BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know a manager over at Carrs/Safeway that says similar things happen there. People go in and walk out a shopping cart full of products with no resistance because the store tells them not to do anything.

It feels like Anchorage is on the tipping point of anarchy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to get your friend to reach out to the local media about him being fired for doing the right thing. Then you need to drop a line to someone like Glenn Beck, and see if he'll pick up the story.  

It worked for this Lowe's employee:

Lowe's reinstates employee fired for combating shoplifters
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Worked at a Sport's Authority (remember those?) back in late 90s that was a large anchor to a gigantic mall outside of Chicago.

The store was massive and we had LP people walking around almost all of the time. Everyone also knew how easy it was to steal shit in general and we all knew it was happening all of the time. Hell, we'd see people doing it and unless a LP guy saw it, you were told to do nothing.

We had this crazy fucking Puerto Rican LP guy that had been there for a while. Sounds a lot like the guy from OP's story where he was shorter, but built and just fucking nuts when you got him going. He had a few run ins with people who tried to fight him when they 'secured' them at the entrance with stolen stuff already.

One of these times was a group of black girls. They had basically stuffed every bag and jacket with stuff. He and another guy had been watching and following them for over an hour. They catch them at the entrance, as is company policy, and they go straight to screaming, throwing things and fighting. Other LP guy retreats right away. PR kid just fucking fights every one of them plus the 2-3 guys they had with them. Knocks 1 of the girls out, breaks one of the guys' jaw, another one leaves blood from a broken nose fucking EVERYWHERE. It looked like a murder scene with blood all over the tile, smeared around, shoe footprints in it, streaks, etc all in front of a crowd of shoppers. It was glorious. It was WorldStar before WorldStar. He fucked them up and it was legendary.

He was fired.

Want to know what else happened?

The loss reports showed that theft in that store had dropped to next to fucking nothing the next time they ran the inventory numbers. I had heard about that ass beating from multiple people, multiple times. People at parties or at school would bring it up (and the story always grew or changed) and it was basically a known thing that if you steal from that store, they will fuck you up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He was fired.

Want to know what else happened?

The loss reports showed that theft in that store had dropped to next to fucking nothing the next time they ran the inventory numbers. I had heard about that ass beating from multiple people, multiple times. People at parties or at school would bring it up (and the story always grew or changed) and it was basically a known thing that if you steal from that store, they will fuck you up.
View Quote

But by the time everybody "knew" that, it was no longer true.
If he could prove he acted in self defense when attacked by a mob, it sounds like a nice wrongful termination suit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It has been HD's policy to let thieves walk, for several years. Trying to stop thieves is an immediate fireable offense.  Their insurance covers the losses. The insurance is far cheaper than a wrongfully death suit and far far cheaper than the bad publicity of body slashing a protected person
View Quote

Massive Lawsuits, and the employee can/will be charged with assault and Unlawful imprisonment  in many jurisdictions while the shoplifting charges are dropped on the suspect.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds about right. Lowes and Home Depot won't bother to call law enforcement. They refer it to their internal loss prevention instead.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Home Depot doesn't care... all they do is just jack up our prices.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What needs to happen is the shareholders need to sue HD ownership and Management for failing Fiduciary Responsibility.  Their policies of allowing theft is hurting their investment and causing the company to lose money and the stock price to decline because of it.
View Quote

They just raise prices on honest customers and maintain income
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965.

We started importing Diversity by the literal boat load. Traitors.
View Quote

It’s almost like Kenedy’s assassination opened the floodgates for the policies that started the destruction of the country.

It’s almost like a stolen Presidential election allowed for the job to be completed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep. I saw a thief push a packed cart past checkout through the door at the Home Depot on Tudor a few years ago. It’s an accepted practice. Anchorage is a shit show.  Haven’t seen that in southern Utah yet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper still to enforce laws against theft and shoplifting and prevent the losses in the first place?
View Quote

HD senior management is afraid of the blowback from certain groups when the criminals are arrested and prosecuted.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Home Depot doesn't care if they sell their items to customers who pay, or to the insurance company...either way they will get paid.  The bean counters have probably figured out that making theft claims to the insurance company is cheaper than paying out lawsuits they would loose to the thieves, store employees, the family members of thieves or store employees or any attorneys.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went to a flea market for the first time in years. There were more than a few vendors with tables full of brand new Milwaukee, Dewalt and Ryobi cordless tools. I would imagine that's exactly how they got them. The prices were about the same as buying them from Home Depot as well.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure they were from our jobsite LOL.

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Vlad Tepes had the right idea about the homeless.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't worry they will continue to raise prices. Those who actually put for stuff cover the losses.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I remember back in the 90's thieves would get their asses beat in the parking lot by employees. Man, stuff was cheaper back then...
View Quote

My buddy who was a defensive end had some good stories about working loss prevention.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys pay for stuff from home depot? it's been 100% off for years, but they don't offer it for online orders or curbside pickup yet, so you have to risk Covid and actually go get the stuff.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#18]
If the store management says they don't care and don't want employees to stop thieves, then you are a fool if you risk your safety or your job trying to stop thieves.
Now if the thieves are threatening you in any way, you would also be foolish not defending yourself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Out of control crime is how the government will promote the social credit system and a lot of people will welcome it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate thieves but I’d give this guy a pass if he went in there, filled up a cart with power tools and gangsta walked out while looking the manager in the eyes.

”Now you’re the bitch.”

Call it a severance package.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Was he though?  If a thief gets hurt when being detained and then sues the company for way more than the price of whatever was being stolen, the odds are pretty good that he'd win.  It's enough to where the company doesn't want to risk the likely possibility of a much larger loss (damages + lawyer fees) than the much smaller loss of a stolen powertool or something.

The solution is to reform the law and limit or eliminate what damages can be awarded to someone who's injured while committing a crime.  Then once the odds are on the company's side, they'll either start detaining thieves or go out of business because their competitors will.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This guy was acting in the best interest of the company

Was he though?  If a thief gets hurt when being detained and then sues the company for way more than the price of whatever was being stolen, the odds are pretty good that he'd win.  It's enough to where the company doesn't want to risk the likely possibility of a much larger loss (damages + lawyer fees) than the much smaller loss of a stolen powertool or something.

The solution is to reform the law and limit or eliminate what damages can be awarded to someone who's injured while committing a crime.  Then once the odds are on the company's side, they'll either start detaining thieves or go out of business because their competitors will.

It's not like I disagree. I like how someone else put it: Companies complain about shoplifting all the time, but when one of their employees steps up and does the right thing, they fire him.

Punishing good deeds only aids bad actors. They know they can do it with low- to no interference and it's high time that ended.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#22]
My AO must be an outlier. They make tons of arrests at the HD near my office. I had a client that was chased down by LP and then the PD over a box of nails. And charged.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#23]
The homeless in Anchorage have absolutely destroyed the city.  They can do whatever they want and there are plenty of liberals who aid them.  They do drugs, steal, rape and many other heinous crimes with almost impunity.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#24]
All I learned from this is that if you work for Home Depot and are going to violate the shoplifter policy and get fired, you should make it worthwhile and do more than just call the shoplifter names.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mexican cartels have a whole division dedicated to ripping off American stores...and a giant sales network to resell stolen goods...like a corporation built for servicing retail theft...

Imagine tying victims hands behind their backs so they and their kids can be robbed,raped,murdered and if they fight back arrested...as official policy...

One evil system
View Quote

Blowback ,   it needs to happen but I don't see it happening .   Participants will be the criminals .
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#26]
After the first policy violation, the rest are free. Might as well beat the homeless turd with a shovel if you’re going to get fired just for calling him a name.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Happening in the valley also.

Big difference from when I worked at Home Depot back in the '80's.

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#28]
These directives allowing thievery are coming from somewhere (Soros and ilk, anyone?).  All art of the plan to dismantle the American way of life.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Why not HD employees get their family to shop like these folks.   Then you could file a discrimination lawsuit if treated differently.  If successful just bring the stuff back for restocking.  Employees love restocking abandoned carts
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I hate to say it, and I absolutely know this goes against most (hopefully all) of our values, but what’s honestly stopping the average American citizen to say “Fuck It” and go “shopping” at Home Depot in a similar manner?

Seriously, maybe that’s what it will take to wake up some people.
View Quote

There’s still a large portion of American society that recognizes and abides by the Ten Commandments given to us by our Almighty.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#31]
A complete list of companies with this policy, and locations… is all we need.

Purely for informational purposes
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#32]
If you train employees to not give a fuck about getting ripped off, why would they give a fuck about anything?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Smells like a lawsuit.
View Quote

What lawsuit? His mommy told him don't cus toward people.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A friend of mine worked at Home Depot. He’s in his late 40’s 5’5” 160 lbs but ripped and with attitude.

As he was walking back into the store a thief was pushing a cart of maybe $1100 dollars worth of tools past the checkout stand.

My friend steps in front of him and asks “Are you going to pay for that”?

Thief says “nope”.

My friend says “you’re a Bitch” to the thief. The thief throws a tantrum and all the employees stand around doing nothing because they are ordered to do nothing.

What does Home Depot do? They fired my friend for calling a thief a bitch.

This happened weeks ago but what I just learned is they had shed/car port tents erected out front of the store.

The homeless camp across the street came and stole two of them prepping for the winter snow.

Fuck thieves. But also fuck stupid store policy. My friend told me after being fired the store policy is no confrontation whatsoever. Meaning they can’t say anything verbally, they cannot stop them, they cannot leave the store after them into the parking lot.

Basically by store rules you can walk into Home Depot fill up a shopping cart and just roll it out without paying for anything. And you will have no resistance.

This is all true, I have seen it in action, I have talked about with people here.

When people learn this is an option and they do it, and the store puts in policy that makes profits decline the store goes away and the community suffers.

In a proper society Home Depot would at least here in Anchorage would let employees carry and insure them. It would seem a much cheaper approach than the theft.
View Quote

So your friend is in his 40s and is working an entry-level job?

Sounds like they did him a favor.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Massive Lawsuits, and the employee can/will be charged with assault and Unlawful imprisonment  in many jurisdictions while the shoplifting charges are dropped on the suspect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has been HD's policy to let thieves walk, for several years. Trying to stop thieves is an immediate fireable offense.  Their insurance covers the losses. The insurance is far cheaper than a wrongfully death suit and far far cheaper than the bad publicity of body slashing a protected person

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#36]
As a civilian, I'd fuck with the thieves all day long.  I'd even offer to call the cops so they can report me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top