User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not both?

My battleplan is to charge out the bedroom with my 300blk AR pistol, light on but at the low ready so as I close distance with the enemy he can see me, butt naked, uplit in all my glory, with my tiny little ding dong flopping around like a baby carrot hanging from a string.

Distract, close distance, engage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Choice: badass SBR with light, body armor, full kit.

-Vs-

Reality:

Me.
Underwear (maybe)
Drunk.
Socks??
Why not both?

My battleplan is to charge out the bedroom with my 300blk AR pistol, light on but at the low ready so as I close distance with the enemy he can see me, butt naked, uplit in all my glory, with my tiny little ding dong flopping around like a baby carrot hanging from a string.

same plan here, sleep in the nude, confront the attacker/invader in the nude, get a couple good shots off while they're rolling on the floor laughing their ass off.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
That's my point.
Most people don't train.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Choice: full auto suppressed MP5K.
Reality: AR10 w/25rd mag.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a jury is your primary concern for a HD gun, you should be looking at pump shotguns.
Until you shoot them in the head, and blow their face off. Jury in a civil trial sees pics, you are screwed.
It's actually a good argument against using bird shot for HD (as if there weren't many).

A guy with no face or eyes would probably get a lot of sympathy on the witness stand.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This ignores the reality of CQB regarding weapons retention and the disorientation which occurs from discharging an AR in a small space w/o hearing protection.  You aren't in AFG clearing houses, you're getting out of bed, wiping your eyes and trying to sort shit out from a dead sleep. Full size, hicap pistol with a light every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm over penetrates vs 223, is less effective and pistols are harder to hit with vs rifles.
This ignores the reality of CQB regarding weapons retention and the disorientation which occurs from discharging an AR in a small space w/o hearing protection.  You aren't in AFG clearing houses, you're getting out of bed, wiping your eyes and trying to sort shit out from a dead sleep. Full size, hicap pistol with a light every time.
I agree to an extent, but most people are completely awful at shooting pistols.  You aren't hearing shit after the first round out of a pistol in a normal sized house either IME.  Weapons retention would also be much better with a slung carbine.  The only professionals who I have read about choosing a pistol over an SBR are veteran SOF guys, and in very limited circumstances.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you guys talking about pistol grip as in shockwave shotgun with no brace, or ar15 with both a pistol grip and a stock?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my experience as an amateur and working with other amateurs. Conventional stock was easier to support gun one-handed and retain if grabbed.
What did this "experience" consist of?
Sounds like some recreational jerking and tugging on "guns" with his friends.
Correct!
We figured out that most casual shooters did better with conventional stocks vs pistol grips.
People who are dedicated to the craft are a different story.
Are you guys talking about pistol grip as in shockwave shotgun with no brace, or ar15 with both a pistol grip and a stock?
He is talking about trolling.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I agree to an extent, but most people are completely awful at shooting pistols.  You aren't hearing shit after the first round out of a pistol in a normal sized house either IME.  Weapons retention would also be much better with a slung carbine.  The only professionals who I have read about choosing a pistol over an SBR are veteran SOF guys, and in very limited circumstances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm over penetrates vs 223, is less effective and pistols are harder to hit with vs rifles.
So someone who can't operate a pistol effectively would be able to run a slung carbine better? Uh...no.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Traditional stocks are better for CQB vs pistol grips.
Fudd rifles are better in front of a jury.
View Quote
If I was on that jury, I would vote to hang your ass for picking a mini-14, and I generally like Rugers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So someone who can't operate a pistol effectively would be able to run a slung carbine better? Uh...no.
View Quote
For sure. It is much easier to get good placed hits with a long gun, regardless of distance to target.

I use a 12” AR pistol, myself, and would love to get a mini can to take the edge off.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Best case- SBR in 5.56, with a can, light, and optic. I don't have one of those, so-

870, cruiser-ready, with five Federal LEO #1 buckshot shells in the magazine and six more on an Esstac card. The proximity of my neighbors contra-indicates rifle fire.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why not both?

View Quote
@Towely

This is too big to make a sigline dammit, I just tried.

Bravo sir!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#14]
For indoors
Choice. MP5SD
Reality.  Suppressed Zenith Z5
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you not entertained?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I enjoy the extra effect the maker went to sleeve the gear to the shaft.
Very nice
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#17]
My choice is my reality!

I choose to keep my Glock 17 as my primary home defense gun because:

* it's easy to secure and quick to retrieve in my handgun safe mounted to my bed frame.

* Holds plenty of rounds and I grab the spare mag stored there when getting the gun.

* Leave one hand free if needed (maybe you got kids to round up).

* Proven reliable with many rounds through it.

* I shoot it well.

ps - I do have a loaded rifle and 12GA in the big safe if I need to retreat.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top