Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forethought & disciple are great traits to have. I'm trying to instill that in my son - hand me down furniture, 1997 Toyota Corolla with a stick shift and all but his friends at the University of California all came from Berkeley parents from law firms or doctors and they live a very different lifestyle
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn you are so full of shit.

Beater paid for vehicle, 12% home loan with 1/3rd down, hand-me-down furniture. Home-owner at barely 22.

Yeah, good times.

It's all good now though because I took the hits when young.
Forethought & disciple are great traits to have. I'm trying to instill that in my son - hand me down furniture, 1997 Toyota Corolla with a stick shift and all but his friends at the University of California all came from Berkeley parents from law firms or doctors and they live a very different lifestyle
That's not something you can fix though, there has been and will always be different economic classes. Such is life.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nobody wants to buy a first home they can afford now days. They want the home they think they deserve and are somehow entitled to.

And if you spent more than $10 to be a social worker, you spent too much.
View Quote
Me and my wife lived in a 1100 sqft home for our first 7-8 years, most young people today would refuse such a dwelling.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Young people should not rush out and buy homes. Homes reduce economic freedom. I know millennials who moved for much better jobs who took neatly a year to sell their home. Apartment living make sense.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
ZFG. College isn’t a right either. Maybe she should have joined the Navy and done the GI bill.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.mymoneyblog.com/images/1007/tuition.gif

Perfect example of a bubble caused by .gov.

Convince everyone that everyone HAS to go to college --> .gov gets into student loan biz --> universities seize on buckets o'cash --> tuition increases exponentially  --> student used as conduit to fund university largess whilst receiving worthless education --> students massively in debt
View Quote
Don't forget all the leftist packed bullshit they have to take as general electives...

Want to laugh?
Go to a college sometime. Look at what is parked in reserved for [school admins name]
Big money euro or Japanese luxury brand.

When I see a Benz. A range rover. A jaguar. A BMW. An Audi. A Lexus. Etc.
I know where tuition money is going.

Then browse the student body. Take note of the dyed hair, faces full of metal, tattoos all over, obese and that funky aroma of disappointment and bad decisions that can best be described as smelling like syphilis feels...

Ahh I don't miss my college days... I kinda do. Mostly don't.

I don't miss being removed by campus cops from lecture halls, for mocking a liberal boomer possible hippy that spit on Vietnam vets when they were my age at the time.
Before "trolling" was a thing, it was called, Antagonizing.
I antagonized many a dyke hair cut boomer woman and fat bald or skinny cardigan/turtle necked sweater wearing 4 eyed point dexter boomer professor.

Fucked up part... those courses were required

If you ever wondered where Robin Hood economists came from. Go right to your highschool and colleges. If you ever wondered where the degeneracy spawned from? Hippy boomers.
Those that can, do. Those that cant, teach.

Alot of the fights began with saying to them
Your emotions are irrelevant. Tell me what you think not what you feel. And then things got sporty.

The best was being called a racist for objecting ACA when that cat herding cunt was all ecstatic over Obama announcing the ACA. that one got me pulled by 2 campus cops. Ahh good times shitting on liberals.

They're all about that free speech and protesting until it counters their narrative.
Then they become rage filled shrieking screaming toddlers in adult bodies who have been reduced to making fools of themselves while they scream you're some type of phobosisticismist.

At least unlike highschool, you can tell those fucks you write their checks and get your schedule/class changed.

As for buying houses...
Easy solution there...

Should have learned trades and how to apply basic highschool geometry with some power tools and buy a fixer upper like I did...
Rather than supporting boomers and their asking of 200k for a house that's realistically worth 85-125k but command 200k because the state says that's what it's worth to justify higher property taxes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ZFG. College isn't a right either. Maybe she should have joined the Navy and done the GI bill.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sorry man, I'm missing your point.

What does the relative returns of prepaid college vs direct market investment have to do with whether any particular employer should require a degree?

Most of my experience is with STEM types where it's a pretty big advantage over somebody walking in off the street.
View Quote
I'm responding to this.
College costs have outpaced the market during my period of interest so much like the old adage on seemingly"logical" short plays, the costs of college can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And 10 minutes on Google was to hard to see which majors are useful and which colleges are cheap. Also, maybe to even see if college was the right choice for you?
One thing similar to your post as I see in these news stories in the lack of mentioning "me" when it comes to the blame.
View Quote
Cheap colleges = cheap results unless you’re an Army Officer. If you have a CS degree from MIT or Stanford or from one of the affordable school https://www.bestvalueschools.com/most-affordable-universities-america/who do you think is likely to get hired in Obama's 2009 - 2016 economy? Besides the H-1B techies from India. An option is to go affordable school then eat shit and do an MBA or post grad at Stanford if you can manage it. My Dad dropped out of the University of Texas at Austin after my Mom divorces him and moved to Hollywood and he worked full time while attending George Mason University full time then got a job as an accountant then worked on a MBA while he worked full time eventually becoming VP of the company. I explained the various options to my son last year but his girlfriend picked Berkeley and he wanted to chase her despite my ‘chase $ never chase women’ speech and his Mom is a UC Berkeley alumni, so he had that working for him even though I recommended California Tech or leave the state. His girlfriend dumped him in January He’s a smart kid but only academically. When it comes to life he has a long way to go
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There are a lot of dumb people out there, college does not change this.
View Quote
It tends to proliferate and reinforce the dumb though. orange man bad.
My sister was finishing up her degree to become a nurse practitioner.
Her professor emailed her and all the other students that she would postpone an exam because the traumatic results of the election and to give everyone time to recuperate over the beginning of the end of democracy.

My sister responded. We are a Constitutional Republic and I wish to take my test as scheduled. I paid to learn and to perform. Not for your political opinions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cheap colleges = cheap results unless you're an Army Officer. If you have a CS degree from MIT or Stanford or from one of the affordable school https://www.bestvalueschools.com/most-affordable-universities-america/who do you think is likely to get hired in Obama's 2009 - 2016 economy? Besides the H-1B techies from India. An option is to go affordable school then eat shit and do an MBA or post grad at Stanford if you can manage it. My Dad dropped out of the University of Texas at Austin after my Mom divorces him and moved to Hollywood and he worked full time while attending George Mason University full time then got a job as an accountant then worked on a MBA while he worked full time eventually becoming VP of the company. I explained the various options to my son last year but his girlfriend picked Berkeley and he wanted to chase her despite my 'chase $ never chase women' speech and his Mom is a UC Berkeley alumni, so he had that working for him even though I recommended California Tech or leave the state. His girlfriend dumped him in January He's a smart kid but only academically. When it comes to life he has a long way to go
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And 10 minutes on Google was to hard to see which majors are useful and which colleges are cheap. Also, maybe to even see if college was the right choice for you?
One thing similar to your post as I see in these news stories in the lack of mentioning "me" when it comes to the blame.
Cheap colleges = cheap results unless you're an Army Officer. If you have a CS degree from MIT or Stanford or from one of the affordable school https://www.bestvalueschools.com/most-affordable-universities-america/who do you think is likely to get hired in Obama's 2009 - 2016 economy? Besides the H-1B techies from India. An option is to go affordable school then eat shit and do an MBA or post grad at Stanford if you can manage it. My Dad dropped out of the University of Texas at Austin after my Mom divorces him and moved to Hollywood and he worked full time while attending George Mason University full time then got a job as an accountant then worked on a MBA while he worked full time eventually becoming VP of the company. I explained the various options to my son last year but his girlfriend picked Berkeley and he wanted to chase her despite my 'chase $ never chase women' speech and his Mom is a UC Berkeley alumni, so he had that working for him even though I recommended California Tech or leave the state. His girlfriend dumped him in January He's a smart kid but only academically. When it comes to life he has a long way to go
Well you can't fix stupid choices just like it's not my problem these adults are going thousands in debt for junk. You are kind of proving my point here
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Her professor emailed her and all the other students that she would postpone an exam because the traumatic results of the election and to give everyone time to recuperate over the beginning of the end of democracy.

My sister responded. We are a Constitutional Republic and I wish to take my test as scheduled. I paid to learn and to perform. Not for your political opinions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did she pass
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The people I see screaming the loudest about this in these articles are the ones that get a degree cost to career salary ratio that is way out of proportion. HAY GUYS I GOT A PHD PSYCHOLOGY FROM VANDERBILT AND NOW I'M WORKING AS A COUNTY SOCIAL WORKER IN THE RURAL SOUTH MAKING $24,000 A YEAR! THE WORLD IS UNFAIR!

I very rarely hear people with STEM degrees that are in this boat. Then again if you can get a STEM degree you can probably propel the logic train in your head far enough down the tracks to figure out how much degree you need to get into the workforce and then try to get your employer to help with some/all the rest of the way if you need/want advanced degrees.

Then again its not 100% the kids fault all the time. Our education system, since at least the 1990's, has been geared toward making people think they need college degrees while shunning technical trades that can provide people for more than adequate career fields that could also be springboards to better degrees.
View Quote
I practically begged my son to go STEM. Took him to NASA, introduced him to engineers I knew in Petaluma. His Mom has Borderline Personality disorder so to my chagrin he picked psychology
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meh.

I got student loans.

I didn't finish college.

I was a water ski instructor at a summer camp, when they wanted to start getting their money.    That wasn't happening.  I complained about the "crushing debt" of mine too.... because I was lazy, and wanted to be a bum and just do what I wanted to do.

Then I started to grow up, got a job, and paid mine off when I was making $40k a year or less (often much less).  I just decided I needed to sacrifice, and get it done.

Now I realize, even $100k in school loan debt aint a big deal.  You don't even need huge income to knock that out in less than 10 years.  You just need to make it happen.... and not work in underwater basket weaving.  The problem is people won't sacrifice.  They still finance nice vehicles, live in nicer apartments, take vacations, eat out.... because the world justifies their actions as "everyone else is doing that"... and that is "normal".  I know someone doing this now.... over 40 and still paying off student loans from almost 20 years ago, simple because the minimum payment is how she did her budget all these years.

In my field, I see signing bonuses for $120k all the time for kids right out of school.  If you are good at software development, you can be pulling home $200k-$350k a year in short order.  If you want to be a social worker, plan accordingly.
View Quote
Traveling is one thing millennials do enjoy https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Travel-Agent-Issues/Millennials-traveling-and-spending-more-this-summer
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I practically begged my son to go STEM. Took him to NASA, introduced him to engineers I knew in Petaluma. His Mom has Borderline Personality disorder so to my chagrin he picked psychology
View Quote
This may not be a total loss...
If CA gets their mental health background checks... hook a father up.
Shit he could take a $100 bill and rubber stamp APPROVED freedom acquisition papers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you also blame fast food for obesity?
View Quote
That's another can of worms. I partially do blame them. Sugar is basically an addictive drug. The food companies know this and use it to their advantage on the unknowing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sweet another “GD hates on education” thread
View Quote
I definitely hate on commie professors & just about anything that isn’t STEM or an MBA but I think the thread is more targeted at “millennials who make bad choices” Generation Z has a totally different approach to college, work and saving
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Guess she should have signed on the dotted line, did her time, and used the GI Bill instead.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's another can of worms. I partially do blame them. Sugar is basically an addictive drug. The food companies know this and use it to their advantage on the unknowing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you also blame fast food for obesity?
OMG
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some numbers: there is $1.5 trillion in student debt. 44 million people owe that debt. To greatly simplify,13% of America owes $34,000 each. Yes,there are those who owe $100,000 for a degree in  intersectional feminist studies and some doctors with steep tabs but most do not owe anything nearly that much and are making their payments. Those who scream the most about this are those with buyer's remorse who didn't think adulting would be,like,so totally hard but that does not make them typical.
View Quote
The Girls I’ve met with degrees in French literature are good in bed so there’s that https://french.columbia.edu/content/undergraduate-studies-french-language-and-literature
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I definitely hate on commie professors & just about anything that isn't STEM or an MBA but I think the thread is more targeted at "millennials who make bad choices" Generation Z has a totally different approach to college, work and saving
View Quote
As someone that has both STEM and non STEM degrees and also instructs at a CC on the side I can honestly say lots of instructors/professors are not commie. Now those in commie locations such as CA is a different story. Commie locations have a lot of commies, who would have "thunk" it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#22]
So they eat rice and beans, get a second job and focus on the debt.  It's not that hard.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#23]
One of my millennial coworkers took on 60K of debt and never graduated so he feels he shouldn’t have to pay back the loans, as if a degree was guaranteed and the school was at fault.

He’s content living at home and being a scumbag.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here is just a quick one I found at the moment. The US population with student loans is 44 million which means that the US population with no student loans would be 281 million. Around 13% of the population with and around 87% without. 87% in true arf fashion

The one I have saved shows only 12% and I will try to find it.

So just under half of verage-student-loan-debt
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I lived in a fire station, ran 40hrs a week with EMS, and signed my life away to Uncle Sam to afford college. You do what you have to. Getting loans and hoping you can pay it off later is what the idiots did. And they’re the ones you read about in these stories.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#26]
most people seeking STEM majors these days are from India, Korea, China, Japan....  i've noticed a lack of american's willing to put in the hard work at college that STEM requires
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yet people still attend
View Quote
Less and less especially with Generation Z attitude towards college https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/15/hbs-professor-half-of-us-colleges-will-be-bankrupt-in-10-to-15-years.html Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm too scared to see how much debt she took on to become a social worker.
View Quote
Nearly $200k.

Oh, and she is a lesbian, NPR had to work in how this has affected her AND her girlfriend.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This, also most people could save a ton by going to CC.
View Quote
Agree
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
most people seeking STEM majors these days are from India, Korea, China, Japan....  i've noticed a lack of american's willing to put in the hard work at college that STEM requires
View Quote
No one got time for that, those kegs and parties take priority.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I still believe everyone should go get a real degree. Being educated is never a bad thing.
View Quote
True.

But baked into your statement is a HUGE assumption that the only way to get educated is to pay for a college degree to be educated by other people.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Possibly true. I met a woman from Stanford University who was dumb as rocks and I’m being generous. I think a bowl of yougurt could outwit her
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Which is exactly what needs to happen.

A young person could do Udemy type classes cheap by paying the annual based subsription for a couple years and be a rock star in some STEM fields. I'm also glad sites like Edx starting to take off which lets folks earn certs and even degrees through prestigious institutions for cheap.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Did I make it before a bunch of people that graduated 20+ years ago that weren't pressured from the bottom with illegal scab labor and pressured at the top competing with the upper .0001 percent from South asian by way of H1Bs. Telling the young to pull themselves up by their bootstraps?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Some instructors make six digit salaries to teach less than 10% of time and devote the rest to private research.
View Quote
One of them from Stanford University is banging my ex wife
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is why employers shouldn't necessarily rely on a college degree...

Amazing how way back when, you could walk in, get a job, apply yourself, climb the ladder and retire in that company... with little to no emphasis on degrees...

If we keep it up... janitors will be called sanitation technicians and an associates will be required to scrub floors and shitters...
Providing that function isn't automated within the next oh... 10-20 years...
View Quote
Well the Army seems to be dropping a requirement for an undergraduate degree from Sergeant Majors
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Who doesn’t want a History degree from Vanderbilt, Stanford or Harvard?
View Quote
Take some time and read the degrees earned by Admirals & Generals sometime. It’s almost as amusing as reading craigslist casual sex ads used to be
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How did she pass
View Quote
She got to take her test the day it was scheduled Originally before the election results, but with 2 proctors in a locked room. To ensure no "cheating"
She drove all the way to MA and was not going to stay any longer than necessary. Supposedly, the test was postponed for a week... classes either cancelled or became boohoo sessions after attendance was taken...
Because of her and 2 other students were from out of state, they had to take practical/hands on exams as originally scheduled, there was no weaseling their way out of the hands on test. I guess orange man bad caused many to flunk...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Should have gone to trade school.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So they eat rice and beans, get a second job and focus on the debt.  It's not that hard.
View Quote
That's just plain logic and common sense.

Common sense only applies to "gun violence" and other buzzwords and phrases.
Emotions. They operate off the feelz. Feelz > thinking.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Their loans, their problem. It just drives me nuts that people in the media, that went to college and damn well know better, report on this issue in a way that suggests that there are no alternatives. Military, scholarships, part time jobs, working in the summer, for profit online universities, tuition reimbursement from an employer, or just plain less expensive schools. But nooooo, these poor people had NO choice but to spend $200,000 on college and now the rest of us HAVE to "do something". It's bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have 4 degrees, work 60+ hours a week and make under 70k with bonuses each year. Do yourself a favor and learn a trade. Fuck college.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The liberal indoctrination of our youth is not cheap.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I know a guy that purchased a motorcycle with student loans and another member here once posted he or someone he knew purchased a boat with student loans. Lots of designer clothes and Starbucks coffees are paid for by student loans also.

Most of these "kids" are living the lifestyle with these loans on top of getting useless pieces of paper.
View Quote
I have seen that. Also seen Taiwanese and Chinese friends who duped their parents into thinking they needed 3 college degrees because the economy was bad. Their parents pad for three undergraduate degrees and now these guys want to get a postgrad
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Likely over 6 figures, the ones crying the loudest are the ones that went stupid with loans. I recently read only 12% of the population has student loans and the average is under 40K, this means there are some outliers that took out stupid amounts that are skewing the charts that these snowflakes and new sources are feeding off from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm too scared to see how much debt she took on to become a social worker.
Likely over 6 figures, the ones crying the loudest are the ones that went stupid with loans. I recently read only 12% of the population has student loans and the average is under 40K, this means there are some outliers that took out stupid amounts that are skewing the charts that these snowflakes and new sources are feeding off from.
If the average is $40K then about 1/2 of the loans are larger than $40K.  I've got a buddy with low six figures in student loans, all from state schools with in-state tuition.  He got an undergraduate degree in criminal justice to work as a parole officer then got a masters degree in education to be a teacher.  He has worked his way into an assistant principle position but six figure loans for assistant principle pay is insane to me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I know the guy who is considered the architect of the student loan industry.  He is a workaholic.  He also seems to be an honest man.  He is quite wealthy.  He has no conspicuous displays of wealth.  He has a nice ranch which is out in the boonies.  He has no hired hands for the most part.

The impression I get from him is that he didn't design the system for people to make poor choices.  But if someone went into serious debt for a worthless degree, it was on them and not the system.

No one is owed a degree in four or five years.  No one has to live in essentially luxury apartments.  No one has to go out at night.

If you can't afford to pay for your education but you are living large, then you deserve to be in a mess.  No one stands in the way of "stupid" in this country.
View Quote
4 or 5 years?
University of California schools have a  7 year average graduation rate https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/ug-outcomes
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Whenever I hear complaints a out student loans, I always wonder how much of it was for school, and how much was vacations, fancy toys, eating out all the time, etc.
View Quote
I'd guess for those with student loan debt over $100k, who aren't an attorney or MD, the bulk of their debt load was housing expenses.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's not something you can fix though, there has been and will always be different economic classes. Such is life.
View Quote
Yeah, don’t care about their wealth but his friends opinions seem to carry as much weight as my advice so that’s annoying
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#50]
At my employer, if you are an engineer or scientist, you only need to send an email to HR with a copy of your student loan balance every year and a signed tenure agreement promising to stay three years from that date, for them to pay off $10k of your loan. I've only known one engineer who was denied, and that guy was over 60 with $100k in loans unrelated to engineering so not like he was going anywhere.

If you're not a STEM employee, you have to show a written job offer for more money than you currently make, a statement about the degree being related to your duties, and the copy of your loan balance, then they harshly down-select who gets any money. So barely anyone gets paid out.

Kharn
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top