Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 105
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Driving home last night at 11PM a huge tree across the road.
No signs, no cones.
Wires on the opposite side of the road all down.

Had to take the other way home.
Got home, went to sleep. (Thank God for the battery backed up garage door opener).  

Woke up this morning, fired up the Hondas, life goes on.
Posting on genny power.
Thanks to this and other threads, I have the knowledge and confidence to take care of this inconvenience.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife got me a Honda 2000w for Christmas. Quite the surprise, was at harbor freight a few months ago and almost bought a 3500w, guess she did some research and that's what I got :-)

Little smaller than what I wanted, but it'll be perfect for car camping.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
No signs, no cones.

Got home, went to sleep. (Thank God for the battery backed up garage door opener).  

Posting on genny power.
Thanks to this and other threads, I have the knowledge and confidence to take care of this inconvenience.
View Quote
8 hours on the Hondas, only needed the two initially.  
Once the coffee pot was off and the refrigerator was down to temp, cycling periodically, I only needed one.

I ran the crock pot all day to cook dinner, TV, internet, satellite DVR, a few lights, the refer and the fireplace insert fan were the only loads.
I cooked on my butane portable.
The fireplace insert was the bomb for heat!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Once the coffee pot was off and the refrigerator was down to temp, cycling periodically, I only needed one.

I ran the crock pot all day to cook dinner, TV, internet, satellite DVR, a few lights, the refer and the fireplace insert fan were the only loads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
No signs, no cones.

Posting on genny power.

Your setup sounds like mine, except I have the champion 2000w. I've been impressed with how much I can run on that little gen, and how little fuel it uses.

Our fireplace insert has been amazing during this cold spell. We've been in the teens at night for a few nights in a row (don't hate, that's cold for us), and my heater hasn't come on at all. Add to that, the oak that I'm burning was free, courtesy of the tornados we had last year .
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
No signs, no cones.

Posting on genny power.
View Quote
Nice!  I feel the same way about this thread.

Could you post the details on your garage door opener battery backup here or send them to me via IM?  I hadn’t thought about that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

Nice!  I feel the same way about this thread.

Could you post the details on your garage door opener battery backup here or send them to me via IM?  I hadn’t thought about that.
View Quote
I have an attic space above my garage.

I tapped into the circuit feeding the garage door opener, and wired an outlet in parallel in that space.
Then I installed a second outlet in the ceiling over the GDO and ran the romex to a J box next to the outlet in the attic.
I installed a cord with a 3 prong plug at that JBox that, when plugged in, energizes that second ceiling outlet.

I tested the amperage draw of my GDO with a Kill-o-Watt to make sure I got a large enough UPS.
I'm using an APC 1000 (or 1500 memory fading) UPS.

The UPS is plugged in to the outlet in the attic, and the cord for the second outlet is plugged into the UPS, the GDO is plugged in to the new outlet.

Essentially I spliced in a UPS in series.
Normal operation the UPS keeps the battery charged and allows the mains power to run the GDO.

Power outage, the UPS can cycle the door about 6-8 times.

So if we come home and the power is out, we can still get in without operating the door manually.
We might not even realize the power is out until we see the lights fail to come on.

If the batteries fail/need replacing, I can run the GDO plugged in to the original outlet while I'm waiting for replacements.

On generator power, I energize that circuit to keep the batteries topped off.

I like using these ready made UPSs for battery backups.
They're self contained, dependable and have the charging and inverter circuitry all in one.
I look for them at Goodwill often.  Usually they just need a battery or two.

I have a small one for our cordless phone handset and answering machine.
The GDO, my automated water shut off valve, the DVR (so it doesn't lose programming) and my NAS and IP cameras (PoE).
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]

I have an attic space above my garage.

I tapped into the circuit feeding the garage door opener, and wired an outlet in parallel in that space.
Then I installed a second outlet in the ceiling over the GDO and ran the romex to a J box next to the outlet in the attic.
I installed a cord with a 3 prong plug at that JBox that, when plugged in, energizes that second ceiling outlet.

I tested the amperage draw of my GDO with a Kill-o-Watt to make sure I got a large enough UPS.
I'm using an APC 1000 (or 1500 memory fading) UPS.

The UPS is plugged in to the outlet in the attic, and the cord for the second outlet is plugged into the UPS, the GDO is plugged in to the new outlet.

Essentially I spliced in a UPS in series.
Normal operation the UPS keeps the battery charged and allows the mains power to run the GDO.

Power outage, the UPS can cycle the door about 6-8 times.

So if we come home and the power is out, we can still get in without operating the door manually.
We might not even realize the power is out until we see the lights fail to come on.

If the batteries fail/need replacing, I can run the GDO plugged in to the original outlet while I'm waiting for replacements.

On generator power, I energize that circuit to keep the batteries topped off.

I like using these ready made UPSs for battery backups.
They're self contained, dependable and have the charging and inverter circuitry all in one.
I look for them at Goodwill often.  Usually they just need a battery or two.

I have a small one for our cordless phone handset and answering machine.
The GDO, my automated water shut off valve, the DVR (so it doesn't lose programming) and my NAS and IP cameras (PoE).
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:

View Quote
Beats voice mail.
My cell lives on the nightstand upstairs.
I might not know I have a message for 3 days if its the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:46:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#9]
From another thread, we have an interesting entry into the inverter generator field.

Ryobi 900W Propane Inverter Generator

Ryobi Propane Powered Generator

Ryobi 700/900 watt propane generator
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
$399
View Quote
Just logged in to post this.  Don't know anything about them though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

Just logged in to post this.  Don't know anything about them though.
View Quote
its GTG, I have one
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
$399
View Quote
Looks identical the to HF models.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#14]
PSA:

The Harbor Freight Predator 2000 Watt Inverter Generator is now at $449 with a discount code, down from $499.  The code is 35137183 and you enter it in your cart or can give it to the clerk at the store.  I didn't see any code for the 3500 Watt model, but I would expect one in the next few weeks.

Hurricane season for the Caribbean begins in April, and goes until November or so.  I suspect there will be enough weather in the affected areas to warrant a surge in demand.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:39:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: onealphay2k] [#15]
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#16]
A lot of these 2k gens seem to have an 80cc motor while the Honda 2k has a 98cc motor.

I have yet to see a non-Honda match the size.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I exercised all my gens yesterday, in prep for the thunderstorm season.  30 minutues with load.  Everything ran well!  One Predator 2000,  one Wen 2000 and one aIpower 12000
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#18]
PSA,

The Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Watt Inverter Generator is currently available for $659.  This is with a coupon that is good until 3-31-18.  The code is 10495801 and you can use it on line, or in the store.

I bought mine before Xmas with a different code for the same price and just told the cashier the code number for the discount.  The list price is currently $729, so you save $70.

I have been very pleased with mine and have run it through an interlock into my breaker panel.  After switching the whole house over to LED bulbs, I can pretty much use everything in the house normally while on the generator.  I don't need AC, or that might be an issue, due to the 3KW the genny provides.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By draver:
PSA,

The Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Watt Inverter Generator is currently available for $659.  This is with a coupon that is good until 3-31-18.  The code is 10495801 and you can use it on line, or in the store.

I bought mine before Xmas with a different code for the same price and just told the cashier the code number for the discount.  The list price is currently $729, so you save $70.

I have been very pleased with mine and have run it through an interlock into my breaker panel.  After switching the whole house over to LED bulbs, I can pretty much use everything in the house normally while on the generator.  I don't need AC, or that might be an issue, due to the 3KW the genny provides.
View Quote
Love mine, got it for the same price.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Bump to keep out of the archives
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:52:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#22]
I seriously need to get my house wired up for a generator.

Only real roadblock to a Predator 3500 is my 220v well pump.

Wonder if I could get a backup battery that puts out 220 just for the well pump, and then recharge the battery from 120 house power....
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:12:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skibane] [#23]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Wonder if I could get a backup battery that puts out 220 just for the well pump, and then recharge the battery from 120 house power....
View Quote
To run your well pump for any significant amount of time, you'd need a pretty large battery bank - and also a true sine wave inverter to convert battery DC to 240VAC.

For the same money (or less), it might make more sense to just buy a second, larger generator instead - and then use it just for powering the occasional big load. For everything else, a smaller, quieter inverter model would suffice.

One of my favorite big racket-makers is the Champion 100296, which occasionally goes on sale for around $600:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/champion-power-equipment-100296-7500-watt-dual-fuel-portable-generator-with-electric-start

(link left cold, due to some funkiness with hot links)

At 7.5 KW continuous, it's big enough to handle most well pumps, has electric start, and is factory-equipped with a dual-fuel option - Not many other models offer those features for anywhere near that price.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
I don't know too much about 'letricity, but my 3 prong plug at the top of page 27 splits the 3 prong generator output plug to feed both sides of my breaker panel.  Could this also provide the power for your pump, or is there a difference between 220v and 240v requirements?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the Predator 3500. I did a 6 circuit transfer switch for mine for "critical" items. Mainly worried about wintertime power loss than summer. To even start my well pump, I was looking at something with 12k+ starting watts and realized I'd rather trade that and the water heater for heat all night from the furnace without having to continually refill it.

It's my belief that lots of people overbuy on a genset that drinks gas/propane when they could get by with something much smaller with better power management and planning ahead.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Just bought a 26ft travel trailer. Need a inverter generator. Anything better value for size and value then predator 3500? Newbie here. Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By astross89:
Just bought a 26ft travel trailer. Need a inverter generator. Anything better value for size and value then predator 3500? Newbie here. Thank you.
View Quote
Are you planning on running the AC?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By otar:

View Quote
Yes. I think it's a 13,500.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:19:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skibane] [#29]
I don't know too much about 'letricity, but my 3 prong plug at the top of page 27 splits the 3 prong generator output plug to feed both sides of my breaker panel.  Could this also provide the power for your pump
View All Quotes
I don't know too much about 'letricity, but my 3 prong plug at the top of page 27 splits the 3 prong generator output plug to feed both sides of my breaker panel.  Could this also provide the power for your pump
Even though your 3 prong plug feeds both sides of your breaker panel, each side is receiving 120 volts from the same single 120 volt output on the generator.

Although this works fine for powering 120 volt loads, it doesn't work with 240 volt loads, because there is no 240 volts present anywhere in the circuit to power them.

Generators with 120/240 volt output have two 120 volt AC outputs, but they are 180 degrees out of phase with each other - Which means that there is also 240 volts between them.

This allows a breaker panel to power 120 volt loads connected to either of the generator's 120 volt outputs, and 240 volt loads connected between both of them.

or is there a difference between 220v and 240v requirements?
220v, 230v and 240v usually mean the same thing - much like 110v, 115v and 120v are all often used to describe the same 120 volt AC power.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
It should be fine for that. But you probably would not want to run the microwave and AC at the same time
while running on it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn, Cabelas had a lot of this thread's favorite generators in stock!
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By otar:

With the A/C your going to need a gen set larger than 2500 watts, so Yup. Your gona need the 3500.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#33]
That's somewhat confusing to me.

My home is 3 floors with a separate furnace, thermostat and AC unit for each level.  The AC units breakers are doubled up and connect to each bus.  I thought this arrangement allowed them to run 240v devices.  The wiring diagrams I saw when configuring the panel for the generator input seemed to imply this also.  Also, how does a clothes dryer suicide cable feed a whole house when it's plugged into a generator that only outputs 120v ?   I really don't know, but any source material you could provide would be helpful.

Here is a link that describes what concept I have been operating on.

L14-30 120v/240v Cable
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#34]

My home is 3 floors with a separate furnace, thermostat and AC unit for each level.  The AC units breakers are doubled up and connect to each bus.  I thought this arrangement allowed them to run 240v devices.
View All Quotes

My home is 3 floors with a separate furnace, thermostat and AC unit for each level.  The AC units breakers are doubled up and connect to each bus.  I thought this arrangement allowed them to run 240v devices.
Any appliance that is powered through dual ganged breakers has both 120v (using either of the 120v legs) and 240v (using both legs together) available for it to use.

Usually, the power-hungry devices in an appliance (i.e., things like AC compressors, heating elements in electric ovens, water heaters, etc.) are connected to receive 240v.

However, the appliance manufacturer may also run a few other, less-power-hungry devices (fan motors, thermostat transformers, etc.) from one of the 120v legs.

So, if you attempt to operate these appliances from a generator that only has a single 120v output, only the devices in the appliance that operate on 120v will work.

Also, how does a clothes dryer suicide cable feed a whole house when it's plugged into a generator that only outputs 120v ?
Again, it will only work with the things in the house that operate on 120v.

In order to power every device in your house (regardless of whether it operates on 120v or 240v), you'll need a generator that produces both 120 and 240 volts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:37:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#35]

My home is 3 floors with a separate furnace, thermostat and AC unit for each level.  The AC units breakers are doubled up and connect to each bus.  I thought this arrangement allowed them to run 240v devices.  The wiring diagrams I saw when configuring the panel for the generator input seemed to imply this also.  Also, how does a clothes dryer suicide cable feed a whole house when it's plugged into a generator that only outputs 120v ?   I really don't know, but any source material you could provide would be helpful.

L14-30 120v/240v Cable
View Quote
If the generator doesn't output 240VAC, you're not powering any 240VAC devices.
The thing a suicide or bridging cable gives you is 120V to both legs of the panel from a single 120V generator.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#36]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

Any appliance that is powered through dual ganged breakers has both 120v (using either of the 120v legs) and 240v (using both legs together) available for it to use.
View Quote
Not Always.
It may be 240VAC only.

It has to be 4 wire, with a neutral, to have 120V available.

Stoves, dryers, ovens are usually 120V/240V because they have displays,lights and timers that operate on 120V or from a transformer on the 120V side.

Something like a water heater,HVAC motor, table saw, is usually 3 wire 240V only.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:48:10 AM EDT
[#37]

L14-30 120v/240v Cable
View Quote
You need to learn how 240 is split to make 120. If you cannot grasp that concept, you have no business wiring up a generator.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:48:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Not Always.
It may be 240VAC only.

Stoves, dryers, ovens are usually 120V/240V because they have displays,lights and timers that operate on 120V or from a transformer on the 120V side.

Something like a water heater,HVAC motor, table saw, is usually 3 wire 240V only.
View Quote
Better check that...
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Better check that...
View All Quotes

Not Always.
It may be 240VAC only.

Better check that...
He's right. Check your light in the oven. It's 120v.
Most all the safety circuits and the controller board (if equipped)  run off one side.

Random picture from the net showing lamp is 120v.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
We ordered our last TT without the standard 13,500BTU 14.5 Amp draw AC and installed a Coleman 13,500 BTU 10 Amp draw Mach III PS (Power Saver) in it's place. Just remove the standard centrally located crank up ceiling vent and the capped off wiring is already pre wired. Set down the top gasket then the roof unit on top of it and from the inside screw it down then wire up the control/vent unit. 2 hour job tops. Now you can have an A/C unit that easily runs off a little 2000 Watt genny.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Better check that...
View All Quotes

Better check that...
Checked.
Confirmed.
All 4 wire.

Note highlighted word.

Any different input?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
i just set it to never archive.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AKCory762:
Bump to keep out of the archives
Good deal!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
Sweet
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
That's my only real issue for our new house but I'm keeping my eyes open for a good cheap used full power genny with 240 so I can run water and fill the pressure tank then jump back over to the smaller invertor ones
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like CAT is in the game now

Attachment Attached File

https://shop.cat.com/en/usa/522-2700
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#47]
The Quip All is down to $380 shipped.

The best deal we had several months ago was $330.
Worth watching.  Currently out of stock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quip-All-2-200-Watt-Gas-Portable-Inverter-Generator-CARB-2200I-New/282715899518?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Might be finally putting my HF 3500w inverter to work tomorrow.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/IS-IT-HAPPENING-East-coast-nor-easter-thread/5-2087100/
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
Might be finally putting my HF 3500w inverter to work tomorrow.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/IS-IT-HAPPENING-East-coast-nor-easter-thread/5-2087100/
View Quote
And...it’s running, powering the fridge, internet/phone UPS, and charging phones.  Quiet and started right off.  Power has been out for hours.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#50]
$206 in the warehouse
Amazon Product
  • For use with any portable generator that has up to 30-amp output, nema L1430
  • Double throw rocker switches absolutely eliminate the possibility of power back feeding to the utility line or to your generator when power is restored
  • 2 pole circuits allows 240-volt circuits - perfect for well or sump pump applications, if a two pole circuit is not needed, the tie bar can be removed to allow for two single pole circuits

Page / 105
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top