BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate to tell you this. The AK is not that great of a gun,  yes consripts bang out parts  but those parts are shit,  just like every other poor workaround

Lastly if you think we couldnt produce a quality ak them you dont have a clue.

We have the best manf capes in the world.  We just couldnt make it as cheap as they being imported

Kinda like the 1911a and mp5s now.

We can build them, but since no one will make money on them, they dont get produced.

We are not communist
View Quote

Not sure if serious.....or.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
AK-46 looked to have greater external similarity to the STG-44. Still has a rotating bolt over the tilting.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I hate to tell you this. The AK is not that great of a gun,  yes consripts bang out parts  but those parts are shit,  just like every other poor workaround

We have the best manf capes in the world.  We just couldnt make it as cheap as they being imported

We can build them, but since no one will make money on them, they dont get produced.

We are not communist
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind, it wasn't until like what, 2015? that all of America's combined firearm making expertise managed to finally mass-produce an AK that's worth a shit.
A gun that's simpler to manufacture than an STG44 and has alot more market demand for a US made clone.

We are not communist

Here is something to think about, we couldn’t make a AK and make it reliable like the Russians, Chinese, and every other combloc third world country. Now your thinking bullshit, those very superior manufacturing capabilities will kill our built AK. Allot of the AK’s legendary but not entirely deserved reliabilty is from loose tolerances if we tightened up those tolerances we’d now have a very unreliable AK, needing constant cleaning and oiled.

The AK was designed to be built on shitty equipment run by uneducated operators, to be used by barely educated conscripts using only the basic supplies of diesel and motor oil. Now tell me what happens when you tighten up the tolerances?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
select fire box magazine intermediate cartridge was "invented" just after ww1.
STG44 was first successful mass production of that concept, kalshnikov followed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The AK receiver was milled, so there's that.
View Quote

They tried stamped but couldnt figure out out till much later.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think it’s a stretch to suggest Russia would copy any German designs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_7913_jpeg-3097545.JPG
View Quote

Do I have a story to tell you about the zundaps
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Germans were the original masters of stampings.

The Soviets couldn't even perfect stamping an AK receiver until the 50s.
View Quote

Yeah, until they raped, pillaged and rummaged through all of the stolen industrial machines and like monkeys tapping on keys for a million years, they figured it out.
ohhhhhh.. yeah...you have to control the quality of the metal, you might have to do proper heat treatment also.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Didn't the first AK that was deployed have a milled receiver?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am, by far, no gun engineering expert. I do understand that there has been a lot of idea borrowing since guns were first made. My point is Kalashnikov saw STGs employed during his WW2 service. I'm of the mind he said: "His Holiness, Comrade Stalin, will love me if i build the Motherland a cheap, stamped rifle with a weight saving benefit on ammo."

It's what the Kraut engineers did for old Adolph's OK.

Didn't the first AK that was deployed have a milled receiver?

I believe the original plan was to stamp it, but they couldn't get the tooling setup properly or economically at first so they went with milled for a time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Here is something to think about, we couldn't make a AK and make it reliable like the Russians, Chinese, and every other combloc third world country. Now your thinking bullshit, those very superior manufacturing capabilities will kill our built AK. Allot of the AK's legendary but not entirely deserved reliabilty is from loose tolerances if we tightened up those tolerances we'd now have a very unreliable AK, needing constant cleaning and oiled.

The AK was designed to be built on shitty equipment run by uneducated operators, to be used by barely educated conscripts using only the basic supplies of diesel and motor oil. Now tell me what happens when you tighten up the tolerances?
View Quote
The Russians recently fucked up the AK-12, the revised ergonomics AK-74 Kalashnikov (Izhmash) "Ratnik" program rifle.  There were reports they were unreliable even before the war, in Ukraine last year both sides were ditching them pronto for battlefield pick ups.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Garand is closer to the RSC1917.

Enjoy!
View Quote

You're not wrong.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Trigger group and bolt and carrier was modeled after the Garand. The Garand trigger group was modeled from some French ww1 semi auto rifle I can’t think of right now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, until they raped, pillaged and rummaged through all of the stolen industrial machines and like monkeys tapping on keys for a million years, they figured it out.
ohhhhhh.. yeah...you have to control the quality of the metal, you might have to do proper heat treatment also.

View Quote

They stole a whole motorcycle factory.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Trigger group and bolt and carrier was modeled after the Garand. The Garand trigger group was modeled from some French ww1 semi auto rifle I can't think of right now.
View Quote
RSC 1917: France's WW1 Semiauto Rifle

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"Nyet, nyet...my design was totally deeferent!"

What have you to say on the matter?
View Quote

Could it be said he improved on the design?
Roy
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Definetly the STG44 inspired the AK47 layout.
Internally it's a different story.
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Here is something to think about, we couldn’t make a AK and make it reliable like the Russians, Chinese, and every other combloc third world country. Now your thinking bullshit, those very superior manufacturing capabilities will kill our built AK. Allot of the AK’s legendary but not entirely deserved reliabilty is from loose tolerances if we tightened up those tolerances we’d now have a very unreliable AK, needing constant cleaning and oiled.

View Quote

Another person confused about the difference between tolerance and clearance.

We could have made an AK that is far superior to the soviets at any point since it's design.  The reason it wasn't done was cost.

Steel stamping was (and still is to a degree) an incredibly expensive process to setup.  The tooling is very expensive.  The only thing that makes it cheap to produce things that way is volume.  The Soviets knew before they built the factories that they would be producing millions upon millions of rifles for at least a decade.

With enough production volume even the most outrageous initial tooling costs become insignificant.  The Soviets had a guaranteed customer (the military).  American firearms companies had no reason to risk investing millions of dollars to make a rifle that will still cost more than the Soviet imports whose tooling costs were already absorbed by their MIC.

ETA:  The American companies did the smart thing and designed rifles that could be made with much cheaper machinery, albeit at a higher per-unit production cost.  

Think of it like 3d printing vs injection molding.  Even an industrial grade 3d printer is much cheaper than injection molding if you're making a small number of units.  With enough production volume, however, the speed and repeatability of injection molding quickly overshadows the initial setup costs.  Hence why prototypes are more likely to be 3d printed while mass market plastic products are virtually always injection molded.

ETA2:  Notice that a viable American AK didn't show up until the import AKs started increasing in price dramatically.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's a PPS43. Hardly well before.

Look at the similarities between the PPSh-41 and the Suomi M31. Even the drum is basically identical.

The AK was originally milled, not stamped.

Lots of designs have lots of influences from other designs. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some MP44 influence.
View Quote
It was designed in the middle of 1942. The soviets wouldn't have encountered the MP44 until maybe 1943. My point was the Russians had stamped designs with hinged lowers before the MP44 was a thing. It was possible for Russia to have organic designs on something instead of 100% copying everything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Was there a prior stamped, piston rifle like the Sturmgewhr?

I saw an interview with the old boy years ago and he got rather testy when this was mentioned.

"Nyet, nyet...my design was totally deeferent!"

In my eye, the only real difference is the recoil spring placement.

I think he did rip off the overall configuration for Mother Russia. It was a smart move, but not original.

What have you to say on the matter?
View Quote

Not really.  The locking system of the STG 44 is almost the same design as the FN FAL.  No rotating bolt design.  The fire control system is completely different.  The gun has a piston so I guess to the layman, that would be the same as an AK.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Russians recently fucked up the AK-12, the revised ergonomics AK-74 Kalashnikov (Izhmash) "Ratnik" program rifle.  There were reports they were unreliable even before the war, in Ukraine last year both sides were ditching them pronto for battlefield pick ups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is something to think about, we couldn't make a AK and make it reliable like the Russians, Chinese, and every other combloc third world country. Now your thinking bullshit, those very superior manufacturing capabilities will kill our built AK. Allot of the AK's legendary but not entirely deserved reliabilty is from loose tolerances if we tightened up those tolerances we'd now have a very unreliable AK, needing constant cleaning and oiled.

Wonder how they fucked up the AK to make it unreliable?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Just like we ripped off Von Braun and his crew.  They went from making German V2s to Jupiter and later Saturn rockets for the U.S.

The Germans had a lot of good stuff to steal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can’t believe that there are people here, claiming that the first AK-47s were milled. No, they were not. The first AK-47s were stamped. And those were not  prototypes. They were accepted and issued for general use. They switched to the milled receiver after experiencing failures with the original stamped version, and then switched back to a stamped receiver when the AKM was adopted.
View Quote

I feel like I’ve traveled back in time to 2007 and people are just regurgitating dumb shit from the history channel or wherever.

Pretty soon we’re going to hear about how all the GIs in Vietnam threw down their M16s made by Mattel to pick up AKs. The M16 is designed to wound. The AK can shoot our ammo but the M16 couldn’t shoot their ammo.

We’ve already learned we’re incapable of making an AK because our manufacturing technology is too good and by building a gun shitty it is better. We’ve had half the forum come out of the woodwork to tell us that “akshually” the AK was milled. We’ve had the tolerances confused with clearances confusion.

For a gun forum… there isn’t much knowledge of guns being displayed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I feel like I’ve traveled back in time to 2007 and people are just regurgitating dumb shit from the history channel or wherever.

Pretty soon we’re going to hear about how all the GIs in Vietnam threw down their M16s made by Mattel to pick up AKs. The M16 is designed to wound. The AK can shoot our ammo but the M16 couldn’t shoot their ammo.

We’ve already learned we’re incapable of making an AK because our manufacturing technology is too good and by building a gun shitty it is better. We’ve had half the forum come out of the woodwork to tell us that “akshually” the AK was milled. We’ve had the tolerances confused with clearances confusion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can’t believe that there are people here, claiming that the first AK-47s were milled. No, they were not. The first AK-47s were stamped. And those were not  prototypes. They were accepted and issued for general use. They switched to the milled receiver after experiencing failures with the original stamped version, and then switched back to a stamped receiver when the AKM was adopted.

I’ll, admit I did use tolerances instead of clearances as I was in a hurry. I will though clarify that both tolerances and clearances come into play with Russian equipment. The allowable tolerances are much greater with east block manufacturing equipment due in part to the inability of the equipment to maintain tight tolerance as well as operators who don’t care. We must also think about how long this equipment is run before adjustment (if possible) or replacement. We also need to question the quality of the equipment used to manufacture AK’s. This is obvious when disassembling AK’s how some are looser or tighter then others, you can also swap parts around and see, hear and feel parts looser or tighter.

These are issues you don’t regularly see on quality USA made parts. When you do see it it’s promptly replaced by a company that stands behind its products. This manufacturing technique was pretty prevalent in the USA as matter of fact, when I did my first classic muscle car the rear end was off to one side a 1/2”. I started doing research and it was acceptable up to 1/2” on the rear end spring mounts. I have found mounts off of up 9/16! My point is back in the day even the USA wasn’t so worried about tolerance's as long as it worked, today in the day of educated operators and CNC equipment tolerances are in the 1000ths or less. Does anyone think Russia has improved their manufacturing techniques or manufacturing process?

So yes both tolerance and clearance come into play when discussing AK’s and manufacturing. I still stand by the fact the USA can’t build a reliable AK using our standards for tolerances and clearances.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’ll, admit I did use tolerances instead of clearances as I was in a hurry. I will though clarify that both tolerances and clearances come into play with Russian equipment. The allowable tolerances are much greater with east block manufacturing equipment due in part to the inability of the equipment to maintain tight tolerance as well as operators who don’t care. We must also think about how long this equipment is run before adjustment (if possible) or replacement. We also need to question the quality of the equipment used to manufacture AK’s. This is obvious when disassembling AK’s how some are looser or tighter then others, you can also swap parts around and see, hear and feel parts looser or tighter.

These are issues you don’t regularly see on quality USA made parts. When you do see it it’s promptly replaced by a company that stands behind its products. This manufacturing technique was pretty prevalent in the USA as matter of fact, when I did my first classic muscle car the rear end was off to one side a 1/2”. I started doing research and it was acceptable up to 1/2” on the rear end spring mounts. I have found mounts off of up 9/16! My point is back in the day even the USA wasn’t so worried about tolerance's as long as it worked, today in the day of educated operators and CNC equipment tolerances are in the 1000ths or less. Does anyone think Russia has improved their manufacturing techniques or manufacturing process?

So yes both tolerance and clearance come into play when discussing AK’s and manufacturing. I still stand by the fact the USA can’t build a reliable AK using our standards for tolerances and clearances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having poor tolerances is never going to be a benefit.

If it is designed with loose clearances, then you can open up your tolerances and have a functional end result within reason. Having better tolerance just means you don’t get that “some mixes of parts are loose while some are tight” issue when building the same product. They designed something that could work with the manufacturing base they had available to them.

We designed something that could work with the manufacturing base available to us, which made CNC machining of aluminum alloy forgings practical for us to do, which for the Soviets would have been… impractical.

The idea that we can’t do stampings, roughly machined forgings, etc. because of tolerances is just not true. We did build stamped guns of similar manufacturing quality as the Kalashnikov.

Part of it is the design of the Kalashnikov is geared towards mass production in a state-funded facility where enormous front end costs are okay. It’s not that we can’t make that tooling, it just isn’t cost effective for us to make that tooling to sell rifles commercially when other countries are already set up for it with equipment that is already bought and paid for decades ago.

So we mimicked it with cheaper options. That means instead of forgings you end up with investment casting or die casting of parts, when they weren’t intended to be built that way. You get small companies trying to do what was done by huge state arsenals.

To suggest we can’t do it… of course we can. Why would we if there is no profit motive?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:36:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If it is designed with loose clearances, then you can open up your tolerances and have a functional end result within reason. Having better tolerance just means you don’t get that “some mixes of parts are loose while some are tight” issue when building the same product. They designed something that could work with the manufacturing base they had available to them.

We designed something that could work with the manufacturing base available to us, which made CNC machining of aluminum alloy forgings practical for us to do, which for the Soviets would have been… impractical.

The idea that we can’t do stampings, roughly machined forgings, etc. because of tolerances is just not true. We did build stamped guns of similar manufacturing quality as the Kalashnikov.

Part of it is the design of the Kalashnikov is geared towards mass production in a state-funded facility where enormous front end costs are okay. It’s not that we can’t make that tooling, it just isn’t cost effective for us to make that tooling to sell rifles commercially when other countries are already set up for it with equipment that is already bought and paid for decades ago.

So we mimicked it with cheaper options. That means instead of forgings you end up with investment casting or die casting of parts, when they weren’t intended to be built that way. You get small companies trying to do what was done by huge state arsenals.

To suggest we can’t do it… of course we can. Why would we if there is no profit motive?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never suggested we can’t do it, I’ve implied we could do it much better. We would take a gun designed to be loose and tighten up just by the fact we do not manufacture products that way. If a AK was built tight it most likely be prone to jams as the secret to a AKs reliability is being loose and way over gassed. The AK was designed for quantity, cost effectiveness, be used by conscripts with little education, cleaned with diesel and lubed with motor oil.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have never suggested we can’t do it, I’ve implied we could do it much better. We would take a gun designed to be loose and tighten up just by the fact we do not manufacture products that way. If a AK was built tight it most likely be prone to jams as the secret to a AKs reliability is being loose and way over gassed. The AK was designed for quantity, cost effectiveness, be used by conscripts with little education, cleaned with diesel and lubed with motor oil.
View Quote

Why do you think that the US was incapable of manufacturing an AK that would work? Look at the M3 grease gun. It’s an almost completely stamped smg with huge clearances.

If we wanted an intermediate rifle stemming from the Stg44 or Stg44, we could’ve easily built a great version. Ordnance just wasn’t at all interested in an intermediate rifle. They turned down the 280 British and were dead set on a full power cartridge.

Stg45 led into the cetme and eventually the g3. The stg44 led into the FAL. Unfortunately NATO required both designs to be produced in 7.62 Cetme/NATO. Both were originally designed as intermediate cartridge rifles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why do you think that the US was incapable of manufacturing an AK that would work? Look at the M3 grease gun. It’s an almost completely stamped smg with huge clearances.

If we wanted an intermediate rifle stemming from the Stg44 or Stg44, we could’ve easily built a great version. Ordnance just wasn’t at all interested in an intermediate rifle. They turned down the 280 British and were dead set on a full power cartridge.

Stg45 led into the cetme and eventually the g3. The stg44 led into the FAL. Unfortunately NATO required both designs to be produced in 7.62 Cetme/NATO. Both were originally designed as intermediate cartridge rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For fucks sake, read what I said, I said we would probably make it to tight (no clearances) and it would loose its legendary reliability. This is simply from superior manufacturing, educated work force and superior manufacturing equipment, so by default our builds would be to good. I’d like to also add why would we want to build a trash can gun such as a AK?

The STG44 uses a gas system of the SVT40.  The gas system is driven by a short-stroke, spring-loaded piston housed above the barrel, and the locking mechanism is what is known as a tilting breechblock. To lock, it drops down into a solid shoulder of metal in the heavy receiver much like the bolts of the Russian SKS carbine and French MAS-49 series of semi-automatic rifles.

US Ordnance was convinced that shortening the 30.06 to .308 was now a intermediate. We strong armed NATO to adopt the 308, hell politics forced the M14 over the FAL. The STG44 or even the STG45 only share or have in common to the FAL is the original chambering of the 7.92x33. The British suggested the 280 as they were designing a new rifle and wanted a 280 FAL for trials. Dieudonné Saive knew that his FAL design had to chamber the round the US Military used in order for success, he hedged his bets the 308:would be the NATO round, so while the 280 was built he knew he had to also needed it to chamber and work with the 308.

The USA was pushing the 30 light rifle (308j and the T44 which would become the M14, when the Churchill became prime minister again Truman and Churchill had some sort of agreement making the FAL the NATO standard and the 308 becoming the 7.62 NATO.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top