Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same thing a few years ago. Please above all things remember this. POOP AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE. Get off the pain meds as soon as you’re not hurting. If you get stopped up you’ll be in trouble.

ETA: if you lift something or try really hard to poop don’t hold your breath. Be thoughtful of breathing. It makes a difference.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
@sarge901...   Wow!  I would almost think that what happened to you would be physically impossible.  But it obviously happened.

I wonder if they cut something in there that held your intestines in place - a tendon or something?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Umbilical hernia repair about 10 years ago. In at 7am, home by 1pm. Rest of the day was no big deal, likely because of the residual drugs still in my system. Had Hydrocodone scrip. Took one next morning, one more 6-8 hours later, and one more the next morning. MADE ME FEEL LIKE SSHHIITT. Nausea, dizziness, and other crap. Quit taking them and went with Advil. Was very painful, but not as bad as my first bout of Gout. No way to sit, recline, sleep comfortably for about 6-7 days. Got better and within 2 weeks was back to about 95%. Took it easy for 3 months and was back to 100%.

Just never have been able to take hardcore pain meds. Cure worse than the ill in my case. Just had to tough it out. Fortunately I have a pretty high level of pain tolerance.

Never had the constipation problem, likely due to not taking the pain meds.

OP, stay as active as the pain permits without pushing the limits. I'll be wishing you luck and a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Had my left side done 2 years ago, and getting the right done in Jan.

It hurts for quite a while. Six months I was still in a decent amount of pain occasionally. Even now, I sometimes get a slight pain from time to time.

You might want to read about laproscopic. I've heard that it sometimes fails and needs repair. Happened to my buddy... Second time he had conventional surgery and the mesh and his held up to fine after that.

Expect to be down for 2 or 3 weeks and pain for a few months after that.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
-HORRIFIC STORY-
View Quote
I am hoping that will not be the case since its small and they are doing lap.

My optimism is soaring though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Try not to cough.... or laugh. And keep a pillow with you at all times.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#8]
One last thing OP.  For the first week or so when you have to take a piss, let it be gravity fed.  Don't push, you will regret that as well.

And if you have a dog do not let it greet you or jump on you for at least 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wife had double umbilical hernia surgery 6 weeks ago.

Not too bad, can't lift anything for a while, abdominal pain.

The worst if the fuvking druggies have made docs real shy about pain killers so they'll send you home under prepared to deal with the pain.
View Quote
Ahreed. Complete shoulder replacement and sent home with 4 days of oxy. Pain and withdrawals where a bitch
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Having hernia surgery in a few days.

Double inguinal, but both are small.

Will be done laparoscopic.

How bad is it?  What am I in for?
View Quote
Had mine done this past October,right side inguinal small hernia done robotically.

The first few days my abdomen was sore but didn’t need anything stronger than aspirin.
Myt throat was sore due to the breathing tube being removed.

After the first week soreness is all but gone.
This is when you have to remember  the Dr’s instructions about lifting things and over doing it because you feel fine. Take it easy.

His advice to me for the first 6 weeks after surgery was this....
Don’t do anything you wouldn’t do in a coat and tie.

It honestly helped me remember when I was feeling fine not to lift that 30lb item when I wasn’t cleared to lift past 10.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I remember the doc telling me that my garbage could turn black and blue but I didn’t have any of that. I was never told that there was a chance that lose function of my dong. I had some lingering pain behind everything. The doctor said that it was from the tacks that they use to attach the mesh to your pelvis. I can’t remember how long that soreness lasted but it wasn’t bad.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:57:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure what happened, the doc was awfully concerned- probably due to considering a lawsuit. The other drs who first saw the damage said that it was something that they'd never encountered. I did tell them that if the pix showed up on the web- I'd be hunting them. This was the most painful thing that I've ever experienced. I had over a dozen ambulance-chasers to visit me, along with a few insurance types. The follow-up visits to the dr's office were tense but I'm over it now- thank the Lord! I have a sign directly in my line-of-sight in my bathroom that tells me to take it easy. I just could not consider wearing a bag for the rest of my days and that would have ended my career.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:58:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Hit it with a hammer. That seems to fix everything.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I just had this done on 19 November. All good advice. I wish I would have had some of it. I cannot stress enough the importance of supportive underwear. Gravity is not kind...
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Once again, GD is amazing, and has armed me with plenty of info and advice.  Thank you all.

I will add whitey tighties to my ammo fort, stock up on stool softener, imitation crab meat and orange powerade.

Now I will have to select some movies.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:51:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Had two repaired about eight years ago. I had previously had them repaired when I was three years old but the techniques at that time weren’t very good and they failed later on. I put off the surgery and just put up with it for several years.

My repair was done with mesh through two tiny incisions. I honestly had no pain afterwards during recovery. They pumped me full of fentanyl after the surgery that morning and released me just after lunch the same day where I went home and promptly took a 15 hour nap. They prescribed opioids for pain management but I honestly didn’t need them and never got the prescription filled. It was a month before I could go back to work. Today I feel 100%.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your nutsack will collect extra fluid.  Mine swelled up to the size of a grapefruit.  Lie flat and prop your nuts up.  Tylenol, Percocet, then Tylenol.  The Tylenol works best for me, but the Percocet is just better at night.  You may end up with hematomas, not really a big deal... But when the swelling goes down, the hematomas may make it look like you have four nuts...
View Quote
I did have an extra nut for a while.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shit hurts yo. Take it easy.

Take stuff to make you poop.
View Quote
I never had this problem. I think that’s more from the opioid pain meds than the procedure. Pissing was weird for a few days though. I’d feel like I had to pee but when I got to the bowl I’d end up standing there long enough my legs would go numb and only manage to dribble a little.

It was annoying.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:46:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Had one repaired when I was in HS.

Only advice is don't do anything that will strain the abdomen.

Eat a lot of roughage and fruit for super smooth voids.

Take something for allergies the first few days after if you are the allergy type. A sneeze will drop you to your knees.

Avoid humor at all costs. My brother came to check on me and hang. Brought  a new National Lampoon magazine to read. Thumbed through it after he left. A pic in there damn near busted the doctor's repair.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Well everybody is different and every surgery is different. Some people play "tough guy" and some really have little pain and soreness.
I've had three inguinal on my left side and need another. Mesh surgery laparo. all three times.
First one not too bad, pain and soreness a few days. Off meds in 4-5 days.
Second surgery was much worse. Had some nerve damage somehow. It was like a knife stabbing if I bent or twisted a certain way. Now I have a tingly, numb area that feels weird. On meds much longer for that one.
Third surgery was similar to first.

Doc said problem was most likely too much lifting too quickly and I agree. Third surgery I followed instructions but never healed back like it should. Probably back to 80%. Then, after a few months started getting worse.
I've been putting off surgery #4 for 3+ years because Doc said most likely would have to do conventional surgery to undo first three and start over. In my case right now, the scar tissue at the edge of the mesh is bothering me more than the actual hernia spot.
I hate to go through that again. I may have my knee done first.

IMO, I would follow the lifting instructions no matter how good I felt after a week or two, and avoid ANYTHING  that may increase chance of harming recovery. I would also start taking stool softener a couple days before surgery and keep taking for a week after.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Gotta get a pretty big umbilical hernia fixed first part of the new year. Already been advised that it’s gonna SUCK. Now after reading some of these stories..think I wanna throw up!
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Be patient. I had two, it took a long time to heal and get back to where I was.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well everybody is different and every surgery is different. Some people play "tough guy" and some really have little pain and soreness.
I've had three inguinal on my left side and need another. Mesh surgery laparo. all three times.
First one not too bad, pain and soreness a few days. Off meds in 4-5 days.
Second surgery was much worse. Had some nerve damage somehow. It was like a knife stabbing if I bent or twisted a certain way. Now I have a tingly, numb area that feels weird. On meds much longer for that one.
Third surgery was similar to first.

Doc said problem was most likely too much lifting too quickly and I agree. Third surgery I followed instructions but never healed back like it should. Probably back to 80%. Then, after a few months started getting worse.
I've been putting off surgery #4 for 3+ years because Doc said most likely would have to do conventional surgery to undo first three and start over. In my case right now, the scar tissue at the edge of the mesh is bothering me more than the actual hernia spot.
I hate to go through that again. I may have my knee done first.

IMO, I would follow the lifting instructions no matter how good I felt after a week or two, and avoid ANYTHING  that may increase chance of harming recovery. I would also start taking stool softener a couple days before surgery and keep taking for a week after.
View Quote
@russtang

Do you feel like the lapro wasnt a good method and conventional would have taken care of it first try?

Wishing I would have started this thread weeks ago.  I am just not a big thread starting guy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, I had a vasectomy done at the same time as the hernia so my balls were swollen regardless.
View Quote
Had a fishing trip planned with two friends. One had a vasectomy that morning and insisted on going we tried talking him out of it but he was determined to go. We didn't get a quarter mile from shore than he was on the bottom of the boat groaning every time we hit the bottom of 2 foot swells The other friend and I were laughing our heads off with each groan. We kept asking him if he wanted to go back but he insisted on fishing. Three hours later he was all but screaming and we had his crotch packed in ice. He still insisted on fishing but the two of us decided he'd had enough for the day and packed it all in. We got him home and he could barely walk with the other two of us helping him. His wife took him dragging and screaming back to the doctor. The doctor chewed him out royal and sent him home with orders to keep his crotch on ice until the swelling went down. He ended up missing a week of work and waddled like a duck for another week. Lesson learned, do exactly what the doctor tells you to do and the whole world won't laugh at you when you start talking about going fishing again. His wife finally made him sell the boat.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#25]
One month ago had umbilical, laparoscopic with mesh. Three days painful, anther five or six tinder, back to normal.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#26]
My oldest had this surgery a few years ago. Surgery was outpatient. Pain was more then expected. If you sleep upstairs now, set something up downstairs for the first few days. You'll be fine. :)
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just remember- you asked......
Had an umbilical hernia two years ago. Surgery went well and they sent me home with a bottle of miralax which I took as directed. After three days- no poop but I sloshed when I moved. About 2200 hrs- I felt as if I was going to burst. Sat on the throne for about an hour. Suddenly- the dam broke and I expelled about a gallon of gray colored fecal matter and blood, along with over six inches of my colon. Couldn't get comfortable in any position- wife called an ambulance and they transported me on my face to the E.R. They'd never dealt with this condition. Put me in a room that had a standup shower- every few minutes, I'd bleed and expell more fecal matter. Doc kept telling me that I'd have to have surgery and probably wear a colostomy bag for the rest of my life. I asked him to prescribe the most powerful pain killer that I could stand. He did. I'd call for meds- had two I.V. bags running- get into the shower and start putting my parts back inside. It took me three days to get to the point where I didn't bleed every time that I passed either urine or feces. The doc took photos every day and brought other doctors to observe. I've been wounded twice in combat but this hurt worse. When they finally discharged me- I'd sit in a bathtub and use dissolved Epsom salts and a battery-powered paint mixer to agitate the solution. The end diagnosis was that they'd somehow gotten a kink in my colon. I'm still gun-shy when it comes to pooping- no pushing at all. Hasn't bothered me in over a year.
View Quote
Wow. If you're going to do something do it right. No halfway for you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Try not to cough.... or laugh. And keep a pillow with you at all times.
View Quote
So we should sent the OP the Three Stooges DVD set?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#29]
This, and miralax with a little prune juice at 2-3 days is your best friend.

Had an inguial and umbilical done 3 weeks ago. Feeling back to normal but not picking up anything over about 25 lbs yet.

Quoted:
Had the same thing done 3 years ago

First 2 days is painful to sit down,walk,lie down,bend over.

Eat liquid foods cause your not gonna shit for several days and you want it to come out very easy.5 days for me to poop

Walk around several times an hour,its better for the healing than sitting around

Keep surgery area clean and apply new bandages after shower.

A month later i was picking up 80-90lb items like before the injury.Take it slow each person recovers differently
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Easy peasy, I had the same thing done in July.  Was back working in two days light duty.  About two weeks later it was like nothing happened.  Edit, after reading about pooping problems I experienced none of them.  Maybe I got lucky but it was a very easy surgery.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Doc told me recovery was nothing - he had one and played golf on the second day.

I must be a wimp because I wasn't moving for a couple days The worst part was puking - I felt like my guts were coming out. Apparently my body didnt like the pain meds they gave me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Very easy surgery,Had the conventional not laparoscopic as hernia was too large,Mesh was installed.

Walked 2 miles the next AM (slowly) no pain meds except a couple of Ibuprofen 600.One each night x 2 nights.

Within 2 wks very little to no pain at all,Started Turkey hunting @ 3wks post op still walking  a little slowly but ATV bumps were painful.

I was careful about 6-8mos lifting over 40lbs,doc said nothing over 75lbs for 1yr

It will be 3 yrs in February and if I lift 100Lbs plus I can feel it but otherwise OK.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Prepare yourself for massive bruising in the genital nut sack area. You will not be able to shit correctly for 3 to 5 days due to the massive pain. I strongly recommend that you speak with your surgeon for them to prescribe Tylenol 3.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#34]
The only thing in my mind was that I was not going to be wearing a bag permanently. It may have been risky on my part but I did what I thought I had to do.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dear god.

Do they go away?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your nutsack will collect extra fluid.  Mine swelled up to the size of a grapefruit.  Lie flat and prop your nuts up.  Tylenol, Percocet, then Tylenol.  The Tylenol works best for me, but the Percocet is just better at night.  You may end up with hematomas, not really a big deal... But when the swelling goes down, the hematomas may make it look like you have four nuts...
Dear god.

Do they go away?
Nope, you'll forever be known as "Quad"
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:23:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@russtang

Do you feel like the lapro wasnt a good method and conventional would have taken care of it first try?

Wishing I would have started this thread weeks ago.  I am just not a big thread starting guy.
View Quote
I had a conversation with my surgeon about this. He said that the risk of infection and other complications is greater. Also the recovery time is way longer. He said the risk out weighs any benefits.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:35:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
pics?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:22:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had a conversation with my surgeon about this. He said that the risk of infection and other complications is greater. Also the recovery time is way longer. He said the risk out weighs any benefits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@russtang

Pretty much this. I think laparo. is the first choice for any surgery if it can be done that way.  In my case , 3 previous surgeries is the issue that may make it necessary for conventional surgery.

The size of hernia would play a part also I'm sure.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have had both sides done about 4 years apart. Incisions on both. Both were moderate to large. First was stay 2 days in the hospital because insurance would allow it. Second was out patient. In at 7:00 out by noon.

Some funny shit here but you scare the hell out of the guy. I'm sure surgeons are different as well as outcomes. My surgeon was a retired Army surgeon. Blunt as hell, didn't have a problem cussing out anyone including hospital admins if he felt like it. Around 6'4" and old school. In all ---- probably the best surgeon to have as he was a Vietnam Vet and had probably saved lives in situations others hadn't. Once told me he wasn't a heart surgeon but he had done as much heart work as any around in the military, in the field, by necessity.

Anyway. No pain from either. Just about the same pain as an ankle sprain. Never took a Tylenol for either. First time he came in after my first surgery and chewed my ass for refusing a pain shot. Told me it was through the IV not the ass. Told him I didn't need it. Not being a tough guy. Just wasn't any pain to speak of.

Balls didn't swell. Dick didn't fall off. (Although I did tell him both times not to be bullshitting around and let the knife slip as I needed every inch I had)

OP. Don't stress this. I know it's easy to say as I had never been in the hospital, much less had surgery with the first one, but with a good Doc this is a pretty simple procedure. They will send you home with stool softener and pain meds. Do what you need to do with those. I just ate a couple prunes a day for about 3 days till I had a bm. Get up and walk/hobble every hour or so during the day. That keeps muscle spasms from occurring. And if they do they are bad. So move, don't just lay around or set too long. Don't lift anything more than your dinner plate for a couple weeks. Dr. will give you instructions. Mine were no more than 50lbs. after 2 months. At 4 months I could do as I felt.

For those with umbilical hernias. Had that last year. 47 stitches on the inside. 4 on the outside. No more pain than the others. More like an ankle sprain type pain. About the same weight lifting limits.

In the future, don't carry turbo 400s and sbc engine blocks by yourself cause it's cool. That was where my trouble started.

OP, best of luck. IM if you have any questions. Guarantee you will feel better when you are in your room and it's done. Just need to take it easy the first few days.??
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#40]
“In the future, don't carry turbo 400s and sbc engine blocks by yourself cause it's cool. That was where my trouble started. “

110% TRUTH!! I used to think it was cool to be able to set big block chevy blocks and FE Ford blocks out of a spray wash cabinet. Guy that I worked for at the time chewed my ass for that stupid crap, too. And now I know why..
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Having hernia surgery in a few days.

Double inguinal, but both are small.

Will be done laparoscopic.

View Quote
I had this last Friday (pair of small inguinal, done laparoscopic).

Saturday hurt a bit, and I used some of the hydrocodone.  
Sunday didn't require pain meds.

First part of the week felt a bit uncomfortable, but nothing particularly painful.

My instructions were to walk as much as possible, don't do any heavy lifting for 2 weeks.

I'm glad I didn't read this thread before my surgery.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
My swelling didn't go down on the side that had the repair.  It sucked, but I did have 3 chicks sonogram my balls.   So I had to have a hydrocele repair months later.......and even that swelled more than normal ( blacked out from blood loss) and I was immobile for 1.5 months.  My advice.  DON'T MOVE after surgery AT ALL and don't do anything that thins the blood like Ibuprofen.....no matter how fine you might feel post surgery.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Avoid having a hernia mesh put in !!! My cousin was in emergency surgery for over 14 hours because the mesh became entangled, growing into her intestines !!!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pretty much this. I think laparo. is the first choice for any surgery if it can be done that way.  In my case , 3 previous surgeries is the issue that may make it necessary for conventional surgery.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@russtang

If I would have had a single, he would do conventional.  But since I have one on each side, and they are small, he wants to do laparo.

Guess I will have to trust in his judgement.  Surgery at 1100 tomorrow.

Edit: guess its at 0930 now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, there aren't gonna be any surprises. An inguinal hernia is one of the most common types of hernia. It is estimated that almost 70% of all hernias are inguinal hernias. With advancements in modern medicine, it is safe to say that hernia surgeries are the simplest and safest surgeries present. laparoscopic surgeries are quite simple. Painkillers will be provided after the surgery and you will most probably be asked to resume your routine work after 3days of rest. Kindly follow your surgeon's advice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#46]
How are you feeling?
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#47]
@MT_Mauser

Link Posted: 1/5/2019 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Welcome to the club OP!
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@MT_Mauser

View Quote
Actually, not too shabby.

The first few days sucked beyond belief, but I was off the painkillers in 2 days.

My balls did not major swell up, but my left side still hurts/has an odd feeling vs the right.

Hope that doesnt mean it was unsuccessful.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The first few days sucked beyond belief, but I was off the painkillers in 2 days.

My balls did not major swell up, but my left side still hurts/has an odd feeling vs the right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@MT_Mauser

Mine was the same.

The repaired side will feel tight and sore for some time.Mine still gets sore 3 years later sometimes depending how i crouch,twist,etc
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top