User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
When I first saw a new Crosstrek in Wilderness trim, I immediately thought of it as a reincarnated AMC Eagle.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure you don't drive it through mud.

Go to 10:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOqgSvx5rjw
View Quote

A toxic stew of street tires and a soy boy.  Stuck every time.  Has nothing to do with the make and model.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Subaru is dangerously under powered. My aunt has a legacy which makes my 38 year old mini truck look fast. It's so slow I am nervous to get on to a highway with it. There is no way it makes it to highway speeds on an on ramp and no way it can accelerate out of trouble.
View Quote

LOL.

Get in my factory stock 2010 Forester XT (turbo).  You will retract that statement.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like.  Mainly for looks.  Would be a great mtn west road vehicle.
View Quote

I had a 201z Outback. Without a doubt the best mountain west vehicle I’ve ever had. I gifted it to my niece. She loves that damn thing.

Honestly at times I wish I had bought another one instead of my Ranger.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Friend has one with the automatic. Cool little car, not very fast though.

We rented a Forrester a few weeks ago for drive up to Tennessee. It was pretty nice. It was faster than my friends car. Lots of safety features. Decent little SUVs.

Side note, I've been wanting a WRX for a while.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve seen older Kia Sorentos lifted with a/t tires.

I have a Sorento, v6 awd, and lifting it has crossed my mind.

I’ve seen the lifted AWD Subarus and you don’t have to explain them to me; the traction:weight:affordability ratios speak for themselves. I just wish they had actual 4wd systems with hi/lo Xcases.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Had never in my 57 years considered a Subaru, but I really love my '23 Forester Wilderness. Just hit 15K on it. Perfect little rig for everything I like to do.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LOL.

Get in my factory stock 2010 Forester XT (turbo).  You will retract that statement.
View Quote

Also drive a TurboFoz. Power isn’t an issue.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ve seen older Kia Sorentos lifted with a/t tires.

I have a Sorento, v6 awd, and lifting it has crossed my mind.

I’ve seen the lifted AWD Subarus and you don’t have to explain them to me; the traction:weight:affordability ratios speak for themselves. I just wish they had actual 4wd systems with hi/lo Xcases.

View Quote

I almost bought an older Sorento last year to use as a beater based solely on the fact that it was a little SUV with a true (2-speed) 4x4 drivetrain and a solid rear axle. I passed because I wasn’t so sure about dropping the coin on a Kia.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I almost bought an older Sorento last year to use as a beater based solely on the fact that it was a little SUV with a true (2-speed) 4x4 drivetrain and a solid rear axle. I passed because I wasn’t so sure about dropping the coin on a Kia.
View Quote

I was skeptical when we bought ours. It’s been as reliable as a Swiss watch.

2012 v6 awd. Zero problems in 230(?)k miles.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru is dangerously under powered. My aunt has a legacy which makes my 38 year old mini truck look fast. It's so slow I am nervous to get on to a highway with it. There is no way it makes it to highway speeds on an on ramp and no way it can accelerate out of trouble.

LOL.

Yeah my Wilderness has the turbo too, it rocks.  Standard models do feel anemic, but once you learn them you can drive them better.  Paddle shifters for example, can add a lot but nobody ever uses them.  Or if you drive around in Eco mode, yeah no shit it's a dog.

I had a Forester with Sport mode for a bit and that had a lot of pep too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#13]
This is ultimately what I'd like to get to.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#14]
On my 4th Subaru, OP.  I had a ‘15 Crosstrek, it was a great car.  Wonderful for city driving.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#15]
People who associate an inanimate object like a car with sexuality are as fucking stupid and annoying as the ones who say you're compensating for a little dick because you're a gun owner.

Stop. It's retarded and you're embarrassing yourself.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah my Wilderness has the turbo too, it rocks.  Standard models do feel anemic, but once you learn them you can drive them better.  Paddle shifters for example, can add a lot but nobody ever uses them.  Or if you drive around in Eco mode, yeah no shit it's a dog.

View Quote

The only caveat I'd add on the subject of power here:

I, living in the east, tend to downplay the importance of power. But now that I've been out west a few times and experienced a typical street vehicle gradually losing power as we went from <1000' to >11000' in elevation, I have came to grasp that you need power, in spades, at eastern elevations, in order to do well 'in the mountains'. There's no way around it, power is a byproduct of combustion and combustion requires oxygen and there's less of it at higher elevations, so you better have more power than you think you need. The rule of 3% loss per 1000' is real, not just theoretical. So at sea level you really need 50% more power than you think you 'need', if you want to be properly equipped for the west.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#17]
It’s all good until the pickle surprise.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I was always bummed they never put the 2.5l and 6 speed in the crosstrek. That thing would be the tits. I've got that in my '17 Forrester and the lighter weight/size of the crosstrek would be a hoot. One of my friends has the sport with the 2.5l/cvt and he is pretty happy with it though in colorado.

I just wish they'd put a wrx drivetrain, even a detuned one in the crosstrek. That thing would sell like gangbusters. Also pissed they don't put the turbo engine in the Forester wilderness either. I prefer the bigger greenhouse and shorter wheelbase of the Forrester to the Outback.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#19]
If I won the lottery I would throw the WRX engine and transmission into the Crosstrek and tune it to make a modern 2004-2008 Forester XT and I would love it

However even as is I love my 23 Manual crosstrek
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#20]
They still have retardo traction control, make sure you can "turn it off" and it actually can be turned off. Now a days mfg's have you turn it off only to have it actually tone down the TC a little, not much help.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a 2018 one.
when it comes time to replace the suspension, I'm lifting it.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They still have retardo traction control, make sure you can "turn it off" and it actually can be turned off. Now a days mfg's have you turn it off only to have it actually tone down the TC a little, not much help.
View Quote

I always thought it was interesting that on my AWD/4WD 3rd gen Rav4, there is no button to turn TC off. But there is a weird little thing you can do with the brake/handbrake to manually turn it off.

With handbrake on, pump brake pedal twice (then release handbrake)
Hold down brake pedal, pump handbrake twice (then release brake pedal)
With handbrake on, pump brake pedal twice (then release handbrake)

But no button. My wife has the FWD version, same generation, it has a button....

Wonder how many other manufacturers have a feature like this where there is no obvious way to turn TC off.

I would get a cross trek in Manual if it had more power. I have a hard time getting rid of my rav4 v6, because finding another naturally aspirated small SUV with a locking differential and 270HP is tricky (no I don't want a jeep)
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#23]

I'd go with a Porsche.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I, living in the east, tend to downplay the importance of power. But now that I've been out west a few times and experienced a typical street vehicle gradually losing power as we went from <1000' to >11000' in elevation, I have came to grasp that you need power, in spades, at eastern elevations, in order to do well 'in the mountains'. There's no way around it, power is a byproduct of combustion and combustion requires oxygen and there's less of it at higher elevations, so you better have more power than you think you need. The rule of 3% loss per 1000' is real, not just theoretical. So at sea level you really need 50% more power than you think you 'need', if you want to be properly equipped for the west.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found it weird that when I got out west the gas was lower octane, which seems to me like it would compound that problem.  Maybe I'm wrong?  This was in New Mexico, and admittedly it was 20 years ago.  I just bought higher octane but seeing 85 or 86 was weird there...
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If I won the lottery I would throw the WRX engine and transmission into the Crosstrek and tune it to make a modern 2004-2008 Forester XT and I would love it

However even as is I love my 23 Manual crosstrek
View Quote
Yes, would love to do that if money was no object.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got a 2021 Crosstrek Limited and I like it. Gets close to 30mpg of mostly in town and state highway miles. Not sure I'd want to road trip in it for any long distance, but it's great for my needs when I'm home.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Looking at new vehicles and test drove the Sport model which "upgrades" to more torque and horsepower.
Really wanted to like it and buy one. I was unimpressed with the power, the interior and that Eyesight nanny thing.
Could be that my old 2016 WRX spoiled me on power, but the Sport just felt like a dog. Was never overly impressed with the WRX's interior much either. Fun to drive though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
People who associate an inanimate object like a car with sexuality are as fucking stupid and annoying as the ones who say you're compensating for a little dick because you're a gun owner.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Those little Subarus with lift kits look like they would be fun.
View Quote

They do look fun, but I have an F150.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I want the Forester "wilderness" model.  It has a better clearance, lower gearing, and other offroad goodies.  My current Forester is a fine vehicle.  The wilderness would be even better.
View Quote

I have a Forester XT. Since they no longer do the 250HP turbo on Foresters, I'd definitely consider the Wilderness.

The Outback Wilderness with decent tires looks pretty slick, too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#31]

https://www.thedrive.com/car-reviews/2024-subaru-crosstrek-wilderness-first-drive-review-first-drive-review-specs-price-options-impressions

I spotted a Crosstrek Wilderness on the highway the other day. Besides the Wilderness trim, it had a roof rack added and the whole thing had a nice off-road vibe. I liked it. Given the much bigger size/capacity of the Outback for about the same gas mileage, I'd rather have the bigger wagon. I did have an Outback, and it was an excellent car. I'd definitely get another, and the Wilderness package is cool.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Criminally underpowered especially at altitude.  Slow doesn't even begin to describe what happens to those in the mountains.

Also they are full of nanny systems that will cut power when you need it the most.  

Not like the good old Subies that let you just fucking send it until they broke.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#33]
The girls do a comparison of Crosstrek to the Seltos. They're KIA employees but seem to do a fair job on each. Plus they're pretty good looking also.

The Subaru Crosstrek VS Kia Seltos: Two 2024 Models Compared!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#34]
no turbo no care
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I only know a couple of lesbians.

They drive STIs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

LOL.

View Quote

Nope, probably not.

My 2003 Audi has more than once put a newer WRX than your car to shame and is NA with a tune and SMF. It's not a fast car. It's a big, heavy, smooth German.

Your Forester still makes less power than a 21 year old station wagon and but you do have me on weight by nearly 600lbs.

You only make a few more HP than my 38 year old mini truck with a NA V6. There is a chance my old pickup can hang with you, especially if you have the automatic. My pickup is slow and struggles for traction.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you drive a Lesbaru?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Only your vagina knows for sure.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Criminally underpowered especially at altitude.  Slow doesn't even begin to describe what happens to those in the mountains.

Also they are full of nanny systems that will cut power when you need it the most.  

Not like the good old Subies that let you just fucking send it until they broke.
View Quote

True story there. I thought my old pickup was bad at elevation until I drove a subaru.

The nanny stuff will get you killed. The 2021 (?) legacy in the family flashes and beeps all over the place all the time while you try to drive. It won't hit the brakes for animals or tumble weeds but will hit the brakes for the center barrier on the highway at random times. I hate it and it's a horrible driving experience.

Going along the gorge at the north end of the state we had a head wind on a 70MPH highway. It sat at dammed near WOT to maintain 65MPH with cruise at 70. Same road in worse wind I've held 70 just fine in the old mini truck (4wd on over sized tires with a load in the bed so nose high) but at the expense of around 12MPG.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#41]
If you have to ask, you're not secure enough in your masculinity to drive one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a 19 MT, and I do like it except the engine…it is a dog. No passing power at all. Still, 31ish MPG is pretty hard to argue with, and I agree that a lift would be sweet. If I had to do it over, I’d probably get the Forester, but I’m still happy with the Crosstrek.
View Quote

You'd probably prefer what you have in nasty snow conditions. I have a Forester and its quite capable with Nokian tires, but I had a 2006 Impreza Outback Sport (2"higher than base model) and it was the single most fun and capable snow beast I've ever driven. Part of that I attribute to being lower roofline/center of gravity, footprint, and weight distribution. My current Forester seems to have weight in wrong places and is much more likely to kick out the rear unpredictably than the Impreza.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Do you drive a Lesbaru?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you drive a Lesbaru?

Do you have a gun to compensate for your small penis? See how stupid and childish that sounds?  

We have 4 subarus. Capable vehicles. No, they won't win any drag races. They are cheap, reliable, capable vehicles.

Subaru destroys 'real 4wds' in mud pit
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Only if you lift it enough to put 35 inch tires underneath it

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you drive a Lesbaru?
View Quote

My honor student/varsity athlete son has his shit wired tight and is living his best life.  He drives an Outback Wilderness.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Don’t

If it has a CVT.

Consider this. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've been on a couple trail rides with lifted Crosstreks. The lack of ground clearance, 4wd low, and suspension travel did not make me a fan of them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Subi_JPG-3185550.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Subaru1_jpg-3185551.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Subaru2_jpg-3185552.JPG

This gent was smart and removed his front bumper. He burned out his clutch on a 4 hour trail ride.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Subaru_JPG-3185554.JPG

If you are looking to go off road, get a Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma, or a Jeep.

View Quote

That’s not a 4x4 trail, that’s my North Dakota county road.

The couple of lesbians I know, one drives a Chevy Silverado and the other a Dodge Ram. Both think Subaru is to cliche. I asked them
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
2022 Outback Onyx XT has plenty of power and a turbo.

A Crosstrek Wilderness edition with the same engine would be a blast.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was always bummed they never put the 2.5l and 6 speed in the crosstrek. That thing would be the tits. I've got that in my '17 Forrester and the lighter weight/size of the crosstrek would be a hoot. One of my friends has the sport with the 2.5l/cvt and he is pretty happy with it though in colorado.

I just wish they'd put a wrx drivetrain, even a detuned one in the crosstrek. That thing would sell like gangbusters. Also pissed they don't put the turbo engine in the Forester wilderness either. I prefer the bigger greenhouse and shorter wheelbase of the Forrester to the Outback.
View Quote
Yes a crosstrek with a 6mt and 2.4turbo would be a blast. Don't want that WRX exhaust noise or premium gas for the tiny bit of power you get over regular.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I found it weird that when I got out west the gas was lower octane, which seems to me like it would compound that problem.  Maybe I'm wrong?  This was in New Mexico, and admittedly it was 20 years ago.  I just bought higher octane but seeing 85 or 86 was weird there...
View Quote
High elevation means octane is less necessary.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top