Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 107
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Also cheap in the warehouse

Amazon Product
  • Safe Power - When the power goes out, plug your portable generator into the power inlet box, start the generator and flip the switch. No individual extension cords
  • Simple Installation - The pre-wired transfer switch and detachable power inlet makes for easy wiring to existing structure (Professional installation recommended)
  • Residential or Commercial Use - Durable powder-coated steel cabinet with 1 in. interchangeable circuit breakers; AFCI and GFCI - breaker compatible. Indoor rated only

Link Posted: 3/3/2018 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Ordered a Raptor 2000 in anticipation of the upcoming hurricane season; currently they are $50 off. I’ll use it to compliment my loud as f_ck 5kw.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
3500W Harbor Freight $660 now.  How does that compare to earlier?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
View Quote
I think they were $679 on Black Friday. FO hard at that price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:
http://view.harborfreightemail.com/?qs=fa3d19c2ab31e4bae6cb9346fe7c2d75e57c5fbf7b143ed122ca98fd205932630adaaa1fb6d3c5f34b290d7fd28f44d85b313af7607e920776ce06e13061aa3ae2495049ae5bf0ad0db1feaac0e2bb82
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 1:46:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Damnitall....

This rig was $299 up until sometime tonight....missed it....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-XP4850EH-Hybrid-Portable-Dual-Fuel-Propane-Gas-Camping-RV-Generator-/171503114601
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Use the ebay 20% off anything coupon.

I got the Ryobi 900W for $265 shipped.

PSPRING20
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 12:09:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gage] [#9]
Use the ebay 20% off anything coupon.

I got the Ryobi 900W for $265 shipped.

PSPRING20
View Quote
I thought it expired at 8pm. No?

ETA: 8pm PST. Too close to make a purchase I guess.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 1:13:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Gage:

I thought it expired at 8pm. No?

ETA: 8pm PST. Too close to make a purchase I guess.
View Quote
Wow!  I guess I just got in under the wire.

Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#11]
$254.15 Shipped.  Still a few left at the $299 Shipped price on eBay.  Use the eBay App and code "GETTHEAPP" for 15% off.

DuroMax XP4850EH Hybrid Portable Dual Fuel Propane / Gas Camping RV Generator

Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:22:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#12]
Originally Posted By otar:

He's right. Check your light in the oven. It's 120v.
Most all the safety circuits and the controller board (if equipped)  run off one side.

http://www.applianceaid.com/images/geediagram.JPG

Random picture from the net showing lamp is 120v.
View Quote
I was referring to the 120/240 vac terminology. The appliances are 240 vac, and the 120 lamp is tacked across the neutral or ground ["safety"] leg.

Problem is, in some 3 wire range connections, the return [neutral] for the 120 vac light is the GROUND wire!!! [IIRC]

I installed new LG dishwasher, refrig [what a beast! double doors opening it is like walking into a nice storage room], dish washer, and range last year, and the wiring instructions for the stove allow for both 3 and 4 wire [w/ or without a neutral+ground conx].

On second thought, I'll verify this to determine if a 3 wire range outlet 'cold' wire goes to neutral or ground bus in the panel. I never understood how a 3 wire range conx was allowed.

As a kid, we usually got zapped when touching the sink and the range at the same time. Not sure if it had to be turned on. Most of us learned quickly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:37:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#13]
I stand corrected.

In the LG manual, for a 3 wire connection, they reference the return wire from the range be connected to "neutral or ground".

The diagrams I've found from a brief search of 3 wire connections, the 'return' wire is connected to the neutral bus. [I'll bet a lot go to the grounding bus]

Fortunately, 3 wire connections are not approved for new work.

The issue in my mind, is that the NEUTRAL is connected to the frame of the range. [Of course ground and neutral are bonded in the main panel.] Often there is just one little green screw that connects the neutral bus to ground in the panel to bond the two.

This has always been disconcerting to me from a safety POV.

Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By onealphay2k:
$254.15 Shipped.  Still a few left at the $299 Shipped price on eBay.  Use the eBay App and code "GETTHEAPP" for 15% off.

DuroMax XP4850EH Hybrid Portable Dual Fuel Propane / Gas Camping RV Generator

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rDcAAOSw-uhaXlDE/s-l1600.jpg
View Quote
Quick question how do cut down the ebay link to hot link here? Every time I hotlink an e-bay link here its really long and the forum doesn't take it?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#15]
Brief story time abt 'hots and grounds' --and gun related.

In our basement, my Father had a saw table that accepted his Sears skill saw.

As a 12 YO, I bought my first pistol, a .22 Ruger Single Six and was resting it on the saw table to shoot across the basement to a block of wood and target.

I took up a position in my bare feet, across the table and rested the gun and made contact to it, the saw had a short to the frame, and was plugged in.

It took everything I had not to pull the trigger and hit the hot water tank, [wouldn't have hurt it likely] and break free having grabbed the table with left hand.

OWWW!

I was pissed at my father for leaving a 'trap' like that. I considered it a very valuable lesson for future life.

Oh- Here's another, that the Hams can relate to. My Father had one of those WW2 tank HF/VHF transceivers [SRC something?], mostly made in Canada and used all over the world.  Neat radio, particularly the design of the HF transmitter antenna matching inductors.

I was about 6, and was crawling up on the work bench in the basement, the radio was up there and there was a home built, unenclosed power supply with abt 600 vdc on the tops of the capacitors.

It was plugged in on the top shelf and I stuck my hand on it to pull myself up.

Next thing I knew I was on the floor against the big round coal -converted to oil- furnace.

LOL!!

We wonder why modern day Snowflakes grow up to be such Pussified Whimps...

Now they make outlets with inserts so folks don't stick their pinkies in them...

Sad...

Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know how often they put the predator 3500 on sale?  I am going to get one but I would like to save the 40 bucks,  its 699 right now but sometimes it goes on sale for 659.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By realwar:

Quick question how do cut down the ebay link to hot link here? Every time I hotlink an e-bay link here its really long and the forum doesn't take it?
View Quote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/171503114601?rmvSB=true
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
I stand corrected.

In the LG manual, for a 3 wire connection, they reference the return wire from the range be connected to "neutral or ground".

The diagrams I've found from a brief search of 3 wire connections, the 'return' wire is connected to the neutral bus. [I'll bet a lot go to the grounding bus]

Fortunately, 3 wire connections are not approved for new work.

The issue in my mind, is that the NEUTRAL is connected to the frame of the range. [Of course ground and neutral are bonded in the main panel.] Often there is just one little green screw that connects the neutral bus to ground in the panel to bond the two.

This has always been disconcerting to me from a safety POV.

http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/images/fourwirerange.jpg
View Quote
You mean like this?
Attachment Attached File

The braided insulated wires are from the electric cooktop.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:18:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#19]
Nice!

Professional job, note the yellow tape and correct wire nut sizing to match the brightest [red] wire.

No Snowflake did that!
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By onealphay2k:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171503114601?rmvSB=true
View Quote
When I try to do it my browser shows a long ass link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-XP4850EH-Hybrid-Portable-Dual-Fuel-Propane-Gas-Camping-RV-Generator/171503114601?epid=203718508&hash=item27ee61d969:g:rDcAAOSw-uhaXlDE
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 3:18:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#21]
Wen 2000w $389

Amazon/Woot here

Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I finally got to use my HF 3500 inverter a month ago.  We had a pretty bad windstorm and of course, our numerous overhead power lines took a hit from all of the trees going down.  I used it about 36 hours and it was flawless, except for me knocking the little strainer/filter on the fuel tank into the fuel tank with the goddamn EPA-friendly nozzle on one of my gas cans, but that didn't hurt its operation.  I need to fish that out.  I ran the fridge, chest freezer, some lights, some chargers, wifi router/modem/UPS, and TV with media player off of it.  I definitely had power to spare.  I am very pleased with this purchase and can recommend it to others.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Nice!

Professional job, note the yellow tape and correct wire nut sizing to match the brightest [red] wire.

No Snowflake did that!
View Quote
don't forget the electrical tape around the metal flex instead of a nut to keep it in place....That's the way I found it before I replaced it with a gas cooktop.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
I finally got to use my HF 3500 inverter a month ago.  We had a pretty bad windstorm and of course, our numerous overhead power lines took a hit from all of the trees going down.  I used it about 36 hours and it was flawless, except for me knocking the little strainer/filter on the fuel tank into the fuel tank with the goddamn EPA-friendly nozzle on one of my gas cans, but that didn't hurt its operation.  I need to fish that out.  I ran the fridge, chest freezer, some lights, some chargers, wifi router/modem/UPS, and TV with media player off of it.  I definitely had power to spare.  I am very pleased with this purchase and can recommend it to others.
View Quote
Any idea how much fuel you used during that time?
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Are you going through an interlock into the panel or using a bunch of extension cords?
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
Any idea how much fuel you used during that time?
View Quote
I think about 2/3rds of a tank during a 12 hour period, that's all I measured.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By gman82001:
Are you going through an interlock into the panel or using a bunch of extension cords?
View Quote
The latter, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#28]
broke mine out and used it yesterday,  ran my 15K btu AC on the rv with no problem once I added the hard start kit,  here is a pro tip,  unplug the camper before you mess with the AC,  ,  very impressed with how quiet the generator is,  I got the year warranty and wish I would have gotten the two year.

changed the oil at 3 hours then again at 8 hours and it has mobile 1 in it now.  I broke it in with supertech 10/30 and now that it has about 15 hours on it I put the vtwin mobile one oil in it.  since those are air cooled I figured it would be better than the regular oil
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By my2Dogs:
broke mine out and used it yesterday,  ran my 15K btu AC on the rv with no problem once I added the hard start kit,  here is a pro tip,  unplug the camper before you mess with the AC,  ,  very impressed with how quiet the generator is,  I got the year warranty and wish I would have gotten the two year.

changed the oil at 3 hours then again at 8 hours and it has mobile 1 in it now.  I broke it in with supertech 10/30 and now that it has about 15 hours on it I put the vtwin mobile one oil in it.  since those are air cooled I figured it would be better than the regular oil
View Quote
The 'hard start kit'... just a capacitor? Or did you get the Dometic Smart Start, or the Micro-Air EasyStart?

I ordered a hard start cap, but haven't done anything with it yet. I will probably give it a try first.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:

The 'hard start kit'... just a capacitor? Or did you get the Dometic Smart Start, or the Micro-Air EasyStart?

I ordered a hard start cap, but haven't done anything with it yet. I will probably give it a try first.
View Quote
I got the supco sp6 and just plugged it in to the run capacitor it was 10 dollars from amazon,  I have not looked into the other item you mentioned,  I can provide a picture if you need one.  very pleased with the 10 dollars I spent,  I go to the nascar race in charlotte,  I have a 5500 watt generator that has trouble in the summer keeping up,  so it will be nice to see if the predator can run,  the troybilt genny is freaking loud,  I hate running that thing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I got the supco sp6 and just plugged it in to the run capacitor it was 10 dollars from amazon,  I have not looked into the other item you mentioned,  I can provide a picture if you need one.  very pleased with the 10 dollars I spent,  I go to the nascar race in charlotte,  I have a 5500 watt generator that has trouble in the summer keeping up,  so it will be nice to see if the predator can run,  the troybilt genny is freaking loud,  I hate running that thing.
View Quote
I have one of the Supco caps... if I can remember where I put it. The AC in my camper is a Dometic CoolCat. It's either 5000 or 8000BTU. I can start/run it off of my 2200W Westinghouse gen, but not if I set it to eco throttle. I kinda hope the cap can help with that. If not, the SmartStart and EasyStart doohickeys are supposed to be able to drastically reduce the compressor starting current spike.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey guys / gals in the know, I have read if you have two inverter generators you can run them parallel,  my question is I have a HF 3500 watt generator and a Yamaha 2400 inverter gen,  can these be connected to run as one?  Or is there two big of a gap between the wattage? They are both inverter generators.  I have an RV I would like to use them both on,  the one 3500 will run the ac but I would like the extra to cover other uses like micro or anything else I may need to use.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#33]
^^Can't speak to that particular generator combination, but not all brands of inverter generators use the same scheme for paralleling them.

A lot of the Chinese clones seem to have copied Honda's scheme, but not all of them - For example, Champion uses a completely different scheme in their 2000i series.

OTOH, some schemes allow for paralleling different-sized generators of the same brand.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey guys / gals in the know, I have read if you have two inverter generators you can run them parallel,  my question is I have a HF 3500 watt generator and a Yamaha 2400 inverter gen,  can these be connected to run as one?  Or is there two big of a gap between the wattage? They are both inverter generators.  I have an RV I would like to use them both on,  the one 3500 will run the ac but I would like the extra to cover other uses like micro or anything else I may need to use.
View Quote
Probably not.

Usually you'd need two identical generators and the manufacturer's parallel kit. They need to be able to sync up the AC waveform, and different manufacturers may do it in different ways.

So if you got a parallel connector that would connect both generators it could

1. work
2. not work
3. blow shit up
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#35]
UPDATE to my question,  today I was bored so I played with the stuff I got yesterday,  went to lowes and picked up the items to make a "dead mans cord"  I saw a video on YT how to make it,  the subjects were a Yamaha 2400i inverter genny and a HF 3500 predator,  I plugged the two males into the outlets then started the predator first then the Yamaha,  I couldn't get the AC to come on because its 60 here,  but I was able to run the microwave at 1000 watts for a min and run the fan in the rv.  when it gets warmer I will try it again.

so just  in case you were wondering yes you can do it,  wont know any ill effects till I put a good load on them both.  planning on going to the race this year and if it works out it will be so much quieter than the troy bilt 5500 I have been using,  that thing is terribly loud.

I can turn them both on go in the coach and not hear them,  and they are only 10 feet from the camper,  maybe a slight hummmm both nothing like the loud troy bilt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Anyone seen a coupon for the HF 2000W?  Weren't these $380ish at one point?  $500 on the website today.
View Quote
Damn, that’s too high.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 1:58:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krauss] [#38]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Anyone seen a coupon for the HF 2000W?  Weren't these $380ish at one point?  $500 on the website today.
View Quote
The 3500W is listed on sale at $699. Prices went up

Mid thread i think they had coupons for $399
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By AKCory762:

View Quote
Prices spiking prior to hurricane season?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Originally Posted By AKCory762:

No, the 3500w inverters were never lower than $649.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#41]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#43]
I don't know why the link isn't working.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Supposed big genny sale
View Quote
Link isn't coming up, but HF shows relevant generators on sale. The 3500 is on sale for $699, the 2000 $449.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Link isn't coming up, but HF shows relevant generators on sale. The 3500 is on sale for $699, the 2000 $449.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got one OP, paid $425.00 for it last summer.  I use it for running my RV.  Pretty quiet but it will
trip the breaker if I put a load less than 2000 watts on, an electric skillet for example.  That's a little
disappointing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#47]
What about Honda’s new 2200 generator?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes

http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/1967_ITEM_3500_WATT_SUPER_QUIET_INVERTER_GENERATOR_1523023023.7984.jpg
Dang I should have waited,  I got mine for 699.  And added one year warranty.

I should buy two they are so quiet,  I start mine when I cut the grass and let it run till I am done.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:46:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#49]
Did anyone get one of these?  I did, and may have been drinking when I ordered it.   Got sent to my colorado house while I’m in Florida for the winter.  They were only 280.00 during the ebay sale.

I’ll get some use out of it this summer and fall in camp and update with a report.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#50]
I need a generator which led me to this thread. Arfcom rides again.

I think the Predator 2000 fits the bill, but at $499 a little more than I want to spend. All I am trying to run is a small portable A/C unit for our tent. Summer can be brutal here, and there are some amazing campsites along the river with no power.

This one gets high marks, fits my needs, and I can carry it with one hand. Just like to spend less. Wonder how often they go on sale?
Page / 107
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top