User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is nothing different in a mil-issued upper versus the uppers that are on the market for the last 20 years. If it's an actual mil upper it's going to be 14.5 so would be pistol or NFA territory on barrel length. If it's 16 its just a random AR15 upper.

At one time Colt made some uppers and bolt carriers that would not work on an FA lower, but it doesn't really mean anything, there is nothing an upper can do to make something be FA.
View Quote

The upper for an M16 has a relief cut for the sear to clear
Attachment Attached File

This changes nothing functional or legal wise on the upper on a semi lower

Colt made LOWERS and bolt carriers that would not work with full auto parts. The lowers had a sear block that wouldn’t allow for sear placement, drop in auto sears or lightning links. It was a chunk of metal in the lower
Attachment Attached File

The bolts were “half moon” ones to clear the sear block and prevent the use with any full auto parts. They also had unshrouded firing pins
Attachment Attached File

And OP is talking M16 spec which would be a 20” pencil profile barrel
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Yes, you should...10+ years ago.

OP, as has already been said, guns shows, Gunbroker and the Equipment Exchange here on this site are probably your best bet for finding an original USGI upper. Search for terms such as M16, XM16E1, M16A1, 603, and 604 (these last two are Colt model numbers that are known & used by retro enthusiasts).

More good info here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR-15-M-16-Retro-Forum/123/

http://pullig.dyndns.org/retroblackrifle/

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That’s an interesting gun.

No fence lower and early 604 upper where the machining profile just below the port door matches the profile of the lower. That’s a desirable upper and whats the story on the lower? It’s large pin so is it an SP1 lower I assume?
View Quote

I know nothing about this gun other than it was presumably manufactured sometimes in the 70's. I bought it from a young guy that wanted to go all tactical and sold this to me instead of modifying it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Those SP1 kits going around 15 years ago were the best way...
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There is nothing different in a mil-issued upper versus the uppers that are on the market for the last 20 years. If it's an actual mil upper it's going to be 14.5 so would be pistol or NFA territory on barrel length. If it's 16 its just a random AR15 upper.

At one time Colt made some uppers and bolt carriers that would not work on an FA lower, but it doesn't really mean anything, there is nothing an upper can do to make something be FA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ran a thread on this Colt a while back.  Is there any difference in the upper from a M-16?
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/q94/junker46/IMG_20221029_123407.jpg

I know someone that has a 16" upper given to him from some 'special forces' friend. He is super paranoid about using it because he thinks it's a machine gun part.  It looks like a regular carbine upper to me.  Would there be anything different about a mil-issued upper?

The uppers work on a full-auto lower, if you remove the auto-sear.  They skipped a shallow relief for it.

The bolt carriers, likewise, work fine with a full-auto lower but don't have a rear face to trip the auto-sear.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top