Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/26/2024 9:52:11 PM EDT
I had hernia surgery last week and I won't be ok'd to go back to work for another couple of weeks. So far I have read almost all of ARFCOM, watched a bunch of shows and free movies on Roku, walked around the neighborhood a few times, and taken an occasional nap in the afternoons. I have home projects I would like to do but they don't want me lifting anything. I used to daydream about how nice it would be to just have a couple of weeks away from work to do nothing and now that I have that time I am bored AF.  I think for retirement I am going to need to find some hobbies and set some sort of routine. I might start a retirement ammo stash to be able to go shooting once a week and buy model kits to stash away.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the opposite problem.  Too many hobbies, and work interferes with them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:57:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LostX] [#2]
Dad retired a couple years ago. He also lives OCONUS 8/9 months out of the year. The few months he's here, he goes stir crazy. There's only so much you can do around the house that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

So he went back to the company he retired from, kinda an advisory role, with hourly pay instead of salary. He's been there since about '82 and helped the company gets onto its feet. They don't mind is hiatus and welcome him back each year.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I started upgrading and fixing up my house, been getting my hunting land ready,
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I returned to scale modeling in my early 40’s to battle depression and anxiety from work.  It’s been a great hobby for me and it’s a huge time sink in a positive way.  I plan to really ramp up when I retire in about six years.  I also find it’s one of those hobbies I can do on a schedule.  I usually do 3 or so hours a few nights each week.  In retirement, I hope to do around five or six hours a day through the week.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang

I had hernia repair on Thursday and was back at work Monday.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:00:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE] [#7]
Get a flintlock rifle kit
https://kiblerslongrifles.com/
It doesn’t just stop there, however

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you looked at offering your services on OnlyFans? I hear it pays well

Seriously, stay the fuck away from restoring cars/boats/planes
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Reloading ammo or tying flies.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Shooting is my Salvation
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#11]
Thrift shops, yard sales and flea markets. Look at the different things that would be relaxing to collect (not beanie babies). I’ve always collected various old non-electric lighting fixtures like barn lamps and Coleman camping lanterns.

The most recent thread related to that subject:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Autumn-is-closing-in-it-s-time-for-me-to-revive-the-Canoeguy-oil-lamp-thread-/5-2744596/

And a good Coleman resource:

https://www.oldtowncoleman.com

And as Norseman said above, stay away from restoring vehicles, unless you already have a lifelong passion for that hobby.

OR…

Make it a goal to make weekend trips to all the different odd and unusual places and attractions in your state. Look for books that apply to you, similar to this:

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
3d printing
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#13]
3D printing or setting up a hobby metal shop might keep you learning & involved.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By IT_Cowboy:
I had hernia surgery last week and I won't be ok'd to go back to work for another couple of weeks. So far I have read almost all of ARFCOM...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mike_Golf:
Shooting is my Salvation
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I took up black powder rifle shooting. Takes a lot longer to load and shoot than any AR rifle. Also challenging to shoot with only iron sights.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Swage your own bullets
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Have you thought about getting into guns and shooting?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Another poster suggested reloading.  I second that.  It takes a surprising amount of work to reload bottleneck rifle cartridges.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Fishing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Learn to grow your own food.

Trust me. You’ll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

This.  The one thing I won't ever be in retirement is bored.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#25]
Reloading can get expensive now.
Wood working building cabinets etc also expensive now.
Fuck golf .
Gardening and planting fruit and nut trees. About 10 yrs for a walnut tree to produce more for pecans.
Guitar, hand drums …
Paint with oil paints …
Fish…
Kayak …. <===<<<
Motorcycle
Terratrike. / Bicycle <===<<<
Leather work…
You will go through multiple hobbies but plant your trees early expect to loose some.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#26]
All the above suggestions are top notch, but have you considered miniature war gaming. The amount of time it takes to paint and build an army can eat days.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:20:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Austin4130] [#27]
Get into local history, or family history - then branch to whatever interests you.

Neat knowledge to have, and pass on to others.

Throughout recent times, the history books were written by the victors for the most part. Neat to see opposing takes on things.

Also, get outdoors and when proficient, take a kid with you and pass it on.

I want to one day road trip through the history of the National Parks and Civilian Conservation Corps projects / work.

along with maybe:

Leatherwork / Kydex / Knifemaking/Blacksmithing / Mountain Biking w/Ebike / Golf / maybe some fishing but probably more like boating / and general tinkering
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#28]
For the nice outdoor days:
RC Model aircraft / Drones / Helicopter / Cars / Boats / etc
Bicycling

For when it sucks:
Guitar / Keyboard / Drums
3D Printing
Model Railroading (imitation crab meat optional)
Computer gaming - shooters / simulations / strategy

TYCOM
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Get yourself a boat for fishing and some remote land but within a 2 hour drive and build a cabin to go hunting or just messing around there .

Walking the dogs , wild life viewing etc..  

Depends what you're into

Or retire on a Greek Island and eat good food and drink Uzo all day

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#30]
If you're one of the poors, getting into a corvette club or some restored tractor rides group might be cool.

But since we're on arfcom, we all plan on circumnavigating the globe on our 87' yachts when we retire at age 45 hugh heffner style. Maybe shoot at pirates off the coast of Somalia for shits and giggles with our gold plated/engraved ma dueces from the helicopter launched from our boats.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By cancard:

Fishing.
View Quote
 Never had a bad day putting a line in the water.  Also putting a kid on their first fish never gets old.  I got my old neighbors 7 year old twins some dock demons and the both caught their first blue gills within 5 minutes at the local pond.  Some of the best 30 bucks I ever spent.  She wants to catch a bass he is happy pulling in whatever.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#32]
My indoor hobbies are saltwater aquarium and building lego.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Model railroads are pretty fun if you're into scale building, it's not so much the locomotives themselves but everything else around them that really makes the hobby. It can literally consume your entire lifetime, but interest in it is fading now so you can sometimes find used cheap layouts.

One Of The Best and Most Detailed Model Railroad Layouts in the World 4K UHD

30 Minutes of O Gauge Steam Trains!
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:46:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Otter-pop] [#34]
Violin making or repair?  Seriously.  Make them and give them to young students.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Get a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:52:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#36]
Telescopes are a good one. When I start having months free for road trips beyond the usual camping etc, thinking of adding a 16 inch SCT or something major to the mix, and chasing  elusive perfect skies ("seeing conditions") up in the mountains of AZ/NM and looking for surface detail on ganymede and other difficult but doable telescope challenges
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#37]
My dad was executive white collar management. When he retired, after about 6 months we told him to get a hobby, a job, or we were going to give him concrete shoes in the lake.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Ham Radio.
No better place to whine about old guy medical problems than the amateur radio airwaves.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:07:50 AM EDT
[#39]
OP, you have to have interests before you can have hobbies. What are you interested in? The right hobby can keep you VERY busy, especially those hobbies that branch out!

For example;  I'm into precision target shooting with both pistol and bolt-action rifles. I'm also always looking for a better carry pistol, and wouldn't mind also finding a nice JM Marlin. So all that right there has me 1) handloading, 2)building precision rifles and stocks, 3)visiting gun shows looking for guns, and 4)spending days at the range testing and firing guns & loads. Heck, recently I spent 2 days just building a custom snap-cap for my target rifle and making the notes for it. https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Making-a-custom-Snap-Cap-for-any-cartridge--/42-553192/

I've also been into building radio control airplanes for 40 years. Shopping kits, tools, supplies, and building the planes keeps me busy none stop.

Did I already ask? What are you interested in?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By cancard:

Fishing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#42]
buy a ranch
retired 15 years ago..

your hobbies will be plumbing, fence mending, quad repair, tire fixin, electrical work, gate building, hay baling, cow chasing, hog hunting and coyote shooting
and a dozen other things I can't think of right now.. Mainly because I have to get to work on my 32 hour a week Hobby Job so I can afford the afore mentioned hobbies.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Become a Hobo, it’s a growth industry.  Beg for money on street corners, Walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Kane in Kung Fu.  Wherever you lay your hat is home.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#44]
We just talked about this last night, my wife is excited to retire and do hobbies all the time.

I'm dreading it. I'm going to have to get another business or at least find some work to do or I'll jump off a bridge.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Start shooting sporting clays. Plenty of opportunities to travel and burn through your retirement savings with that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:03:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm retired.

I'm too busy for hobbies.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:
Reloading ammo or tying flies.
View Quote

Reloading ammo, that is the hobby I want to get into, buddy of mine does it, need to make some space for a bench.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:13:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 999monkeys] [#48]
Originally Posted By VaniB:
OP, you have to have interests before you can have hobbies. What are you interested in? The right hobby can keep you VERY busy, especially those hobbies that branch out!

For example;  I'm into precision target shooting with both pistol and bolt-action rifles. I'm also always looking for a better carry pistol, and wouldn't mind also finding a nice JM Marlin. So all that right there has me 1) handloading, 2)building precision rifles and stocks, 3)visiting gun shows looking for guns, and 4)spending days at the range testing and firing guns & loads. Heck, recently I spent 2 days just building a custom snap-cap for my target rifle and making the notes for it. https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Making-a-custom-Snap-Cap-for-any-cartridge--/42-553192/

I've also been into building radio control airplanes for 40 years. Shopping kits, tools, supplies, and building the planes keeps me busy none stop.

Did I already ask? What are you interested in?
View Quote

Good point
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#49]
My old partner from work is going through this right now, he finally retired last week.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:15:25 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

This^

The only time I am ever bored is when I am stuck on a trip or something , family stuff, and am thinking of all the stuff I could be getting done at home.

Wake up in the morning and try to decide which direction I’m going….
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top