Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2019 9:14:51 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting one for the deer lease. It will be used mostly for cutting back trees to keep trails open and cutting up fallen trees.

Do they work well enough for this kind of work?

I am thinking about getting this one
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Buddy has one and it works well for light work stuff. Probably serve you well for what you described.

For the price though, I’d just go get a stihl wood boss!
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a $90 Poulan and shitcan it when you are done.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a $90 Poulan and shitcan it when you are done.
View Quote
Shit, my 16” Poulan is 18 abused years old and still runs like a champ. Chain gets nice and sharp, but dulls fast, so I should stop being cheap and replace the chain.

Can’t beat a Stihl MS271 for an all-around GP saw, though...
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
GREAT for small limbs.

Terrible for much more than small limbs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Makita 36v.  It bucked a 24 inch pine tree all right.  It has the power of a similarly sized consumer gas model.  The one you posted would do great for limbing.  The bigger model would be great for cutting down small trees.  Any serious work and I'd still rather a larger gas model.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Replace the chain with something commercial and it will be just like a brand new saw.
I did that with my $200.14-year-old Husky and it runs like a champ. Literally goes through Wood three times faster.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to by a 60v Dewalt to throw in the Jeep for cutting trees and such in the spring off trails . Dewalt rep said dont waste your money go by a small Stihl . So I did .
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I use an AC Electric Plug In where I'm burning all my debris.  No gas can by the fire, Don't have to pull start EVERY FUCKIN' TIME.

I've got a Stihl and Poulan for the big stuff. By the time it's moved to the pit, it's all minor.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The one that is an attachment on my string trimmer works awesome and is handy as hell, especially for shooting lanes.

Other than that I have a cordless sawzall that runs off my drill batteries that runs a long while and will cut up to 6”+ or so
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Small stuff they work fine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Milwaukee M18 Fuel Chainsaw vs Stihl Gas Chainsaw NPS18 Demo
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was going to by a 60v Dewalt to throw in the Jeep for cutting trees and such in the spring off trails . Dewalt rep said dont waste your money go by a small Stihl . So I did .
View Quote
I bought the 18v milwaulkee chain saw just for this. Paired with their car charger it's perfect for the trails/campsite.  I also have their 18v impact which shares the same battery. I don't have anything that uses mixed gas anymore.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#13]
M18 chainsaw is surprisingly capable when the batteries are fresh.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
They actually work surprisingly well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]
From my understanding of modern cordless equipment, they're pretty good for most stuff except:

Leaf blowers
Lawn mowers
Snow blowers

You should be fine with a cordless chainsaw unless you're using it a lot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
 That gas chain was dull as fuck. Though the electric did cut better than I expected.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#17]
put a fresh chain on there and that stihl would smoke that electric one. Look at the saw dust, it's duller than fuckall.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Oregon with the built in chain sharpener works very well.

That is the only cordless chainsaw I would consider.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I use a 10" wood cutting blade on my dewalt sawzall around the house when I don't need to break out the chainsaw.  That might be something you could consider.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That gas chain was dull as fuck. Though the electric did cut better than I expected.
View Quote
Damn straight it was, look at the size of the thrown chips on the Milwaukee, larger chips which is an indication of a sharp chain, then look at the sawdust pile by the Stihl, duller than hell chain.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've got a dewalt one.

Love it. Use it to cut back brush in pastures.

I pull out the gas chainsaw for anything heavier than soft woods.

It's really nice not having to listen to that God damn thing for quick jobs.

Generally charge it overnight,  head out and cut till the batt dies, then throw it back on the charger.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the replies I think I'm getting one not sure which one yet.

Does Ryobi ond Makita make good products?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Why not just go with a cheap gas saw? I like electric stuff as much as the next guy but that's pretty much exactly what they were designed for.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I have extensively used a Dewalt 20 volt MAX for the EXACT purpose you describe, and it’s definitely adequate for the job. Battery wise, I can cut off and on for about half a day on a big 9ah battery. It’s most useful for trimming back limbs to keep trails/sight lines open. Taking down whole (small) trees is doable, but the ergonomics of the Dewalt don’t lend themselves to horizontal saw use. I have, when necessary, made 6” cuts with it.  There’s plenty of power, but the chain speed is kind of lame. Maybe their 60 volt version would be better.

The Dewalt 20 volt (here) is the only one I’ve used much. The ergonomics aren’t perfect, but I can live with them.

One big pro for cordless chain saws is the lack of noise. Hearing protection isn’t needed, and if you’ve got someone working with you, you can converse.

However my personal favorite thing about them is that you don’t have to start it.  You can pick it up, make a few cuts, set it down to drag brush, and pick it up to cut again.  All without noise or pull starting it. To me, that’s worth the somewhat awkward ergonomics and slow chain speed.

From a cost perspective, obviously, consider sticking with a saw that can use your existing batteries, whichever flavor that may be.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the Ego 14" chainsaw.  I hardly ever use chainsaws so I know just enough to keep the chain away from me, but it cut down a 10" diameter tree in chunks pretty well.  The base of the stump made it struggle a bit, but it did it.  It ate right through the limbs and the 6-8" sections of the trunk just fine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've got a dewalt one.

Love it. Use it to cut back brush in pastures.

I pull out the gas chainsaw for anything heavier than soft woods.

It's really nice not having to listen to that God damn thing for quick jobs.

Generally charge it overnight,  head out and cut till the batt dies, then throw it back on the charger.
View Quote
+1 all of this
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

put a fresh chain on there and that stihl would smoke that electric one. Look at the saw dust, it's duller than fuckall.
View Quote
It wont, though. The Milwaukee and dewalt brushless chainsaws work incredibly well.  I'd take either one over a small gas saw.  My 60v dewalt makes a mockery of my small stihl, sharp chain or not
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a flexvolt Dewalt and it is great for what it is.  With a fresh battery, it starts every time without any maintenance.  It can sit for months and be ready immediately.  No mixing of fuel, no issues in starting, and it easy to transport.

It cuts very quickly, and 12 inch trunks are no problem.  I’ve cut much thicker, but have to attack it from both sides.  It has a thin blade that dulls after 2 batteries.

Sure, once you are out of charge, it can take awhile to get back into action.

I’m no professional, so it works for me.  I mean, I dont drive a Uhaul truck just because I may need to move in 5 years.

It’s so simple, but has its limitations.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a battery Stihl

Works great
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#31]
The cordless gas powered ones work great.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a 40v black and Decker that has been flawless. I've cut down trees that were 10-12" without any problem.

Before purchasing, regardless of brand, verify the cost of spare batteries. You'll probably want at least one extra for your trail work, plus eventually it'll will need to be replaced. Some brands have absurdly priced batteries, like $200+. Also, it's good to match it with another piece of equipment. I have the 40v Black and Decker string trimmer, so the batteries are interchangeable, and gives me a spare for either.

Amazon Product
  • 40V MAX Lithium Ion Battery for longer runtime and overall life
  • 12" premium bar and chain. Automatic oiling system
  • Suitable for pruning branches and cutting fallen limbs

Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#33]
M18 sawzall with a big blade works just as good IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#34]
The Ryobi can cut through 2 railroad ties on 1 charge. After 10 railroad ties you can only cut through 1 per charge
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
M18 sawzall with a big blade works just as good IMHO.
View Quote
Yes. Surprisingly well.  Sawzall, loppers and cordless chainsaw make the trifecta of trail maintenance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#36]
For that price, OP, get a Silky Katanaboy. Lighter, no batteries to haul around, and very fast.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Ryobi can cut through 2 railroad ties on 1 charge. After 10 railroad ties you can only cut through 1 per charge
View Quote
Thats kinda fucky, must be over heating the battery to some degree or over discharging it, over discharge one cell more than the others and it will cause similar problems.  Same as with an R/C toy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Can someone show me a chainsaw with a cord?
I’ve only ever seen “cordless” I.e. gasoline powered chainsaw.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I use a 10" wood cutting blade on my dewalt sawzall around the house when I don't need to break out the chainsaw.  That might be something you could consider.
View Quote
I use a sawzall also. The chain works much better than a bent reciprocating blade,
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#40]
My FIL has the EGO chainsaw and line trimmer.  I cut two, 10" limbs maybe 20-25' each off his maple with my pole saw today.  He sectioned both of them on one battery with the EGO, not bad at all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#41]
If you are already invested in the batteries and charger, then to spend a $100 on a chainsaw for light work makes sense. But at $340 with tax you can be looking at a decent homeowner grade saw.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#42]
The battery only has so much oomph.  A little trimming, they're nice.  If you get to cutting wood to burn or take down a tree, not enough capacity.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I noticed that as well, that saw should have been spewing long, curly chips instead of powder.
Apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#44]
T&D Lineman use Milwaukee ones for the utility I work for. They don't seem to have any trouble zipping through utility poles.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can someone show me a chainsaw with a cord?
I’ve only ever seen “cordless” I.e. gasoline powered chainsaw.
View Quote
Battery

AC Cord

Battery
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
T&D Lineman use Milwaukee ones for the utility I work for. They don't seem to have any trouble zipping through utility poles.
View Quote
I've used the dewalt 60 volt when building pole sheds. Way safer than gas saws.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I have that exact saw. It works well for limbing. I've also cut down some smaller trees with it. If you already have Makita tools, check Ebay for the bare tools.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I have had a B&D 10 inch cordless for. 8-10 years.  It is great for <8 inch wood and OK for up to 15 inches.  Very handy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I have an EGO chainsaw with a 16" bar and a 5Ah battery.  IT KICKS ASS.

I've mainly used it for delimbing, but it was also able to handle a giant oak limb that fell out of a huge, old tree.  The limb was as large as a tree itself.  About two feet across at the base, where it broke off.   Sumbitch shook my whole house when it fell.

I had a friend with a gas saw helping me with that one, but I'd say we each did about half the work.  My saw held its own.  And the battery lasted a surprisingly long time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm happy with the dewalt 40v brushless saw, and blower.

The you tube reviews say the 40v is commercial duty and is superior to the 60v, but this may only be hype.

The 40v batteries are huge, the size of a lawn mower battery.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top