Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Expose her to videos/podcasts/books about how terrible and poisened a lot of our food is these days. Learning about that stuff is eye opening, and a healthy diet is a good start.

Link Posted: Yesterday 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

It's a risky operation, but it's worth it.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:31:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#3]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:
Spin-off from the fat fuck thread, no we don't want to see pics of your wife freefallret, we know she's slim and blows you three times a day.

Alright so I'm mid-50's good shape, do a lot of stairmaster/rucking, can walk all day with a decent weight pack, wife is early 50's, a bit chunky but not super fat, BUT her walking range is reducing as she gets older. Right now she can't seem to manage more than 45mins on a trail path, no pack, only slight elevation changes, she used to be fine for 6-7hrs with a light pack.

I'm looking forward to retirement and doing some of the stuff I've been too busy working and raising kids to do the last 15 years, some hiking mixed in with the other things, haven't been to New England, Utah, Montana, Idaho, etc etc, so looking forward to that... BUT... I don't think the wife is gonna be up for any of that by then, or if she is, reluctantly, or wanting to do 30min max walks on flat terrain. I'm not expecting 8hr treks carrying 50lb, BUT would hope she could do 2-3hrs with a daypack.

Any of you have any advice on how to gently get her fitness levels back up ? Right now she is reluctant to even go for a 45mins walk by the creek to stretch her legs.

Gonna be just my luck to work my balls off to provide for the family, retire with $$$ and good health, and be ready to go do stuff, and end up doing it by myself because the wife wants to flub out.
View Quote

"How do you get your wife to improve her fitness game?"

Link Posted: Yesterday 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mamasboy:
In before the funeral?
View Quote

You spelled divorce wrong.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:53:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#5]
Spin-off from the fat fuck thread, no we don't want to see pics of your wife freefallret, we know she's slim and blows you three times a day.

Alright so I'm mid-50's good shape, do a lot of stairmaster/rucking, can walk all day with a decent weight pack, wife is early 50's, a bit chunky but not super fat, BUT her walking range is reducing as she gets older. Right now she can't seem to manage more than 45mins on a trail path, no pack, only slight elevation changes, she used to be fine for 6-7hrs with a light pack.

I'm looking forward to retirement and doing some of the stuff I've been too busy working and raising kids to do the last 15 years, some hiking mixed in with the other things, haven't been to New England, Utah, Montana, Idaho, etc etc, so looking forward to that... BUT... I don't think the wife is gonna be up for any of that by then, or if she is, reluctantly, or wanting to do 30min max walks on flat terrain. I'm not expecting 8hr treks carrying 50lb, BUT would hope she could do 2-3hrs with a daypack.

Any of you have any advice on how to gently get her fitness levels back up ? Right now she is reluctant to even go for a 45mins walk by the creek to stretch her legs.

Gonna be just my luck to work my balls off to provide for the family, retire with $$$ and good health, and be ready to go do stuff, and end up doing it by myself because the wife wants to flub out.
View Quote
I will tell you my wife has never been able to ruck like I do. Especially after her knee surgery.

My recommended is one be supportive,your wife may never be able to do the level of trekking you want to do.

When we take a hike that needs a pack I carry one with gear for both of us.

And I pick walks where you don't need packs, in the last six days we have walked over 40 miles.

Come to Europe and find a place she likes and just walk and see all the neat things.

You can create walks for fitness that doesn't involve a pack or trekking up and down a mountain etc.

Venice for example was a fun day, we knocked out a good 12 miles and her knee has held up fine.

My wife is never going on a ruck March with me, but we still go on trails etc and still meet fitness goals without a pack.

If she has fun she will be more inclined to go walking, especially if it's some place she is motivated to see.

And get carbs and bread out of your house.

Good Luck
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:06:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link to " fat fuck thread".

Link Posted: Yesterday 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Get her a private fitness trainer as a side piece?
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]
You don't.

At least I can't figure it out.

I've tried a few different ways, mostly it ends up with her being defensive, or saying I need to do something for her also. It's frustrating.

What's even more frustrating is we've been through this all before, with great success. She just seems to not care this time and says "Well that was 10 years ago, I was younger".....the rules still work the same, eat less and move more.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine has watched me go from fat to fit and that had motivated her a good bit. Then we went wake boarding/surfing last month and she realizes how little strength she has. She is not very committed, but is actually eating less, not eating late, and eating less junky carbs. She won’t admit it but she’s a carb junkie, I was and decided to cut anything with flour. Now I might a cookie or two once a month. My primary carb intake ks from blackberries, and non-starchy vegetables.

Anyhow I found being an example is somewhat useful. I changed what and how I eat in a somewhat research based manner. I share info with her on things I learn in hopes of her deciding to join along. She’s tried some light intermittent fasting, and made a few other changes.

I too cannot get her or my kids to want to go for a walk when they all get home. Then again my neighborhood is a 10%-15% slope, so walking is more of a mountain hike.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By smokinghole:
Mine has watched me go from fat to fit and that had motivated her a good bit. Then we went wake boarding/surfing last month and she realizes how little strength she has. She is not very committed, but is actually eating less, not eating late, and eating less junky carbs. She won’t admit it but she’s a carb junkie, I was and decided to cut anything with flour. Now I might a cookie or two once a month. My primary carb intake ks from blackberries, and non-starchy vegetables.

Anyhow I found being an example is somewhat useful. I changed what and how I eat in a somewhat research based manner. I share info with her on things I learn in hopes of her deciding to join along. She’s tried some light intermittent fasting, and made a few other changes.

I too cannot get her or my kids to want to go for a walk when they all get home. Then again my neighborhood is a 10%-15% slope, so walking is more of a mountain hike.
View Quote

Mine is a carb junkie too....bad.

I suggested keto as something to try and she goes "And just eat meat all the time?"....well yeah, kind of. It's like easy mode.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
I'd just fucking tell her. Yes I'm happily married and yes those conversations at times have to happen
View Quote

Link Posted: Yesterday 6:32:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vaughn4380] [#12]
View Quote

Welcome to the party pal. I am already living this scenario and as others have said, mentioning anything just starts a fight. My wife would rather finish out life on a Rascal than make any effort to improve her health. 120 and fit when we married, 260 and lethargic now. I did insist she see a doc to rule out illness or disease. He found nothing.

I have actually lost ten pounds and increased muscle since the wedding 18 years ago. Increased work outs too. When we go out to restaurants now I often get mistaken as my wife’s middle aged son. Very awkward.

You get used to doing activities on your own, and you should keep doing them. No reason not to enjoy your health. I was able to buy a nice bass boat since my wife never wants to go boating anymore. She was pushing for a pontoon but never went out with me on our last boat (a runabout). Also still ride a Harley, but no need for the Ultra Classic as the wife has refused to ride for years. So traded it in on a Street Glide. It sucks and is not how I saw my life, but you make the best of it and focus on time with the kids.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Work out with her. We just got back from the gym. We wake up at four and just roll out the door. If you’re not making a commitment to your fitness as a couple then it won’t succeed. Lead by example.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:55:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Don’t worry, she’ll start getting in shape as when she’s ready to get a boyfriend and divorce you.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Edge-To-Life:
Work out with her. We just got back from the gym. We wake up at four and just roll out the door. If you’re not making a commitment to your fitness as a couple then it won’t succeed. Lead by example.
View Quote

This. Look for a local gym that has instructor lead classes y’all can do together.

Worked for me. I started dragging my with to Orange Theory classes about a year ago. Now she’s there twice a week on her own time and loving it-not to mention her tone and figure improvements.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#16]
No wife for me but I have a live in girlfriend.
I am very active, I don't own a vehicle, I walk almost everywhere.
Females my age, 68, could not keep up with me.
My lady friend is 30 years younger and weighs 110 pounds. She knows that where we live single women outnumber the men 10 to 1 so she has a lot of incentive to stay fit.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tveddy:
Its called a solo hike
View Quote
This.

Sometime when we are out I get up at 5am and go up the mountain solo.  When I get back completely spent I have lunch and do the wife hike.  She says "you are slow, can't you keep up?"   But I endure since I know at least it will be short.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Find her a boyfriend.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Is she spending time watching TV or looking at social media?
Turn that shit off and have her earn it back.
You want to look at FB, IG, for 30 min.?
Earn it by walking 30 min.

Link Posted: Yesterday 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Move someplace flat?
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#21]
more sex.  

or divorce.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Tell her she's fat and no longer attractive.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Find ways to be active in your day to day lives.

Not a workout to workout, but something enjoyable that keeps you both moving.

Even something like disc golf.  It's fun, outdoors, low impact, and just gets people outside moving.

Don't make it a massive deal, just regular, habitual fun.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Buy her exercise equipment for Christmas.

And a vacuum cleaner.

Report back.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By atlantisman:
Call her fat and tell her if she doesn’t lose weight you’ll get a girlfriend
View Quote

Been there, done that, mixed results. Most want a man that they can lock down and then let themselves go, literally, to pot.

The Other Resident, who is way overweight, has told me "Go ahead, just don't bring her here." and "There's the door." Entitled bitch is so deep into passive-aggressive behavior that she won't even take care of her physical (and mental) condition. She knows that she could use the court system to financially rape me and that I don't want to end up living under a bridge, so she acts like an ogre. FML!

I'm in decent shape for being 70+, been told I look at least 10 years younger. I could stand to lose 20 pounds but no BO (belly overhang). The fact that I'm in better shape than her seems to irritate her to no end and triggers more BS.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Buy her exercise equipment for Christmas.  Friend did that just before she divorced him and took his kid.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Find an exercise that you can do together that starts out slow and works up in intensity.  Start doing smaller hikes now and maybe she’ll realize that she’s out of shape.

I took my parents on trips to North Rim, Bryce, Zion, etc and mom was barely able to walk, two knee replacements, diabetes, ready for dialysis, etc.  we sometimes leave her at the base or the trailhead and gather her when we finished.  She may not be able to do those hikes as years go by, do them now while you can.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 10mmManiac:

This is what they expect, fuck being "gentle". Tell her how it is and be very honest without being ignorant. Express your concerns. If she gets mad, tough shit, she let herself get out of shape. People need to be held accountable and not have everything sugar coated especially when it comes to their health.
View Quote

That’s how you talk to other men.

Women are not men.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GDaawg:
Do like my dad did. Tell her if she doesn't lose at least 50 lbs you will divorce her ass.  After my mom cried in a bed a week straight after being told this she finally woke up and started dieting and using a treadmill. Got down to 120lbs again.

Not saying my dad wasn't an asshole but his method worked! Temporarily at least. She eventually gained it back a couple years later. And yes they ended up divorced anyway.
View Quote

Well, she was a quitter and he kept his word.  

Link Posted: Yesterday 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Take her to a doctor and get her a stress test. Could be a legit health issue
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Start fucking hot chicks with pics and videos and such while hiking and then show her how much fun it is.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MinnFinn:
Expose her to videos/podcasts/books about how terrible and poisened a lot of our food is these days. Learning about that stuff is eye opening, and a healthy diet is a good start.

View Quote

Part of my tactic. I even point out the “heathy” choices are marketed as such and normal healthy food isn’t marketed with fancy packaging.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By any7ven:
you are asking for problems

fun activities would be a start - frisbee golf, that pickle ball crap that is hot these days

I certainly wouldn’t give her much shit if she’s a good one

gently or super gently for sure
View Quote

Enabler.  Intervention is critical quality of life and health depend on it.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I have the opposite problem.  My wife worked her ass off the last year to drop almost 100 lbs that she gained over the years and from having a baby.  I've fallen off working out and am now flabby.  I haven't gained weight but I also haven't maintained muscle mass.  I also haven't done any running in a long time.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#35]
one of the reasons I married my wife was the fact she was a fitness buff. I'm blessed beyond measure.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Scrambler07:
Get her a horse. Then she will be active, and you’ll never retire. Win win…
View Quote

No downsides to that at all! What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#37]
buy her a peloton and a bunch of weights and tell her to get in shape.

Jess King - Peloton funny moment during warmup

LEG DAY - Getting back into routine (Mic'd Up) | Dannibelle

Link Posted: Yesterday 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Women are a death-trap wrapped in an enigma with a hair triggered claymore

My wife works very well off of goals. Plan a trip with her far enough in advance that requires better fitness and spend some time working out together, holding each other accountable, and encouraging each other.

We have an overlanding trip planned in June, flying down to Costa Rica with several hikes on the itinerary. She's motivated like hell. She's also early 50's but we both want to retire doing what we love doing and it requires a modest level of fitness for those activities.

How bad does she want to do all that shit WITH YOU? If not, your post-retirment activities may be solo, which would suck.

ROCK6
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:33:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MFP_4073] [#39]
has she ever tried Pilates ?

my wife has gotten into those classes for about two years now.  x2 per week.  holy cow -- best money we ever spent

it takes a while to learn how to use the reformer machines -- but with good instructors -- the benefit is there.  low impact.  excellent results.

bottom line -- she has to ENJOY doing whatever it is.  if she does not -- it won't stick.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:36:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OnlineAllTheTime] [#40]
Tell her what you told us.  

If y'all have a good marriage she should be stoked you want to spend more time with her.  I wouldn't necessarily word it that you want her to change so she can keep up with you----lay it out that you want to work together to up BOTH of y'all's game so as the years go by y'all are able to do the things y'all want.  The healthier and more fit y'all are the more options y'all have for how to spend leisure time.  Start sending her pics and videos of gorgeous hikes, vacation things, places to stay, etc.  Get her imagining going and doing those things.

Hell, start by booking something somewhere beautiful and exciting now for 6 months out where there will be a lot of walking....not necessarily hiking (those Italian/Grecian villages in the mountains with winding streets come to mind)....and say you want to start doing regular workouts/walks together NOW so y'all will be able to get the most out of the vacation.

ETA  ROCK6 beat me.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Playfully call her “tons-of-fun” and describe her as “girthy”.

If that doesn’t work, explain to her that if she doesn’t get her shit together you will be seeking companionship elsewhere.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Try to do things she'll want to be involved in.  If she's not as into it as you, well that's that.

I'll say this, my mom is now 82 and wishes she had exercised more.  Her legs and knees are shot and she can barely walk.  She fell in the yard over the summer and the trash guys found here, she can't even get off the ground on her own.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By GDaawg:
Do like my dad did. Tell her if she doesn't lose at least 50 lbs you will divorce her ass.  After my mom cried in a bed a week straight after being told this she finally woke up and started dieting and using a treadmill. Got down to 120lbs again.

Not saying my dad wasn't an asshole but his method worked! Temporarily at least. She eventually gained it back a couple years later. And yes they ended up divorced anyway.
View Quote

This sounds like horrible advice
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
buy her a peloton and a bunch of weights and tell her to get in shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJWl_CFdsJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRGMFh_btTk
View Quote

That pre-Christmas Peloton tv commercial several years ago really inspired a lot of people!
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Get her on board with your ideas. If she balks, then do not give up on your dreams of hikes and vacations. Go without her.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#46]
In my opinion, there are certain things that need to happen.  There needs to be some sort of reality check that lets her know she is out of shape.  But being that women are mostly crazy and never forget anything, I dont think its feasible for the husband to be the one to flat out tell her.  There may be the rare woman that can take constructive criticism well, but the vast majority of them will let it eat away at them.  Your job will be once she has her reality check and decides she's out of shape, is to be supportive.  Help her set goals and stay motivated.

You need somebody, besides yourself, who is brutally honest.  If you tell your wife she's fat or out of shape, shell never forget it.

I guess I lucked out.  My wife's asian mom told her she was packing on a few pounds.  Asian is harsh.  Wife puts on like 7lb and her mom basically called her fat bastard off the Austin Powers movie.  My kid dropped a hint here and there about her getting soft.

Then all I have to do is be supportive.  I'm her exercise buddy.  I'm eating some of the same boring healthy bullshit she is.  She was asking about building a gaming computer.  I told her if she can drop X lb, she can have mine.

Link Posted: Yesterday 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Get a map of a place you might like to see.  
 Writing this I'm picturing my Montana map that I use for hunting and fishing mountain lakes.

Find a lake or what might interest you.  Nowadays you can look it up on the internet for some insight.  

Say you find a spot and are now researching it and learning a little about the place and maybe logistics of a hike there.
  You can show this to your wife and see if she is interested in this place.  If so talk about it and maybe it'll turn into a plan or goal .  

Link Posted: Yesterday 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Women think men will change, men think women will not.

No clue how to motivate a woman to get better rather than get bitter.  Modern feminism just has crammed the bitter to the bone.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Tell her you asked for advice on the AR15 forums.  That will definitely motivate her to improve herself.

Seriously, if she can't keep up with you anymore and she won't take it upon herself to try to do better, there is nothing you can do.

And hopefully, she realizes that she is holding you back and will let you enjoy the outdoors as you want to.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top