Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#1]
For extended run tanks for the HF generator would it be possible to add a pluse pump?  YouTube has go kart builders adding them To the predator engines because of tank locations.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#2]
So I did my first trip in my camper this past weekend. Towed it down to the beach at Corpus Christi, TX on Thursday, and stayed that night and Friday night. I came home Saturday night (I work nights, and it was better for me to get back late at night than early the next morning).

I ran my Westinghouse 2200W generator while there, and had a few issues. The generator is powerful enough to run the 13500BTU AC, and with the Easy Start, it really did start easily. I could leave the generator in it's ECO mode, and it ramped up fine when the AC compressor started. I also got an extended run kit for it from genxdirect.com, however I ordered the kit with the cap for a Westinghouse iGen 2200, which is apparently a different cap. Shit. Luckily I got it a week before the trip. I found that my generator uses the same cap as a Honda generator, so I found one on Amazon and ordered it. Got it in on Monday and the connectors with the kit threaded right in to it. Good.

Thursday night, I set the generator up and put the extended run cap on it, and had the tank on the ground a couple feet away from the generator. I started it up in the evening and it ran for about 5 hours before it died. I went outside and tried to restart the generator. After pulling a few times with no joy, I checked the cap, disconnected the hose to it, and felt that it was wet, so there was gas getting through it, at least enough that it was wet. Tried starting the generator again after putting the cap on and reconnecting the line. It ran for about another hour. Repeated this a couple more times. It seems the suction is not enough to draw enough fuel through the line, and it eventually starved the carburetor and killed the engine.

The next day, I picked up a folding table at WalMart to put the tank on, so it is above the generator - siphon effect should have alleviated the problem. Well, the generator quit a few times that night, too, although only once did it seem that the carburetor had dried up. I noticed after daylight that the gasket in the cheapo cap had ripped apart. I figure that maybe probably contributed to the issues - maybe it was leaking enough pressure that it couldn't draw fuel through the line? I had checked the line and the pickup in the extended tank. No obstructions, the line was clear, I could blow through it. The cap was clear...

So I ran the generator on its own fuel that afternoon, with its original cap. It ended up dying once, for no apparent reason.

I had changed the oil in it before the trip (as an aside, it seems like very little old oil came out when I drained it. It doesn't take a lot, but it did seem like less - the low oil light was not coming on so it shouldn't have been too low) and made sure it started OK.

I've been considering selling this generator to get the iGen 2500 so I can have a little more overhead (compensate for higher altitudes if needed)... but now I'm considering just getting the Predator 3500.

One of the kickers is that I want to be able to reliably run it all night long to power the AC. I think the Predator would do it on just its own tank, but would like to use the extended tank I have currently. Does anyone know what cap it uses? If it's the Honda cap, I'll get a good one from the place I got the kit from.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure it uses a different cap than the Honda.  I have been looking for a cap for my 3500, and have not found anything other than the $80+ ones on Ebay.  Pretty disappointed that no one has this for near the prices of the Honda and other brands.  I have an aux boat tank that I'd like to use, but I'm not paying that kind of money for a gas cap.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
So I did my first trip in my camper this past weekend. Towed it down to the beach at Corpus Christi, TX on Thursday, and stayed that night and Friday night. I came home Saturday night (I work nights, and it was better for me to get back late at night than early the next morning).
View Quote
Are you using a primer bulb on the line?

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:30:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matthew_Q] [#5]
Originally Posted By lowcountry:
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
Are you using a primer bulb on the line?

http://cdn7.bigcommerce.com/s-spbt1iufd1/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2774/2197/quicksilver-primer-bulb-assembly-210000002314__32456.1529636557.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on&imbypass=on
No, the genxdirect one does not have a primer bulb. Per their demos, it shouldn't need one. The video I saw on them setting one up says that the generator should start drawing fuel through the line in about 20 minutes... so my generator ran for about 5 hours the first time, it must have been drawing something through.

I do seriously think the first night issues were due to the external tank being on the ground. The next night, I think the cap gasket being ripped was probably screwing with the seal, so it was likely leaking enough air to prevent drawing fuel in. Also, I haven't pulled the spark plug yet, but it's the original one the generator came with. Probably 50-60 hours on the genset now. I'm wondering if a shitty plug contributed to it dying a few times.

I really think I'll be selling that generator and getting the Predator 3500. I'll keep the external tank and such... will need to find out what kind of cap works on that generator, tho!
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I did a new Ebay search today for the Predator 3500 siphon gas cap and found one for "Only" $55.  If I could find a replacement from Harbor Freight or whoever else markets the same unit, I'd drill it out and seal the internal venting myself.  What really pisses me off is the Predator version looks almost identical to the $15 Honda cap.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By draver:
I did a new Ebay search today for the Predator 3500 siphon gas cap and found one for "Only" $55.  If I could find a replacement from Harbor Freight or whoever else markets the same unit, I'd drill it out and seal the internal venting myself.  What really pisses me off is the Predator version looks almost identical to the $15 Honda cap.
View Quote
If I get the Predator, I have that cheap cap with the messed up gasket. I could see if it fits. If it does, we'd know it's the same as the Honda EU2000i gensets.

Might be a bit before I get the new generator, though. I don't have any trips planned in the camper until probably September.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:33:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigJayA] [#8]
Originally Posted By draver:
View Quote
Ill pull mine off this afternoon and take some closeups with a tape measure if itll help. Ive been looking at those kits myself and will probably spring for one before too long.

Eta:

Eta2:

Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#9]
FYI

Woot.com has a WEN 2000-Watt Inverter Generator for $384.99 (+$5 s/h) Woot.com main page

Woot deals are only good for one day or until they run out of it today, so decide soon if you want one.

Woot is now owned by Amazon, so it's not a small company if you're concerned about that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:15:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMPEBRFAN] [#10]
Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:
FYI

Woot.com has a WEN 2000-Watt Inverter Generator for $384.99 (+$5 s/h) Woot.com main page

Woot deals are only good for one day or until they run out of it today, so decide soon if you want one.

Woot is now owned by Amazon, so it's not a small company if you're concerned about that.
View Quote
Looks like a good deal, I fo'd. Free shipping for Prime members but I got hit with sales tax for Florida.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I just fent on the Wen too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 6:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigJayA] [#12]
Got 25' and 50' extension cords in 10ga. Now i need to find a window ac that draws no more than 15 amps. Once i finish building the shed thatll keep my gen safe from rains ill drive a ground rod in next to it and get a cable to hook it all up. Then its the damn near $200 extended run kit and the hoarding of fuel. Shit is expensive but im having a ball knowing that i wont be sweating my ass off without power after the next big storm.

Ill eventually have to get a regular generator to run the well and water heater. May even spring for the tankless gas powered water heater.

Eta: 15amp seems to be the standard for power outlets. Im taking this to mean that any window unit that runs on 120v will be able to be powered by my predator 3500. Im no electric person though so if any of this sounds fucky...
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BigJayA:

Eta: 15amp seems to be the standard for power outlets. Im taking this to mean that any window unit that runs on 120v will be able to be powered by my predator 3500. Im no electric person though so if any of this sounds fucky...
View Quote
Most units are made to run on 15A. It depends on what else you have running on that circuit. A 20A will give you a better margin of safety on startup, so to speak.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:29:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Most units are made to run on 15A. It depends on what else you have running on that circuit. A 20A will give you a better margin of safety on startup, so to speak.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rcav8r:

After a bit more research i think its a moot issue. Seems the price for window ac units takes a step up after 12000btu. For the size cost ill probably end up with an 8000 or 10000 which will be easily managed by my 3500 and a 50' 10ga cable.

Thanks for the info though. My reading and your confirmation have me thinking of buying a meter and checking my trailers wiring. A cheap job may be worth re running or at least cause me to change where everything is plugged in.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Not too long ago, I saw a comment on Reddit from a guy that fit larger and better wheels/tires to his HF 3500w inverter, does anyone here have data on that?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
Not too long ago, I saw a comment on Reddit from a guy that fit larger and better wheels/tires to his HF 3500w inverter, does anyone here have data on that?
View Quote
There’s a lot on eBay, the seller makes em for different models.

They are a pretty penny though
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tinythief:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tinythief:
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

Yeah, hoping for a DIY solution.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

I think with hurricane season coming there might not be a lot of smoking deals like we saw this winter, like that pulsar 2000 I got for under 300.

But before I found it, I was going to buy a used one.  Found a lot of Chinese knockoffs just like the ones in this thread, in the 2k watt range for 300 or so.  Craigslist and pawnshops.   Arfcom saved me, and I got a deal on the pulsar.
View Quote
@dvcer
How ,uch have you run the pulsar?  Happy with it?  Looking at one right now for $350.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By APBullet:
For extended run tanks for the HF generator would it be possible to add a pluse pump?  YouTube has go kart builders adding them To the predator engines because of tank locations.
View Quote
I found a site where someone added one to a Champion 3100, which is what I have.  I'm planning to add one.  I'll post a link later.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Would these small 2kw inverter generators be safe to use on a small balcony that has normal siding on three sides and is all screen on the back side with a roof?

Thinking probably not, but what if I position the generator's muffler as close to the screen as possible?
Maybe place a box fan in front of the generator?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#21]
For that matter anyone else have a pulsar?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
Would these small 2kw inverter generators be safe to use on a small balcony that has normal siding on three sides and is all screen on the back side with a roof?

Thinking probably not, but what if I position the generator's muffler as close to the screen as possible?
Maybe place a box fan in front of the generator?
View Quote
Still goes against conventional advice.  You could get a carbon dioxide meter/detector/alarm and test your theory.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By j97531:

Still goes against conventional advice.  You could get a carbon dioxide meter/detector/alarm and test your theory.
View Quote
Yep. I was planning on mounting a CM detector directly above or beside the door that leads back into the condo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By j97531:

@dvcer
How ,uch have you run the pulsar?  Happy with it?  Looking at one right now for $350.
View Quote
I have only put the oil in and run it for 3 hours.  Tested several loads and it worked fine.  It will not run the AC in my camper, nor did I expect it to.   Seems as well built as can be at that price.   Mine starts easy, and I found a local station with ethanol free gas to use in it.
Very quiet even at load.
350 would be a fair price.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
I found a site where someone added one to a Champion 3100, which is what I have.  I'm planning to add one.  I'll post a link later.
View All Quotes
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/extend-gen-inverter-run-time-108579.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:07:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Standard campground outlets are 3,600 watts, correct?

The 3,500 watt Predator should run an average travel trailer?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/extend-gen-inverter-run-time-108579.html
I watched the video and it looks like you have to have the extra tank connected when running off the original tank. If not it would drain through the outside fitting where the external hose connects. Maybe an extra gas valve would work. Thanks for the video.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SUPERSPORT:
Standard campground outlets are 3,600 watts, correct?

The 3,500 watt Predator should run an average travel trailer?
View Quote
Yep, unless you have a second AC.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Took my Ryobi 2300w/1800w camping this weekend and could not power my electric griddle.  It's about 2ft by 1ft, no idea on wattage.  Overloaded the unit just by itself.

It did keep my mini fridge going on full blast.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DTIguy:
Took my Ryobi 2300w/1800w camping this weekend and could not power my electric griddle.  It's about 2ft by 1ft, no idea on wattage.  Overloaded the unit just by itself.
View Quote
At least 1500W and likely actually pulling more.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
Iron griddle, campfire...or HF 3500w inverter
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone have experience with Firman generators? Im looking at a duel fuel 7500 watt and plan to add a transfer switch to tie into the panel. My local Costco has this in stock for $649.

Firman Power Dual Fuel Generator 7500 Running Watts

Link
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
did you try the generator with any economy mode off, so it doesn't idle down? with some items that do sudden loads, like the coils of the griddle turning on to keep the temp up, if the generator had idled down, the sudden load might be more than the generator idle up will handle before the overload trips

also, you could also get a watt meter and measure the current the griddle uses.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Is the new Sam’s Club Sua2300i the new version of the Harbor Freight 2000? It is on sale for $399
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
Is the new Sam’s Club Sua2300i the new version of the Harbor Freight 2000? It is on sale for $399
View Quote
http://www.a-ipower.com/product/sua2300i-digital-inverter-gasoline-generator/
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Been doing some reading on the HF3500 inverter with the extended run, and apparently the tank is vented. That would explain me repriming and getting gas on the ground when using mine in Ohio. The fix is to clamp the vent to the tank so that as the tank drains, it doesnt break the siphon and pulls from the elevated tank.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
is it part of the saturday sale?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#38]
In the flyer I just received.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
http://www.a-ipower.com/product/sua2300i-digital-inverter-gasoline-generator/
Same engine CC, it a little lighter and claims to be quieter than the HF unit.  For the price it seems like a good deal and it comes with the parallel kit and 30 amp plug.

This looks handy:

Link Posted: 7/28/2018 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:
Been doing some reading on the HF3500 inverter with the extended run, and apparently the tank is vented. That would explain me repriming and getting gas on the ground when using mine in Ohio. The fix is to clamp the vent to the tank so that as the tank drains, it doesnt break the siphon and pulls from the elevated tank.
View Quote
I have a 3500 and would like to review that info.  Could you post  a link or website where you read that?

My observation is that the cap is vented internally and therefore you can't just drill it to add an input for the siphon connection.  If there is a physical vent elsewhere and the cap provides a seal it might be possible to attach an external tank to the vent itself.  Ebay has ported caps for the 3500 now for around $55 for the cheapest ones.  That would seem ineffective if there was a vent elsewhere in the fuel system.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Today I finally pulled out my predator 3500 for some loving. Its the first time its been started in about 3 weeks and its running kind of rough.  Only 3 hours on the clock but i changed the oil anyway, refilled with clean oil, ran it again for a minute and then drained and refilled again. Still running rough so i replaced the stock spark plug with an ngk after verifying the gap was correct. Still running rough so i pulled the foam air filter. It was clean so i reinstalled and put it all back together and let it run with a light load for about 20 minutes but it never smoothed out. I suspect that in these past few weeks condensation has put a lot of water in the only half full tank. I put a bunch of startron in and plan to try running it again tomorrow. If its still rough i will try to drain the fuel out of the tank, though im not sure exactly how ill be doing that. Anyone have any ideas other than contaminated fuel?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Today I finally pulled out my predator 3500 for some loving. Its the first time its been started in about 3 weeks and its running kind of rough.  Only 3 hours on the clock but i changed the oil anyway, refilled with clean oil, ran it again for a minute and then drained and refilled again. Still running rough so i replaced the stock spark plug with an ngk after verifying the gap was correct. Still running rough so i pulled the foam air filter. It was clean so i reinstalled and put it all back together and let it run with a light load for about 20 minutes but it never smoothed out. I suspect that in these past few weeks condensation has put a lot of water in the only half full tank. I put a bunch of startron in and plan to try running it again tomorrow. If its still rough i will try to drain the fuel out of the tank, though im not sure exactly how ill be doing that. Anyone have any ideas other than contaminated fuel?
View Quote
Run it a while.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:10:22 AM EDT
[#43]
ive got 68 hours on my 35K  have done nothing but change the oil after 8 hours,  I will change the oil again tomorrow,  I have been running mobile one 10w30 in it since new.  I really like how quiet this little guy is,  and it powers my 15K AC on the RV.

this year at the race in charlotte I will get to run my AC at night finally.  I have a troy bilt that is just terrible noise wise.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
I can't find my manual but I thought it called for 10w40?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Originally Posted By my2Dogs:
ive got 68 hours on my 35K  have done nothing but change the oil after 8 hours,  I will change the oil again tomorrow,  I have been running mobile one 10w30 in it since new.  I really like how quiet this little guy is,  and it powers my 15K AC on the RV.

this year at the race in charlotte I will get to run my AC at night finally.  I have a troy bilt that is just terrible noise wise.
I can't find my manual but I thought it called for 10w40?
https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/63000-63999/63584.pdf

10W30.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#46]
The Quipall 2200W is down to $369

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quipall-2-200-Watt-Gas-Portable-Inverter-Generator-CARB-2200I-New/282968221824

They were $329 last time when we all jumped on them.
It's a nice unit, even at $369 it's a steal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
The Quipall 2200W is down to $369

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quipall-2-200-Watt-Gas-Portable-Inverter-Generator-CARB-2200I-New-/282968221824?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

They were $329 last time when we all jumped on them.
It's a nice unit, even at $369 it's a steal.
View Quote
Link doesn't work, try this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quipall-2-200-Watt-Gas-Portable-Inverter-Generator-CARB-2200I-New/282968221824?epid=25021228380&hash=item41e2386880:g:4rsAAOSwTi5bPQoo
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#48]
That link doesn't work for me either.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#49]
Jesus!
Sorry.
I don't know what happened.
Fixed in my original post.

Reposted here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quipall-2-200-Watt-Gas-Portable-Inverter-Generator-CARB-2200I-New/282968221824
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By swampvol:

That link doesn't work for me either.
View Quote
Internet gremlins-worked when I posted it.  
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top