning circuitry inside.
You might be able to parallel one of these with a dissimilar unit that does have parallel capability.
You'd have to start the non parallel genny first and allow the second one to sync to it.
Then yes, this cord should work.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Well, I already have a smoke and noise Champion 3500 that runs well after I fixed its surging idle issue and that can run AC/well pump and maybe the water heater?  I'm envisioning soner or later getting an elctrician to install a hookup for the Champion to run the well/water heater and keeping the 3500 for all other duties, mainly because of its wife-friendly ease of use.
View Quote
So, 3500w justified or a nice to have?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Because the HF standard genny at  3200w/4000w goes on sale for $299 and will cover 99% of your needs?   A good mix of equipment might be a 1 or 2 k inverter for electronics and the standard one for everything else, which is why this thread is going to cost me $179 for that one from target.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bones45:

Because the HF standard genny at  3200w/4000w goes on sale for $299 and will cover 99% of your needs?   A good mix of equipment might be a 1 or 2 k inverter for electronics and the standard one for everything else, which is why this thread is going to cost me $179 for that one from target.
View Quote
I should have added more to that quote, I already have a Champion 3500/4000w smoke and noise job for non sensitive electronics.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
No.

View Quote
Well, I've got 240v covered with my Champion 3500/4000w conventional/smoke & noise genny.  With regards to heating, I've got 5 cords of wood (plus more to cut and split), 2 good Dolmar chainsaws, and two wood stoves, plus winter can get cold here.  My primary source of heat during the winter is from the wood stoves in my house.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Fo'ed. $7 for shipping, no shit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
NoBuyTwoInstead ...

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By danpass:
NoBuyTwoInstead ...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
NoBuyTwoInstead ...

Strangely they don't have a parallel kit for those yet but one could be easily fabricated, there's a ton of youtube videos of people paralleling 3 + gens.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:04:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#13]
Buy a parallel kit (doesn't matter what brand, they are not smart). Pull up a wiring diagram and tap into the 120AC before the circuit breaker. Drill a couple of holes in the faceplate and put in an appropriate connector to match your parallel kit.

Don't reverse the polarity and use appropriate wiring (10 AWG should do). Properly crimp and heatshrink your connectors (and, please, don't use those cheap ass hard nylon insulated connectors).
View All Quotes
1kw inverter generator for $179.99.

No parallel. No push button. No frills, but $220 cheaper than the Predator 2000 for those that are willing to settle.

https://www.target.com/p/gasoline-120-volts-1000-surge-watts-portable-inverter-generator-green-sportsman/-/A-51578201
Excellent find!  Who’s going to help us find out how to add parallel capability?
Buy a parallel kit (doesn't matter what brand, they are not smart). Pull up a wiring diagram and tap into the 120AC before the circuit breaker. Drill a couple of holes in the faceplate and put in an appropriate connector to match your parallel kit.

Don't reverse the polarity and use appropriate wiring (10 AWG should do). Properly crimp and heatshrink your connectors (and, please, don't use those cheap ass hard nylon insulated connectors).
More complicated than necessary.

There is a parallel kit on the market that is just two household style plugs that go into the two generators. One could easily homebrew something similar, if one was willing to accept the potential hazard of a live positive plug. Apparently the only reason for the "parallel kit" plugs is that they are shrouded.

ETA: too slow, it's linked above.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:51:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jefflebowski] [#14]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Strangely they don't have a parallel kit for those yet but one could be easily fabricated, there's a ton of youtube videos of people paralleling 3 + gens.
View All Quotes
NoBuyTwoInstead ...

Actually, they do.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually, they do.
View All Quotes
NoBuyTwoInstead ...

Actually, they do.
I meant the HF one specifically but that one would work.  However $100 for that is huge rippoff.  The plug is $38 on amazon.

The champion one seems to be a better buy
Amazon Product
  • RV Ready - Equipped with a standard 50A RV outlet
  • Toolless Installation - Designed to integrate seamlessly between two inverters
  • Increased Output - Enough power to start and run TWO 15,000 BTU RV air conditioners

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I meant the HF one specifically but that one would work.  However $100 for that is huge rippoff.  The plug is $38 on amazon.

www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW2929Z
View All Quotes
NoBuyTwoInstead ...

Actually, they do.

www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW2929Z
Good find!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes

On backorder, but at least it's done.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

I don't know that this thread is the right venue for ongoing run reports on every type of generator. Maybe a separate thread for those if folks want to do that.
View Quote
I don't know that this poster is the right person to set the rules for the discussion.  Maybe a seperate method of public interaction for folks that want to do that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:59:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#19]

On backorder, but at least it's done.
View Quote
Amazon has them for $69. Nothing about a backorder.... it ships from Amazon and they are pretty good about their own inventory I think. Free shipping if you have Prime.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SR712:
Amazon has them for $69. Nothing about a backorder.... it ships from Amazon and they are pretty good about their own inventory I think. Free shipping if you have Prime.
View Quote
Sorry, I was talking about my HF 3500w inverter genny I just ordered.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#21]
You gentlemen are a bad influence. Now I feel compelled to get an inverter style generator.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#22]
You gentlemen are a bad influence. Now I feel compelled to get an inverter style generator.
View Quote
If it wasn't for the fuel shortage that occurred here during Irma, I would have just bought a normal generator.  Since I don't want to store 50 gallons of gas to feed a normal generator for 3-4 days, I considered a more fuel efficient inverter type a must.  If you aren't worried about being able to resupply fuel during an outage, it might not be worth it for you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#23]
View Quote
*GD hands rubbing on temples*
Just relax.  Thaaat's right.  Relax your grip on your wallet.
Breathe out slowly, and feel all that pent-up cash just melt away....
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Don’t you want to be cool?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
You sir have single handedly done more damage to my wallet than any other member on this site and I am extremely thankful.  You need an inverter style generator.  Do It!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By onealphay2k:

You sir have single handedly done more damage to my wallet than any other member on this site and I am extremely thankful.  You need an inverter style generator.  Do It!
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By onealphay2k:

View Quote
This man speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
What was your final price, delivered?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
No balls.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes

$695.98
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Help with some wiring please.

My current 220 VAC dryer plug is this:
Attachment Attached File

The generator connector is this:
Attachment Attached File

It has white, black, red and green wires in the cable.

How do I hook the 4 wires to a 3 wire plug.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By scubadown:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16393/220-2-338145.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16393/220-1-338147.JPG

Thanks
View Quote
Are you trying to backfeed?
Don't.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

Don't.
View Quote
Anybody else with some actual help?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLHX2112] [#34]
Learned something new today. If your Predator does not have enough oil in it, it i will run for about 5 or 6 seconds and then just shut down.

And then you spend a day or so trying to figure out what is wrong, checking everything, until you finally position yourself so you can see the front panel while trying to start the generator and see the Low Oil warning light come in before it
shuts down. Duh......
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#36]
No.

View All Quotes
No.

Up here we have something called winter. It can be below 0 degrees before the windchill.
No furnace is not an option. Water pipes can and will freeze and if they burst it's even worse.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

Don't.
Lol
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By kingoftheroad:
Up here we have something called winter. It can be below 0 degrees before the windchill.
No furnace is not an option. Water pipes can and will freeze and if they burst it's even worse.
View Quote
If you can't backfeed, wood fires, kero heaters, forced and passive; electric heaters, engine warmers and blankets run off the generator.  Judicious use should keep bursting to a minimum.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
If you can't backfeed, wood fires, kero heaters, forced and passive; electric heaters, engine warmers and blankets run off the generator.  Judicious use should keep bursting to a minimum.
View All Quotes
Everyone in a winter zone would laugh at your methods. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Not for backfeeding through the dryer plug itself.

_
The simplest, acceptable, method to "backfeed" the panel is:

- Breaker panel mechanical interlock with breaker dedicated to generator use
- External power inlet dedicated to generator use

Mechanical Interlock for house generator by Dan Passaro, on Flickr

Whole house generator hookup by Dan Passaro, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
I did .
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#42]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16393/220-2-338145.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16393/220-1-338147.JPG

Thanks
View Quote
White and Green are the same for all intents and purposes ..
Should do some reading though as far as the safe way to go about what you are trying to accomplish.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
I don't have a ton of experience, willing to admit, but without a furnace, what would you do?  It sounds like there might be a lack in insulation, maybe older construction?

Inductive heaters on pipes, while letting water run a little?  I do get how shitty ruptured pipes are.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't have a ton of experience, willing to admit, but without a furnace, what would you do?  It sounds like there might be a lack in insulation, maybe older construction?

Inductive heaters on pipes, while letting water run a little?  I do get how shitty ruptured pipes are.
View All Quotes

Without a furnace I suppose you can either try to shut off the water and drain the pipes, or leave to faucets on to keep water flowing.
To put heaters on your pipes probably means removing drywall. I am not sure how many electric heaters you think a small genny would operate.
Some homes will have frozen pipes faster than others depending on construction. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By frankiebagadonuts:
If it wasn't for the fuel shortage that occurred here during Irma, I would have just bought a normal generator.  Since I don't want to store 50 gallons of gas to feed a normal generator for 3-4 days, I considered a more fuel efficient inverter type a must.  If you aren't worried about being able to resupply fuel during an outage, it might not be worth it for you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By frankiebagadonuts:
I already store over 50 gallons of gasoline and 45+ gallons of propane.

I also already have a dual fuel non-inverter generator, a homemade "solar generator" (I hate the term, but googling it will show what I mean) battery pack, an several solar panels ranging from 150w down to 14w.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Without a furnace I suppose you can either try to shut off the water and drain the pipes, or leave to faucets on to keep water flowing.
To put heaters on your pipes probably means removing drywall. I am not sure how many electric heaters you think a small genny would operate.
Some homes will have frozen pipes faster than others depending on construction. 
View Quote
I was envisioning a house similar to mine, with all the pipes in the ceiling of the basement.  Also a smaller house....if w ever run into a deep freeze plus power outage, I can keep my pipes above freezing with a moderate amount of heat in the space..  A slab house or crawl space might not have the same options.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck it, I fent on a Westinghouse WH2200iXLT.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:50:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#48]

View Quote
You OBVIOUSLY have no idea what you're doing.

There's NO WAY to back feed via that 240V outlet because its three prong, there's NO WAY to route a neutral through it.
If you route the neutral through the ground you leave the generator ungrounded.

So the safest advice is don't even try.

If you have no idea what L1,  L2, N and GND are, then you are in over your head.
If you do, then you don't need internet advice.

Jesus, I'm trying to help you smart guy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:00:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CIE] [#49]
My tiny bit of input:

Picked up a 2000 Watt Champion inverter for $460 on Amazon. She purrs real nice. Very quiet and will run the microwave in my camper (something the other small genni's have struggled with). I'm going to pick up another with a parallel kit. Hopefully it'll run my A/C like that.

Back to the HF love fest....
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:31:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#50]
View All Quotes
Which is why people ask for help.

There's NO WAY to back feed via that 240V outlet because its three prong, there's NO WAY to route a neutral through it.
If you route the neutral through the ground you leave the generator ungrounded.
then you post...

If you have no idea what L1,  L2, N and GND are, then you are in over your head.
Ahem. The three prong plug is L1, L2, and Neutral. Neutral is connected to ground at the panel, so except for some special cases, a separate ground wire is superfluous.
Click To View Spoiler
Many/most generators have neutral and ground connected at the generator, so having that extra conductor does nothing other than add weight and cost to your cord. Inverter generators apparently often don't have those bonded, but as described earlier in this thread, it's necessary to bond them together at the generator in some circumstances.

So the connection method is to connect L1 (black) to L1, L2 (red) to L2, and Neutral (white) to Neutral. The ground connection on the generator plug is unused.

As posted many times, there is serious potential hazard in doing what you describe. You must ensure that the house is completely disconnected from the power grid via main breakers or power pole disconnect. There is also a hazard of having lethal live voltage on a male plug, so make sure everything is connected before energizing the cord and/or put a disconnect in the cord assembly. There are safer, but more costly and involved methods of connecting a generator.
Page / 107
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top