BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally discovered a mountain one time.  Never been driven over before.
View Quote

Like a comet, did you get to name it?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I personally discovered a mountain one time.  Never been driven over before.
View Quote

Better than discovering them this way, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I could tell you. But then I'd have to kill you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm a Hamateur. You're not broadcasting a signal from an aircraft that's reaching a sub 200' feet down. It's a totally tubular not-happener.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It just so happens that they have these things called spools.

I'm a Hamateur. You're not broadcasting a signal from an aircraft that's reaching a sub 200' feet down. It's a totally tubular not-happener.

Wanna bet? Just because the sub is at 200' doesn't mean the antenna is.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We used to get 10 forms to give to family with 50 blank spaces on them for family grams (name and rank got subtracted out of the 50).  The opposite crew screened and uploaded them, and the XO (and/or COB) on the ship screened them before you got it in hand.  You were doing well to get 6 or 7 in a 10 week patrol.

I got pulled aside one day and asked "who is Missy?" by the XO.  Missy was my parent's lab.  The message in question included "Missy disappeared 5 days.  Came home stinking of diesel and whiskey."  She'd fallen into an oil drain pit in someone's barn.  Anything sexy would get the name redacted and posted outside crews mess.  I remember someone's wife sent something about missing Monday Night Football that was amazingly phrased and got the whole crew worked up. She was a gifted poet.

And like I said, we had orders to cover scheduled HF voice transmissions from time to time as part of routine business.  When the def-con ratcheted up, those bands would go in availability.  "alfa velvita knuckle underwear sphincter spider mucous ringworm.  I repeat alfa velvita...." with a paper shredder running in the background, and the signal fading in and out.  Picture DX from turbo prop.
View Quote

Typed a few of those in my day. And made some phone calls about them too. One lady had a cat named Snatch.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Depth charges. Use them alone or in series as Morse code.

Boom!

BoomBoomBoom!

Boom!                  Boom!                 Boom!                  Boom!

Boom!

Boom!        BoomBoomBoom!           Boom!

Boom!

It can be a little rough on the crew
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#8]
They use Dolphins that speak Latin.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
VLF.

There are Naval Radio Stations, like Jim Creek in Western Washington that transmit globally through the Earth's crust.
That message says send up your buoy.
The buoy gets a satellite burst transmission, or burst transmission from the E-6 TACAMO aircraft and it's on!
View Quote

Stay in your lane flyboy!
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
What did all those radio towers they used to have in Maryland, right across from the Naval Academy do?

Local lore was that they had something to do with submarine communications.

They took them down several years ago, I guess, but they  always make a good landmark when sailing in the Chesapeake back in the 90's.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Denzel:  "chief of the watch, float the bouy"

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think our VLF sites are effective enough to eliminate the ELF ones.
View Quote

They serve(d) different purposes. One could not do the job of the other.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What did all those radio towers they used to have in Maryland, right across from the Naval Academy do?

Local lore was that they had something to do with submarine communications.

They took them down several years ago, I guess, but they  always make a good landmark when sailing in the Chesapeake back in the 90's.
View Quote

NRTF Annapolis did transmit a submarine VLF broadcast.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Probably not, I don't need to know any classified shit specifically. Do we have one, though, of some sort?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you will get current information on this subject even from SMEs

Probably not, I don't need to know any classified shit specifically. Do we have one, though, of some sort?

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#15]
This is a time when you wish you had 100 attack boats in trail and we still had subroc available.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought this thread was going to be about something else. along the lines of EvilAngel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#17]
When it’s time, they will know......
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#18]
There’s a radio tower in the Rockies that is continually transmitting on a low frequency, 2.0189 khz.

If it ever goes silent for more than 24 hours, subs open the safe and break out OPLAN 1818-2, launch everything except one missile on Russia, save one for China, Iran, DPRK or Pakistan depending on what’s in the envelope, then head for New Zealand.

The annex to the plan provides for heading to Norway in 3 years to find surviving women. We cannot allow there to be a mine shaft gap!

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You don't have a need to know.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Dolphins of the SW American Desert provide the best security...

They speak Navajo!
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#21]
What do Great Britain or France do?  Countries with boomers and no E3B.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What do Great Britain or France do?  Countries with boomers and no E3B.
View Quote

The Brits have a letter from the Prime Minister in the safe (seriously) with instructions if they cannot raise London via wireless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36824917/trident-what-are-the-letters-of-last-resort
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They speak Navajo!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They speak Navajo!

They were trained at Point Mugu.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Stay in yout lane flyboy!
View Quote

That is my lane.
Jim Creek was one of the dozen facilities I was responsible for.

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That is my lane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay in yout lane flyboy!

That is my lane.

I'll grant you that you probably know more about VLF transmitter sites than I do as I've never visited one. But as a guy who has a few strategic detergent (work it may, shine it must) patrols under his belt, ran the LANTFLT submarine broadcasts (including ELF) for 3 years and has been on the receiving end of TACAMO and ABNCP missions, it's a little more of my lane. I was also a towed buoy antenna maintenance technician.

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'll grant you that you probably know more about VLF transmitter sites than I do as I've never visited one. But as a guy who has a few strategic detergent (work it may, shine it must) patrols under his belt, ran the LANTFLT submarine broadcasts (including ELF) for 3 years and has been on the receiving end of TACAMO and ABNCP missions, it's a little more of my lane. I was also a towed buoy antenna maintenance technician.

View Quote

Tide or all-tempa Cheer?

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

inside the final stage of the transmitter room, before it goes out to the antenna, looks like a 1950s Sci-Fi movie.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

inside the final stage of the transmitter room, before it goes out to the antenna, looks like a 1950s Sci-Fi movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd heard they have capacitors so big they're field dayed with a foxtail and dust pan.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Typed a few of those in my day. And made some phone calls about them too. One lady had a cat named Snatch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We used to get 10 forms to give to family with 50 blank spaces on them for family grams (name and rank got subtracted out of the 50).  The opposite crew screened and uploaded them, and the XO (and/or COB) on the ship screened them before you got it in hand.  You were doing well to get 6 or 7 in a 10 week patrol.

I got pulled aside one day and asked "who is Missy?" by the XO.  Missy was my parent's lab.  The message in question included "Missy disappeared 5 days.  Came home stinking of diesel and whiskey."  She'd fallen into an oil drain pit in someone's barn.  Anything sexy would get the name redacted and posted outside crews mess.  I remember someone's wife sent something about missing Monday Night Football that was amazingly phrased and got the whole crew worked up. She was a gifted poet.

And like I said, we had orders to cover scheduled HF voice transmissions from time to time as part of routine business.  When the def-con ratcheted up, those bands would go in availability.  "alfa velvita knuckle underwear sphincter spider mucous ringworm.  I repeat alfa velvita...." with a paper shredder running in the background, and the signal fading in and out.  Picture DX from turbo prop.

The best part was every boat in the fleet could read them on the broadcast.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Super long towed antennas from what I have read
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We broadcast Marvin Gaye on all HF frequencies.
View Quote

Even of Father's Day?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'd heard they have capacitors so big they're field dayed with a foxtail and dust pan.
View Quote

This is pretty close.

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

ill have you know that I was Assistant Urinalysis Coordinator.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#35]
AND!  I am famously known for my role during a fire drill as Injured Man in his Rack.  So much so that an entire fire team felt the urge to speak up and say that there would be no future need for such roles in the future, so convincing and bold was my portrayal.  And thus afterward, the script was re-written for a new character; Injured (and Clothed Man who Uses Neither Clothespins nor Excessive Smut) in his Rack.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#36]
And I also was The Dark Horse on Halfway Night once.  I did a lot of dishes that night and got a tshirt.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Magic and shit.
View Quote

Going with this.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duty meat gazer?
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Google is a motherfuqqer

Open source, found in seconds.  You’re right though, only 60 ft down. If you believe the open source article.
View Quote

Somethings fucky
Aircraft at 20,000ft
Spools out 26,000ft of antenna with the intention of getting it as vertical as possible.

All to penetrate 60ft of water
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Submarines were definitely not what I thought the thread was about. But I'm a pervert.

View Quote

Yeah, that first smack on the ass usually gets the message across, right?

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Note on a rock.

Or we COULD just schedule check-ins....

John
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Repeating sharks with fricken laser beams.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
AND!  I am famously known for my role during a fire drill as Injured Man in his Rack.  So much so that an entire fire team felt the urge to speak up and say that there would be no future need for such roles in the future, so convincing and bold was my portrayal.  And thus afterward, the script was re-written for a new character; Injured (and Clothed Man who Uses Neither Clothespins nor Excessive Smut) in his Rack.
View Quote

How does one become "injured" in your rack? Get a little too exuberant with your patrol sock?
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I heard Spint's coverage is getting better.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Related to topic, right in my neighborhood, built in the 1950's so not the latest stuff;

Read Me

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top