Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have installed wood stoves in my own or in family members houses. It is not hard, and passed inspection without issue. It was primary heat in my previous house.

No way would I as a landlord let a tenant perform the installation.  The right tenant might be able to talk me into having it done.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if I wanted the house to burn.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If not how come?

I'm thinking about asking my landlord. Oils just getting scary.

Eta I worded it poorly. I didn't really mean doing it myself.

How much more would the insurance be? I wouldn't even be apposed to paying for it or the installation.

My question was more focused on having a wood stove in the house.
View Quote

You can do that when you buy your own house.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
If I was the landlord, I would ask myself, "Will this increase the rental or sale value of my property after OP moves out?"  I see OP is in NH, but I'm thinking most renters are not going to want to mess with wood.  If I wanted a parlor stove, I'd ask the landlord anyway.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, of course.  If I didn’t trust them they wouldn’t be living there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Had a rental property, if installed by a reputable place I’d have zero issue though I would want something drawn up regarding its payment and status. I would also ask as part of that some approval as to the stove installed. No barrel welded up by Jim bob down the street. I also wouldn’t allow it if a tenant was just going to turn around and say I have to reimburse 100% for it next month when they move. I’d not be opposed to working with a tenant on most things, one that’s willing to properly maintain the property and make improvements is most definitely one id want to keep happy.

ETA: Never dealt with the whole multi family thing and it’s easy enough to pull the stove if the next tenant isn’t maintaining things which some don’t like to inspect.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]
No, if my house is already supplied with a heating source, you aren't putting in an alternative heat source.  

Guess what happens if the house burns down and the cause of the fire is determined to be a wood stove that wasn't supposed to be there. Home owners insurance  will refuse the payoff. Home owner will go after the tenant.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HealthyShadowyAnaconda-max-1mb.gif

Too much liability of a fire - YOU may be a responsible tenant, but what about the next guy, or guy after that.  Might possibly consider an external unit like these. but never an indoor one.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/Heatmaster_Outdoor_Wood_Boiler.jpg/1200px-Heatmaster_Outdoor_Wood_Boiler.jpg
View Quote

This was also the first thing I thought of, an external detached wood furnace, in a separate out building. There is way too much liability with renters and an internal wood stove. The chimney needs to get swept, and depending on the quality of the firewood, it could be pretty often. I know of one guy out here that burns ponderosa pine and he has to do it regularly. NH has larger quantities of better wood for burning so it may not be as much of an issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:25:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My only one was Christmas tree lights. And smoke detector batteries removed.

Killed a husband/wife and 9 year old daughter on Christmas Eve at 1 AM  :(

Now as I redo the houses i hardwire them in.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way would I let that fly. Possibly a pellet stove as they are far more fool proof/safer and only if they agree to take out an additional policy covering it and only if it is professionally installed. I've had tenants burn up a house without a wood stove. Ain't no way I'm giving them a reason to intentionally start a fire in my house.

My only one was Christmas tree lights. And smoke detector batteries removed.

Killed a husband/wife and 9 year old daughter on Christmas Eve at 1 AM  :(

Now as I redo the houses i hardwire them in.

This shouldn't be much an issue anymore if you use LED Christmas tree lights. If you still have the old type, get LED ones instead, they are cool to the touch and use way less power.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This was also the first thing I thought of, an external detached wood furnace, in a separate out building. There is way too much liability with renters and an internal wood stove. The chimney needs to get swept, and depending on the quality of the firewood, it could be pretty often. I know of one guy out here that burns ponderosa pine and he has to do it regularly. NH has larger quantities of better wood for burning so it may not be as much of an issue.
View Quote

It's not so much the type of wood but the quality and moisture content of the wood.  You have to burn twice as much ponderosa pine to get the same  BTUs as Oak.   Firewood needs to be below 20% moisture content to burn clean.  Anything with more moisture will create creosote and not heat as well because you have to boil out water before combustion can occur.  Then you end up burning more wet wood just creating more creosote.  

If you don't have wood cut, split, and drying already it will probably be too wet to burn this winter.  OP would need to source true seasoned wood like mill slabs or butt ends which still may be too wet.  I have a local sawmill that won't sell any wood to burn until it's seasoned, just to cover his ass if someone fills their chimney with creosote and has a fire.  Most people selling seasoned firewood are full of shit.  It's too green.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wouldn't let a tenant install anything more complicated than a hanging picture frame.
View Quote

This right here.

My tenants asked if they could install light commercial bakery ovens/equipment in the back yard and run them with a diesel generator.
They were planning on running an unpermitted bakery out of my house.

I was like W....T.....F

At least they asked. I guess.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
depends on the tenant, i suppose.

i wouldn't trust most tenants to do it right.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 3:34:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I see a lot of people posting this. My insurance is fine with it but I remove them.

Lots of the houses I buy have the chimneys right up the middle and I completely gut them and rip them out.

What insurance company do you have?

View Quote
Nationwide
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#16]
The first thing I did was remove a wood stove from one of the rentals I bought.  Too much potential headache and liability, and it opened up the space for renters who might not use it anyway.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Put a heat pump on our rental. Knocked the propane usage down 1/3 at least.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#18]
No.

In fact, I would have a specific clause in the lease saying “you can’t bring fire in a rental.”
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I have 2 rentals - not a chance in Hell. Don’t care that they pay for it all, there’s no f-ing  way.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:05:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Depends on what your homeowners insurance allows and if you require renters insurance.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Not a chance in hell.

Lots of risk, zero reward.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why would I?   No upside, only risk.
View Quote

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top