BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
Give me a specific example.

Safety is a paramount concern in the shooting sports.
View Quote
And so is reliability.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

PCSL ACP or IDPA BUG divisions.
View Quote

PCSL ACP gonna be dominated by Staccato C2s with 15rd mags, CZ Shadow 2 compacts and DWX compacts
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
It is always good to get more people shooting.

It is always good to train or practice.

Matches do both.

No negative at all.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:34:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 45-Seventy] [#4]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:

PCSL ACP gonna be dominated by Staccato C2s with 15rd mags, CZ Shadow 2 compacts and DWX compacts
View Quote

I carry a DWX compact so that tracks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to shoot competitions weekly.

For me, it had a negative impact on actual concealed carry shooting practice.

Cut down 90% on competitive shooting and put the time into dry fire.

Speaking about handgun shooting, rifle/shotgun matches are still really helpful…
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cj3waker] [#6]
Originally Posted By dustinf:
I used to shoot competitions weekly.

For me, it had a negative impact on actual concealed carry shooting practice.

Cut down 90% on competitive shooting and put the time into dry fire.

Speaking about handgun shooting, rifle/shotgun matches are still really helpful…
View Quote

I don't get that. I totally get the argument that shooting a gamer gun might not be the perfect practice vs your carry gun. But I don't see how shooting your carry gun in competition isn't the ultimate practice
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cj3waker:

I don't get that. I totally get the argument that shooting a gamer gun might not be the perfect practice vs your carry gun. But I don't see how shooting your carry gun in competition isn't the ultimate practice
View Quote

Just my opinion, but shooting on the clock makes bad habits.  Accuracy becomes less of a factor, and it’s more about stage planning/memorization.

My first force on force training class really opened my eyes.

Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deanwormer] [#8]
There's never been nor will there ever be a high level (anything beyond local/outlaw) competition environment with handguns and people widely willing to use their actual carry guns and carry gear (never mind placing high on the regional / national level)

uspsa was supposed to be the "practical" shooting discipline when it was founded.
then idpa was started because uspsa was too "gamer"
well literally no one carries in a shoot me first vest so now pcsl is giving it a go.  

better to just embrace the game. you'll learn how to shoot and it will transfer over to even your micro compact.

If you want to learn how to defend yourself with your gun. Take a good class. Or just throw 50 out of it down range after a match once a month. That's more than 90% of CCWholders do
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Just my opinion, but shooting on the clock makes bad habits.  Accuracy becomes less of a factor, and it’s more about stage planning/memorization.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

IMO, you have to Get Both (tm).

Nothing is going to inspire you to practice to the point of developing subconscious skill with a pistol like competition.  It'll drive you to dryfire far more than than you would otherwise.  It'll drive your ability to move and shoot from uncomfortable positions.  Most of all, it'll drive you to spend more time with a pistol in your hands.

From there, it ought to be damned obvious to any gamer that you NEED to take your (probably less capable and shootable) EDC out for a good shakedown more often, get into good classes with it, and run it in competition once in a while even if it'll put you at the bottom of the pack.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

Are they lowering the hammer before the start of the stage and pulling through a DA pull for the first shot?
View Quote

Yes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

100% unmitigated bullshit.

You’re not winning matches with poor accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Not CHL specifically but I was actually surprised to see the cop did not have a RMR in the recent video when he had to shoot the woman attacking him with a knife.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Interesting...

I might need to see what's out there in a compact DA/SA carry gun.  I've looked at the CZ P09 Nocturne but haven't seen one in person.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Interesting...

I might need to see what's out there in a compact DA/SA carry gun.  I've looked at the CZ P09 Nocturne but haven't seen one in person.
View Quote

I’m not crazy about the CZ poly guns. If you’re going that way either tune up a P01 or go Shadow 2 compact.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:00:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slowkota1] [#15]

Interesting...

View All Quotes

Interesting...

Fwiw PCSL rules state you can start cocked and locked if DA/SA with external safety. Which IMO is how it should be in every competiton.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:
It’s really hard to consider your question when you don’t cite any examples. I can’t think of anything on my carry guns that is there because of competitive shooting. A nicer trigger? OK. One of the reasons I chose the P365X over the Glock G43X was that I preferred the trigger. But I certainly wouldn’t call it a competition trigger.
View Quote

Same here, I shoot competitively and #1 pet peeve is the suckie trigger that most if not all general purpose pistols came with.  The P365XL came with a nice trigger comparing to similar gun like Glock but like you, I wouldn't call it anything but std general application trigger.
Now with that said, the 2011-based pistols like Staccato C 9mm comes with a 4 lbs trigger so one could point to that example as a positive influencer from competition to CCW market.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Just my opinion, but shooting on the clock makes bad habits.  Accuracy becomes less of a factor, and it's more about stage planning/memorization.

View Quote
That's absolutely wrong.

High level shooters are collecting 92-95% of available points QUICKLY.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:46:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: merick] [#18]

100% unmitigated bullshit.

You’re not winning matches with poor accuracy.
View Quote

Accuracy is relative. One game's A zone hit is another's -4.  

For that matter shooting a zone groups would put you on the wrong target face in 10m air pistol.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freerider04] [#19]

View All Quotes

If that was your takeaway I think you were doing it wrong. A zones win matches.  The top dogs even at the local club level aren't chucking rounds every which way just to get a good time.

I went at it the other way.  I had spent a good amount of time out on the range, in live fire shoot houses, and doing force on force before I got into competition.  The first thing I learned was to check my ego at the door.  The next thing I learned was competition was no different than real world shooting, it was just a different application of the basics.

I was never particularly great but I would consistently have a respectable showing.  It made me much better at work too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By merick:

For that matter shooting a zone groups would put you on the wrong target face in 10m air pistol.
View Quote

A zone is a huge target and the winner rarely hits all alphas. You can miss fast enough to win.

A miss being anything other than an A zone hit.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#21]
In every competition shooting thread, I always see a lot of bad information, likely from folks that don't do a lot of it.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:17:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 45-Seventy] [#22]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

A zone is a huge target and the winner rarely hits all alphas. You can miss fast enough to win.

A miss being anything other than an A zone hit.
View Quote

If you’re going to create new definitions for words it can be.

High level shooters are generally shooting all Alphas because of a conscious decision to work at that speed to where you’re getting 90% of the points and accept a few Charlie’s in a risk vs. reward scenario.

To tighten it up to all Alphas isn’t difficult.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

@merick

What game is that?
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:43:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Almost everything in concealed carry comes from basis in competition shooting.

Sights you can see turned into red dots. Good triggers, reliable double stack mags, kydex holsters, everything.

A good quote I read was “all real gunfights are open class” and that really rings true. It’s a “run what you brung” affair.

So my carry gun 20 years ago was a 4” gp100. Heavy with trench sights, hard to shoot well fast or reload or anything really. I was a semi pro shooter in a few sports for a while, shooting and training and dryfiring single action tuned 2011s. Today I’m picking up a “baby” 2011 to carry. 17 rounds in a small package, RMR, small light that actually works, it’s a huge improvement over the gp100 or kel tec p32

Link Posted: Yesterday 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#25]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241349/IMG_9348_jpeg-3351144.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slowkota1:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241349/IMG_9348_jpeg-3351144.JPG

I got a chance to handle one of those just last week.

Very nice.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SV650Squid:
That's absolutely wrong.

View All Quotes

Just my opinion, but shooting on the clock makes bad habits.  Accuracy becomes less of a factor, and it's more about stage planning/memorization.

That's absolutely wrong.

You’re definitely correct, but in defense of the poster you quoted, stage planning/memorization is still a huge factor.

Knowing how to game stages - such as running outside the stage (legal shooting area) to get to the next shooting position quicker - makes the difference between two otherwise equally skilled shooters, and doesn’t have a real-world application.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ajek:

You’re definitely correct, but in defense of the poster you quoted, stage planning/memorization is still a huge factor.

Knowing how to game stages - such as running outside the stage (legal shooting area) to get to the next shooting position quicker - makes the difference between two otherwise equally skilled shooters, and doesn’t have a real-world application.
View Quote

Being able to shoot while you’re moving efficiently and thinking on your feet while shooting at a high level totally doesn’t have any kind of real world application and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

Or something.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#28]

You're definitely correct, but in defense of the poster you quoted, stage planning/memorization is still a huge factor.

Knowing how to game stages - such as running outside the stage (legal shooting area) to get to the next shooting position quicker - makes the difference between two otherwise equally skilled shooters, and doesn't have a real-world application.
View Quote
Learning how to solve problems (stage planning) with a gun, even if untimed, is detrimental to real world applications how?
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:10:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: merick] [#29]

@merick

What game is that?
View All Quotes

@merick

What game is that?

Cmp/nra bullseye b6 and b8 targets. If you want to work on accuracy invest in a pack of b8s.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Cmp/nra bullseye b6 and b8 targets. If you want to work on accuracy invest in a pack of b8s.
View Quote

I’ve shot bullseye as well but it’s a far less relevant venue to the real world than an action sport.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Learning how to solve problems (stage planning) with a gun, even if untimed, is detrimental to real world applications how?
View Quote

Because people who don’t know what PractiScore even is imagine it that way.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#32]

I’ve shot bullseye as well but it’s a far less relevant venue to the real world than an action sport.
View All Quotes

I will have you know, it is called “Precision Pistol” now, and as an NRA certified coach, I can say, it certainly does not prepare you for a gunfight, but it is enjoyable enough, doesn’t take forever and relatively inexpensive compared to other shooting competitions.

Link Posted: Yesterday 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Being able to shoot while you’re moving efficiently and thinking on your feet while shooting at a high level totally doesn’t have any kind of real world application and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

Or something.
View All Quotes

Or something.

Not what I’m talking about. I mean specifically “gaming” stages. It has nothing to do with shooting and moving in the real world.

Learning how to tie shoe laces has real world applications that will make you a better shooter….

Let’s draw the line at a reasonable point.

Competitive shooting is extremely valuable, but the shortcomings should be recognized, or it’s done a disservice.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Negatively? Absolutely not, if anything competing has made my EDC gun more gamery.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:

I will have you know, it is called “Precision Pistol” now, and as an NRA certified coach, I can say, it certainly does not prepare you for a gunfight, but it is enjoyable enough, doesn’t take forever and relatively inexpensive compared to other shooting competitions.

View Quote

It’s a really good way to perfect fundamentals. I recommend everyone does it at least occasionally.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:03:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 45-Seventy] [#36]

Not what I’m talking about. I mean specifically “gaming” stages. It has nothing to do with shooting and moving in the real world.

Learning how to tie shoe laces has real world applications that will make you a better shooter….

Let’s draw the line at a reasonable point.

Competitive shooting is extremely valuable, but the shortcomings should be recognized, or it’s done a disservice.
View Quote

What is “gaming” a stage? Unpack that for me.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:27:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: merick] [#37]

View All Quotes

You wouldn't work on your draw without a holster, or your speed without a timer. I'm not saying get a range box and join the fudds at the 50 yard line, I'm saying work on accuracy with commonly available printed targets that give numerical feedback for each shot that you can record and track. Shoot them a 7 yards, shoot them a 3. They’ll tell you 100x more about what to work on than a uspsa target.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:36:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 45-Seventy] [#38]

You wouldn't work on your draw without a holster, or your speed without a timer. I'm not saying get a range box and join the fudds at the 50 yard line, I'm saying work on accuracy with commonly available printed targets that give numerical feedback for each shot that you can record and track. Shoot them a 7 yards, shoot them a 3. They’ll tell you 100x more about what to work on than a uspsa target.
View Quote

In order to perform at a medium to high level in USPSA (or any other action sport) that’s a skill set you already need. Thats something you need to have figured out to be a B-Class.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Real_PhillBert:
Negatively? Absolutely not, if anything competing has made my EDC gun more gamery.
View Quote

My carry guns of today look a lot like the open guns of a few years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

My carry guns of today look a lot like the open guns of a few years ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/IMG_7921_jpeg-3351653.JPG
View Quote

For awhile USPSA was retarded and in production(if you show up with a stock 9mm) you could only load to 10 rounds. Meanwhile all of the other classes catered to more competition shooting vs what you would actually carry. Now that you can load to 15 rounds its a little better but it's still lopsided IMO
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
In every competition shooting thread, I always see a lot of bad information, likely from folks that don't do a lot of it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:16:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#42]

In order to perform at a medium to high level in USPSA (or any other action sport) that’s a skill set you already need. Thats something you need to have figured out to be a B-Class.
View All Quotes

With good fundamentals 3 and 7 yards is point shooting, at the very least its soft sight focus and hard on the target, in a manner where you'd never miss a heart or head shot irl. Trying to hit a 1/2" square at that distance is stupid imo, all that would tell me is that I'm going too slow, do that when you're 10 yards plus not when you're in stabbing distance.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:26:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coolio] [#43]
Originally Posted By anesvick:
OP, there are more carry sized guns available now than ever before, so I don't know what you're smoking.  Competition shooters are a very niche market, and some companies cater to them, but a lot more companies focus on the CCW crowd.
View Quote

^ This.
If one thinks back twenty-five years, it's insane how many handguns have been designed expressly for the ccw market.

I would say that there is an over emphasis on ccw handguns.  An over emphasis to the detriment of full sized handguns.  If competition guns have had a negative effect, I would say that the competition gun craze has had a negative effect on full sized handguns.  And I'm thinking specifically of all the hideous S&W "Performance Center" competition revolvers.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Invest in a pack of B-40s and then we can talk...  

I'm a bullseye / ISSF 10m pistol shooter because I love the Zen of the game.  I find that fundamentals I learn in those disciplines directly apply to any "action/tactical" shooting I've done.

The only negative influence I've seen with competitive shooting on my CCW is the requirement to spend more money as I need to upgrade my CCW equipment to the new state of the art.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
I don't really agree with your supposition at all, there have never been more good options for carry guns than we have today.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

So what you're saying is, people who shoot competitively get good enough with their pistols that they can focus moreso on the situation and not manipulations/accurate hits because it's subconscious?
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:

Invest in a pack of B-40s and then we can talk...  

I'm a bullseye / ISSF 10m pistol shooter because I love the Zen of the game.  I find that fundamentals I learn in those disciplines directly apply to any "action/tactical" shooting I've done.

The only negative influence I've seen with competitive shooting on my CCW is the requirement to spend more money as I need to upgrade my CCW equipment to the new state of the art.
View Quote

Bottom line is organized shooting in any manner means more time behind the trigger and handgun shooting is a perishable skill that needs to be maintained. People shooting drills on their own once a month aren't likely to outperform the guy who's doing multiple competitions unless they have some other experience base to draw off of.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:44:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#48]

Not what I'm talking about. I mean specifically "gaming" stages. It has nothing to do with shooting and moving in the real world.

Learning how to tie shoe laces has real world applications that will make you a better shooter .

Let's draw the line at a reasonable point.

Competitive shooting is extremely valuable, but the shortcomings should be recognized, or it's done a disservice.
View All Quotes

You're definitely correct, but in defense of the poster you quoted, stage planning/memorization is still a huge factor.

Knowing how to game stages - such as running outside the stage (legal shooting area) to get to the next shooting position quicker - makes the difference between two otherwise equally skilled shooters, and doesn't have a real-world application.

Being able to shoot while you're moving efficiently and thinking on your feet while shooting at a high level totally doesn't have any kind of real world application and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

Or something.

Not what I'm talking about. I mean specifically "gaming" stages. It has nothing to do with shooting and moving in the real world.

Learning how to tie shoe laces has real world applications that will make you a better shooter .

Let's draw the line at a reasonable point.

Competitive shooting is extremely valuable, but the shortcomings should be recognized, or it's done a disservice.

I've gamed a stage before where I lined up 2 targets and shot through them both to save time and ammo.  This was a local match and the rules were pretty lax.

It has no practical real world application.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#49]

With good fundamentals 3 and 7 yards is point shooting, at the very least its soft sight focus and hard on the target, in a manner where you'd never miss a heart or head shot irl. Trying to hit a 1/2" square at that distance is stupid imo, all that would tell me is that I'm going too slow, do that when you're 10 yards plus not when you're in stabbing distance.
View Quote

I would agree with that. At that range I’d be using a soft/rough focus.

The point I was trying to make is that you should be able to shoot a tight group at that range.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#50]

The point I was trying to make is that you should be able to shoot a tight group at that range.
View All Quotes

I know what you meant, just adding to the comment.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top