Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Blind Horse Knives PLSK2 is perfect for camping hiking. Not sure what you mean by "do it all" but this does everything a fixed blade this size is supposed to do.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/514647/3EB5E0EE-548C-4C86-88CF-EAFAFD01F946-1901947.jpg

The company is now called Battle Horse Knives and they have a similar knife to the PLSK2 called the Highlander.

These are all hand made knives in the USA not machine made in China like the others posted above.
View Quote

ESEE, Gerber LMF II and Becker BK7 are not made in China.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So the problem with the internet is there's so much information and so many situations. So like you, I have zero desire to get in a knife fight. I worked with a guy who did knife fighting training. Fuck that.

So where am I then? Well I like to camp so I want a beefier knife to do stuff. And being completely honest, I like cool stuff too just because. So I got an Esse 6 because that'll be a great camping knife for whatever. When I got a Tomahawk I opted for a quality manufacturer but I thought "Man the spike is kinda cool. I mean I don't need that, but if the tool is already quality why not indulge for cool?" I actually do use the spike sometimes for moving logs and shit but being honest it was for fun.

Moras are just so great and cheap I have a billion. They're in my truck and my packs and everywhere. They do pretty much everything except split wood. I've fileted fish with them, cut paracord, trimmed branches for kindling, etc.

So basically I camp and do outdoors activities, so my knives get used, but I also like to be like "lol that's fun" when I use it. I haven't been camping since I picked up the Esse a few months ago. I have shoehorned Moras into everything and probably given like 3 away.
View Quote

I just picked up the KaBar Harpoon a few months ago.  I haven't used it for anything aside from testing it on batoning some red oak firewood I have.  It blasted through that with ease - granted it was well seasoned wood.  The MoraKnivs I have come sharp as it is, and are easy to keep really sharp.  Years of camping - albeit years ago - in scouts taught me that saws beat axes/hatchets for cutting wood - axes/hatchets beat knives for chopping/splitting wood and knives beat axes/hatches for finer work.  There is no "one best tool".
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just picked up the KaBar Harpoon a few months ago.  I haven't used it for anything aside from testing it on batoning some red oak firewood I have.  It blasted through that with ease - granted it was well seasoned wood.  The MoraKnivs I have come sharp as it is, and are easy to keep really sharp.  Years of camping - albeit years ago - in scouts taught me that saws beat axes/hatchets for cutting wood - axes/hatchets beat knives for chopping/splitting wood and knives beat axes/hatches for finer work.  There is no "one best tool".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the problem with the internet is there's so much information and so many situations. So like you, I have zero desire to get in a knife fight. I worked with a guy who did knife fighting training. Fuck that.

So where am I then? Well I like to camp so I want a beefier knife to do stuff. And being completely honest, I like cool stuff too just because. So I got an Esse 6 because that'll be a great camping knife for whatever. When I got a Tomahawk I opted for a quality manufacturer but I thought "Man the spike is kinda cool. I mean I don't need that, but if the tool is already quality why not indulge for cool?" I actually do use the spike sometimes for moving logs and shit but being honest it was for fun.

Moras are just so great and cheap I have a billion. They're in my truck and my packs and everywhere. They do pretty much everything except split wood. I've fileted fish with them, cut paracord, trimmed branches for kindling, etc.

So basically I camp and do outdoors activities, so my knives get used, but I also like to be like "lol that's fun" when I use it. I haven't been camping since I picked up the Esse a few months ago. I have shoehorned Moras into everything and probably given like 3 away.

Like 15 years ago I went camping with my two best friends and one got too drunk and lost the saw somewhere. We were also drunk and said "THAT'S IT NO MORE SAWS YOU BLEW IT" and just in a weird case of giving our buddy shit and being unreasonably stubborn we have never camped with a saw again. Sometimes when we're slightly inconvenienced by not having one we remind him it is all his fault, and he is the reason we cannot have saws anymore.

He tried to break free of this about 8 years after the fact by purchasing a nice quality saw, but stone cold sober it was tossed into the wilderness while reminding him there will never be saws again and it's all his fault.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Randall 28 by FredMan, on Flickr

Randall 28 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a small tote box full of Moraknivs of various makes and models, but I would have to say that the Companion is hands-down my favorite.

I have a carbon steel Companion I use for general food prep needs, and a stainless steel Companion I use for fishing. I also have a stainless steel filet knife for fishing.

I have a few Bushcraft models, but they feel bulky compared to the Companion.

I also have a carbon steel Basic I've beat on pretty thoroughly, so that I don't abuse my Companion any more than necessary. The spine and handle are pretty chewed up from playing around with quartz as flint, but it's a perfect size for small projects. I think the Basic's best feature is the large finger guard, giving it a very secure grip, which I like. The Craftline and Pro models have the same grip design.

I know the Kansbol and Garberg models are popular, but the lack of a finger guard makes me nervous. It looks like it would be too easy to slip forward on the grip when applying any forward pressure. I know they're great knives, I just happen to be rather picky and risk averse when it comes to knives. I've broken a few folders over the years, which has made me cautious of where my fingers are in relation to the blade.

For a general purpose knife, it's still hard to imagine that these $100+ knives being posted are somehow better or more capable than a Morakniv Companion.

Granted, some of these high end knives are practically works of art, but I personally would rather have a dozen Companions than one really expensive knife.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He tried to break free of this about 8 years after the fact by purchasing a nice quality saw, but stone cold sober it was tossed into the wilderness while reminding him there will never be saws again and it's all his fault.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any member here who doesn't have at least six Moras needs to face death by snu snu.

There's just no excuse
i wanna punch out via snu snu with hope solo.

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2012/08/15/145370585_custom-8ef4c54eea44f1f2ee9a193012758eba2854e06e.jpg

Have you seen her butthole though?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Years of camping - albeit years ago - in scouts taught me that saws beat axes/hatchets for cutting wood - axes/hatchets beat knives for chopping/splitting wood and knives beat axes/hatches for finer work.  There is no "one best tool".
View Quote

Yep.  At Scout Camp, we could always tell who the newest Scouts were when it came time to collect and make firewood.  New Scouts always went for the hatchets--because, hey--it's in our blood to like pseudo-weapons.  Hatchets are cool.
Bowsaws make firewood and poles.  Quickly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys do realize humans made it with sharpened stone and shit blades for eons without spending hundreds on a blade right? Carbon steel is all you need. No homo/ no poor.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#10]
ESEE 4 vs 6. Shitty pic, but I don't have studio lighting and you get the gist.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Threads like this one are filled with nothing but pictures of 400 dollar safe queens.  Flash!!  There is no do all knife.  If you want something useful, get a Morakniv, and a decent Leatherman or Gerber tool.  Take the rest of the money and spend it on something useful like maybe an Appleseed shoot.  

Q:  When was the last time you were in combat?

A:  During your last wet dream.
View Quote

I have a Combat Africa as well.  It lives in the box in which it was presented to me.  The chance that it will ever serve its intended role is close to zero and gets smaller every day.  It is a work of art and a personal treasure.  I would never have spent the money for one, but I have no desire to part with it.

That said, a Case Trapper is an infinity more useful tool for my everyday life.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Like 15 years ago I went camping with my two best friends and one got too drunk and lost the saw somewhere. We were also drunk and said "THAT'S IT NO MORE SAWS YOU BLEW IT" and just in a weird case of giving our buddy shit and being unreasonably stubborn we have never camped with a saw again. Sometimes when we're slightly inconvenienced by not having one we remind him it is all his fault, and he is the reason we cannot have saws anymore.

View Quote

Lmao!  That's a great story.  I'm not sure a more perfect example of men's friendships can be found.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I use one of these for a ton of stuff.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While you are making up your mind on what $$$$ Survival knife to get, grab a few Mora Knifes (different models/colors),
and have fun with them and then eventually forget you were going to spend $$$$ on a fancy surival knife.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79948/Mora-1904468.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79948/mora-knife-article-photo-1-1904470.jpg

View Quote

I second this. Great affordable knives.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Just about any of John Horrigan’s blades...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#16]
There really isn't a "do-it-all" knife. Compromises have to be made depending on what task you're undertaking.

For a camping/bushcraft tasks, take a look at the Jeff White Bush Knife. You probably won't find much better for the price. You'll have to sign up for email notifications...it sells out FAST.

Bush Knife

(Yeah I know, some of you will object that it's Dave Canterbury's website, but try finding that knife anywhere else).

If you're not into that one, take your pick of Becker Knife & Tool BK2/BK22, BK7, BK10 or ESSE-4 or ESSE-4HM.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lmao!  That's a great story.  I'm not sure a more perfect example of men's friendships can be found.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a bunch of friends but the friends I have are awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ESEE 4 is a very practical general purpose knife. A 'do all' knife probably can't do much at all.
View Quote

A fantastic knife for the money, but the Esee PR4 corrects the one major problem the Esee 4 has...blade thickness.

The PR4 is on sale at Amazon for $100. I'd say best bushcraft/survival knife (I know of) in the 100 dollar range.

That said, I just purchased the Lars Falt Casstrom knife. 4.5" blade, 3.5mm thick scandi grind in K720 steel $180.

Pardon the oily grime...I'm currently applying lindseed oil to the curly birch handles. This is an amazing knife in this price range!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#21]

I must say, that is a beautiful knife!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:44:25 AM EDT
[#22]
These Esee knives keep drawing me in, especially that J2. Maybe I've been watching too much Venture Brothers lately (Brock).
I've read reviews of the HM knives about fingers riding up on the cutting edge.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#23]
This is probably not an all-around useful knife, but DO WANT.

US Navy Ontario Mk3 Mod 0
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
While you are making up your mind on what $$$$ Survival knife to get, grab a few Mora Knifes (different models/colors),
and have fun with them and then eventually forget you were going to spend $$$$ on a fancy surival knife.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79948/Mora-1904468.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79948/mora-knife-article-photo-1-1904470.jpg

View Quote

^This^
I have two. On is a carbon steel 3.5 in. that I put a patina on, it turned it almost black, kinda interesting. the second is a SS 4.1 in. version that is a kick around. Nothing it hasn't done that I've asked it to, and for the price, I've asked some ignorant things of it. Still looks and preforms as new, so far. If I run across a great price on a 4 inch carbon, I'll probably get one, just to have the dark blade. Unfortunately, these seem to be a victim of their own success, as the pricing is inching upward, almost weekly.
Both take and hold and edge that gives off impending doom when taken from the scabbard. Just right.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Had to do a little inventory; missing a couple  These are what I consider my collection of "belt knives"  I have a larger custom and Cold Steel SRK that are at the maximum blade length/OAL size for what I would consider a belt knife.  Of course, I have a few dozen Mora knives which are great knives, but for something more substantial, many of these fit the bill a little better (the Mora 2000 is in this group).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Had to do a little inventory; missing a couple  These are what I consider my collection of "belt knives"  I have a larger custom and Cold Steel SRK that are at the maximum blade length/OAL size for what I would consider a belt knife.  Of course, I have a few dozen Mora knives which are great knives, but for something more substantial, many of these fit the bill a little better (the Mora 2000 is in this group).

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210416_135129.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210416_135913.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210416_135129.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210416_135913.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

That's a helluva collection...I'm a little jelly...
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

How do you store these?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Either one of these.

Or this
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

2nd from upper left:  Randall or Blackjack knife?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

Hey @ROCK6 what are the two sheaths in the top right of your first picture ? They look like specops CMs but i have not seen them with buckles before... modified ?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Mora Companion Stainless here, but I should not have gotten the heavy duty. For one, wanted to upgrade when this one wore out.

I also think the thinner carbon steel blade is the sweet spot in terms of utility for just about everything, and "heavy duty" in the Mora world is swedish for total fucking overkill.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Randall Model 5-5 (but in their stainless) w/ these options:

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ask Aimless for advice.

@Aimless
View Quote

Just make sure you buy through Blade HQ after he gives the pro tip lol.

ESEE is probably a safe bet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mora Companion Stainless here, but I should not have gotten the heavy duty. For one, wanted to upgrade when this one wore out.

I also think the thinner carbon steel blade is the sweet spot in terms of utility for just about everything, and "heavy duty" in the Mora world is swedish for total fucking overkill.
View Quote

I have a few of each, and agree that the 0.10" blade seems more useful than the 0.125" blade, without sacrificing much at all in terms of durability.

I don't mind the thicker blade on the Bushcraft though, where it seems more appropriate.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#37]
The Flat Rock Forge Pisgah
6" 3/16"thick 80CrV2 with natural Micarta scales
" />

satin finish, polished version
" />
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How do you store these?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
How do you store these?

@BigFatDog
Some in one safe, most in a massive tool drawer/cabinet (which holds a crap ton of mags too)  I think each side of the cabinet has five or six drawers (almost 3x3 foot and 8" deep per drawer).  One bottom drawer has a butt load of machetes, parangs, goloks, kukris and some larger bladed tools.

Quoted:
2nd from upper left:  Randall or Blackjack knife?

@Merlin
In the sheath?  It's a Blackjack.  I only have a couple Randalls (one pictured on the bottom row).

Quoted:
Hey @ROCK6 what are the two sheaths in the top right of your first picture ? They look like specops CMs but i have not seen them with buckles before... modified ?

@Skydivesnake
Both are Spec-Ops.  Must be older models.  The front pouches are a thick stretch material with a zipper and a horizontal snap-strap along with the vertical buckle straps.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@BigFatDog
Some in one safe, most in a massive tool drawer/cabinet (which holds a crap ton of mags too)  I think each side of the cabinet has five or six drawers (almost 3x3 foot and 8" deep).  One bottom drawer has a butt load of machetes, parangs, goloks, kukris and some larger bladed tools.

@Merlin
In the sheath?  It's a Blackjack.  I only have a couple Randalls (one pictured on the bottom row).

@Skydivesnake
Both are Spec-Ops.  Must be older models.  The front pouches are a thick stretch material with a zipper and a horizontal snap-strap along with the vertical buckle straps.

ROCK6
View Quote
pics?!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Harbor Freight $6.00 survival ??.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
pics?!
View Quote

@JLPettimoreIII
Hahaha, it's not much (but it was free!):

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why one, in survival, I'm fishing, that means a cheap dexter fillet knife, they are under $30. I don't want to fillet a trout or mackerel with a kabar.
View Quote

How many knives you plan on carrying?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How many knives you plan on carrying?
View Quote

Really depends but I would bet many here carry at least a folder and/or a multitool.  Add a belt knife and it could be few.  Knives (including saws, axes, etc.) are just tools, some are more efficient at certain tasks than others.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is probably not an all-around useful knife, but DO WANT.

US Navy Ontario Mk3 Mod 0
View Quote

I’ve had one since 1990?  It’s extremely mediocre but the sheath has a built in sharpener, it doesn’t corrode, and its tough.  It’s kind of meh at cutting stuff with the thickness and the grind; but you can drill and punch holes in things with it.  And it does OK on prying.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Fieldcraft by Brothers of Bushcraft or an Architect 5.5
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Just get a Buck 119. USA made, about $50.

Or spend a little more, and get a Grohman Canadian Belt Knife.

Either one will do anything you need of it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just get a Buck 119. USA made, about $50.

Or spend a little more, and get a Grohman Canadian Belt Knife.

Either one will do anything you need of it.
View Quote

Wonderful butchering knife. A little delicate for some purposes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Wonderful butchering knife. A little delicate for some purposes.
View Quote
stainless or carbon?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
stainless or carbon?
View Quote

@JLPettimoreIII

Both my original #1 and the #3 Boat knives are stainless but my #4 Survival was custom with carbon steel blade.  While the carbon steel requires a little more attention for maintenance, I can get a much better and longer lasting edge with their carbon steel.  If I wasn't around salt water all the time, I would opt for their carbon steel blades.  With enough use, it will just get a beautiful patina and have a natural protective coating.

ROCK6
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top