Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Always check Arfcom.   And waiting to unbox the genset till you need it is a crapshoot.
View Quote
I checked but unfortunately this was literally the only place I could find a generator, locally. I called everywhere.

Oh well, you win some you lose some.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:32:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer] [#2]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
I panic-bought an Echo Bearcat IG2000  from a local lawn and garden place, for $900 right before Hurricane Florence. It was the only place around that had a generator. After seeing some of the deals in this thread I am pretty upset with the price I paid, especially considering that this place does not take returns.

I have not turned on yet. Maybe I can sell it to someone on craigslist and recoup some of the wasted money.

Seriously, $170 – $250 for a 2000W inverter generator? That's a damn steal if they work.
View Quote

You'll probably lose your shirt if you sell it now. If you can pick up something cheap and hold off until the next panic you might lessen your losses.

Unfortunately, while I trust Echo for chainsaws and lawn equipment, their generators look like Chinese clones. Their 3500W inverter looks to be the same pedigree as the Harbor Freight 3500W and the 2000W inverter is most likely the same. Speaking frankly, they might not be worth the $800 that slapping an Echo name on the product commands. If you had gone with the EB2200i (or EB2000i) you would have had better resale as Honda inverter generators are of known quality.

At this point you might as well hold onto it but break it in so that you know it will function properly the next time you need it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Update to post of October 2017.  Suffered house damage from tree. Lost power for 2 days. Ran predator 2000 continuously for 45 hours. Moved cords to power fans, freezer, refrigerator, and charge phones. Also powered Icom HF radio. Changed oil @ 5 hours and installed good spark plug. Very happy so far. Will check valve adjustment at next oil change. Premium ethanol free gas with stabiliser only.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kb6emh:
Update to post of October 2017.  Suffered house damage from tree. Lost power for 2 days. Ran predator 2000 continuously for 45 hours. Moved cords to power fans, freezer, refrigerator, and charge phones. Also powered Icom HF radio. Changed oil @ 5 hours and installed good spark plug. Very happy so far. Will check valve adjustment at next oil change. Premium ethanol free gas with stabiliser only.
View Quote
How big of a PITA is dicking around with extension cords?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:

View Quote
My personal experience was such that I went to the trouble of installing a dedicated generator outlet on the wall outside, wiring it into the breaker panel, and installing a manual transfer switch to cut the panel from the main.

But I tend to be the type to go through as much trouble as necessary to create incredible ease on the other side.

Now I just throw the transfer switch, plug genny into wall, and start genny .

Everything that ran on 120, once again runs on 120 lol (the 240 circuits won't see that voltage so I just leave those breakers on)

When power comes back on, turn off genny, unplug and store, throw transfer switch.  No extension cables, power strips, ad infinitum, to mess with
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 2:01:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#6]
I guess I should have done my generator panic-buying at a grocery store (re: the Aldi generator up above) instead of a lawn and garden place.

Who would have guessed, a grocery store selling generators?!
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I should have done my generator panic-buying at a grocery store (re: the Aldi generator up above) instead of a lawn and garden place.

View Quote
It's an impulse buy.  That's why they put them in the checkout lane next to the Snickers and gum...
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Hey, I also got a pack of baby carrots and some cucumbers for the wife while I was out for "nefarious purposes" (as she calls it). 
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Engineer:

Hey, I also got a pack of baby carrots and some cucumbers for the wife while I was out for "nefarious purposes" (as she calls it). 
View Quote
I have an Aldi I pass on the way home, I'm tempted to drop by and see what they have.  Hmmm...
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
If you think/plan ahead it's not that bad.

When it's pouring rain, or in the middle of an ice storm you don't want to be formulating your plan or trying to buy extension cords.

Decide where you're going to position the generator.  A place that won't flood your home with CO.

How you're going to get the cords into the house.

I lay out my cords for the essentials and then plug and play as needed.  Better than running cable every time you want to power the Fridge.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
After going through 7 weeks without power in 05 between Katrina and Wilma I installed a generator inlet. Being able to flick on a light when needed and having the overall feeling of normalness is great for family morale. With a window shaker for sleeping and good fans for the daytime not having AC is doable in SFL. I'm sure having a whole house generator would be nice but it's a big expense for not much greater comfort than a portable generator.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#12]
A tip I read on here that I think is worth repeating:  Place generator outside house, run extension cord into house through the dryer vent.  At my house, that gets the power cord into a central location of the house and allows the generator to sit in a good protected location outside.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sdailey5:
A tip I read on here that I think is worth repeating:  Place generator outside house, run extension cord into house through the dryer vent.  At my house, that gets the power cord into a central location of the house and allows the generator to sit in a good protected location outside.
View Quote
That's how I get my cable in the house.  It's also the shortest run.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sdailey5:
View Quote
My dryer vents to the roof.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

View Quote
[miracleshot] one crazy summer [/miracleshot]
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Same here, and my dryer is no where near the middle of the house.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#17]
If there are any Northeast Ohio ARFCOM members that want in on the Aldi generator deal, the Willowick Aldi (30960 Lakeshore Blvd) had two priced at $169.99
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#19]
power loss plus tree damage?

otherwise ok?

Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

https://i.imgur.com/8tx4OGh.jpg
View Quote
that insanity is why I went through the effort to install a genny inlet
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Haven't had electricity since about 0130 am. It was too rainy and windy to do anything about it though. I'm fixing to set up the genny before I go to work. Need to be sure someone else is going to be here. Everyone is still sleeping.

Glad I got one when I did. Wish I had gotten another 10 guage extension cord though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#21]
People here spend thousands on SHTFantasy guns, optics, and other crap, but won't pony up for a proper generator transfer switch setup.

A suicide cord and extension cords are just as good, right?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm doing fine with extension cords. In the past we managed without even a generator.

Nobody is going to be here in a little while, I don't think I should leave it running with nobody here so I'll have to turn it off and go to work as soon as my fridge and freezer are cool enough to suit me.  I'm also making coffee.

There isn't really any room or shelter to put one where my box is. I have it on the patio right now where there is an awning, but not enclosed. The extension cords are easy to run, two of the will reach the entire house.

I have been bandying about the idea of a transfer switch though. Only problem is moving the generator across the uneven lawn. Plus it's only a 3500 HF inverter.

I'm going to continue thinking about it.  Right now I would like to just go to work but I'm not sure about the safety of leaving a running generator with nobody home. My next door neighbor is home and I might go there when he wakes up to see if he needs to plug in.

Not everyone is out of electricity, it's patchy here. We see neighbors that have it down the street.  Hopefully it won't be long for us.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PhatForrest:
People here spend thousands on SHTFantasy guns, optics, and other crap, but won't pony up for a proper generator transfer switch setup.

View Quote
In my situation, being about 100' from the water, I most likely will boogy with my generator and some fuel to another, higher location.  While a transfer switch appeals to me my money is better spent of equipment to make the more likely scenario work better.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By danpass:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I understood that reference.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Some of us are in rental homes with 1950s boxes that have glass fuses.  You do what you can with your given situation.  Extension cords also seem to work a charm on generator supplied jobsites, day in / day out, year after year.  Are transfer and backfeeds easier? Yes.  Are they absolutely required? No.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

I kept searching google and youtube for a clip or a screenshot.

'Screw it' *adds fake html tags to post*

lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I panic-bought an Echo Bearcat IG2000  from a local lawn and garden place, for $900 right before Hurricane Florence. It was the only place around that had a generator. After seeing some of the deals in this thread I am pretty upset with the price I paid, especially considering that this place does not take returns.

I have not turned on yet. Maybe I can sell it to someone on craigslist and recoup some of the wasted money.

Seriously, $170 – $250 for a 2000W inverter generator? That's a damn steal if they work.
View Quote
It might come in handy today, depending on where you are.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
A minority have what you claim.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:
Haven't had electricity since about 0130 am. It was too rainy and windy to do anything about it though. I'm fixing to set up the genny before I go to work. Need to be sure someone else is going to be here. Everyone is still sleeping.

Glad I got one when I did. Wish I had gotten another 10 guage extension cord though.
View All Quotes

from "Generators. I don't get it?"

I'm with you OP.

I can a lot of meat so the last time there was an outage I canned it. During Matthew I got some dry ice and put in freezer and most of it was still hard when electricity came back on. I did lose some sausage. It wasn't much.

I have battery powered fans, lots of lights, music, cook w gas . . .
I can keep cell phones charged.
The cost of the generator plus having to store and maintain it is more trouble than going without electricity.

I guess it depends where you live. I work at a hospital not 2 miles away and can top off my power cells if needed.
Maybe the OP doesn't need much to be comfortable.
When I lived in ft Lauderdale eons ago we just did without. It wasn't that bad although our expectations were different back then.  We didn't have AC, nobody I knew did, except for one neighbor that had a window unit.

For a group that constantly criticises millennials and other generations for being too soft, y'all sure are soft.
I've lost power during hurricanes.

For some people a generator isn't worth it. I've read this thread and some of it is kind of funny, especially the ones that get a generator to power lights.

We have a lot of electrical outages, I always grab a flashlight or headlamp whether I have electricity or not. It's easier than turning lights on and off at night in every room and I use them when I go out in the yard at night.

I've got several battery powered fans. Plus chargers for phone. Don't care about TV.

I guess AC is a concern for some but I didn't have it most of my life, even when I lived in FLA.  Knowing that it will come back on someday is good enough for me. At least it's bearable here during hurricane season.

If it were never invented maybe Florida (and here) would still be a nice place to live. I always laugh when people say they love the climate here but never so much as go outside in the heat.
I choose not to have one. Not everyone needs one. I would miss the money more than a few days of electricity every 5 years or so.

We actually used to lose electricity for a few days on a regular basis when we first moved in, lots of trees and other issues. I adapted for that. When I was a kid we had floods and storms and did without power for a couple weeks on more than one occasion.
yessssss...... come to the lit up dark side....
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:35:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gitarmac] [#30]
I've come full circle.

ETA: also kind of creepy you dug all that up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I've come full circle.

View Quote
I had to search for the thread

I remembered your posts, and thinking you'll come around some day

welcome to the inverter generator club
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I've come full circle.

View Quote
Makes me want to wrap a sweater tightly around myself.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I was at harbor freight today and the 2000 predator is going to be priced at $339 over the weekend. I tried to by some but they told me the sale doesn’t start til tomorrow. They said I could pay $30 for a membership and buy it today or could come back tomorrow or even buy it online tomorrow for $339. Their website shows the sale but it isn’t showing the sale price. I guess today members get the early pricing. Worth checking out if your in the market for one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Our electricity has been out since about 1am!!! It's 8 houses at the end of the street. They've been in people's yards trying to pin it down. Now it's 9pm.

We have tv and cable and wifi. Plus some fans. I have a fuck ton of headlamps and stuff so light is never a problem.

The little predator is purring away. It seemed to run a little rough earlier but you had to pay attention to notice it. We turned it off and went out to grab a bite to eat and topped off the levels when we got back and cranked it back up. It seems smoother now.

At any rate it's working great for what we are using it for. There is still no estimate for when the power will be back on.

I felt kind of bad right after I got it because we've always done fine without one and I was wondering if it was worth it. I'm pretty happy now! The extension cords hadn't really been an issue but that's probably because we are just glad to have some juice. This might last a few days.

We didn't get hit hard at all, didn't even take down the patio tarp shelter. There are a few pockets of outages around town and on the islands though. Luckily there is no rain in the forecast so I don't have to rig a generator shelter. I plan on working on that though. I don't need anything fancy because it's a portable one and just stays in the mudroom but if the weather were bad I would need it to be raised and to have a top.

I have a bunch of spare wood and could make something. I might even put big wheels on it so I could roll it over my yard easily. I want it to be open on the sides and have holes on the bottom for air. The top could flip up for refueling.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By boolzi:
I was at harbor freight today and the 2000 predator is going to be priced at $339 over the weekend. I tried to by some but they told me the sale doesn't start til tomorrow. They said I could pay $30 for a membership and buy it today or could come back tomorrow or even buy it online tomorrow for $339. Their website shows the sale but it isn't showing the sale price. I guess today members get the early pricing. Worth checking out if your in the market for one.
View Quote
$339 or $439? The weekend flyer I got said the sale price is $439.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok I'm starting to see the appeal of a transfer switch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#37]
^ LOL - You'll have a 25 KW Cummins on order by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 3:54:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami_JBT] [#38]

otherwise ok?

View All Quotes

otherwise ok?

Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

https://i.imgur.com/8tx4OGh.jpg
We will do that when we move out of this house and into a bigger one. Right now extension cords work. Ain't perfect, but it works.

Yeah, we suffered some damage but we're doing fine.

That first pic I posted was me working during the storm.

Oh what fun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
At the store they were stacked up under a tent with $339 on them. That’s when I started the conversation. I’ll go by there this morning because I’m seeing $439 online.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#40]

At the store they were stacked up under a tent with $339 on them. That’s when I started the conversation. I’ll go by there this morning because I’m seeing $439 online.
View Quote
I am going to go over to my HF just in case.......
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Our electricity came back on after 11pm. Almost 24 hours!

Which is nothing compared to what others are facing. We got comparable to a seasonal storm with mediocre rain and brisk wind. I'll change the oil and check the plugs and filter after work, it'll be ready to go again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:03:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: APBullet] [#42]
View All Quotes

Online shows $439 for the sidewalk sale.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Aldi generators were still full price here in NOVA as of last night.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I called, they were stacked under wrong price. Said they fixed it yesterday. The price was actually $349 not $339 and was for another generator they had.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
Aldi generators were still full price here in NOVA as of last night.
View Quote
If you don’t have a generator at all, I’d get the HF 3500.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:29:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#46]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

View Quote
Just came back from HF. They had a "open box" 3500 in the clearance section for $475....damn, I don't need it but was close to buying it.... just because.   Looked brand new.

Picked up a Predator parallel kit and now to see if my Workzone 2000 and Quipall 2200 will work with it.  Paid $249 and $299 for those two respectively and they suit my purposes well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
View Quote
My living situation makes the smaller generator more practical.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm doing fine with extension cords. In the past we managed without even a generator.

Nobody is going to be here in a little while, I don't think I should leave it running with nobody here so I'll have to turn it off and go to work as soon as my fridge and freezer are cool enough to suit me.  I'm also making coffee.

There isn't really any room or shelter to put one where my box is. I have it on the patio right now where there is an awning, but not enclosed. The extension cords are easy to run, two of the will reach the entire house.

I have been bandying about the idea of a transfer switch though. Only problem is moving the generator across the uneven lawn. Plus it's only a 3500 HF inverter.

I'm going to continue thinking about it.  Right now I would like to just go to work but I'm not sure about the safety of leaving a running generator with nobody home. My next door neighbor is home and I might go there when he wakes up to see if he needs to plug in.

Not everyone is out of electricity, it's patchy here. We see neighbors that have it down the street.  Hopefully it won't be long for us.
View Quote
If the genny is on a frame, look into a wheel kit.  Or replace the crappy, skinny hard tires with some knobby offroad tires.  All you gotta do is match up the axle size.  If you're handy you can make one; it's really only solid rod, washers, cotter pins and some brackets.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#49]
A small generator is always good sense from the standpoint of practicality.  Especially one of those little quiet ones.  When the power's out it gets really quiet in the neighborhood.  You don't want to advertise you have a nice high dollar piece of gear sitting out in the yard after dark.  A small one that will power your furnace or boiler through the night and not call attention to it is a very good thing.  Fuel savings are also significant.  Then you crank up the beast in the morning to chill off the refrigerator and freezer again and let your wife dry and fix her hair.  A happy wife is a happy life in a power outage.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't see that the HF inverter generators have s 240v output. Is that correct? Can they be ran in series to get 240v?
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top