BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By danpass:
Which cable, 25ft or 50ft?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1F6BNK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=web5689-20&linkId=8a0d7532534fe68864280805de71557b&language=en_US

Right now I have the 10ft version and it juuuuuuuuuust works.

It 'feels' like a 5ft cord

So I'm wondering; is 25ft the 'perfect' length or will I prefer the 50ft?

Or will I need 30ft, be forced to buy the 50, but constantly regret the extra 20ft? (weight and storage)

In other, OTHER words, do I make my setup around the 25ft length?
View Quote
I picked up a 25' and a 50' in 10ga from harbor freight. Been testing them out through the now completed 30hr break in of my 3500 predator and ive no complaints. The 25' will be run through the dryer vent to power the fridge and freezer while the 50' will go through a bathroom window and into the master bedroom to power electronics and a window a/c. Ive been thinking of ways to power the whole bedroom circuit from plugging a cable into an outside jack. Should be as easy as turning off the main and leaving only those two on... but im guessing here. I may be better off staying out of my breaker box.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
Timely.

My wife just texted me, power's out at the house...
View Quote
Oh, its on! Im going to feel cheated if I dont get a day or two without power, what with all the prep work ive done after last years misery.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CyberSEAL:
Thanks. I'm running cords. Can I get a suitable copper rod at Lowes?
View Quote
Yes!

Galvan 0.625-in x 8-ft Copper Grounding Rods
Item # 70860 Model # 70860

$13.59 or so...
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
If the fuel is alcohol-gas, water in the fuel probably isn't responsible unless there's a lot of it.

Try draining and refilling...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Originally Posted By BigJayA:
Today I finally pulled out my predator 3500 for some loving. Its the first time its been started in about 3 weeks and its running kind of rough.  Only 3 hours on the clock but i changed the oil anyway, refilled with clean oil, ran it again for a minute and then drained and refilled again. Still running rough so i replaced the stock spark plug with an ngk after verifying the gap was correct. Still running rough so i pulled the foam air filter. It was clean so i reinstalled and put it all back together and let it run with a light load for about 20 minutes but it never smoothed out. I suspect that in these past few weeks condensation has put a lot of water in the only half full tank. I put a bunch of startron in and plan to try running it again tomorrow. If its still rough i will try to drain the fuel out of the tank, though im not sure exactly how ill be doing that. Anyone have any ideas other than contaminated fuel?
If the fuel is alcohol-gas, water in the fuel probably isn't responsible unless there's a lot of it.

Try draining and refilling...
Was reading what ive missed and figured id post this in case it helps someone else.
I stored the gen for about 3 weeks with a half a tank of regular corn fed gas. The tank also seems to be metal and between the two it seems to have gotten a lot of water in the mix. Running it low and refueling with clean gas fixed it. I now use corn free gas with stabil and startron and i top off the tank after every use. No problems since and ive just finished the 30hr break in this past weekend.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Keith1980:

Yup. Spare everything you just mentioned plus fuel filters. I just put a new OEM carb on my genny and have a spare Amazon carb just in case. I have about 90 gallons of Rec90 also.

ETA: I ran my craftsman 9300/6100 with a briggs for a week straight after Irma. I fine tuned my supplies after that.
View Quote
Katrina was 2.5 weeks
Wilma was 4 weeks
Irma was 1 week

Same generator.  I keep it lubed and filtered and plugged. It keeps running. Always run it dry once it's job is done. Run it a couple times a year with a load.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
The last few days of GD threads have made me glad that I spent money last year on the 2000s, parallel kit, cables, etc.  and am sitting on mine, ready to go.  No bragging, just feeling in a more secure situation than I had in the past.
View Quote
Good luck phat!  Hope Florence doesn't cause you many problems.  Used to live near the coast in NC.  Hurricane Floyd was a PITA as far as work was concerned but no real damage for me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:37:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#7]
Originally Posted By orion251:
Good luck phat!  Hope Florence doesn't cause you many problems.  Used to live near the coast in NC.  Hurricane Floyd was a PITA as far as work was concerned but no real damage for me.
View Quote
Thank you!  I am hoping it peters out by the time it gets this far inland.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw harbor freight has the predator 2kw 50 bucks off, $449
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:12:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#10]

what happened to your generator!?!

View Quote
I need to show her how to hook it up.

I've always been home before.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Question for all the predator 3500 owners with extended run capability, how did you overcome the vent to carbon filter issue, gas all over the inside of generator. I researched the heck out of it and no one gives specifics. my take was to put a fuel cutoff valve on vent line. closed with extend run tank installed open for normal use. comments, pics or answer would be greatly appreciated. ps: i have not run my extended tank setup as of yet.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#12]

I picked up a 25' and a 50' in 10ga from harbor freight. Been testing them out through the now completed 30hr break in of my 3500 predator and ive no complaints. The 25' will be run through the dryer vent to power the fridge and freezer while the 50' will go through a bathroom window and into the master bedroom to power electronics and a window a/c. Ive been thinking of ways to power the whole bedroom circuit from plugging a cable into an outside jack. Should be as easy as turning off the main and leaving only those two on... but im guessing here. I may be better off staying out of my breaker box.
View Quote
I instantly discovered the problem of using extension cords the first time I used a genny for the house.

This last year I finally rectified that issue by installing a mechanical interlock and wall mounted generator dedicated receptacle.

Installing mechanical interlock for portable generator for house
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Purchased a 2kw pulsar a week ago for 297$ shipped on Ebay with a 15% coupon. Looked today and the same ones are sitting at 420$ instead of 350$. Are price fluctuations normal? I'd like to get a 2nd one to parallel with.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:30:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer] [#14]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
Purchased a 2kw pulsar a week ago for 297$ shipped on Ebay with a 15% coupon. Looked today and the same ones are sitting at 420$ instead of 350$. Are price fluctuations normal? I'd like to get a 2nd one to parallel with.
View Quote

Anecdotally, the Quipall 2200i was $349.99 around Labor Day and then went up to $449.99 late last week for a few days and is now back down to $349.99 again. No rhyme or reason why.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#15]

I instantly discovered the problem of using extension cords the first time I used a genny for the house.

This last year I finally rectified that issue by installing a mechanical interlock and wall mounted generator dedicated receptacle.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4475/37544619602_ff86795bac_c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KHGIyOuiHw
View Quote
Unfortunately, I don't have modern power, otherwise I would be set up just like that.  I have a long, heavy gauge extension for my smaller gens and long twist-locs for my parallel kit (30A) and big generator (50A).  The 50A goes to a power spider.  Otherwise, I jury-rigged several heavy gauge extensions under the floor from a central point to vital spots in the house (through the floor).  Those then can get attached to whatever extension I have run under the garage door.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
View Quote
You got it before the hurricane panic.

Price fluctuations during a period of high demand is normal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Engineer:

Anecdotally, the Quipall 2200i was $349.99 around Labor Day and then went up to $449.99 late last week for a few days and is now back down to $349.99 again. No rhyme or reason why.
View Quote
I'd say supply.  After we started posting the links to the price drop, and the coupon, they sold over 20 before the coupon stopped working.
I bet they got smashed with orders.
Vendors will sometimes raise the price to stave off orders rather than edit the listing as unavailable.

I've seen it with other items.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:57:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#18]
You guys have any experience with the Ryobi 2,300w generators with Bluetooth?  Apparently they communicate with an app on your phone to tell you estimated time and gas remaining, run time, etc.  ~$600 at Home Despot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
You guys have any experience with the Ryobi 2,300w generators with Bluetooth?  Apparently they communicate with an app on your phone to tell you estimated time and gas remaining, run time, etc.  ~$600 at Home Despot.
View Quote
Not personally, but there's this video where it was run against a EU2000i and there doesn't seem to be a lot of overhead in the Ryobi:

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:53:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#20]
Originally Posted By Engineer:

Not personally, but there's this video where it was run against a EU2000i and there doesn't seem to be a lot of overhead in the Ryobi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-zof8X5wE
View Quote
Interesting bit at the end regarding the paralleling experiment.

When the Ryobi and Honda were paralleled they didn't share power equally, as the two Hondas did.

He started the Honda first.  So the Ryobi was following.
I wonder if it would have made any difference if he would have started the Ryobi first, and then paralleled the Honda to it.

His comments on he Youtube page indicate he got a second Ryobi generator, paralleled the two together and they shared the load properly.

That no overhead thing is a big detractor for the Ryobi.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Predator 3500 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator on its way to my house (thanks, contributors!). With the Firman 2900W Running / 3200W Peak Gas Inverter Generator from Costco being almost $200 cheaper to my door, would someone mind telling me if the Predator is worth the extra coin? Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 2007FL:
Question for all the predator 3500 owners with extended run capability, how did you overcome the vent to carbon filter issue, gas all over the inside of generator. I researched the heck out of it and no one gives specifics. my take was to put a fuel cutoff valve on vent line. closed with extend run tank installed open for normal use. comments, pics or answer would be greatly appreciated. ps: i have not run my extended tank setup as of yet.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Finally got around to un-packaging the Wen 56200I  I bought a few months ago.

Started super easy, and it is extremely smooth and quiet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ecestu:
I have a Predator 3500 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator on its way to my house (thanks, contributors!). With the Firman 2900W Running / 3200W Peak Gas Inverter Generator from Costco being almost $200 cheaper to my door, would someone mind telling me if the Predator is worth the extra coin? Much appreciated.
View Quote
It is a great little genny, quite, powerful and efficient. Tips: change the oil after 2 hours of run, lots of casting metal not cleaned out by the Chinese, change the spark plug to an NGK, BPR7ES 5534 - gap .044, the rattle is normal it is caused by locking front wheel a thin flat nylon washer between axle and wheel works, exercise with a load and drain carb for storage.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#25]
It is a great little genny, quite, powerful and efficient. Tips: change the oil after 2 hours of run, lots of casting metal not cleaned out by the Chinese, change the spark plug to an NGK, BPR7ES 5534 - gap .044, the rattle is normal it is caused by locking front wheel a thin flat nylon washer between axle and wheel works, exercise with a load and drain carb for storage.
View All Quotes
Is there a drain to get gas out of carb?  Or are you just running yours out?  Usually there is some left in bowl.  This winter will be my first time not just running the P3500.  And you are right its a great gen. Flo made me glad I got one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By my2Dogs:
Is there a drain to get gas out of carb?  Or are you just running yours out?  Usually there is some left in bowl.  This winter will be my first time not just running the P3500.  And you are right its a great gen. Flo made me glad I got one.
View Quote
there is a drain screw at the bottom of the carb.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#28]
No Problem. Good luck and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Thanks for the tips. As soon as it arrives I will be changing out the spark plug.

Question for you: did you rig up an extended tank for yours?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer] [#30]
Originally Posted By hkmp5s:
Mine does that but I was going to wait until after break-in and change the plug to worry about it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hkmp5s:
Mine does that but I was going to wait until after break-in and change the plug to worry about it.
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Kinda sounds like it's missing.
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

Mine purrs just like my Hondas.

I had it hooked to a toaster oven, and it up throttled smoothly every time the oven cycled on.
Update - got my replacement generator today and it does not have the oscillation that the first one did so I'm a happy camper.

To their credit, eBay was absolutely wonderful and reinstated all the credits I had when I originally purchased my first generator (CPO would not do an exchange but I had to return it for a refund and then buy another one) so I got both my Labor Day code and eBay bonus bucks reinstated.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
I will be running my 3500 for 30 minutes under load on the first weekend of every month while storing it. Do you think I need to drain the carb if I stick to that plan?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#32]

I will be running my 3500 for 30 minutes under load on the first weekend of every month while storing it. Do you think I need to drain the carb if I stick to that plan?
View Quote
I have had the same unit since April of this year and follow that exact schedule without any issues.  I have a 1,500 Watt portable room heater I plug in to heat the neighborhood for a load.  It always starts within a second or two.  Sta-Bil in the fuel also.   I put a reminder in my calendar on my phone that runs for the first week of every month with a pop-up  notice.  I don’t drain the carb, and have no intention to begin doing that, since it doesn’t seem necessary.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By draver:
I have had the same unit since April of this year and follow that exact schedule without any issues.  I have a 1,500 Watt portable room heater I plug in to heat the neighborhood for a load.  It always starts within a second or two.  Sta-Bil in the fuel also.   I put a reminder in my calendar on my phone that runs for the first week of every month with a pop-up  notice.  I don't drain the carb, and have no intention to begin doing that, since it doesn't seem necessary.
View All Quotes

I have had the same unit since April of this year and follow that exact schedule without any issues.  I have a 1,500 Watt portable room heater I plug in to heat the neighborhood for a load.  It always starts within a second or two.  Sta-Bil in the fuel also.   I put a reminder in my calendar on my phone that runs for the first week of every month with a pop-up  notice.  I don't drain the carb, and have no intention to begin doing that, since it doesn't seem necessary.
I think just using non corn fuel is half the battle,  I use only the marine stabil,  it works well and I have had no issues with mine,  I have around 95 hours on the unit.  its pretty nice having this to run my camper.  its so much quieter than the troy bilt lawnmower genny.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Thanks for the tips. As soon as it arrives I will be changing out the spark plug.

Question for you: did you rig up an extended tank for yours?
View Quote
I did. bought the cap from MRI-Denver, e-bay seller, rig a Scepter MFC with it. i have not tried it yet! the fuel tank is a gravity feed system with an internal vent. you must clamp or plug the vent in order to use an extended run tank. ( fuel will get all over inside if not done) i used a fuel shut off valve on the vent hose before it goes into carbon filter. again i have not tried it yet, so unproven, but from what i read it should work. I don't run every month, so i drain.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I think just using non corn fuel is half the battle,  I use only the marine stabil,  it works well and I have had no issues with mine,  I have around 95 hours on the unit.  its pretty nice having this to run my camper.  its so much quieter than the troy bilt lawnmower genny.
View All Quotes

Fuel evaporation varnish buildup can still be an issue. I always run mine dry and it's going great since 2005.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:
Fuel evaporation varnish buildup can still be an issue. I always run mine dry and it's going great since 2005.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

I have a Champion that was purchased in Sept 2005 so it's just passing 13 years and a EU2000i that's at 10 years. I've been using stabilized fuel (either Sta-Bil or PRI-G) and running every other month for 15-30 minutes and there has been no issues with carbs gumming up. Recently switched to non-ethanol gas so I expect similar if not better results but that's been my experience - of course YMMV and all those standard disclaimers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Non ethanol with seafoam in my 4-wheeler has worked for me.

Just open the valve to the carb once a month, then shut it off and run until the carb is dry.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:55:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#38]
New guy to the thread, I'm currently reading backwards to try and absorb the info. I have a Ryobi I've not used but decided to buy a couple of the Honda's in case Florence visited us in NoVA:

Some questions for the hive:

1.  Since these are inverters, do I need to use a surge protector?

2.  Do you guys run your generators continuously or do you start and stop them when needed, e.g., start 'em up to power a fridge every 4hrs or so?

3.  Any recommendation on where to find a good dual feed gas extender kit? I found one on Amazon but other searching doesn't really return decent results. And for the record, I'd rather buy than make, just no time to tinker.
Found one on eBay for a good price.

4.  Lastly, has anyone converted their honda's to an alternate fuel? I have natural gas right next to where I will install these and would prefer that option for the long-term. Any preference between, for instance, Hutch Mountain or another vendor?

I appreciate the replies. I know I'll probably find the answers in the thread eventually but I want to get these up and running now!

ETA - Stabil Marine or the regular Stabil?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I have the Yamaha and I love it!!!

Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#40]
Originally Posted By Defender3:

2.  Do you guys run your generators continuously or do you start and stop them when needed, e.g., start 'em up to power a fridge every 4hrs or so?

ETA - Stabil Marine or the regular Stabil?
View Quote
Last time I was on genny, I ran it when I got home, about 630pm to around 1030pm.  Leaving frig/freezer closed held up fine as long as there was a meaningful cooling time at some point during a 24hr day.

Otherwise it was off when I was out (work or whatever)

I use Marine Stabil
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Powerkicker] [#41]

View Quote
It depends what you mean by “drain” the carb. My champion 4kw gets run for 20 minutes or so every couple of months. I turn the fuel petcock off while the engine is running and let the carb run dry. It starts fine every time. I think I’ve had it three years or so now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone have a Honda EU3000 and a Predator 3500? I am wondering how they compare, except for price of course.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag for interests. I am trying to decide which one would be best for me. The 2000 would probably meet my needs but for a little more I would have more versatility.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
Anyone have a Honda EU3000 and a Predator 3500? I am wondering how they compare, except for price of course.
View Quote
There are YouTube vids comparing them.

pretty close in every aspect
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:19:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#45]
Any input on an inverter that can do 240v?  Most seem to be in the 3-5K range, but there are a couple under $2K that I've found.  The cheapest I found is this Briggs unit.  It's not particularly quiet or fuel efficient, though.  Better than a standard generator, but probably not enough to justify the price premium.

Amazon Product
  • Quiet, portable inverter generator delivers 6,500 starting watts of reliable home backup power
  • QuietPower Series inverter technology and a noise-reducing shell give you power that's more than 60% quieter than a standard generator (66 dBA at 25% load)
  • Design is 45% more compact & 30% lighter (128 lbs) than a standard portable generator. Start Type: Recoil

Since I'm looking for something for home use, can a standard generator be put inside a vented enclosure to muffle the sound? That wouldn't do anything for fuel efficiency, but it would at least make it quieter.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Any input on an inverter that can do 240v?  Most seem to be in the 3-5K range, but there are a couple under $2K that I've found.  The cheapest I found is this Briggs unit.  It's not particularly quiet or fuel efficient, though.  Better than a standard generator, but probably not enough to justify the price premium.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9FAFIESince I'm looking for something for home use, can a standard generator be put inside a vented enclosure to muffle the sound? That wouldn't do anything for fuel efficiency, but it would at least make it quieter.
View Quote
At the hunt club, our generators live outside in plywood enclosures to kill sound.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9FAFIE
View Quote
66 dB is ridiculously loud for an "inverter" generator - and note that their spec is only when operating with a light load. It'll be considerably louder at full load (which is just 5 KW, BTW).
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

66 dB is ridiculously loud for an "inverter" generator - and note that their spec is only when operating with a light load. It'll be considerably louder at full load (which is just 5 KW, BTW).
View Quote
True, but a lot of people buy two 2kw inverters and use with a parallel kit. I would think the two smaller units together would be a lot louder than 66db, with only a 4kw capacity and no 240v option.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
a lot of people buy two 2kw inverters and use with a parallel kit. I would think the two smaller units together would be a lot louder than 66db
View Quote
At 1/4 rated load, Honda specs their EU2200is at 48 dB.

In theory, running 2 of them would increase the noise level by 3 db (since twice the sound level is 3 dB) - which would be 51 dB.

51 dB is still a LOT quieter that 66 dB!

(Number of paralleled EU2200is's required to produce 66 dB: 64)
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

At 1/4 rated load, Honda specs their EU2200is at 48 dB.

In theory, running 2 of them would increase the noise level by 3 db (since twice the sound level is 3 dB) - which would be 51 dB.

51 dB is still a LOT quieter that 66 dB!

(Number of paralleled EU2200is's required to produce 66 dB: 64)
View Quote
Huh. I didn't know that.

Learn something every day.
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top