Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Trimmed the finger grooves off a few glocks, cut down a FSB.

no barrel work though
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I cut the bayonet lug off the FSB for my XM177 project.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
A guy I used to work with had an old Ballester Molina with a barrel so shot out it looked like a shotgun bore.
He picked up a barrel at a gun show, but the feed ramp was all jacked off to one side, about 20 degrees from where it should have been.
"No problem", he thought, and whipped out his trusty round file.

He brought me the pistol at work the next day wrapped in a shop towel, and asked if I thought I could unfuck it.
It now had M4 feed ramps, which is no good at all on a single stack .45acp.  I told him I'd do my best, but I couldn't promise anything.

I actually got it squared away and polished up to the point that it would feed anything I tried hand cycling through it.
Runs like a top to this day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Had to open up my DD upper's rear takedown pin hole. It was so tight I had to tap in the pin with a hammer and punch it out. A little gentle sanding and it's perfect. No play at all and it works like it should.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Dehorn the lugs in the barrel extension of my blackout,  wood stock inletting and receiver bedding work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used a dremel to remove a bit of kydex from a holster.  Does that count?
View Quote
Ehhhh.....  you're really grasping at straws here.

Try a 25-cent trigger job on that Glock XXL.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
This guy builds wooden model guns with his Dremel... can he get honorable mention?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Wooden-AK/5-2133028/
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
ask a 3 gunner...
opened my loading port on my m3K

Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
If were grasping,

I used my dremel’s sander to perfectly notch the edge of my new bench to clear the Dillon handle.

Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I did the bolt catch mod on my 10/22s with a dremel.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I cut the loading port on the recoil shield of this Pietta 1858 Remington with a Dremel and sanding drum, when I installed a gated Kirst Konverter.

Back in the '90s, I used a Dremel with grinding stones to remove most of the serrations on the triggers of a couple S&W DA revolvers, to make them better for DA shooting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Cut a couple of those god awful AK muzzle devices off bushmaster AR uppers back in the day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used a dremel to remove a bit of kydex from a holster.  Does that count?

The trigger on the 19X is actually very, very nice.  I have no complaints with it honestly.  All of my other Glock's have 3.5lb connectors and they are very nice as well.

I'm a simple man with simple tastes
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I used one to cut vents in a Saiga 12 handguard.  Came out OK.  Used a ball-end cutter to cut reliefs for proper plunger tube staking on my Kimber 1911.  Came out great.  Also various small polishing jobs here and there.  If you don't do all "Bubba" a Dremel can be pretty useful.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I successfully Dre-milled the auto sear cut outs in a non-mil spec AR-15/M16 upper receiver so that I could mount the upper on M16 lowers.  Pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did the bolt catch mod on my 10/22s with a dremel.
View Quote
Anyone with a 10/22 and a Dremel is compelled to do this.  I did all 3 of my 10/22s.

Not all of us have Rockefeller money for $7 aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The trigger on the 19X is actually very, very nice.  I have no complaints with it honestly.  All of my other Glock's have 3.5lb connectors and they are very nice as well.

View Quote
Go ahead, tell me it's almost as nice as a tuned 1911 trigger.  I dare you.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.

A Dremel with a plastic bristled brush will not damage a firearm's finish and is a great way to get gunk of of internal firearms parts.

I have also used one, in a pinch, to slightly widen a FCP on a 0% lower that needed just a hair more room to fit the trigger. I was not going to put that back on the mill for what I could do in 2 minutes with a little drum sander and touch up with paint where nobody would ever see it.

Now, have I customized a firearm with a Dremel?

No. No I haven't.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Polished the feed ramp on a LLama .45, actually worked a lot better after that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't go that far but it's plenty serviceable to hit clays at 25yds offhand without much difficulty.  That's about as good of a shooter as I am anyway regardless of the handgun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Opened up the inside of a G rail so it would fit on my mega billet upper.  Worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've used mine to polish several feed ramps.  Works like a charm.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Cratex bits and those little buffer heads are great for smoothing lever guns.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes.
Polishing feed ramps on my 1911's.

ETA: I also used one to remove some tooling marks on a 1911 slide I was re-building.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh yeah. Building an AK-74 and didn’t check the fit of the gas block on the barrel before trying to press it on. And it got stuck. Insanely stuck. Finally resolved to cut it off and get a replacement.

In my enthusiasm, I cut the gas block and left cuts on the barrel as well.  Thus ending my desire to ever again build an AK
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#26]
double tap
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#27]
THREE ROUNDS RAPID FIRE!
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Friend and me cut a front sight base down into a low profile gas block.
All I can think of, and I really hope that was it.

Jay
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I had two pre-ban Colt Sporters with sear blocks, both California Registered Assault Weapons.  I wanted to remove or trim them so that I could install Geisselle trigger groups and use a standard bolt carrier.

Adco does not accept lower receivers from California for this work.  Ken Elmore no longer does this work.  I took it to my local machine shop and they tried but the sear block was too hard and they gave up.

So I purchased a StewMac router base for my Dremel, made a jig to support the router attachment, and used a Dremel CBN (cubic boron nitride) metal-cutting rotary tool cut-off wheel to trim the top off of the sear block.  The CBN tool cut through the hardened sttel in well under 5 minutes each.

It worked perfectly.  I am very happy with the results.

Before:

After:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have also polished a lot of Glock and Advantage Arms feed ramps.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I just remembered that I have.

Drilled a lanyard hole in my XD45. Turned out okay.

Attachment Attached File

That’s about as far as I’m willing to go.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Lots of times...

Cut the underlug of a Colt Officer's Model slide to accept a reverse guide rod plug.  Easy stuff.  Recently cut the factory front sight out of my XD slide but left a small smiley that is now covered by the new sight. Took sharp edges off of many blued and stainless guns.  Cut off bayonet lug on my SKS .
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I know I'll get shit..

My SBR front BUIS

You take this...

And make this...

It looks great after the hand guard is on. I have another hand guard, I need to redo the flat for when the BUIS is folded. And after thousands of rounds, no melting.

Also for the charging handle spacer for my bumpsaw.
Finding a aluminum spacer to fit that spot was a PITA. Bit of dremel work and now the lightweight carrier works great. (the lightening cut on the carrier needed a longer CH to clear the upper. So bigger screw and spacer)
In all fairness, it IS a TAPCO lower. So, you know

And then there is the pistol grip mod I am still tinkering with
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Use it on a trigger job on my AR's. Polish. Made the stock stuff way better than it was.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep, trimmed the ears on a G rail to fit my billet receiver. Came out horrible but its not visible so I don't really care.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Polished feed ramps, other 1911 stuff
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I own a foredom, does that count? Used it many of times on guns.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#37]
LOL.....Too many times to count.

Just yesterday I used it to shape a Magpul grip to a LR-308. There was a 1/16th "ledge" where it met the trigger guard that needed to be contoured. A couple passes with a sanding drum and a file for final fitting and it's GTG.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I cut the muzzle device off an AK so I could put a proper brake on it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought a blem Beretta 92FS slide for my 92S. I had to disable the firing pin block by reshaping it with a Dremel.

Although I disabled a safety mechanism, it's no less safe than a stock 92S, which has no firing pin block provisions.

This isn't something I would have intentionally planned from the start. It was a special case of finding a firearm that was compatible with my big stash of PT-92 magazines (which have the heel-release cut), then wishing it had better sights, then finding a blem slide on Beretta USA's store. Buying a used 92F or 92FS is definitely better financial choice, but I have a heel-release quasi-92FS that uses magazines I already have.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Undercut TG and remove finger grooves on a gen3 19
Cut off FSB on a 6920
Cut off FSB & GB on a romy 74
Polishing the grooves on take down pins
De milling many AK parts kits
polishing P80rails
probably a ton more I cant remember
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Just removing bumps on a G19 grip
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#42]
A pencil grinder is the same concept but much easier to control than a Dremel. I used a pencil grinder to debur parts in a machine shop and they are surgical.

Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I pretty obviously used a Dremel to build this one:

Sharpie works well on bare aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Used a dremel to build my Thompson SBR
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortlyndon/22LrUpperInstalled.JPG

View Quote
What the...?
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What the...?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortlyndon/22LrUpperInstalled.JPG

What the...?
http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortlyndon/effortLyndon.html
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#47]
I have used one many times...buffer bit with some compound to polish parts. Have made feed ramps look like mirrors, trigger disconnectors nice and smooth for an effortless release that you dont feel coming, removing light rust, etc.

Have never used one to remove metal, wood, or plastic from a gun.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Used one to cut off the bayonet lug on a 605ish build.  top rifle in pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Glocks get the polishing wheel in all the right places. If you understand how the parts work together

ARs will hit trigger parts with polishing wheel. Also polish the BCG since all mine are nickel boron and yes it makes cleaning much easier

1911 trigger bar gets the wheel and feed ramp gets the cloth bullet
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes. My 1911 had extended  ambit safety on both sides. It kept getting caught on stuff and flipped to fire.  Took dremel and cut extension off right side, no more problems.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top