BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, it's usually more than 10. I just did a job today with 190 points related to the fire pump and what's tied to it and they are still adding stuff to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many points are you monitoring on that skid? Looks like a single module in view on the back wall...

If that is a module it could be just for fire pump running and power failure. But for the pump itself there's probably 8 or more points we're monitoring that report directly to the fire panel most of them are control valves. 2 bypass valves, pump suction, pump discharge, jockey pump suction and discharge valves, test header valve. But that's not counting anything else on it. Water flow switches, pressure switches, low air switches then whatever systems/sectionals they have downstream of that pump. Plus all the equipment they mightnhave before the pump.
Then there's all the mechanical things we have to look at, casing relief valves, packings,  oil pressure, oil level, fuel level, coolant levels, batteries.

Sounds like more than (10) points...

...whenever I run across a fire pump, I assume (10) monitor points and throw materials to cover that. Gets me close

Yes, it's usually more than 10. I just did a job today with 190 points related to the fire pump and what's tied to it and they are still adding stuff to it.

Damn ...
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Diesel as Primary with dual Electrics as backup....
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Usually the diesel is the backup. It’s expensive to run.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No, we're actually 102. Which makes no sense. Our fitters are 696. I'm on the inspection side.
View Quote

Just was dealing with our alarm guy and i was trying to drop hints to see if he was an arfcomer lmao
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#5]
We have a gas powered one that got repurposed to runs irrigation. Try eBay/Amazon.

It's got nothing on that monster pentair but it will push 60 psi through a couple hundred feet of hose at a reasonable gpm. Honda knock off, 2nd pull every time.

For bonfire I use the atv tanks like you use for fence line weed spraying for knocking down little smolders
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just was dealing with our alarm guy and i was trying to drop hints to see if he was an arfcomer lmao
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, we're actually 102. Which makes no sense. Our fitters are 696. I'm on the inspection side.

I take it he was looking at you with two heads?

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Please, in the name of all things holy, buy one of these and run around with it.  Video it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27564/4B594410-44E3-44C0-9041-2E627E26A57B_jpe-2434654.JPG
View Quote

The ones we had on the FD were metal.  We always stuck the new people with them.  I hated being the guy carrying that shit
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
OP should check out some wildland fires in his spare time.  I suggest on a really windy day,,LOL
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If that is a module it could be just for fire pump running and power failure. But for the pump itself there's probably 8 or more points we're monitoring that report directly to the fire panel most of them are control valves. 2 bypass valves, pump suction, pump discharge, jockey pump suction and discharge valves, test header valve. But that's not counting anything else on it. Water flow switches, pressure switches, low air switches then whatever systems/sectionals they have downstream of that pump. Plus all the equipment they mightnhave before the pump.
Then there's all the mechanical things we have to look at, casing relief valves, packings,  oil pressure, oil level, fuel level, coolant levels, batteries.
View Quote

Ahhh, I remember weekly pump churns...
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#10]

My first thought also.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Commonly known as Indian pumps.
View Quote

Commonly known as piss pumps.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weekly for diesels and monthly for electrics.

Just ran 9 pumps this morning. Now I’m flushing hydrants.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Big questions.

Water source?

Fixed pump location or mobile?

Fixed drawing water from a pond, pool, river, etc. Northern tool has trash and fire pumps you can look at to get ideas.  Most trash pumps are low pressure but a 50 psi 3/4" or 1" hose can pur out a bunch of water.

You can set up a few sprinklers on the roof and the surrounding area and leave if you have a good water source.

If mobile, on foot, ATV, pick up etc, many options.

Also do you know What the fuck you are doing or will you get killed?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Skid units

If you have a pool / pond close Here
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
OP:

Drip torch, fire rake/hoe, shovel, and a backpack blower. Learn how to back burn in front of the fire

It works 50% of the time, every time.  Be in shape in case you have to run.  Always have an escape route.  The water you bring is to keep you hydrated.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#16]

We called those "piss packs" when I was doing wildland. Cause, well, you might as well be pissing on the fire.

Those are really only good if you have to hike in to any area to mop up and even then you need to use hand tools to do the job properly.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does a 100' hose connected to the outlet side of my pool pump with 20,000 gallons of in-ground pool water count?  
View Quote
@RCK1999

Thats what I am planning on doing here soon. Can you share and pics of your setup? Any advice?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@RCK1999

Thats what I am planning on doing here soon. Can you share and pics of your setup? Any advice?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does a 100' hose connected to the outlet side of my pool pump with 20,000 gallons of in-ground pool water count?  
@RCK1999

That kind of depends. What do the GPM and PSI numbers of a pool pump look like? I honestly don't know.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a big spot sprayer strapped to my ATV for this purpose. Decent pressure, and it was cheap. I think I bought it at northern tool. Great for a grass fire.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Came here expecting fire pumps like some other guys.

Sounds like OP wants a water buffalo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Diesel or electric?...
View Quote

Nut coal...

Duh
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I R a sprinkler man!
May have a vertical 500 gpm 480 volt that need a rebuid
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That kind of depends. What do the GPM and PSI numbers of a pool pump look like? I honestly don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@RCK1999

I don’t own the house any more, so no pictures. It’s a 2 hp 230v pump with about 150 gpm and a 50 psi max. I made a 2” pipe fitting that screwed into the discharge outlet on top of the pump. So I could remove the pipe that went from pump into the filter and replace it with my hose fitting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Knew a welder here in Texas who had his welder on a trailer with a large 109 or 200 gallon water tank to put out fires if he started one doing a pipe fence.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#25]
We have a Kubota 6? Horse power water pump / trash pump set up with a fire hose line for the dry hydrant on our lake.

It will easily shoot 100ft. And I think it does 300gpm. Maybe more.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#26]
timely thread, just spent three days cutting cedar and tall grass back around my sister's place.

The neighbors have had three spontaneous grass fires in the past couple weeks.

She has one of those rain catchment systems with a 500 gallon tank. I'm just going to fill it off the house faucet and find a pump big enough to push a 100 feet of garden  hose. Plan is to stick a couple of sprinklers on the roof for any embers that get past the firebreak.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I have found the Indian backpack pumps very useful.  

I've used them many  times to put out wheat stubble fires started by hot bearings, exhaust, etc. during wheat harvest. Once the fire starts moving... it's another animal and your piss pump isn't going to do the job.

I also have one I keep ready on the service truck when I'm welding-cutting etc. In the field.

My wife uses one to water plants where the garden hose won't reach, and the kids use it for water fights.

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I own a fire pump to utilize pool water.  I roll it out when a brush fire is near.

[youtube]shorts/FvwPLTSBbso?feature=share[/youtube]

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top