Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/3/2023 1:58:07 PM EDT
We have a homeless problem in the ally behind my house

The problem I'm dealing with pretaining to them is one of these guys is leaning against my gate and defecating in front of it,so when I open the gate there's a large pipe of scat for me to clean up...sometimes I have to clean it off my gate also.
I'm long for ideas on how to keep them out of the alcove where my dumpster and gate are
This is usually a two to three times a week thing lately

The gate I have is a metal frame with wood slats between metal rails .

I've read that booby traps are illegal,would hooking electric wires to my gate be considered a booby trap?

Or do you think if I put long screws through the wood every few inches ?

Calling police would be a waste of time because I'm sure the cops aren't going to stake out the alley looking for a phantom shitter .

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd take that shit, douse it in gas, light it and throw it in his box/ tent.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd take that shit, douse it in gas, light it and throw it in his box/ tent.
View Quote

He,/her isn't living in the alley .
You can hear people at night walking through sometimes if you're outside
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you live in a big metro area with a homeless population? Could it possibly be an angry neighbor? And have you thought about putting up security cameras to see if you can catch the perpetrator? That might get the attention of the police if you can establish a pattern so they know when to stake out your home to watch for the criminal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man.

You go toe to toe with homeless people, you better enjoy your shit siege.

You need to low key convince them to move on elsewhere.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you live in a big metro area with a homeless population? Could it possibly be an angry neighbor? And have you thought about putting up security cameras to see if you can catch the perpetrator? That might get the attention of the police if you can establish a pattern so they know when to stake out your home to watch for the criminal.
View Quote

No.

Sometimes I guess they care a little because they put a box down and use that
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man.

You go toe to toe with homeless people, you better enjoy your shit siege.

You need to low key convince them to move on elsewhere.

View Quote

I'm all ears if you have a suggestion
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Anti seize on the lower part of the gate.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't you accidentally use screws that were half an inch too long when assembling that fence and gate? Measurement mistakes happen.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]
They aren't illegal. You just cant design them to maim or kill. Bit difference.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Let some fire ants and harvester ants set up colonies there.

They're easier to get rid once they've gotten rid of the homeless.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Didn't you accidentally use screws that were half an inch too long when assembling that fence and gate? Measurement mistakes happen.
View Quote

Have bolts .no screws in the gate
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Get one of those motion detecting sprinklers.
I saw a video where people kept pissing on the backdoor of a guys business. It was in an alley. He plumbed a pipe that was pointing down in the area that was used for pissing. He also put a hidden camera so he could monitor. There are several videos of guys coming up to pee and get blasted with water. I think he even had a sign that said there is a drain that could activate at anytime so stay clear.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Movement controlled audio speaker that plays some annoying song when he is nearby
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Put a light out there and get the neighbors to call in an indecent on the fool.

Like vampires the freaks that come out at night fear the light.

Motion sensor and camera for extra credit. You'll want the thing +12' if possible - think pissed off drunk with a baseball ball.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Electric fence charger: Electric fence 6" outside of your fence, and 6" apart to keep problem racoons out. Get the weed burner fence charger.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Floodlight with a motion detector.

For extra points, put a recorded message like "You are illegally exposing yourself. This recording will be shown to the police. You will be arrested for illegal exposure and prosecuted for sex crimes." Make it real loud so the neighbors can hear.

Or put a driveway alarm in place, so you don't wake the neighbors if, say, a dog walks by; you can then choose to trigger the light and recording.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe get a guard dog to alert you to their presence. Not any kind of attack dog because that might cause you problems, just one that will bark a lot so you know when they are out there. Maybe a barking dog would even be enough to keep them away.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#18]
For the record Texas law on devices. I dunno why this pasted backwards.

Sec. 9.44.  USE OF DEVICE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.  The justification afforded by Sections 9.41 and 9.43 applies to the use of a device to protect land or tangible, movable property if:

(1) the device is not designed to cause, or known by the actor to create a substantial risk of causing, death or serious bodily injury; and

(2)  use of the device is reasonable under all the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be when he installs the device.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Save your money on fortifications and as mentioned above simply make that alley an undesirable place to be for the perps.  That's the most specific advice you're going to get on a public forum.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe get a guard dog to alert you to their presence. Not any kind of attack dog because that might cause you problems, just one that will bark a lot so you know when they are out there. Maybe a barking dog would even be enough to keep them away.
View Quote

I have a small dog .
This is happening late at night when I sleep
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I saw a video where people kept pissing on the backdoor of a guys business. It was in an alley. He plumbed a pipe that was pointing down in the area that was used for pissing. He also put a hidden camera so he could monitor. There are several videos of guys coming up to pee and get blasted with water. I think he even had a sign that said there is a drain that could activate at anytime so stay clear.
View Quote

Came here to say this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
You have an "I live in a shit hole" problem, not a homeless problem.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#23]
You live in Texas.

Leave something of value, yet easily moveable, just inside your gate.

Leave the gate open.

Sit over bait after dark.

Use the laws your great state has given you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Electric fence charger: Electric fence 6" outside of your fence, and 6" apart to keep problem racoons out. Get the weed burner fence charger.
View Quote

Mine and my neighbors gates are in an alcove with a dumpster and cable box in it .the people that live nextdoor are really old .I don't want to do anything that may harm them .I just want whoever is doing to to stop shitting in front of my gate
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe it's bears, try bear spray.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You have an "I live in a shit hole" problem, not a homeless problem.  

View Quote

My neighborhood is nice .

About a half mile away a outpatient drug rehab opened last year and the problems started
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You live in Texas.

Leave the gate open.

View Quote

I don't want to kill anyone
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Rig some outdoor speakers where the locals can't reach them and feed them some grand opera. They will likely find someplace less cultured to shit. Respighi worked pretty well for a friend of mine with a similar problem.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Floodlight with a motion detector.

For extra points, put a recorded message like "You are illegally exposing yourself. This recording will be shown to the police. You will be arrested for illegal exposure and prosecuted for sex crimes." Make it real loud so the neighbors can hear.

Or put a driveway alarm in place, so you don't wake the neighbors if, say, a dog walks by; you can then choose to trigger the light and recording.
View Quote

This.

As bright as you can get. Something with a camera and audio.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Electrify the gate with a large sign on the top which spells out the gate is electrified.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I ran into similar (dog shitting) when I lived in the city.  If you do the sprinkler thing, that invites further shenanigans.   We opted for directed ultra sonic dog deterrents.   Worked pretty well.  It'd have to be a different frequency for people,  but should work fine.  Or just go the classical music route
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Barb or razor wire affixed to the outside of the gate?  Even chicken wire or hardware cloth might be rough enough to prevent someone from leaning delicate skin surfaces against it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#33]
If you electrocute someone you're going to jail
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Electrify the gate with a large sign on the top which spells out the gate is electrified.
View Quote

Thought about that .
Could the electricity start a fire on the wood slats between the metal bars
Even if it won't still worries me that the guy might have a condition that kills him if he was shocked somehow.
I'm steering away from that idea
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Came here to say this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to say this.

That's three of us.

If you can add a container of some smelly fertilizer inline with it to fertilize the grass they are destroying, it might add to the effect.

Also - Please add trailcams and post the vidya here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You live in Texas.

Leave the gate open.

View Quote
We can be friends
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#37]
need moar pics and/or MS paint to assess the situation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Motion sensor hooked up to a yard sprinkler. Works wonders.

Put up a sign that says automated watering to help control dust in the air.

Looks like I was beat by 20 minutes.

Seriously it works well. Don’t get an agressive sprinkler. One of the ones like this is great.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Time to move.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I ran into similar (dog shitting) when I lived in the city.  If you do the sprinkler thing, that invites further shenanigans.   We opted for directed ultra sonic dog deterrents.   Worked pretty well.  It'd have to be a different frequency for people,  but should work fine.  Or just go the classical music route
View Quote

Something like this https://www.movingsoundtech.com/
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My neighborhood is nice .

About a half mile away a outpatient drug rehab opened last year and the problems started
View Quote

You have someone shitting by your gate.  

Repeatedly.

Your neighborhood isn't "nice"
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You have someone shitting by your gate.  

Repeatedly.

Your neighborhood isn't "nice"
View Quote

This is true, id just go before your new neighborhood status is reflected in property values
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Automated sprinklers on a motion sensor.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Skunk scent around your gate.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Skunk scent around your gate.
View Quote

Yea smell is another good one that doesn't invite a retaliatory response.   Or collect some roadkill and throw it in a container
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Setup a motion activated sprinkler.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I would landscape utilizing irritating and thorny shrubbery and take them out Holy Grail Style.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would landscape utilizing irritating and thorny shrubbery and take them out Holy Grail Style.
View Quote

He leans against my gate or at least looks like that
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm looking for a less retaliatory method .

I think I'll try the skunk smell .
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Trebuchet + porta-potty = problem solved

Editing to say, you don't even have to attach the porta-potty to the trebuchet.  First see if the apartment or treatment center will place the porta-potty somewhere nearby but away from your gate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top