Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:
I think my Predator needs some Wheelz.....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79948/wagon-326945.JPG
View Quote
I'm going to get the flatbed one when I get mine. That way I can just roll it in and out of the garage. The bin with everything I need will be next to it.

To use it I need to take it around back and my yard isn't nice and flat so I need big wheels. Plus I can roll it over to the neighbors if they need to top something off.

I don't plan on running it on the cart though.

I am still working my way through this thread. The HF near me was out when I called, not unexpected. I want to get one and have it all broken in and ready to go. I wonder when the next sale will be?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:

What kind of Hour Meter are you going with ? I need to buy a new one.
View Quote
I would rather have an hour meter than a fuel guage on those little ones. I wonder why they don't come with one?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Defender3:
New guy to the thread, I'm currently reading backwards to try and absorb the info. I have a Ryobi I've not used but decided to buy a couple of the Honda's in case Florence visited us in NoVA:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52736/IMG_8391-1_JPG-667605.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52736/IMG_8390-1_JPG-667609.jpg

Some questions for the hive:

1.  Since these are inverters, do I need to use a surge protector?

2.  Do you guys run your generators continuously or do you start and stop them when needed, e.g., start 'em up to power a fridge every 4hrs or so?

3.  Any recommendation on where to find a good dual feed gas extender kit? I found one on Amazon but other searching doesn't really return decent results. And for the record, I'd rather buy than make, just no time to tinker.
Found one on eBay for a good price.

4.  Lastly, has anyone converted their honda's to an alternate fuel? I have natural gas right next to where I will install these and would prefer that option for the long-term. Any preference between, for instance, Hutch Mountain or another vendor?

I appreciate the replies. I know I'll probably find the answers in the thread eventually but I want to get these up and running now!

ETA - Stabil Marine or the regular Stabil?
View Quote
Those have have a comercial  engine and can run continuously so long a you keep the oil changed timely.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Which aftermarket sparkplugs for Predator 2000? Also, is that clear tube near the oil fill just a slip fit over a port in the bottom of the case?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up this hour meter off ebay and just installed it on my WEN.

Super easy to install and works well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
Which aftermarket sparkplugs for Predator 2000? Also, is that clear tube near the oil fill just a slip fit over a port in the bottom of the case?
View Quote
I use NGK plugs in all my generators.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By swampvol:

View Quote
Just grabbed two, thanks.

Anyone with the predator inverter have the spark arrestor clog up?

Mine was running ruff at a mx race. Notice that a bunch of them were off of other geni's so I pulled mine off, and it runs great again. It was solid with black crud.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 4DAIVIPAI2K5:

Mine was running ruff at a mx race. Notice that a bunch of them were off of other geni's so I pulled mine off, and it runs great again. It was solid with black crud.
View Quote
Cleaning the spark arrestor is a routine maintenance item - takes all of 2 minutes to complete.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

Cleaning the spark arrestor is a routine maintenance item - takes all of 2 minutes to complete.
View Quote
Okay, never had a geni before. I ordered some ngk plugs the other day after some one suggested them.

Off to google to find the easiest way to clean them
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By APBullet:

Those have have a comercial  engine and can run continuously so long a you keep the oil changed timely.
View Quote
Thanks - learning a lot from this thread - thanks to all the contributors!
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]
These things may be answered somewhere in this thread, but where, IDK

-Does the Predator 3500 use the same parallel kit as the 2000 to only allow one 30A plug for each type plug?
Or, is there another kit I don't see on the HF website?
Would the parallel kit even increase the capacity of putting 2 units together? If not, why even have parallel hookups on the genny?

-Is the extended run fuel cap for the 2000 the same as the Honda 2000 one on ebay/amazon?

-I have a 2000 now and have had the gas in my unit for a about a year and it appears that I wont get the opportunity to run it dry. I guess I will need to siphon it our since there really is not drain plug I can find. Am I missing it somehow?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
These things may be answered somewhere in this thread, but where, IDK

-Does the Predator 3500 use the same parallel kit as the 2000 to only allow one 30A plug for each type plug?
Or, is there another kit I don't see on the HF website?
Paralleling two 3500s produces 50A, you need a different parallel kit.  HF does not offer one, but they can be found on Amazon.

Would the parallel kit even increase the capacity of putting 2 units together? If not, why even have parallel hookups on the genny?
Yes, paralleling combines the outputs of the two generators so they perform like a single larger unit.

-Is the extended run fuel cap for the 2000 the same as the Honda 2000 one on ebay/amazon?
No, different threads.  There is a cap for the Predators.  Search for it.

-I have a 2000 now and have had the gas in my unit for a about a year and it appears that I wont get the opportunity to run it dry. I guess I will need to siphon it our since there really is not drain plug I can find. Am I missing it somehow?
It's best to completely drain the tank for long term storage.  Non ethanol gas and a stabilizer can help.  Best to run it monthly or so.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
I have one on my WEN and one on my Predator.  (Color matched of course). Run the wire through a small notch cut in the rubber sparkplug access plug.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

I have one on my WEN and one on my Predator.  (Color matched of course). Run the wire through a small notch cut in the rubber sparkplug access plug.
View Quote
@phatmax

Do you run those two in parallel?

Which of the two do you prefer?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#15]
And I lost power here in Greenville SC along with internet/cable.

I have seen worse weather at the car wash.  No idea why it is out.

Small Predator running my fridge and freezer.

I lent my WEN to a neighbor for his fridge.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:02:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#16]

@phatmax

Do you run those two in parallel?

Which of the two do you prefer?
View Quote
I haven't had to run them in parallel, I think I tried it and it works, but I do need to test it again.

ETA: I would probably use the parallel in the winter to run more lights and space heaters as needed.  With my shitty electrical system, A/c and water heater is out of the question.

As to the generators themselves, they are likely built in the same factory.  Very early on in this thread I compared them.  Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep debating getting the 3500, but looking at the combination of weight, consumption and output, having two 2000s is actually more efficient for me.

Most of the time I only need to run one.  
1 gallon / ~9 hours runtime vs 2.6 gallons /~9-11 hours run time.

Even if I ran both 2000s in parallel, that should be equal fuel effciency or still slightly better than the 3500.

3500/3000 watts for the 3500

4000/3200 watt for the parallel 2000s

It is far easier for me to sling around two smaller gens versus 1 big one.

On a day like today I loaned one out to help a friend.

I am rambling and trying to convince myself not to spend money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I keep debating getting the 3500, but looking at the combination of weight, consumption and output, having two 2000s is actually more efficient for me.

Even if I ran both 2000s in parallel, that should be equal fuel effciency or still slightly better than the 3500.

View Quote
I purchased a Champion 3500 last year.  It got used and ran well.  It was loud as all get out of course.  It was not the quiet version.  It also guzzles gas.  This year I purchased a Harbor Freight Predator 2000.  It runs quite, sips gas and provides plenty of juice for my bare necessities at the time.  I mostly use it for refrigerators, fans,TV etc for a bit until the frigs cool down.

If I had to do it over again, I would have just bought two Predators and a parallel kit.  I could run one unit and parallel if needed.  I would also have one as a backup.  I can foresee  the Champion being sold and getting another harbor freight.  Did I mention the Champion is loud, which is not a knock on Champion, but it is a large generator for me to run lights for a bit.  It was even louder when the entire neighborhood was blacked out but the few of us with gens.  Like you mentioned, the two little ones are easier to move than one large one. My big one did not come with the wheels, it's a bitch to move.

Question, does anyone have a good verified cross for the Predator 2000 spark plug?  I found the NGK6222, but can not verify it is correct.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323449107295?ViewItem=&item=323449107295

Seems to good to be true.  2 sellers, both inactive for about a year, are selling these near the same price with similar terms.  What says the hive?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I found mine clogged after about 20+/- hrs into the break in. Cleaned it really well and reinstalled. Gen ran MUCH smoother. It is my practice now to clean it upon every refuel till I get a setup to duct the exhaust, at which point it will be no longer needed and removed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I can confirm you can hook a predator 3500 and a Yamaha 2200 in parallel via dead man cable

mine work fine
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ffemt596:

Seems to good to be true.  2 sellers, both inactive for about a year, are selling these near the same price with similar terms.  What says the hive?
View Quote
I'm curious too.

This looks like same one as well and only $87.99.

Since Ebay/Paypal always settles with the buyer what do we have to lose?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-XP2000EH-2000-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Digital-Inverter-Hybrid-Portable-Generator/302884273601

Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:49:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#23]

View Quote
$170!

Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Power is back.  7.6 hrs run time and about  between 1/2 & 3/5 gallon used.  Not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
My thoughts as well. Just had this exact same discussion.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#26]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
$170!
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/92AAAOSw3Rdbnfol/s-l500.jpg
View All Quotes
$170!
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/92AAAOSw3Rdbnfol/s-l500.jpg
Seems highly likely that a scammer hijacked an ebay account and is trying to cash in on some hurricane victims or the like.

But with the protections that ebay has it might be worth taking a shot.

Originally Posted By Mech2007:
My thoughts as well. Just had this exact same discussion.
This has been my thought for some time now. The 2000 size are readily one-man portable and give more flexibility at the expense of more complexity.

Although I waffle back to the cost-effectiveness of the Champion "digital hybrid" models as the higher noise level is not a big deal for me. If that Pulsar deal is real that may make the decision though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Ran all my lights (led), refrigerator, 3 ceiling fans, 3 TV's, 2 computers and wifi modem on the little Wen yesterday without a hitch. Had to shut things down to run the microwave (1.58kw), but no big deal.

Will probably pick up another to parallel with so I can run a portable AC unit.

Gas water heater, so in my situation, there really is no need for more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Links above seem to be dead. Here's another Pulsar PG2000ISN listed for $178.59 from a dormant seller (IIRC, it was different than the first Pulsar listing linked above) that suddenly popped up with 50 to sell.

Pulsar 2000 Watts Portable Gasoline Inverter Generator Space Gray PG2000ISN https://ebay.us/r7STI9

Not sure if there are any consequences to the buyer if it were a scam. If someone hijacked a Paypal and eBay account, I assume they could drain the funds right away and then eBay would be stuck holding the bag and having to refund all the buyers?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Engineer:
Links above seem to be dead. Here's another Pulsar PG2000ISN listed for $178.59 from a dormant seller (IIRC, it was different than the first Pulsar listing linked above) that suddenly popped up with 50 to sell.

Pulsar 2000 Watts Portable Gasoline Inverter Generator Space Gray PG2000ISN https://ebay.us/r7STI9

Not sure if there are any consequences to the buyer if it were a scam. If someone hijacked a Paypal and eBay account, I assume they could drain the funds right away and then eBay would be stuck holding the bag and having to refund all the buyers?
View Quote
Too good to be true, but curious about this one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:59:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer] [#30]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

Too good to be true, but curious about this one.
View Quote
Looks like it was disappeared after about 38-40 of them got sold. I guess the Pulsar must be the scam item du jour as this one just popped up but eBay already pulled it when I clicked on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By CVO:
I've have bought (6) generators in the last (2) weeks, not one of them is a Predator.
View Quote
Maybe that's the problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Truman_Sparks] [#32]
Originally Posted By chR15:
I purchased a Champion 3500 last year.  It got used and ran well.  It was loud as all get out of course.  It was not the quiet version.  It also guzzles gas.  This year I purchased a Harbor Freight Predator 2000.  It runs quite, sips gas and provides plenty of juice for my bare necessities at the time.  I mostly use it for refrigerators, fans,TV etc for a bit until the frigs cool down.

If I had to do it over again, I would have just bought two Predators and a parallel kit.  I could run one unit and parallel if needed.  I would also have one as a backup.  I can foresee  the Champion being sold and getting another harbor freight.  Did I mention the Champion is loud, which is not a knock on Champion, but it is a large generator for me to run lights for a bit.  It was even louder when the entire neighborhood was blacked out but the few of us with gens.  Like you mentioned, the two little ones are easier to move than one large one. My big one did not come with the wheels, it's a bitch to move.

Question, does anyone have a good verified cross for the Predator 2000 spark plug?  I found the NGK6222, but can not verify it is correct.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chR15:

I just looked on the NGK website cross reference, and it said to use their CR5HS (stock number 2874). Used the plug number (Torch brand A5RTC) from the HF manual.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Update - got my replacement generator today and it does not have the oscillation that the first one did so I'm a happy camper.

To their credit, eBay was absolutely wonderful and reinstated all the credits I had when I originally purchased my first generator (CPO would not do an exchange but I had to return it for a refund and then buy another one) so I got both my Labor Day code and eBay bonus bucks reinstated.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hkmp5s:
Mine does that but I was going to wait until after break-in and change the plug to worry about it.
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Kinda sounds like it's missing.

Mine purrs just like my Hondas.

I had it hooked to a toaster oven, and it up throttled smoothly every time the oven cycled on.
Update - got my replacement generator today and it does not have the oscillation that the first one did so I'm a happy camper.

To their credit, eBay was absolutely wonderful and reinstated all the credits I had when I originally purchased my first generator (CPO would not do an exchange but I had to return it for a refund and then buy another one) so I got both my Labor Day code and eBay bonus bucks reinstated.
Mine seems to have smoothed out after the 5-hour break in, oil change and new ngk plug.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Those Pulsars on Ebay were cancelled, so apparently a scam.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Those Pulsars on Ebay were cancelled, so apparently a scam.
View Quote
320 for the Quip All seemed ridiculously cheap.  Those scammers tried too hard.  They could've went 290 and stayed just under the radar.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I ordered the predator 3500 online. I was going to wait until the store near me got some in but they might not have the 3500 and that's the one I want.

The code I looked up worked. Some was eaten up by shipping. Oh well.

It's just a waiting game now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:54:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TechOps] [#37]
Any comments on this guy?

With the 10% coupon comes in under $350
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Not a bad price but it will be much louder than an inverter gen.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I got some HF coupons in the mail today. One was for the Predator 3500 for $699.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
I got some HF coupons in the mail today. One was for the Predator 3500 for $699.
View Quote
Check the Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - it's updated frequently and will let you find the best coupons available. They have one for the 3500W Inverter for $689.99:

http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/3500+WATT+SUPER+QUIET+INVERTER+GENERATOR
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Keith1980:

Yup. Spare everything you just mentioned plus fuel filters. I just put a new OEM carb on my genny and have a spare Amazon carb just in case. I have about 90 gallons of Rec90 also.

ETA: I ran my craftsman 9300/6100 with a briggs for a week straight after Irma. I fine tuned my supplies after that.
View Quote
What's the issue with carburetors that you would need a spare? Are they apt to fail?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I think this has been covered,  if you have over 60 hours on your P3500 and you have not cleaned out the muffler screen you should do so,  I was surprised mine was even running after all the goo I cleaned out the screen.  6 philips head screws and 2 5/16 bolts.  It pulls right out,  i just used some brake cleaner and a small brush to get the black cake out of it.  My generator still does not run as smooth as I think it should but it runs better now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Stoop:
What's the issue with carburetors that you would need a spare? Are they apt to fail?
View Quote
Most small engine carbs are vulnerable to poor fuel quality, particularly since the introduction of ethanol in most gasoline.

Replacement carbs are dirt-cheap on ebay - which makes them a viable option for getting your generator back up and running quickly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#45]
That's a good idea. I'll put that on the list.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Most small engine carbs are vulnerable to poor fuel quality, particularly since the introduction of ethanol in most gasoline.

Replacement carbs are dirt-cheap on ebay - which makes them a viable option for getting your generator back up and running quickly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stoop:

Cleaning the main jet would do the same thing, been there and done that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:20:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer] [#47]
Sam's Club has the A-iPower AP4000-A on sale. (Home Depot has the same model for around $260)

EDIT: Fat fingered the Home Depot price.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Sam's Club has the A-iPower AP4000-A on sale. (Home Depot has the same model for around $360)

https://i.imgur.com/udUJrf3.jpg
View Quote
That’s a great deal for a smoke and noise generator.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Sam's Club has the A-iPower AP4000-A on sale. (Home Depot has the same model for around $360)

https://i.imgur.com/udUJrf3.jpg
Man it would be awesome if you could parallel these. I would buy three.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:
Man it would be awesome if you could parallel these. I would buy three.
View Quote
Paralleling is a function of the inverter circuitry, can't readily be done with the traditional "smoke and noise" types.
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top