Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: Yesterday 11:19:29 AM EDT
This is sort of a follow-on thread after my initial question about the safest type of action found here.

Competitive shooting seems to have increased in popularity over the last several decades.  Lots of folks are shooting in practical shooting matches.  

We are seeing gun manufacturers offering more and more options designed to aid the competitive shooter in getting faster times.  Many of these design changes are finding their way into guns that are intended for everyday concealed carry.

As a whole, have the competitive shooting community and the gun manufacturers shifted the overall availability of gun features more towards competitive capability rather than concealment, safety and reliability?

Do competition-focused features make a better, more effective concealed carry defensive gun, or do they make it less concealable, and/or less safe to carry across a broad range of experience levels and less reliable if they collect some lint?

I think it's probably pretty common that competitive shooters carry a different gun and holster type than they compete with, especially those who shoot matches that don't require drawing from concealment.  This choice to carry a different gun for protection sort of reinforces the idea that features that make for a great competition gun aren't optimal for a defensive concealed carry gun.

So to get back to the title question, are we seeing fewer choices for guns that are designed solely for concealed carry due to the influence of competitive shooting on the gun industry?  Or is this influence entirely positive?
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:22:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheRealBluedog] [#1]
It’s really hard to consider your question when you don’t cite any examples. I can’t think of anything on my carry guns that is there because of competitive shooting. A nicer trigger? OK. One of the reasons I chose the P365X over the Glock G43X was that I preferred the trigger. But I certainly wouldn’t call it a competition trigger.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Give me a specific example.

Safety is a paramount concern in the shooting sports.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, there are more carry sized guns available now than ever before, so I don't know what you're smoking.  Competition shooters are a very niche market, and some companies cater to them, but a lot more companies focus on the CCW crowd.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say no.

My comp Gun is a usually either G17 or G34 with TruGlo TFO Green Night Sights and Threaded barrel in a Cross Breed IWB holster.
My carry Gun is a usually either G17 or G34 with TruGlo TFO Green Night Sights and Threaded barrel in a Cross Breed IWB holster.

I am comfortable, confident and proficient with both guns in both situations.  

You decide.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#5]
PCSL added an ACP (Actual Carry Pistol) division for people that want to shoot their CCW pistols vs their carry optics gun.  The biggest difference is mag capacity is 15, instead of 21. I think it's also IWB required.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:39:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ceetee] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By anesvick:
OP, there are more carry sized guns available now than ever before, so I don't know what you're smoking.  Competition shooters are a very niche market, and some companies cater to them, but a lot more companies focus on the CCW crowd.
View Quote

This.  There are more compact, subcompact, and micro-sized options to choose from than I could ever imagine.  If anything, having more people competing has helped define what works and what doesn't in a time-oriented scenario.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I ain't carrying this brick!
Not sure why they even have rails on em

Belts a lil different too lmao

Just because Optics Ready models are more and more common on carry guns, I don't think thats a result of competition trickle down.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#8]
No. From what I've seen in sales, the top cc handguns are things like LCP and all it's spin offs plus the offerings from S&W and the Sig p365.
Sights are about the only thing I can see the competition might have influenced .
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#9]
There are more CCW oriented options now than ever.

I shoot my gamer gun from my gamer belt rig, and when I'm done I stick my IWB stock glock in my pants for the ride home.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
PCSL added an ACP (Actual Carry Pistol) division for people that want to shoot their CCW pistols vs their carry optics gun.  The biggest difference is mag capacity is 15, instead of 21. I think it's also IWB required.
View Quote

I might run a match or 2 next year in ACP division instead of Limited Optics. Just for shits n giggles.

Since before I got my Shadow 2, I was running my G19 anyways albeit in a safariland holster. Now that I'm losing my gut, I'm going to dabble in appendix holsters and practice.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:02:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#11]
Yes, aiming is a perishable skill. It's what separates us from savages and shit chucking apes

Link Posted: Yesterday 12:06:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cj3waker] [#12]
It seemed like a few years ago the trend in the CCW world was how small and light can we make this striker gun and how many rounds can we stuff in it.

The trend now seems to be for bigger more shootable guns but still trying to hedge them into that CCW category. The p365 Fuse, metal framed M&Ps (*insert trump voice* "and others"), and needing a full size light on every compact gun are examples that come to mind. Some of this probably comes from the recent changes to IDPA and USPSA, and a lot of it probably comes from insta/youtube. I think bigger, more shootable guns are great, but I really don't want to carry one all day.

I carry an original P365 with a wilson grip module most of the time, either in a kydex holster at 3oclock or a lot of the time in a smart carry nasty underwear thing. And sometimes if I'm feeling sporty I'll carry my G19.3 in a crossbreed supertuck. These are not the most superior guns nor the most superior ways to carry. But I think they are the most comfortable. I shoot carry optics with a Zev OZ9 and for some reason own G19 and P365 macro setups with lights on them and bigger kydex holsters. But I never seem to carry any of those guns.

Should I probably be competing with the guns I carry? Yes...but I should probably do a lot of things I don't. And I have more fun shooting better guns in a match

I think the coolest new CCW thing to hit the market is the bodyguard 2.0. I have no use for one over my p365 but still want one
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By smullen:
I would say no.

My comp Gun is a usually either G17 or G34 with TruGlo TFO Green Night Sights and Threaded barrel in a Cross Breed IWB holster.
My carry Gun is a usually either G17 or G34 with TruGlo TFO Green Night Sights and Threaded barrel in a Cross Breed IWB holster.
View Quote

that's excellent.  i wonder what percentage you represent though.   i wonder if its even 5%.  

i'm sure that most competitive shooters are more highly skilled anyway (than the average joe with a 642 shoved in his pocket) -- so it probably doesn't matter much anyway...
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
Give me a specific example.

Safety is a paramount concern in the shooting sports.
View Quote

Well things like the shift away from some of the DAO and DA/SA actions, for starters.  Few competitive shooters are going to want 2 different trigger pulls.  But arguably this is much safer for a carry gun that will most likely be used at melee distances. For example, Smith and Wesson's site has a concealed carry filter and all of the semiautos there are striker fired.  They used to make DA/SA guns but no longer do.

Prior to the explosion of Glock onto the scene (lol) many manufacturers made DA/SA guns.  But the cheaper to manufacture polymer framed striker fired guns have taken over the industry.  I think part of the popularity is they are more affordable.  Another part of it is the consistent trigger pull.  

So I think the shift away from the DA/SA action was driven by factors other than suitability for safe CCW carry and was more driven by economic and competition attributes.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
This is sort of a follow-on thread after my initial question about the safest type of action found here.

Competitive shooting seems to have increased in popularity over the last several decades.  Lots of folks are shooting in practical shooting matches.  

We are seeing gun manufacturers offering more and more options designed to aid the competitive shooter in getting faster times.  Many of these design changes are finding their way into guns that are intended for everyday concealed carry.

As a whole, have the competitive shooting community and the gun manufacturers shifted the overall availability of gun features more towards competitive capability rather than concealment, safety and reliability?

Do competition-focused features make a better, more effective concealed carry defensive gun, or do they make it less concealable, and/or less safe to carry across a broad range of experience levels and less reliable if they collect some lint?

I think it's probably pretty common that competitive shooters carry a different gun and holster type than they compete with, especially those who shoot matches that don't require drawing from concealment.  This choice to carry a different gun for protection sort of reinforces the idea that features that make for a great competition gun aren't optimal for a defensive concealed carry gun.

So to get back to the title question, are we seeing fewer choices for guns that are designed solely for concealed carry due to the influence of competitive shooting on the gun industry?  Or is this influence entirely positive?
View Quote

When was the last time you were in a real fight. Not even a gun fight, even a fist fight ?

It’s literally a competition…. And time is absolutely as much a factor as accuracy.

Now, if your question is, does the move to Striker fired guns as opposed to guns with double action or double action only triggers mean that people can substitute mechanical design for safe gun handling the answer is no.

Link Posted: Yesterday 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, remember all the subcompact double stack guns that were available 15 years ago?  Where'd they all go?
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:
I ain't carrying this brick!
Not sure why they even have rails on em

https://i.imgur.com/27Mc7Qm.jpeg

Belts a lil different too lmao
https://i.imgur.com/SHepvVN.jpeg

Just because Optics Ready models are more and more common on carry guns, I don't think thats a result of competition trickle down.
View Quote

It's got a rail because it's an issued duty gun for some agencies in Europe.

OP's question is rather more interesting if we talk about duty and competition guns, I think.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Well things like the shift away from some of the DAO and DA/SA actions, for starters.  Few competitive shooters are going to want 2 different trigger pulls.  But arguably this is much safer for a carry gun that will most likely be used at melee distances. For example, Smith and Wesson's site has a concealed carry filter and all of the semiautos there are striker fired.  They used to make DA/SA guns but no longer do.

Prior to the explosion of Glock onto the scene (lol) many manufacturers made DA/SA guns.  But the cheaper to manufacture polymer framed striker fired guns have taken over the industry.  I think part of the popularity is they are more affordable.  Another part of it is the consistent trigger pull.  

So I think the shift away from the DA/SA action was driven by factors other than suitability for safe CCW carry and was more driven by economic and competition attributes.
View Quote

I’ve got news for you but DA/SA rules Production and Carry Optics.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't really agree with your supposition at all, there have never been more good options for carry guns than we have today.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I’d say no.  I carry & shoot a 43x with a dot.  It’s nice to get live round reps with a clock to add some stress.

My match setup is my carry setup, but ball ammo instead of defense rounds
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Scott-S6:

OP's question is rather more interesting if we talk about duty and competition guns, I think.
View Quote

I don’t think anyone is issuing Shadow 2’s.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't agree at all. Only the craziest boomer equipped with the finest uncle Mike's tactical equipment feels the need to CCW a Tactical Sport. Those guns may have influenced carry options by introducing similar but more compact models (the shadow line again springs to mind), but the vast majority of people don't carry anything akin to gamer guns at all. 365s, shields, 43s, LCPs, and the like are dominant from what I observe of people who carry regularly and attempt to conceal it.

The shooting sports have definitely influenced the acceptance of dot sights on carry guns, which is certainly a positive thing.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:28:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott-S6] [#24]

View Quote

I think that suitability for duty carry was a bigger concern here than competition. A striker fired guns is easier to shoot adequately for someone with minimal pistol training than a DA/SA. Contracts for police and mil guns is much more lucrative than selling to competition shooters.

DA/SA was driven by LEO requests for a pistol with a trigger familiar to revolver shooters.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott-S6] [#25]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The SP01 Shadow was/is issued to special units in a few countries. Ditching the rail would have eliminated the Shadow2 for those customers.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ICEAGE] [#26]
I don't think its necessarily negative. But I truly question how many guys actually carry a full/midsize gun with a RMR and weapon light on them.  Which seems to be extremely 'popular' right now.

When I'm off work I wear gym shorts and a t-shirt or joggers and a t/hoodie about 95% of the time. I typically hit the gym every afternoon so that means being able to carry a gun out running errands and just tuck it in the gym bag while working out. Then back on me when I leave. Typically go out to eat/continue running errands after that. I typically have a three gun rotate of Bodyguard .380, Glock 43 and P365. All of my holsters can be dropped in a pocket or tucked into an elastic waistband. Depending on what I'm wearing and how it carries... I always have a gun on me when I leave the house. I'd say 90% of my pistol shooting would be with these guys or a similar sized gun.

I know guys that carry full/mid sized guns with a light and RMR. Seems like  they really only 'carry' their gun when they can dress around it. Most of them aren't able to carry it at work (Know a lot of guys in medical field, who do manual labor, etc.) They certainly don't carry it to/from the gym. Or when they run in the store or to grab a bite after the gym. Etc. Furthermore all of their range time is shooting/practicing with a large gun with a RMR and weapon light.  Seems like about 80% of the time they leave their gun in the house/truck. I get it, these guns are fun to shoot/compete with. And they are the gun you shoot the best. But is it really a practical gun to conceal for defensive purposes?

Not necessarily a knock on competitive shooting or competitive/tactical style pistols. I just feel like its a different market. I still think carry guns should be as slim/light-weight and compact as possible. And they should be carried. Not left in your truck.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone who defends striker fired non manual safety CCDW, while attacking Cocked and locked is a hypocrite.

I've moved to SA 1911 carry and appendix Carry a CZ with Decocker or 1911 cocked locked

At times I Appendix CC the p10c

I never " fast reholster" the striker fired carry guns, it goes on in the holster, it comes out in drills, and the reholster is eyes on slow and clear holster typically with a tucked in shirt
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't understand. There's more awesome CCW guns out now then ever before. When I got my P938 10 years ago there wasn't much in that size range that was really worth a shit in 9mm. Now there's a freaking neverending stream of guns. The sig P320 and P365 with their FCG based design is awesome, especially for those in a restrictive state that making having just a single gun easier that can be swapped around in size.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#29]

I’ve got news for you but DA/SA rules Production and Carry Optics.
View Quote

Yup, OP has no idea what he is talking about.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#30]

The SP01 Shadow was/is issued to special units in a few countries. Ditching the rail would have eliminated the Shadow2 for those customers.
View Quote

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's hard to imagine units selecting the SP-01 Shadow over the base SP-01 or the SP-01 Tactical. Are you sure you're referring to the Shadow version?
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Huge L take.
More people being into matches is a net positive.
The proliferation of red dots on carry guns is a net positive.
Lightweight double stack subcompact slims are in abundance.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Competition guns lead to….

Heavier guns
Better triggers
Magwells
More aggressive grips/checkering
Adoption of dots on handguns
Better iron sights
Increasing use of forward cocking serrations
Higher capacity mags/mag extensions
An increased understanding of recoil springs (I.e. heavier isn’t better)

Don’t even start on rifles….

Does this translate to my carry guns? Some of it. I don’t want a heavy carry gun but capacity, trigger, sights, etc are important.

You can’t separate out the influence of a small group of people who shoot a metric shit ton of ammo willing to experiment for the slightest edge. They are not looking to sacrifice reliability because that means you lose. But they understand EXACTLY what it takes for a gun to run reliably. Most people, including the dirt shooters, cops, weekend warriors, etc. just do not have the skill, measurements, motivation, etc to move the needle on firearms advancements.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#33]
My short answer is no. Maybe if you had some specific examples OP I could address them.

We have many, many more options now.  I'm not a competition shooter, but my son and grandson are. From what I'm told Carry Optics and Production are the most popular classes. My son has a "race gun" that he never shoots these days.

When I was shooting in competition it was PPC. I can't think of anyone that actually carried a bull-barreled Colt or S&W revolver with an Aristocrat rib. Not so with a modern Carry Optics or Production pistol.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#34]
The single biggest issue in concealed carry is people who can carry, opting out instead. Even gun nuts.

Anything that increases the size of the gun contributes to that problem.

A lot more people would carry everywhere if the only gun in the world was a LCP than if it were a Roland Special.

In before the “I EDC a X” ( except for at work, the post office, the gym, the bar, on dates, long drives, restaurants that sell alcohol, the beach, the pool, playing golf, jogging, playing basketball, church, weddings, funerals, and at home.)

Link Posted: Yesterday 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Carry guns are better than ever.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:
Carry guns are better than ever.
View Quote

They are. We just have to avoid telling the non gun nut gun carrier that he needs to add a RDS, Comp and +5 baseplate to his perfectly suitable carry gun. Otherwise he might do so then leave it in his truck because it’s not so handy and easy to hide anymore.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
IDPA, IPSC, etc are games, nothing more.  Like most shooting games they eventually turn into an equipment race that has nothing to do with the real world.  IDPA tried to be more real world but ultimately failed.  At the last match I was at most of the folks were running Staccatos with dots and god knows what else.  Practical carry gun?  Not even close.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HCM3156:

When was the last time you were in a real fight. Not even a gun fight, even a fist fight ?

It's literally a competition . And time is absolutely as much a factor as accuracy.

Now, if your question is, does the move to Striker fired guns as opposed to guns with double action or double action only triggers mean that people can substitute mechanical design for safe gun handling the answer is no.

View Quote

That's not my question.  My question is which designs are more forgiving of unsafe handling.  There is no substitute for knowledge and personal responsibility.  But, I've seen enough videos of people shooting the floor, their leg, their dick, whatever to know that some people struggle with safe gun handling.  These people shouldn't carry guns.  

But I wonder how many of these incidences would have been avoided if they had been using a different kind of gun?
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#39]

I've got news for you but DA/SA rules Production and Carry Optics.
View Quote

Are they lowering the hammer before the start of the stage and pulling through a DA pull for the first shot?
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ceetee:

This.  There are more compact, subcompact, and micro-sized options to choose from than I could ever imagine.  If anything, having more people competing has helped define what works and what doesn't in a time-oriented scenario.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ceetee:
Originally Posted By anesvick:

Every time I look in the pistol cases at the local fun shops, over half of the available options are tiny. There might only be a handful of competition oriented models, if that.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#41]

That's not my question.  My question is which designs are more forgiving of unsafe handling.  There is no substitute for knowledge and personal responsibility.  But, I've seen enough videos of people shooting the floor, their leg, their dick, whatever to know that some people struggle with safe gun handling.  These people shouldn't carry guns.  

But I wonder how many of these incidences would have been avoided if they had been using a different kind of gun?
View Quote

What carry gun design/influence is there that is unsafe or even less safe due to competition influences? You really need to back up that assertion with some examples because outside of engineering failures from the likes of SIG and mental malfunctions I can't think of any.

Link Posted: Yesterday 2:48:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#42]

Are they lowering the hammer before the start of the stage and pulling through a DA pull for the first shot?
View All Quotes

I've got news for you but DA/SA rules Production and Carry Optics.

Yes

ETA: Depends on which division you are shooting in actually.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#43]
No. Not even close.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cj3waker] [#44]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
IDPA, IPSC, etc are games, nothing more.  Like most shooting games they eventually turn into an equipment race that has nothing to do with the real world.  IDPA tried to be more real world but ultimately failed.  At the last match I was at most of the folks were running Staccatos with dots and god knows what else.  Practical carry gun?  Not even close.
View Quote

I'd like to see a revamp that goes something along these lines, more size and weight restricted than what you have on the gun.

sub ~22oz glock 19/ p365xl sized guns
Basically your "carry" category. And you can choose between something like a loaded p365xl/g43x with comps and magwells or a stockish g19ish gun

Sub ~30oz glock 17 sized guns
Tricked out G19 with a comp and a light, G17 with some weight, stock p320

sub 40oz g34 sized guns
You get the idea

over 40 oz guns (open)
Everything else, I think it makes more sense to see stacattos and shadow 2s competing with open guns than lightweight striker guns

You can shoot any caliber in any class provided you make power factor. Major and minor scoring available to every class

Obviously it would need some more refinement - but I think something like this would be pretty cool. In the carry class you could have something like a stock G23 with major scoring competing against a comped 365x with a dot and maybe a light shooting minor (I think this is a pretty good carry gun mentality type of comparison)

And on the high end you could have the older school of open guns shooting major going up against the new limited optics series of pistols shooting minor which I also think is a pretty fair comparison

I think breaking it down into 3 sizes/ weight classes instead of 4 would be optimal. I just wouldn't wanna give up too much separation

Then you would pretty much just have light, medium and heavy categories
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
View Quote

PCSL ACP or IDPA BUG divisions.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#46]
It's just like motor sports.  Most people who compete in the different motor sports don't use their competition vehicle as a daily driver.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CFletch] [#47]
I did an IDPA match recently with a friend who brought his P365X carry gun for CO. He did better than I did with the tricked out 1911 I was using for ESP. One of the best shooters was using an old euro police surplus CZ75 Compact.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I believe that the increased popularity of competition shooting has positively influenced CCW options.  

Ten years ago, the 2011 was a competition only gun.  They were finicky, the mags were hideously expensive and failed all the time.  STI rebranding to Staccato and refocusing to carry guns and duty guns changed that in a big way.  Suddenly you can get a G19 sized gun with a 1911 grip angle that holds more rounds.  Features carry over to reduce recoil, to make the trigger better, to make the safeties easier to use and to make target acquisition faster and easier.  

All of a sudden Trijicon releases the RMR, based on the red dots from competition pistols, but tough enough to be carried and used on duty guns.  It was less than a year before everyone else followed suit.

Now a ton of the competition brands have jumped in.  You can buy custom guns, tuned for CCW from Atlas, Infinity and Akai, just to name a few.  New brands have even popped up like Stealth Arms.  We have more options than ever before and you can get exactly what you want to carry.

Do I carry a different gun than I compete with, Hell yes.  Look at this thing, it's huge and impossible to conceal.  

But the gun I carry is also a 2011, with the same Manual of Arms.  With an equally excellent trigger, with the same POI and in a pinch, I can use the same mags.  This gun is all about putting rounds on target fast and accurate, and now so is my carry gun.  

We all pray that it never happens, but if I find myself in a gunfight I also pray that I will be fast and accurate.  You can hate on competition all you want, and on competition guns.  I think the addition of the features that make them fast and accurate makes for a better CCW option, especially for anyone who knows what they're doing with a race gun.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd say largely no, competitive shooting is its own special little world.  There's been some good cross pollination in CCW like the evolution of more and more effective and reliable mini reflex/red dot sights and perhaps acceptance of small-size compensators.  I know I have both on my carry gun when 20 years ago I made do without.

I've seen some of the open carry people showing off their blinged out race guns but they're by definition a very look-at-me, look-at-me bunch.

I think competitive shooting has negatively influenced competitive shooting though, since it turns into a self-licking ice cream cone.  Very specific guns built to score best against very specific rules in a very specific shooting style.  Maybe that works for some people but it just seems so unnatural to me.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
I did an IDPA match recently with a friend who brought his P365X carry gun for CO. He did better than I did with the tricked out 1911 I was using for ESP. One of the best shooters was using an old euro police surplus CZ75 Compact.
View Quote

I didn't shoot the match but a friend was there a few weeks ago and a guy won high overall with a 26 with a dot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top