Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Either defend or defund the tents. Can't have it both ways for chrissake!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Karelian Bear Dogs is my solution.  Along with assorted firearms.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Black bears usually aren't dangerous.  Grizzly's can be.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
So OP is not auditioning to join the next season of "Alone"?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black bears usually aren't dangerous.  Grizzly's can be.

View Quote

If I HAD to be mauled by a bear, I would choose a Griz over a Black Bear.

Griz will maul you, and once you are dead, usually leave you to soften up a bit in the heat.

Black Bears like their meat fresh.  Once you are dead, or feigning death, the eating begins.

Rage attacks?  Black Bear over Grizzly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We should encourage democrats to spend more time in bear county, maybe give them extra food so they can stay out there longer.
View Quote

Fuck that.  The woods are full of them now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://sports.yahoo.com/two-campers-asleep-tent-injured-015935893.html

Who goes on a remote kayak trip in Alaska without a gun???!!!!

After getting attacked while sleeping in a tent, they had to pack up and kayak for 2 hours just to get to other campers, who still could only call for help with a satellite phone.  All they had was bear "deterrents".
View Quote
We kept our food in the tents in bear country. There were no trees to hang it from.

For about 5-6days straight we had brown bears push against our tent at night.
Rifles were always loaded and kept beside us.

Bears are always around fish-camps.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Black bears aren't dangerous.  Grizzly's can be.
View Quote

People have made that mistake, and payed the price..A far better idea is every bear can be dangerous until they arn't a danger to you...
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those Bears are more afraid of you than you are of them.  
View Quote
Until they're not.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have spent hundreds of nights in a tent in the Alaska mountains.  Many of them alone.  I usually keep my 44 in my chest holster and my 458 at my side.  

Have woken up to bears and moose outside many times.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]
What happens on a remote kayak trip in Alaska has little bearing on my camping trips in Michigan.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

People have made that mistake, and payed the price..A far better idea is every bear can be dangerous until they arn't a danger to you...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black bears aren't dangerous.  Grizzly's can be.

Any animal that's larger than you is potentially dangerous.  But you usually have to do something stupid to get in trouble with them.  I've had black bears brush up against the side of my tent, and come within a few feet of me many times.

Black bears are generally docile unless you mess with their cubs.  Just don't do that, and they won't bother you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Basically where the bears aren't exposed to human behavior they are more dangerous/predataory. As long as you follow simple
guidelines and adhere to them you shouldn't have a problem. Not a good idea to take someone camping that's leaving a
blood trail
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#14]

That particular Larson doodle hung over my desk for ten years. Used it to gage people. If they laughed, i knew I'd like them.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Every time I've encountered a black bear in the woods, it was basically a crashing sound followed by the blur of the ass end of it running away from me as fast as it could.  I understand that grizzlies are different and hope to never encounter one.
View Quote

Male black bears have killed more people than grizzlies, if I'm not mistaken, and they are in predator mode at night.

Underestimate them at your peril.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Guy I just bought House from has 3 . Awesome dogs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Your car is not safe. You should see what the bears in Yosemite will do to a car when you leave a cooler in it over night in a parking lot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/407062/download__11_-1978535.jpg
View Quote
I was camping in a tent at a FS camp ground outside of Ouray. It rained pretty heavy all night but I swore I heard something circle my tent, kind of digging around. The next morning there were giant paw prints and smears on my car.

Guessing I'm better off sleeping in the tent than with the food, even if the food is locked in a car.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#18]
People shit talk rooftop tents here, but I’m thinking I want my muzzle of my AR15 in the bears mouth versus having to shoot off of my back at the bear already eating me.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#19]
This is unpossible.

bears are afraid of humans.

bears run from humans

bears are more afraid of you than you are of them.

it's the humans fault for encroaching on the bears home.

Bears suck.

All of them.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Thankfully I'm a man so I don't worry about such trivial problems.

Bear spray first always. It's the most efficient defense in a bear attack. If not 10mm, all of them. If both of those fail you probably shouldn't be in the gene pool anyway. If it's really weird and I happen to be in a tent 12g slugs will follow if needed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#21]
GD snark aside, paddling a kayak for 2 hours to get medical help post-bear attack, in the dead of night no less, takes resolve. Fuckin A.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you have current bear tags you can cook huge meals in camp and never see one.
View Quote

This is so true.  Up to and including eating sardines even. Nada.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
From the article :
"The big thing is being prepared as well as these folks were. You could get attacked in the Fred Meyer parking lot  you're always in bear country here," Selinger told ADN. "Always have some medical equipment, maybe compression bandages and things you may not think of. And whenever you're going out, just be prepared in case something does happen  have a plan of how to get back to safety or how to contact somebody."

I'd love to know how you pack stuff that you didn't think of.
View Quote

Yeah, that’s about as helpful as telling someone not to forget something.

“Oh, the secret to remembering is to not forget? Thanks, Captain Obvious.”
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I know an old wilderness outfitter who used tripwire alarms (basically a cylinder with a blank cartridge, spring loaded firing pin that's triggered by a wire or fishing line etc.).

Said it actually worked well on bears a few times, but it spooked his horses.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Any animal that's larger than you is potentially dangerous.  But you usually have to do something stupid to get in trouble with them.  I've had black bears brush up against the side of my tent, and come within a few feet of me many times.

Black bears are generally docile unless you mess with their cubs.  Just don't do that, and they won't bother you.
View Quote

Food odors are a trigger.  Especially for bears which have learned to enjoy the savory treats of the human world.

The bear who brushes up your tent out of curiosity one night  might be the same one who tears into all your gear the next night, when he gets a whiff of that porterhouse with garlic and onions :)
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#26]

HEY! WAKE UP! COOK ME SOME BACON!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I have slept in a tent in black bear country a few times. Once for about a week and a half in Ontario. I was fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That particular Larson doodle hung over my desk for ten years. Used it to gage people. If they laughed, i knew I'd like them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have slept in a tent in black bear country a few times. Once for about a week and a half in Ontario. I was fine.
View Quote

Hmm ... let's poll people who did and were attacked. Survivor bias and all
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Bear buffet, sometimes known as fast food if the conditions are right.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Those Bears are more afraid of you than you are of them.  
View Quote

In the wild, everything that can walk, slither or crawl is just meat to eat.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The bear probably thought they were a burrito.
View Quote

the bear was just unhappy that it had to unwrap its meal.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I am way more terrified of dying in a puddle of urine in my bed that being killed by a bear in a tent.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#34]
440g hardcast in .500S&W minimum for bear deterrent.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Tent camped at the foot of Mantanuska glacier in Alaska one summer. Had a S&W mountain gun under my pillow. Had a horse sneak up on me in the middle of the “night”.  Scared me at first until
I heard it breathing outside.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
440g hardcast in .500S&W minimum for bear deterrent.
View Quote

Now hand it to your wife in the middle of the night and lets see her get every shot in the 10 ring on a 2" bullseye at 2 yards.... There is a big reason so many people have moved away from the hand cannons, especially people who actually need a firearm for bear protection...
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I must be overly paranoid as I wilderness camp in only black bear county yet I don’t even keep sunscreen, toothpaste and dish soap in camp.  That gets hung up in the food barrel away from camp.  

…and I keep a tactical shotgun loaded with 3 rounds of 00 buck and 2 slugs (and a reload).  I don’t bother with handguns.  If something out there needs killing it’s worth over-killing.  

More worried about 2 legged predators of the backcountry hillbilly variety.  I don’t think I have a purty mouth and my pig squeals aren’t that good.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Now hand it to your wife in the middle of the night and lets see her get every shot in the 10 ring on a 2" bullseye at 2 yards.... There is a big reason so many people have moved away from the hand cannons, especially people who actually need a firearm for bear protection...
View Quote

That was just my minimum recommendation i didn't cover ideal.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#39]

What kind of movie was that??? LOL. That was cool.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Everybody all, "it was a good death" in Legends of the Fall......

Fuck that.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#41]
The best way to protect your camp from bear is as everyone is drifting off to sleep sit up as fast as you can and yell "what the hell is that!?) After this you can sleep peacefully knowing everyone else in camp will be wide awake and prepared for anything.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What kind of movie was that??? LOL. That was cool.
View Quote

Backcountry it's on youtube.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Bears like burritos too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep, first thing that popped into mind.  Fuck all that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Came here to post this.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#47]
What could the pawsably be thinking?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#48]
My wife will only sleep in a tent if the weather is 70F or below, no rain, no mosquitos, easy access to toilet facilities and we are fully protected from marauding wildlife.

So given we're in Texas, and Florida before that, the only place I can set up is within my own house. Still pack a G20 and AR in my bag though, for authenticity.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Your car is not safe. You should see what the bears in Yosemite locals in East St. Louis will do to a car when you leave a cooler in it over night in a parking lot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a close encounter with a bear on a camping trip a long time ago.  After seeing the bear walking through my camp site, I slept in the car that night.

Your car is not safe. You should see what the bears in Yosemite locals in East St. Louis will do to a car when you leave a cooler in it over night in a parking lot.

You're not 100% safe anywhere. I'd rather take my chances with the bears...
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Came here to post this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Came here to post this.

Not sure why he backed into the tent and zipped them in. The bear can easily rip in, but they can't rip out, there is no other exit, it doesn't obfuscate their odor (infact the tent would be a gigantic human odor source), his only weapon was outside, etc. Surely better to be ready to move, then get out and take off at the first sign of the bear, and leave it to stomp on the empty tent.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top