Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/26/2019 11:08:40 PM EDT
OAttachment Attached File
During the 74th Reunion of Honor on Iwo Jima this weekend.  Incredible experience being on that island.  Collected volcanic ash from Green Beach.
Anyone else from ARFCOM there?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty cool
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't there, but my dad was (Seabee on the beach.) Visiting there is on my bucket list for sure. Cool picture!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
That would be a trip to remember. I watched a show where a couple of guys went through some of the Japanese tunnels. There was used equipment strewn everywhere. It was weird to see stuff left just as it was in 1945.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The invasion beaches are about 45 feet above sea level now.  Trying to resize some pics to post
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard it was very hard to get to Iwo. Is there any truth to that?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Hard???  Hell yes it is hard.
Submit passport months in advance.  Japanese control the island, so they allow visitors one day a year.  
Flew to Guam.  Took charter United flight to Iwo Jima.  Japanese quarantine inspectors checked us all for fevers with an infrared camera.  Then customs boarded and confiscated our passports (they did stamp it with a Iwo To stamp which is the new name of the island).
Had about 6 hours to visit.  No ground transportation unless you are a Veteran of the campaign.   Walk everywhere.  Marines and Corpsmen provide water stops about every 2 miles.   10 mile round trip from Suribachi to airport .
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Kudos!

I conquered Mt. Sriracha recently.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of years it took for the earth to make that volcanic ash for you and all the other yahoos to take and destroy the ecology
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Sacred ground.

Cool picture.

Much respect.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Submit passport months in advance.  Japanese control the island, so they allow visitors one day a year.  
Flew to Guam.  Took charter United flight to Iwo Jima.  Japanese quarantine inspectors checked us all for fevers with an infrared camera.  Then customs boarded and confiscated our passports (they did stamp it with a Iwo To stamp which is the new name of the island).
Had about 6 hours to visit.  No ground transportation unless you are a Veteran of the campaign.   Walk everywhere.  Marines and Corpsmen provide water stops about every 2 miles.   10 mile round trip from Suribachi to airport .
View Quote
We stopped to refuel there on the way to Okinawa. It’s a spooky place to walk. I think I have a picture under the control tower.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Green and Red Beaches from Mt. Suribachi
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for posting this!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Would be an appropriate place for a replica of the USMC monument.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Holy shit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#18]
My uncle was in 3rd Marines and in the initial landing and attack.  He was a combat soldier and made it through without a scratch.  He sent my grandparents, his parents, an 8X10 photo of the official Rosenthal version of the flag raising that has Rosenthal's signature and stamped "Official Photograph-3D Mar. Div.".  Obviously Rosenthal's signature isn't an ink on photo original, but it is the photo that Marines were able to procure or was given to 3rd Marines.

Interestingly a receipt is glue to the back of the cardboard rear from Beeville Lumber Company, Beeville TX, who did the framing of the pic for his parents.  It's dated October 1945, to his parents.  It shows two photos for 70 cents each for a total of $1.40 for the framing service.  I wish I knew what the other pic was.  It was left to me by my grandfather, and I've cherished it.  It's in my gun/reloading room on the wall.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of years it took for the earth to make that volcanic ash for you and all the other yahoos to take and destroy the ecology
View Quote
Shutting the fuck up. Try it.
Good shit, op!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For real? Go amuse yourself in one of the AOC leghumpers threads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow you are so original........ aoc can go fuck herself with a sword for all I care.  What’s next, are you going to ask me to change your mind?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Hat tip
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The invasion beaches are about 45 feet above sea level now.  Trying to resize some pics to post
View Quote
GLOBAL WARMING!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow, always wanted to see that place in person.

Sacred ground indeed.

Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]
That's pretty fucking cool OP.  I'm jealous.

I hate when people have to take a big shit in cool threads like this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/356991/IMG_4751_JPG-891611.JPG
Green and Red Beaches from Mt. Suribachi
View Quote
Super cool picture. The old man used to tell stories about that place. He said he used the blade on his dozer as a bullet barrier while they cleared tank traps. Later he bulldozed japs, dead and alive into the surf. That shit haunted him.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
WeGotOne.gif
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Very cool OP!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow, pretty cool, did not know the Japs controlled the island with an iron grip.

May have try that, I was on Guam for 2 years and never even thought about going to Iwo Jima.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wow, always thought you were better than this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thank you for posting this!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
@texassooner

LOL in your trying to sound tough on the internet shit talking the OP did you forget the whole part about the island being blown up in ww2?

God damn you failed hard buddy.  Better luck next time!
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wow, what an incredibly ignorant post. Congratulations and good for you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wouldn’t worry so much. Suribachi is still an active volcano. It’s not like it’s going to run out of volcanic sand anytime soon.

Iwo Jima has risen more out of the sea since WW2. Those ships wrecked on the shore used to be further out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#38]
ya did good OP
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I was on a mil flight that stopped over there once. I was floored at how small the island was considering it’s history in WW2.

It felt erie to be there where it was peaceful and under Japanese control, but comforting knowing it was in a way still ours too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Did you see Martha from Fox News there?  She was showing off pictures from her trip
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Did you get a chance to see the Japanese Memorial Park?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only 6 hours? Ain't that some bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Right there with you brother...my dog tags are up there

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wow you are so original........ aoc can go fuck herself with a sword for all I care.  What’s next, are you going to ask me to change your mind?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool......
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I heard it was very hard to get to Iwo. Is there any truth to that?
View Quote
Yes...the Japanese military runs it, whenever we would operate out of there, they would cook for us.  I’ve run the mountain from the barracks (roughly 10 miles) more times than I can remember.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get this shit outta here. And from Texas too. What in the fuck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:44:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Right there with you brother...my dog tags are up there.
View Quote
Yep.  I left mine up there, too.  Spent a little over three weeks in Iwo.  Used to run from the barracks to the top of Mt. Suribachi and back before work.  It's a really peaceful place.

Spent much unauthorized time in tunnels under the island, and it's the only jungle I've ever been in.  Was a trip finding new cave entrances literally inches away that were completely covered by growth.

Over by the tar pit, I tried to go into the "spa" tunnel...the hot wind coming out of that was too intense for me, got about three feet inside and that was all I could take.  Another 15-20 feet inside, my flashlight could make out the table and chairs the Japanese had set up--I have no idea how they made it in that far.

Good memories of Iwo.  The Japanese had a sort of homespun museum they'd made with artifacts found (from both sides).
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:53:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you know that a Pterodactyl's penis could extend up to four feet, enabling it to mate while in flight? That's still a smaller dick than you're being posting stupid shit like that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 3:17:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 3:30:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Neat.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top