Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have thinking of moving the router and network switch into a closet. Will they over heat in a closed space like that?
View Quote
Nah.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ubiquity cameras?

Cloud key2+ ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're paying a lot for that Snap AV wire. Are you 100% retrofitting the house or is wiring already in place? Are you wiring for WAPs while you are pulling wire?
It's only money. You make some, you lose some. It is what it is.

100% retrofitting, BTW. There be cameras, APs, and all kinds of shit.
Ubiquity cameras?

Cloud key2+ ?
Si seor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Cat5e is actually better.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can any of this cat6 be used for spinning glorious vinyl?
View Quote
It'll help.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Should of ran Cat 6A.  That way you have a 10 GBE upgrade path.
View Quote
I haz that. The runs are short.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ran 6A in my house (new build prior to drywall). I didn't realize how big of a PITA it would be, especially to terminate. Happy I did it but you're not wrong. I wanted the ability to do high def video over Ethernet if I ever need to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I respect your forward thinking but 6 is good for 10gb to 37m - 55m.
6a is likely overkill.  It comes on fucking big wooden spools!  It is SO much more of an install.
I ran 6A in my house (new build prior to drywall). I didn't realize how big of a PITA it would be, especially to terminate. Happy I did it but you're not wrong. I wanted the ability to do high def video over Ethernet if I ever need to.
What did you say to me?
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I see no photos of you sweating balls in a crawlspace with a fishstick in one hand and a drill another.

Skeptical
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#8]
In line with the other guy who said go Cat 6a, get that 10G.  Do it right the first time....
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In line with the other guy who said go Cat 6a, get that 10G.  Do it right the first time....
View Quote
I feel like you guys don't know how distance works.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Why no Ortonics racks mounted to the foundation with uni-strut and all-thread?  You need about 40 more RU on that little thing!

Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I expected something closer to this:

Or, since you're a professional, at least this:

Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn't matter, speed is all that matters!!!!

Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Why didn't you use the patch panel that you installed??
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Waiting to find out "why wired?" v wifi
View Quote
Wired when you can...wireless if you must.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why didn't you use the patch panel that you installed??
View Quote
I'm not done yet. I just started, man.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Should've run fiber, bro.
DO YOU EVEN MULTIPLEX?

More seriously... why not just some kind of wireless with beefed up security protocol?
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Let's see some pictures of the tools you're using.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I need to do this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Currently doing the same. Good luck OP. Fortunately for me, each room it's going into already has phone lines so pulling wires is much easier.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Buncha Unifi gear. And some Cisco stuff.
View Quote
Not fitting a "buncha" anything in a rack that small

I am part way through cleaning up my network rack right now. I always seem to end up with used, non-standard racks though. First one was from an IBM mini and it was a pain to deal with. Second one I picked up cheap was short to make it easier to move around in the basement, it's from an HP 9000 Of course these system-specific racks have extra structural members to hold up a heavy minicomputer, so normal shit like sliding rails don't fit because it isn't completely open between the front and rear mounting points.

Anyway, I removed some stuff that wasn't being used anymore, moved some things around, and took a pic. In the middle of installing a few more items(cable management, and a UniFi cloud key) so not done yet, and eventually going to get rid of the super micro server and build something myself probably in a 4u case because I hate the noise of the small fans in a 1u server.

Compare the new Uniquiti stuff above to the old eBay Cisco gear setup(I think the 2821 fried a port, and I haven't bothered to troubleshoot it yet)...
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:39:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I really should finish the wiring in my place.

Problem is I don't have anything that outruns my wi-fi, so I haven't really had the need.  Good luck!
View Quote
wifi is crap. its not about speed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:47:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I am a MoCA peasant
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:47:47 AM EDT
[#23]
lol very similar to mine. although I just scored one of these from a job that was under construction. no idea where I can fit it. or what the hell I'm going to put in it but I have wanted a rack for a LONG time.

kinda like this but its heavier duty. 1.5" solid steel slab on the bottom for ballast lol.

Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I wish we had basements down here. I just can't justify putting a full rack in the house.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:17:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's my Unifi goodness. Ran Cat6 all over the home just this past December.

I love me some Cisco, but it's overkill for my home...however, I play with it for a living.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:24:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Sadly I don't think there's any good way to wire my place. House is on a slab and it's two stories, I don't think there's any way to drop the cable down the walls downstairs. Oh well, our PCs are in the room with the modem/router so they're hardwired, rest of the house uses wifi.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:26:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because even good wifi is trash?

I have a 42u Rack loaded with a couple servers and unifi gear.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sadly I don't think there's any good way to wire my place. House is on a slab and it's two stories, I don't think there's any way to drop the cable down the walls downstairs. Oh well, our PCs are in the room with the modem/router so they're hardwired, rest of the house uses wifi.
View Quote
There is, it just involves some drywall work.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 3:22:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Si seor.
View Quote
Ubiquiti has a guide somewhere on their forums for using a free AWS instance.

I use it for about a dozen devices across 3 sites. I manage to stay beneath the various consumption caps (to stay free) by a little margin every month.

I started out with a cloudkey but - didn’t want to deal with having multiple cloudkeys or configuring adoption over residential isp / dynamic. And running a cloudkey at each site means some of the neat stuff (like a two click site to site vpn which requires both sites be on the same UniFi server) isn’t available.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 3:23:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Collision detection vs collision avoidance.  It's a big deal.
On wifi each device is allotted a time it can transmit, more devices longer that time becomes.  
Think of it as token ring but more chaotic since no one knows who has the token.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Folks have covered this already but...

The thing is, no device is actually wireless. It’s gotta be powered. And if you’re going to have to pull wire, you might as well make it easy on yourself and pull cable. The device gets powered and a hardwired data connection, with all the advantages over wireless.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I had to pay $200 extra to get 9 jacks put in.  It was $25 per extra jack when starting a new fiber account.  I know it might sound like a lot but I had to do it for a few reasons.

1.  I don't fit in the attic.
2.  My house was built in the 60's and it is a tri-level, the previous contractor couldn't even update all the electrical with all the sheetrock removed unless you removed a wall or two.
3.  It took the guy 10 hours to run all of the cables and he had all the tools.

The only thing is I only got Cat5e..  It works for what I need but in the future if I build a house it will be wired before the sheetrock hits the walls.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#33]
How do you get the cable through the walls? Do you shrink?
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

On wifi each device is allotted a time it can transmit, more devices longer that time becomes.  
Think of it as token ring but more chaotic since no one knows who has the token.
View Quote
What if, for latency/speed critical devices, you dedicate a wireless router to each device that is plugged directly into the switch and modem? Make it discoverable my MAC address only or whatever and pie the single device to it. That way each wireless network has only ONE device?

Most people would only end up with less than half a dozen wireless routers and even that would be easier than pulling cable through a house.

Just spitballing here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What if, for latency/speed critical devices, you dedicate a wireless router to each device that is plugged directly into the switch and modem? Make it discoverable my MAC address only or whatever and pie the single device to it. That way each wireless network has only ONE device?

Most people would only end up with less than half a dozen wireless routers and even that would be easier than pulling cable through a house.

Just spitballing here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just spitballing here.
There’s a limited spectrum for Wi-Fi. I generally see 10+ routers inside my house from all my neighbors. Adding a bunch more is not a good idea.

Bottom line, you use wireless where you have no choice, and for people’s iPhones and iPads. Other than that, wire everything.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had to pay $200 extra to get 9 jacks put in.  It was $25 per extra jack when starting a new fiber account.  I know it might sound like a lot but I had to do it for a few reasons.

2.  My house was built in the 60's and it is a tri-level, the previous contractor couldn't even update all the electrical with all the sheetrock removed unless you removed a wall or two.

The only thing is I only got Cat5e..  It works for what I need but in the future if I build a house it will be wired before the sheetrock hits the walls.
View Quote
No, at $200/9 jacks/10 hours, the only one who got raped is your installer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#37]
This is the song of my people

Mine is a total mess right now. I had 24 runs done, i should have put more in since i want to put cameras in now.

Link Posted: 4/21/2019 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've ran cable in my house where there was existing phone drops. Easy stuff. I've got a couple spots I'm just too damn lazy to even try. I called up the ISP to see what they charged per drop. $200/ea.

Those places still use wifi.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit!
And that is what the ISP charged, bet the guy who did the work got far less then that. Hell, that many drops could cost over half that just in materials.

In case you ever wondered what a professional home automation guy's personal AV rack looks like, well.

Attachment Attached File

Lets just say my desire to spend money on this stuff and put effort into it has been ruined by doing it for a living for almost two decades.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
lol very similar to mine. although I just scored one of these from a job that was under construction. no idea where I can fit it. or what the hell I'm going to put in it but I have wanted a rack for a LONG time.

kinda like this but its heavier duty. 1.5" solid steel slab on the bottom for ballast lol.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-2ktyxsrgtc/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/22805/28606/383573-001__36998.1511984969.jpg?c=2
View Quote
One day, you will be happy to be rid of it.  I wanted one for a long time, had one for a long time, and was delighted when I got rid of it all and left work at work.  :)
I have a small lab built on a HTPC with ESXI on it now, but I hope you have a good time for a while with the rack.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Luckily, Sub has children - or " attic engineers " as they are known.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Crooked plate screws.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
One day, you will be happy to be rid of it.  I wanted one for a long time, had one for a long time, and was delighted when I got rid of it all and left work at work.  :)
I have a small lab built on a HTPC with ESXI on it now, but I hope you have a good time for a while with the rack.
View Quote
I have a small nas, a small NVR with a few poe camera's and a couple 8 port switches around the house. I would have to rewire most of the house to have a single large switch in the rack in the garage. Wife is already mad about it being here . I kinda want a cheap used 2u server but I dont know what I would do with it other than waste power and add noise.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There's a limited spectrum for Wi-Fi. I generally see 10+ routers inside my house from all my neighbors. Adding a bunch more is not a good idea.

Bottom line, you use wireless where you have no choice, and for people's iPhones and iPads. Other than that, wire everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just spitballing here.
There's a limited spectrum for Wi-Fi. I generally see 10+ routers inside my house from all my neighbors. Adding a bunch more is not a good idea.

Bottom line, you use wireless where you have no choice, and for people's iPhones and iPads. Other than that, wire everything.
Pretty much what all of these guys said.

If it sits still and has an Ethernet port, it gets wired. If it moves, or does not have an Ethernet port, then it uses wireless.

I'm a dork who takes things too far, so I even have a parallel 2.4g network just for IoT on a completely different network to keep my home network clean.

If you ever really want to have fun, use one of the "rogue SSID" killers built into some of the pro-grade gear on your neighbors networks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is the song of my people

Mine is a total mess right now. I had 24 runs done, i should have put more in since i want to put cameras in now.

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32716236917_b1702c9dd5_k.jpg
View Quote
That rackable server sitting on its side in a rack makes baby jeebus cry

And do you seriously power up a 7600 at home? In 2019? (Edit: Oh god, its a cat 4500! run away!)

I have a 1RU switch with more capacity than a 7613

I just scrapped a half a dozen 7609's for sheet metal value
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/JRXDedz.jpg

I love me some Cisco, but it's overkill for my home...however, I play with it for a living.
View Quote
That's beautiful! Essentially, that's the setup I wanted to build, with the addition of a 1U Synology NAS. I didn't really have a good place to mount the rack in this house though, so I just replaced the existing SMC with a larger one and went with a USG 3P, US-8-150W, and a UAP-AC-HD. I virtualized the controller on my Synology, which sits in another room.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: After seeing everyone else's setups I'm almost embarrassed to show mine. Almost.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's beautiful! Essentially, that's the setup I wanted to build, with the addition of a 1U Synology NAS. I didn't really have a good place to mount the rack in this house though, so I just replaced the existing SMC with a larger one and went with a USG 3P, US-8-150W, and a UAPACHD. I virtualized the controller on my Synology, which sits in another room.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/94506/20190413_122215small_jpg-920168.JPG

ETA: After seeing everyone else's setups I'm almost embarrassed to show mine. Almost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/JRXDedz.jpg

That's beautiful! Essentially, that's the setup I wanted to build, with the addition of a 1U Synology NAS. I didn't really have a good place to mount the rack in this house though, so I just replaced the existing SMC with a larger one and went with a USG 3P, US-8-150W, and a UAPACHD. I virtualized the controller on my Synology, which sits in another room.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/94506/20190413_122215small_jpg-920168.JPG

What enclosure is that?

I've been lamenting that there is nowhere in my closet-poor house to hide a decent rack, but I bet I could make that work if it will fit between the studs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What enclosure is that?

I've been lamenting that there is nowhere in my closet-poor house to hide a decent rack, but I bet I could make that work if it will fit between the studs.
View Quote
It's a 42" Leviton "Structured Media Enclosure"

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/47605-42w

It's the biggest one they make AFAIK, but it's still barely adequate

ETA: The patch panel in the upper left corner is also Leviton (https://www.leviton.com/en/products/476tm-624)
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#49]
My current house (built in 2007, we bought in 2017) came pre-wired with CAT5e. Unfortunately whoever installed it was a moran and didn't label anything, they didn't attempt to have any kind of organization, no patch panel, half the ends aren't terminated...

I've been here a little over 2 years and still haven't gotten the motivation to fix it yet. WiFi is working fine for us as of right now.

I have (3) Apple AirPort Extreme routers running, 1 as the main router and the other two as access points. They're all wired-in (I at least put in the effort to figure out which wires correspond to which rooms the APs are in) so there's no multiple wireless hops, at least. Works perfect for us. We can stream HD signals to multiple TVs at once without a hiccup.

If we had a more extensive backup solution I'd likely fix the wired setup. Maybe one day I'll get off my butt and do it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I remember your "how do I fix this cabinet door" thread. Good luck!

ETA: Looks good so far, who helping you?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top