BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Your intentions were good, that's what matters
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the range near me, before new management took over.

Rifle rage called “Cold” (never had a RO). Step back to the back bench to reload and then her a shot. The jackass at the end furthest from the entrance to the range pops off a round while people are walking out to change targets.

Packed up my stuff and didn’t go back until a new contract took over (public county range).
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve seen the old guys that scream at people at the range before.  No one listens to them and everyone is glad when they leave.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ha that one is actually even worse. That's difficult to do but fuck the Ocala range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Almost sounds like the range in the Ocala National Forest.
Ha that one is actually even worse. That's difficult to do but fuck the Ocala range.
I was thinking the Ocala range too. I saw a guy in the early 90's shoot a shotgun through someones car door and you park directly behind the bench.   I never went back.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was thinking the Ocala range too.  That place used to be awesome in the early 90's.  Now, not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking the Ocala range too.  That place used to be awesome in the early 90's.  Now, not so much.
25 people stacked shoulder to shoulder on 9(?) benches with no room to breathe and no one giving two shits about a cold range call out? What's not to love?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Rifle rage called “Cold” (never had a RO). Step back to the back bench to reload and then her a shot. The jackass at the end furthest from the entrance to the range pops off a round while people are walking out to change targets.

Packed up my stuff and didn’t go back until a new contract took over (public county range).
View Quote
Was the jackass shooting a mosin nagant m44?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you can't adjust a cheekpiece or replace a scope cap without somehow loading and firing a round, I don't want to share a firing line with you either.

Again... "no touching guns on a cold line" is a rule for people who come to the range on the short bus.
View Quote
So basically a pretty good rule then.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
25 people stacked shoulder to shoulder on 9(?) benches with no room to breathe and no one giving to shots about a cold range call out? What's not to love?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
25 people stacked shoulder to shoulder on 9(?) benches with no room to breathe and no one giving to shots about a cold range call out? What's not to love?
I edited my post.... because I had forgotten about a incident I had, so I added that instead.

25 years ago it wasn't used nearly as much as it in now.  I remember only seeing half of it being used at a time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Would it have been possible to correct the behavior without losing your cool?
View Quote
Where’s the fun in that?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
'No touching guns on a cold line" doesn't do a damn thing for range safety.  It's a baby-proofing rule.  Which is why public common-line shooting ranges are just terrible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what is it called when the exact opposite of a "Fudd" (that I can only presume is a Tier 1 actual operator, operating tactically, in a highly operationally tactical environment) who at 10-12 posts a day for the last 10 years pops off and demonstrates zero concern for range safety. I'm kinda suprised you have any time in your busy schedule to actually do any shooting.
'No touching guns on a cold line" doesn't do a damn thing for range safety.  It's a baby-proofing rule.  Which is why public common-line shooting ranges are just terrible.
Our club doesnt have RSO's watching the ranges.  we self police.  I happen to be a RSO and if I see you touch your gun while people are downrange, I will pull your membership.

It absolutely safer to not touch your gun while the line is cold.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Our club doesnt have RSO's watching the ranges.  we self police.  I happen to be a RSO and if I see you touch your gun while people are downrange, I will pull your membership.

View Quote
It’s even safer to just not bring guns at all.

Maybe you should convert your range into a bocce court.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's even safer to just not bring guns at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's even safer to just not bring guns at all.

so, if you are down range, do you think its perfectly acceptable for me to be fiddling with my rifle, maybe even checking out what you are doing in my scope?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Public gun ranges sound hideous.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#15]
gene5 troll account? English a second language?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Hard to say if you lashed out too hard without seeing it go down.

A cold range is a cold range though and I don’t have any problem with being a hardass to enforce that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
so, if you are down range, do you think its perfectly acceptable for me to be fiddling with my rifle, maybe even checking out what you are doing in my scope?
View Quote
Looking at me through the scope means you’re pointing said rifle at me and that’s not okay.  Handling ammo within reach of the rifle?  Not okay.  Dry firing or otherwise messing with the trigger?  Not okay.

Scope adjustments, tweaking sandbags/bipeds, re-casing or in-casing guns, or other such “fiddling”?  ZFG.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#18]
This is why I hate going to public ranges or with other people I can't trust to follow the safety rules. Thankfully a friend lets me shoot at his 400 acre piece of land. At public ranges I've had people facing their loaded guns in my direction numerous times. Some idiots were shooting steel targets set at 15 yards, at an angle, sending a lot of fragments towards other shooters. This was my last visit to that range.

One time I went shooting out to the BLM land in Arizona desert with some coworkers. One guy was shooting his AK. He dumped about 5 magazines and let his wife shoot out another mag. So, she removed the empty mag, loaded a full one into the AK, flipped the safety lever on and...….. PUT THE RIFLE ON THE TAILGATE OF THE TRUCK, WITH THE BARREL POINTING AT THE CAB WHERE THEIR 2 SMALL CHILDREN WERE SITTING! I could not help myself and yelled at her. She got all defensive, pointing out that the gun was perfectly safe since she set the safety on. My coworker (her husband) got pissed because I yelled at her. He also thought that she did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#19]
F range rules. All lawyers and appeasing the lowest common denominator of intelligence. This is why shooting on your own land is the only answer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Common-line ones generally are.

There’s one around here I will occasionally use because they have good benches, but I’ll only go if there’s nobody else there at the time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are. Fortunately for me, I have a weird work schedule, and usually go to mine early in the morning on weekdays. Typically, I have the whole range to myself.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looking at me through the scope means you're pointing said rifle at me and that's not okay.  Handling ammo within reach of the rifle?  Not okay.  Dry firing or otherwise messing with the trigger?  Not okay.

Scope adjustments, tweaking sandbags/bipeds, re-casing or in-casing guns, or other such "fiddling"?  ZFG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at me through the scope means you're pointing said rifle at me and that's not okay.  Handling ammo within reach of the rifle?  Not okay.  Dry firing or otherwise messing with the trigger?  Not okay.

Scope adjustments, tweaking sandbags/bipeds, re-casing or in-casing guns, or other such "fiddling"?  ZFG.
except the problem with that is in  the liability of the range.  what if you are screwing with the scope and the gun just happens to be loaded, even though its not supposed to be and you have an AD and someone gets shot? will your answer be oops sorry ZFG to the cops?

thats why you dont touch the firearms.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like an over reaction. People who act like jerks in public generally get ignored, laughed at or both.

Try being a leader, it's easier on the heart and mind.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looking at me through the scope means you’re pointing said rifle at me and that’s not okay.  Handling ammo within reach of the rifle?  Not okay.  Dry firing or otherwise messing with the trigger?  Not okay.

Scope adjustments, tweaking sandbags/bipeds, re-casing or in-casing guns, or other such “fiddling”?  ZFG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard of a few instances locally, where people have discharged rifles while casing / uncasing. I think you want to give the average gun owner the benefit of the doubt. With respect, I wouldn't do that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Speaking calmly to people tends to have a more harmonious outcome.

Once one is "yelling at" another person it tends to become an emotional event with dramatic results.

Who needs drama?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Common-line ones generally are.

There’s one around here I will occasionally use because they have good benches, but I’ll only go if there’s nobody else there at the time.
View Quote
That's good because nobody wants to be accidentally shot by you while you are playing fuck fuck with your weapon on a cold range. Give the short bus people your address so they can drive you there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Santa Rosa Shooting Centsr or Escambia River gun club?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#28]
The issue neeewd to be addressed. Maybe just take a deep breathe and be less of a jerk next time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sounds perfectly fine to me.
View Quote
This.
A) Sometimes you have to shock people into reality.

B) He'll remember your correction every time he goes to the range.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are way more reasons not to do things your way than there are to do them your way. Costs/benefits, etc.  100% of  people who do things they didn't mean to do didn't think it was going to happen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I know which range you are talking about, and I was at that same range from 0930-1030 with my son. Many people don't respect the red line when the range is cold. I have no issues with what you did, maybe the delivery could've been better.

But to be honest the RSO there is a jackass and I'm glad when he's not there. Guy threatened me for firing faster than one shot every two seconds. Not a "hey don't do that" but an actual "I have a gun and will use it if you do that again" threat. I hate that range but it's the only free range around here.
View Quote
I’d be tempted to let him know if he illegally employed a firearm against my person I’d legally employ one against his.

Some people are not well adjusted.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After the fact, your reaction may seem excessive.  During the moment, and the kid looking like he was about ready to cut loose I can find no fault in what you did.  I've been an RO and instructor for some time and completely understand.
View Quote
This is where I’m at.  If I saw what looked like someone about to fire on a cold range I’d probably get a little energetic too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A range day rant that turns into an HOA bash, unique.
View Quote
Concur
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#34]
cross the line mark it zero dude.

there are fucking rules.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Op, I think you did okay. You didnt know the bolt was removed, and honestly it doesn't matter. Simple rules on the firing line keep people alive.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Cool story OP..

I saw a guy once start shooting his handgun @ 25 yard range while my friend was down @ 200 yards checking and marking his target. My buddy dropped to the ground while I ran over to the dipshit shooting a pistol yelling at him to stop. Apparently that dude did not realize that range was cold and people were downrange.

That guy took off before my buddy made it back from down the range. Good thing too..
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm sure you can uncase a rifle 10 million times without ever negligently discharging it.

Then there's random jackass #569876 whose rifle is loaded in the case, and he's about to take it out with his finger on the trigger.

To the guy changing his target 100 yards downrange both of you look the same. The RSO 30 feet away in the bay might be able to detect the difference in time, but if he's a little distracted or there are more people doing the same stuff, again, you both look the same until a loud bang differentiates the jackass.

The idea of range safety is that everybody on the line can see a rule violation early and say "STOP" before a deadly mistake happens, not after. It's a lot easier to do this with "nobody handles weapons or approaches the firing line on a cold range" than some nuanced rules that require watching closely on an individual basis. And it doesn't really bother me to sometimes wait a couple minutes before I can adjust my sights.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:59:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm sure you can uncase a rifle 10 million times without ever negligently discharging it.

Then there's random jackass #569876 whose rifle is loaded in the case, and he's about to take it out with his finger on the trigger.

To the guy changing his target 100 yards downrange both of you look the same. The RSO 30 feet away in the bay might be able to detect the difference in time, but if he's a little distracted or there are more people doing the same stuff, again, you both look the same until a loud bang differentiates the jackass.

The idea of range safety is that everybody on the line can see a rule violation early and say "STOP" before a deadly mistake happens, not after. It's a lot easier to do this with "nobody handles weapons or approaches the firing line on a cold range" than some nuanced rules that require watching closely on an individual basis. And it doesn't really bother me to sometimes wait a couple minutes before I can adjust my sights.
View Quote
Thank you RSP. You said what I was trying to say, to a T.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Old guys are the fucking worst.
View Quote
One of the few groups that I actively hate and will cancel my shooting day if their at the range. Came to this conclusion after one started blasting away after we called a cease fire and I was down range. He had problems figuring out why everyone was yelling at him to stop. Then he noticed me running back with my rifle in my hands. Then he finally figured it out. Told him he needs to put his gun down and not touch it while I’m loading up my targets or there will be problems.

Other old fudds will walk right in back of me and start picking up my brass or trying to handle my rifles. It’s why I always wear a pistol now and usually service my targets with my rifle on my back

Seriously if your too senile to have basic situational awareness or basic safety don’t show up.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:15:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Teach them when they’re young!
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:20:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I told him to fuck off with a big smile on my face. Dude can skin his smoke wagon if he wants, I learned long ago the people that make threats don't follow through. My glock is ready if he did decide to however.
View Quote
Since he'd have to wait two seconds for his follow up shot you'd have had a great window to return fire.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:27:09 AM EDT
[#42]
RSO or not.

No gun range will allow anyone to be anywhere near a firearm or bench during a cease fire it doesn't matter if the firearm is broken down, broken or disassembled and rendered inoperable. People down range see someone behind a rifle in a rest they assume it is functional and they are on the receiving end.  Any other RSO is going to yell over a PA speaker or directly at the person.  I've seen and heard it so many times, a bunch of people including myself were down range and a dumbfuck got behind his rifle and fired one round off. That was the last time I went to firing range. Dumbasses are everywhere most of them congregate at ranges because stupid needs instructions on how to behave.  I've seen shooters who shoot one round and take off down range while everyone else is busy shooting, they wanted to check their target for that one shot.  That guy down to about 35 yards on a sprint before everyone stopped firing, holy shit talk about someone being asked to leave after he did it the 2nd time.

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. Safety is first nothing else matters.  Poor kids feelings do not matter, what if the firearm hadn't been rendered inoperable, what then?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:28:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A range day rant that turns into an HOA bash, unique.
View Quote
Agreed. I'm thinking the OP will be a lot more mellow if he moves away from the HOA. I think I'd be crazy if I had to deal with Mrs Kravitz all the time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:31:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Good yell. Learning to shoot at Ben Avery in 4H growing up, they would have chewed our asses out and probably sent us home for something like that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:33:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"Fuckin' Delta."
View Quote
BLACK HAWK DOWN "Fuck,in Delta"
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:48:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I was there when the boy scouts were on one 50 yard range...I was out in the bay of the next 50 yard range - with a Ruger Mark II - and the RSO came running over saying that I was shooting way to fast and I could not shoot in front of the benches...

He was ready to throw me out.  A lady Game Warden allowed me to stay....

Most of the time it is a great place to shoot w/ some great people.

Red
View Quote
Had a very similar experience with that guy.

He is a grade A douchbag.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you can’t adjust a cheekpiece or replace a scope cap without somehow loading and firing a round, I don’t want to share a firing line with you either.

Again... “no touching guns on a cold line” is a rule for people who come to the range on the short bus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I don't know about you but I've never seen an unattended firearm go off by itself. Oh wait, there was that one time when Plaxico Burress, up on the roof of that building.............If a firearm is not being touched in any way I don't see it being a threat. OP's response was ok by me. I too am an RSO, and would have acted in a similar fashion. Nitpicking and second guessing over the exact words used, or tone of voice is of no relevance, getting the massage across is all that matters.
Its too fucking late to be feeling sorry about whether or not I, or OP may have hurt someone's feelings, if you're now all standing around waiting for the EMTs because someone is laying on the ground with a bullet in them.

Not sure I want to share a firing line with you DeltaElite. And the easy part for you is, since you don't like common public ranges, is to go elsewhere. Problem solved.
If you can’t adjust a cheekpiece or replace a scope cap without somehow loading and firing a round, I don’t want to share a firing line with you either.

Again... “no touching guns on a cold line” is a rule for people who come to the range on the short bus.
No touching guns on a cold line is the rule at the club I belong to. We have a lot of nationally ranked rifle shooters, being that this is Camp Perry country. A few minutes is a short time to refrain from finger fucking your gun while others hurry to set targets. You wouldn't like the club. Too many safe, experienced shooters. Add our members to the long list of people you won't share a firing line with.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm glad I have my own personal range.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A few years back - had a young girl flag the that Shit out of me - when I called her it her POS father - did not think she did anything wrong....

Red
View Quote
Is this English?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I found your problem.  I do not visit those any more due to safety issues like this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok - the set up...

Public range w/ no RSO
I found your problem.  I do not visit those any more due to safety issues like this.
Yup the range in the ONF on FR88 is a death trap. Ive lost count the number of people shot by others just being dumb.
How that place gets packed is beyond me.
" let's drive an hour from orlando to shoot....because it's free "
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top