Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:18:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lizARdman15] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By criio1:
I don't see that the HF inverter generators have s 240v output. Is that correct? Can they be ran in series to get 240v?
View Quote
Nope, not even in parallel unless you get fancy with a converter

The only inverter genny that has 240 is the Honda 7000

ETA: I may be wrong or at least that unit is the smallest, cheapest available that has 240

Also, pg 40 ownage
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#2]
Originally Posted By criio1:
I don't see that the HF inverter generators have s 240v output. Is that correct? Can they be ran in series to get 240v?
View Quote
No.

240V inverter generators run around $4000 or more.

Since most household loads are 120V, you can bridge L1 and L2 and provide 120V to those loads on both legs with a single generator.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:46:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#3]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

No.

Since most household loads are 120V, you can bridge L1 and L2 and provide 120V to those loads on both legs with a single generator.
View Quote
I also have this AiPower Noise and Smoke 12000/9000: ($800 at Sam's Club)

Specifications
12,000 starting watts
9,000 running watts
High-performance alternator
Ergonomically angled compact control panel
Push button provides effortless start
Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator(AVR) helps minimize voltage fluctuations and deliver consistent stable power under load
7-gallon, large heavy-duty all steel construction fuel tank provides up to nine hours of run time at 50% load
High-quality, bright red, powder coat finish is attractive yet rustproof
Built-in ergonmically designed hand and 9.5 in. never flat wheels provide easy mobility
Low oil shut down automatically protects engine from potential damage
12V-14AH maintenance free battery included
Digital hour meter for monitoring runtimes and scheduling of maintenance intervals
Four NEMA 120VAC 20A, GFCI protected outlets
One NEMA 120VAC 30A,L14-30R twist-lock outlet
One NEMA 120/240VAC 50A, 14-50R industrial grade outlet
One 12VDC 8.3A adapter plug- can be used for recharging the battery or with USB adapter
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By boolzi:
I was at harbor freight today and the 2000 predator is going to be priced at $339 over the weekend. I tried to by some but they told me the sale doesn’t start til tomorrow. They said I could pay $30 for a membership and buy it today or could come back tomorrow or even buy it online tomorrow for $339. Their website shows the sale but it isn’t showing the sale price. I guess today members get the early pricing. Worth checking out if your in the market for one.
View Quote

I see it for $439 on their site.  Is their supposed to be a coupon?  I would buy one at $339...
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

https://scene7.samsclub.com/is/image/samsclub/0085121700611_A?wid=1500&hei=1500&fmt=jpg&qlt=80
View Quote
phatmax,
I just got me a Champion 9200/11,500 model 100110 a couple weeks ago from Electric Generators Direct for $935 with free shipping.

It has the 50 amp 240v outlet and runs my Generlink which has a max of 10k watts running.

I had been looking for another HF 2000w invertor until I got this. Now, I likely will only use the HF 2k for expected limited events or camping,etc.

I looked at the AI, but there was something about it that I didn't like over the Champion(wish I could remember now)
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I meant parallel.

Anyways for what it's worth I have a Honda (non inverter) and I ran a 240v 30a outdoor RV hookup to the outside wall. When I need to run a generator I kill the main and all of the 240v breakers that the generator can't support, and I plug in a heavy duty custom made SO cable from the generator in a detached garage to the RV outlet.

The outlet is nice because Its universal. The SO cable was expensive, but it's  specifically made to handle the amperage over that distance.

I'd like to ruin an exhaust thimble through the wall so the generator can be ran with the doors closed, but a custom made one is about as expensive as a high end generator and I'm not wanting to take that DIY-burn the building down chance.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]

https://scene7.samsclub.com/is/image/samsclub/0085121700611_A?wid=1500&hei=1500&fmt=jpg&qlt=80

Specifications
12,000 starting watts
9,000 running watts
Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator(AVR) helps minimize voltage fluctuations and deliver consistent stable power under load
7-gallon, large heavy-duty all steel construction fuel tank provides up to nine hours of run time at 50% load
Built-in ergonmically designed hand and 9.5 in. never flat wheels provide easy mobility
Digital hour meter for monitoring runtimes and scheduling of maintenance intervals
One 12VDC 8.3A adapter plug- can be used for recharging the battery or with USB adapter
View Quote
I have the Harbor Freight 7000 for the few times I need 240V.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:
Haven't had electricity since about 0130 am. It was too rainy and windy to do anything about it though. I'm fixing to set up the genny before I go to work. Need to be sure someone else is going to be here. Everyone is still sleeping.

Glad I got one when I did. Wish I had gotten another 10 guage extension cord though.
View Quote
Finally bought one at the local hdw store as a panic buy. After being without power for almost two days. Simple pleasures are nice. There is a bunch of price gouging around here. One store is selling the generic 6500 for $1300. Got a 5500 for $699. I know, but last decent one around. Looking at a week or more without power.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By boolzi:
I was at harbor freight today and the 2000 predator is going to be priced at $339 over the weekend. I tried to by some but they told me the sale doesn’t start til tomorrow. They said I could pay $30 for a membership and buy it today or could come back tomorrow or even buy it online tomorrow for $339. Their website shows the sale but it isn’t showing the sale price. I guess today members get the early pricing. Worth checking out if your in the market for one.
View Quote
I called HF and asked about them. They said I was two days late. Supposedly none below Atlanta.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

I called HF and asked about them. They said I was two days late. Supposedly none below Atlanta.
View Quote
There are shelves of them in st Pete fl. Where in GA you at?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
We will do that when we move out of this house and into a bigger one. Right now extension cords work. Ain't perfect, but it works.

Yeah, we suffered some damage but we're doing fine.

That first pic I posted was me working during the storm.

Oh what fun.
View Quote
Glad you and the Mrs are OK.  What is your genny and what all are you powering on it?  How is the fuel consumption?  Interested on how a real need setup is working out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
I panic-bought an Echo Bearcat IG2000  from a local lawn and garden place, for $900 right before Hurricane Florence. It was the only place around that had a generator. After seeing some of the deals in this thread I am pretty upset with the price I paid, especially considering that this place does not take returns.

I have not turned on yet. Maybe I can sell it to someone on craigslist and recoup some of the wasted money.

Seriously, $170 – $250 for a 2000W inverter generator? That's a damn steal if they work.
View Quote
Don't beat yourself over the purchase.  If you lose power and need it, it'll be worth $2000 to you.

If you think it was a mistake, learn from it.  What else should you buy before the next panic buy comes so you're ready for it?  Buy that now.

How are you with long term food storage?  Clean water?  Alternate heat?  Do you have enough gas for the generator?  Buy now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#13]
AAR on my Predator 3500W Inverter generator.

Last weekend we went to the drag races in Norwalk, OH and the only RV spots open were the 'No Electricity' sites.

We used that generator to run our RV through the weekend. I did install an additional 12V battery on the RV so we didn't need to run it at night but it had enough power to run our AC unit when it got hot midday without a hiccup. I had it under the slideout in case of rain (good thing I did) and when it was running you could barely hear it. I think I paid ~$600 when it was on sale.

The schmuck 2 RVs down had an open frame genny and let it run all-night.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Specifications
12,000 starting watts
9,000 running watts
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

No.

Specifications
12,000 starting watts
9,000 running watts
...it just came to me, my hf 3500 came with one of these cables. Am i supposed to be keeping the battery charged with it or does the battery charge itself?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Battery charges itself.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:40:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigJayA] [#16]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:
Battery charges itself.
View Quote
Thank you. Seems silly for it to be any other way but ive seen dumber things.
Edit for spelling.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By pdm:

There are shelves of them in st Pete fl. Where in GA you at?
View Quote
I'll check out the store down the street later. I'd jump on it for $339.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
I'll check out the store down the street later. I'd jump on it for $339.
View Quote
They're $439 on sale.  I believe that the $339 mention was mistake.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BigJayA:

...it just came to me, my hf 3500 came with one of these cables. Am i supposed to be keeping the battery charged with it or does the battery charge itself?
http://gdurl.com/OFtb
View Quote
most generators will supply 12v to charge batteries, for instance, if you are in an rv, you have a deep cycle battery and inverter setup to run things without the generator. when you fire up the generator, you can recharge the deep cycle battery.

in real life, you should just get a battery charger, and use that, as you can supply more amps from the charger, than through the generator 12v circuit
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Can anyone suggest a good generator for me. I need it for my office. I'd like to power 4 computers, a copier, and one of those portable a.c. units. I haven't bought the a.c. unit either.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Any more reviews on the 2000W from Aldi?

It’s $249 around me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

It's $249 around me.
View Quote
Get it

It's a rebranded pulsar. Info on the last couple of pages
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#23]

It's $249 around me.
View Quote
Someone posted earlier that it is made by Pulsar.  For $249 I would only have to debate between buying one or two...
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cm:
Get it

It's a rebranded pulsar. Info on the last couple of pages
View Quote
Originally Posted By orion251:
Someone posted earlier that it is made by Pulsar.  For $249 I would only have to debate between buying one or two...
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Thank you
View Quote
I purchased two @169.99 each. I ran them for an hour or so and they work fine. Installing hour meters today and I will finish breaking them in.

I'll be using a Harbor Freight parallel kit with them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#26]

It’s $249 around me.
View Quote
Just bought one but won’t break it in until next week. Also bought a parallel kit from HF and will see if it connects to my 2200 quipall. I believe they’re all from the same manufacturer
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Breaking in the Pulsar I got during the last Ebay coupon code.  Added the oil they supplied, some gas I had in the garage (gas was treated but not ethanol free).  Also using a magnetic oil plug that I got from Amazon.  It started on the first pull.....  Plugged in a 1000w hot plate and letting it run.  Will drain the oil and replace with Mobile 1 5W30 and swap out the plug for a NGK when break in is complete.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:25:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin] [#28]
Originally Posted By orion251:
Breaking in the Pulsar I got during the last Ebay coupon code.  Added the oil they supplied, some gas I had in the garage (gas was treated but not ethanol free).  Also using a magnetic oil plug that I got from Amazon.  It started on the first pull.....  Plugged in a 1000w hot plate and letting it run.  Will drain the oil and replace with Mobile 1 5W30 and swap out the plug for a NGK when break in is complete.
View Quote
Do you have a link to the oil plug?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:52:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saker13] [#29]
The one I bought....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Menards

Got (2) of these with the parallel kit for $1,020 after mail in rebates.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By tarfin:
Glad you and the Mrs are OK.  What is your genny and what all are you powering on it?  How is the fuel consumption?  Interested on how a real need setup is working out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tarfin:
We will do that when we move out of this house and into a bigger one. Right now extension cords work. Ain't perfect, but it works.

Yeah, we suffered some damage but we're doing fine.

That first pic I posted was me working during the storm.

Oh what fun.
I have an older 5250w clunker that produces dirty energy. I run it during the day to power the fridge and AC. At night I run my HF Predator 2000w Inverter to power the bedroom AC, lights, and fan. The Predator does a gallon a in 18 hours. The 5250 has a seven gallon tank and I only put one gallon in it.

I started off with both gennies full plus 27 gallons. I'm down to about 15-17 gallons plus what is in the gennies at the moment.

Personally, I'm burnt out working Alpha/Bravo and swapping between doing shit in the day to keep my wife comfortable and safe for the evening when I'm out working. I'm getting maybe 3 to 4 hours of sleep a day right now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#32]

They're $439 on sale.  I believe that the $339 mention was mistake.
View Quote
Yeah, that's what it was in the store. Two in stock. I probably should've snagged one. 4000 > 2000 and all.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Engineer:

I purchased two @169.99 each. I ran them for an hour or so and they work fine. Installing hour meters today and I will finish breaking them in.

I'll be using a Harbor Freight parallel kit with them.
View Quote
When do you buy them at that price?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:44:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer] [#34]
Originally Posted By ffemt596:

When do you buy them at that price?
View Quote
Two of the local Aldi's were clearing them out at that price. One still had a couple left after I got mine.

Attachment Attached File

Been breaking them in today. Still have another half an hour and then they'll be ready for oil changes. The parallel kit from Harbor Freight works fine - had to use a meter to figure out which connection on the generator was neutral and line, but otherwise it was plug and play.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Aldi are down to about $259 in NOVA.  I expect if there are any still around in a week the price will drop again.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Just came back from HF. They had a "open box" 3500 in the clearance section for $475....damn, I don't need it but was close to buying it.... just because.   Looked brand new.

Picked up a Predator parallel kit and now to see if my Workzone 2000 and Quipall 2200 will work with it.  Paid $249 and $299 for those two respectively and they suit my purposes well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

If you don’t have a generator at all, I’d get the HF 3500.
Just came back from HF. They had a "open box" 3500 in the clearance section for $475....damn, I don't need it but was close to buying it.... just because.   Looked brand new.

Picked up a Predator parallel kit and now to see if my Workzone 2000 and Quipall 2200 will work with it.  Paid $249 and $299 for those two respectively and they suit my purposes well.
Oh my, I would have fo’ed so hard.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I've tried to read this entire thread, but I'm not seeing a lot of feedback on the A-iPower units. I was all set to pick up a Honda EU2200i, but the price that Sam's has now on this A-iPower is tempting:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/sua2300i-2300w-inverter-gen/prod22271213.ip?xid=plp_product_1_6

Regular $499, but now $50 off. Couple that with 5% back with a Chase card this quarter and that makes it a net of around $425.

It appears to be similar to the other 79cc Chinese models, but I'm unsure whether to take a chance or just stick with the Honda. I've already got a couple of 4,000 watt smokers, just looking for something a little quieter and easier to handle for around the house.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:21:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer] [#38]
Originally Posted By RTX:
I've tried to read this entire thread, but I'm not seeing a lot of feedback on the A-iPower units. I was all set to pick up a Honda EU2200i, but the price that Sam's has now on this A-iPower is tempting:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/sua2300i-2300w-inverter-gen/prod22271213.ip?xid=plp_product_1_6

Regular $499, but now $50 off. Couple that with 5% back with a Chase card this quarter and that makes it a net of around $425.

It appears to be similar to the other 79cc Chinese models, but I'm unsure whether to take a chance or just stick with the Honda. I've already got a couple of 4,000 watt smokers, just looking for something a little quieter and easier to handle for around the house.
View Quote
I have an A-iPower SC2000i which is the 2000W model with the Yamaha engine and while I don't have too many hours on it, so far I've been happy with it. I called A-iPower to get a spare air filter and they sent one out to me at no charge.

One minus is that they only have one 120V 5-20R outlet but they do have a L5-30R outlet built in.

The EU2200i has a bigger engine (121cc) and from what I've seen, Honda's seem better at handling loads over the running wattage rating.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh my, I would have fo'ed so hard.
View All Quotes

If you don't have a generator at all, I'd get the HF 3500.

Oh my, I would have fo'ed so hard.
Hf in shawnee ok had 2 open box 3500 on clearance for 450 each with 25% of. I didn't need them though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Two of the local Aldi's were clearing them out at that price. One still had a couple left after I got mine.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56/0801D5DF-8FF1-494B-8AEC-229B98F69E26_jpeg-705438.JPG
Been breaking them in today. Still have another half an hour and then they'll be ready for oil changes. The parallel kit from Harbor Freight works fine - had to use a meter to figure out which connection on the generator was neutral and line, but otherwise it was plug and play.
View Quote
I've been to four Aldi in the last few days.

Three of the four have simply removed their generators from display rather than put them on clearance. They have a bunch of other summer merchandise at 1/2 price.

One still has the same four generators they've had in stock for the last 2 or 3 months, at full price. I'm checking there every day. It's frustrating
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By danpass:

My personal experience was such that I went to the trouble of installing a dedicated generator outlet on the wall outside, wiring it into the breaker panel, and installing a manual transfer switch to cut the panel from the main.

But I tend to be the type to go through as much trouble as necessary to create incredible ease on the other side.

Now I just throw the transfer switch, plug genny into wall, and start genny .

Everything that ran on 120, once again runs on 120 lol (the 240 circuits won't see that voltage so I just leave those breakers on)

When power comes back on, turn off genny, unplug and store, throw transfer switch.  No extension cables, power strips, ad infinitum, to mess with
View Quote
looks like you just ensured the power stays on permanently
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#42]
Originally Posted By recoiljunky:
Can anyone suggest a good generator for me. I need it for my office. I'd like to power 4 computers, a copier, and one of those portable a.c. units. I haven't bought the a.c. unit either.
View Quote
Be aware that most printers and copiers draw a huge surge of power when they first fire up.  Check the specs on yours before you put it on any kind of backup power.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#43]

I have an A-iPower SC2000i which is the 2000W model with the Yamaha engine and while I don't have too many hours on it, so far I've been happy with it. I called A-iPower to get a spare air filter and they sent one out to me at no charge.

One minus is that they only have one 120V 5-20R outlet but they do have a L5-30R outlet built in.

The EU2200i has a bigger engine (121cc) and from what I've seen, Honda's seem better at handling loads over the running wattage rating.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. That's good to know about the A-iPower customer service. The 50% larger engine of the Honda seems like it would be more reliable handling the big loads, but everyone seems relatively happy with the 79's, too, so I'm unsure how important the extra displacement is.

I like Honda products, but considering an end price of $425-430 for the A-iPower - less than half the price - it might be worth taking a chance. I had considered saving a few bucks with the Harbor unit, but that sale price from Sam's makes it hard to resist.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:30:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Global_Cooling] [#44]
Ebay has a DuroMax XP4850EH genny on sale

Great generator for $299. Its dual fuel and got me through this hurricane without any issues. I ran my fridge, freezer, fans, tv, bluray.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I have an older 5250w clunker that produces dirty energy. I run it during the day to power the fridge and AC. At night I run my HF Predator 2000w Inverter to power the bedroom AC, lights, and fan. The Predator does a gallon a in 18 hours. The 5250 has a seven gallon tank and I only put one gallon in it.

I started off with both gennies full plus 27 gallons. I'm down to about 15-17 gallons plus what is in the gennies at the moment.

Personally, I'm burnt out working Alpha/Bravo and swapping between doing shit in the day to keep my wife comfortable and safe for the evening when I'm out working. I'm getting maybe 3 to 4 hours of sleep a day right now.
View Quote
Hang in there things are going to get better.  Is there anything you need that would help?  Not sure if deliveries are up and running but if there's something you need maybe we can get it close enough for you to pick up somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:16:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: choppystx] [#46]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:

Nope, not even in parallel unless you get fancy with a converter

The only inverter genny that has 240 is the Honda 7000

ETA: I may be wrong or at least that unit is the smallest, cheapest available that has 240

Also, pg 40 ownage
View Quote
What about the Briggs and Stratton Q6500?  I believe it does 240V.  $1260 at Home Depot

Briggs Q6500

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:57:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SHD] [#47]
nope
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SHD:
For those in the area of Missouri City, TX, the Aldi is renovating and the manager wants the generators gone.  There are 2 or 3 left.

They are marked $249, but if you'll ask, he'll ring them up for $99 each, plus tax.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199953/20181017_195627_jpg-708689.JPG
View Quote
Damn, I thought $169.99 was a deal.

You. Win.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:02:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SHD] [#49]
jklhj
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By choppystx:
What about the Briggs and Stratton Q6500?  I believe it does 240V.  $1260 at Home Depot

Briggs Q6500

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/c56a1dbf-677a-45a9-927b-5b5359a0e880/svn/briggs-stratton-inverter-generators-030675-64_1000.jpg
View Quote
Well, I'll be!!

It does have 240v capability, but it is only a 30 amp with @4800 watt running. The 6500 is surge.

But yes, very much the same but cheaper than the Honda.  It is B&S, so there is that.
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top